weekly Nick's 52/12 Week Challenge - Week 52 - ''Busy (in York)" Finished !!! :-) " added

Direction... it works and fits the theme well, the second shot appears sharper (probably diffraction softening on the first), but in this case I rather like the effect.. I didn't read the text first, and was wondering if that was an aviation map :D...

Fear, Fits perfectly. I like it, but wonder if it doesn't need a bit of a boost in exposure/brightness and contrast to.. the ground seems quite dark on my monitor

Thanks John,I could have lightened it somewhat but wanted to convey an image of darkness, fear and foreboding.... ;)

Weak 3 - 'Sigh'

I have been thinking about the theme of 'sigh' all day and concluded that most people sigh when deep in thought.

With that in mind, I thought I would photograph a little statue that I have called 'The Thinker' by Auguste Rodin (The original is in the Musée Rodin in Paris) and many of you will recognise it.

"The Thinker' is only 101.6mm in height so I used my macro lens, tripod and photographed the subject at F/32 for about 2 seconds. I used a single lightbox (and silver reflector) as the light source to capture the textures within a very tight crop which I hope I have achieved:-

6884725588_fe3cf745fe_b.jpg

6884725894_91b2360943_b.jpg

Again, a very difficult subject this week and quite a thought provoking one. As ever all critique and comments welcome.

Many thanks,

Nick

Last edited:
Nice shot, I agree it's such a hard theme this week that a direct link to the Sigh is going to be hard!
I like your thought process tho...

Nice pic Nick but as you say its going to be hard this week to capture the true word and try to interpret the meaning but overall I thought it was good well done.

Daren, Jay, Dark Knight and Paul,

Many thanks for your comments. Not an easy one at all this week but i'm quite pleased with the results.

Nick

Very nice Nick, another good one from you :)

I would be tempeted to crop slightly differently, you have clipped the back and knuckles, think I would crop tight to the back but leave a little bit of space on the right for the statue to look into.

Lighting is good as it the way the statue stands out from the back ground and you got the DOF spot on as well :)

Watching you're 52 with interest..

Interesting interpretation, for me a little dark and too close a crop BUT not an easy theme!

Think this week is going to be extremely difficult to portray, however with your explanation I think this shot does work. I agree with rolls comments on the tight crop on the image. Overall a (y) from me!!!

This theme took a lot of thinking about so yes it fits for me. Nicely photographed Nick ;)

I like the shot. It says "contemplation" more than sigh perhaps, but then it's a VERY difficult week!

I like the thinking behind this, and can see where it fits the theme, but i agree with Gramps and would have liked to have seen it a bit lighter with a bit more space round him.

No2 works better for me.
The first seems too closely cropped, but no2 is just right.

Chris

even tho he's 'The Thinker' I think 'The Sigh' actually works better :) I like the 2nd shot better.

btw your link from page 1 doesn't work :) HTH

Hi Nick,

You're off to a great start. Direction, nice composition, like the way you've placed the objects. Fear, that's an excellent shot, like everything about it.
Sigh, the second version is definately my favourite.

Well done.

Carol

I like Direction but prefer the 2nd version - it seems less cluttered.

Fear is very good, true sense of height and good use of selective colour.

Not keen on Sigh, well taken picture but the subject is, to me, too heavily associated with thinking not sighing.

Agree that, for me, it could do with a little more foreground light. As for the theme... it's our own interpretation of the subject ;)

I’m about 70/30 on whether the shot says sigh or thinking to be honest but it’s a hard theme to interpret so I think we will all come up with something different that others don’t agree with but it’s your interpretation that counts not mine.
I think I would like to see a shot in between the two thou.

Week 4 - 'Sweet'

Well on this weeks subject I have tried to convey 'sweet' as an adjective - a taste characteristic of sugar or honey; not salty, sour, or bitter and also a nounn as in affectionate form of address to a person one is very fond of: as in "hello, my sweet".

After the last two weeks challenge this one has been a little easier for me and a quick walk down the sweet isle at Sainsburys was the inspiration for this concept.

I wanted to try to replicate the original pastel colours and show a bit of order to the photograph hence the colour sets and composition.

I also tried piling them on top of each other in a neat stack and also in a heap but they didn't work as well.

6736507021_015c638eb1_b.jpg

The sweets were placed on an illuminated light box and a silver reflector used in conjunction with a flash.

Nick

Last edited:
I like no. 1 the best but the light is blown a bit, the colour is washed out, they'd be ok in B&W :LOL:

nice focus tho :)

Personally I really like #1. The hard light with a lot of contrast and the cracks/dust of the sweets suits the processing but I would have been tempted to get words/phrases that suited together - the crop doesn't really work for me unless you put the others a bit more out of focus in which case it would be fine...

Back