weekly Nick's 52/12 Week Challenge - Week 52 - ''Busy (in York)" Finished !!! :-) " added

Hi Nick,

Sweet - The overexposure is a problem. I think maybe try a different way of lighting the shot? I do think the idea is really good and I believe there's a good photo to be made from those heart shaped sweets (I would have gone for the "Sweet Heart" one myself) but exposure and lighting is key, as always.

Have to agree with the other's here, a tad over exposed but a good idea (y)

Hi Nick, good start to your 52.

Direction - as with most the 1st version wins it for me, a better view point than the 2nd.

Fear - is a cracking shot, theme spot on too.

Sigh - again good shots but for me not sure it fits the theme.

Week 4 - 'Sweet' - reshoot

Daren, Ben, Stephen, Michael, Sturisuma, DK, Nathalie. Nigel and Marsha,

Thanks for your comments I was really going for a very contrasting image, thanks CJ I prefer #1 too.

1) I have done a re-shoot but decided to get rid of the lightbox, the histogram says the exposures are spot on but for me it's just a little dull.

6884747720_6ea43ce6fa_b.jpg

2) And also the closer cropped version just becomes yet another macro-shot:

6884745672_e898da81e7_b.jpg

And here is #1 in monochrome:

7030844521_bc2be2bf94_c.jpg

I agree though in the above shot and the colour version 'Sweet Heart' would have been better centred. Thanks all for your comments and feedback it's all good stuff.

Nick

Last edited:
Second set are exposed better then the first attempt, I think there is going to be a lot of candy sweets in this weeks theme. :D

Hi Nick,

Love your first shot, although it does look great in mono the colour version just has the edge, only just!.... IMHO the over exposure makes the shot much more interesting...for me anyhow!lol

Carol

#1 of the first lot of sweet for me, like how the colours have come out. Makes it look a bit different. Like its super sweet!

The B&W look good too. Think its because its not how you expect to see those sweets.

(y)

Sigh : I like the textures, and the way it's shot and lit... not sure on the crop, but I think I prefer the mono version. Also agree it's not really saying sigh to me... but a tough theme

Sweet : Lots of options :D... I prefer the wider shot with the triangle... I'm inclined to agree with you on the second set, looking a bit dull, but the first look a bit over exposed... good idea though and it's bang on for the theme.

Good idea, I prefer #2 but would have preferred there to be no cut-off sweets - just one of my little 'things' :D

see now i could never do a shoot like this as my other half would just keep nicking them before i get a chance to take the photo lol

I think I like no 1 best. Would have worked best with the "sweet heart" one in the middle, but other than that I can't fault it :)

#1 for me, quite harsh flash on the sweets. But apart from that a really nice image that suits the theme really well.

the updated ones are much better. #1 is ok, don't think it's dull, love the last 2 tho :clap:

Nigel, Alby, Carol, Derrick, John, Phil, Gramps, Chris, Kristien, Mark, Ivan, Gareth, summer and Amanda,

Many thanks for your comments. I'm certainly learning a lot. Photography is such a subjective art form / medium it's really good to get some feedback. (y)

Roll on week 5

Nick

HI Nick

Trying to catch up with commenting so 'pologies for not getting here sooner :crying:

Sweet.....yum yum...loved them when I was a kid ...#1 of the reshoot takes top spot for me...much nicer ligh & colors & love the slight reflections :clap: my OCD is off again...I'd have liked to see all of the top row in shot & it to be more central to show the fact you've made a sweet heart with the sweethearts :)

Sigh...what a pig of a theme....some emotions are so difficult to capture !

I like the shot as an Image , nicely captured detail....but must confess that without your explanation I'd have seen thinking .

Keep up the good mister....(y)

Many thanks Lynne for your comment. I really enjoyed doing them. (y)

Week 5 - Secure

My initial thought this week was that 'secure' to me represents a little baby wrapped up in a blanket and held snugly in Mother or Fathers arms. I don't have access to any babies so that got me thinking.

My next thought was a padlock but that didn't sound that interesting or challenging. I don't think anything is particularly secure given the opportunity, inclination and determination of some individuals. A pair of bolt croppers would make light work of a padlock and sadly hundreds of babies go missing from hospitals around the world.

Secure is also quite subjective. One person may consider something to be secure and to others just an easy challenge with a work-arround.

Picture 1

Anyway I digress, this week I decided to get out and go for a walk having spent the last two themes inside the house I came across this disused industrial premises. I have no idea what the business was and there were no visual clues.

I always try to use the cameras manual settings and decided upon the 50mm this week for it's speed and clarity. ISO: 1/60 at F/2.8 (-5 EV exposure compensation)

I shot about 20 different images with differing compositions. Some of you may find the branches in the right foreground a little distracting but i feel they add to the neglect and decay of the scene. A closer crop of the gate looked a bit too clinical.

Secure - well the gate is!. Its chained and padlocked and a pile of bricks and debris prevent it from being opened in a hurry. It wouldn't take much to get in though would it?

7030911813_544da1374f_b.jpg

Picture 2

On my way back into the town I came across the below scene behind a local nightclub. I had walked past on numerous occasions but hadn't really taken the information in. I thought this one definitely hits the theme.

Again shot in manual mode with a 24mm lens. ISO 100, 1/800 F/4.5. The CCTV sign was my main PoF as it 'securely' captures images and as I mentioned earlier I didn't want just another padlock shot.

One picture,one wet knee and I was quickly on my way (shoot and scoot !) I didn't particuley wan't be caught taking photographs of security by the club owners or doormen.

A little bit of selective colouring in PSE10 and vignette post-production and here is the result:-

6884812892_0d76a0b8d4_b.jpg

So two different images from me on this theme this week and I couldn't really make up my mind which one to submit so here are them both and rationale behind them.

As any critique and comments welcome. Many thanks.

Nick

Last edited:
Like the 2nd photo for secure as the first one is too busy with a lot of distractions, the vignette also adds to your picture well done(y)

Week 4 - 'Sweet' - reshoot

Daren, Ben, Stephen, Michael, Sturisuma, DK, Nathalie. Nigel and Marsha,

Thanks for your comments I was really going for a very contrasting image, thanks CJ I prefer #1 too.

2) And also the closer cropped version just becomes yet another macro-shot:

6742010137_2c9c45e75a_b.jpg

Nick

Hi Nick,

sorry to be a pain, but I disagree. I really like this shot. The only complete sweet in the centre captures the attention and the colour is just right. Almost a Valentine card :)
I have to confess that I don't like love hearts; I walk my dogs on the canal next to the factory where these are made, and the sickly sweet smell is sometimes just too much..

I like both the secure shots. The first sends a message that the building is meant to be secure, the second is more focused on the actual lock. Is there a slight mask or selection remnant on the lock? They're both good interpretations.

I will agree with the majority with number 2,
I know your POF was the sign but my eye keeps coming back to the padlock it looks to much OOF compared to the gates just on the rusty bit.

Not sure on these, #1 actually looks quite insecure ... abandoned ... derelict.
#2 has the theme but I agree with above that the padlock is very prominent but oof.

Hi Nick,

Sweet - I really like the crop macro one- the use of macro shows up the detail in the sweets. You say that they dont seem to be bright and I thought that about mine as well but seeing as ours are the same we must be right!!:LOL::LOL:

I like your photos on secure. #1 being my favourite. The locked gate doesnt look very secure have you thought about going in to investigate more, I wouldn't be brave enough!!:):)

Number 1 for me for secure. But i think it would look rather nice with a mono conversion! would add to the look of decay! :D

I really like the first one - mainly because I tend to shoot anything that is red as it is called 'the photographers friend'. I can read a narrative into the image and understand more of the setting whilst knowing the story remains 'secure'.

Hi Nick,

I like no2, the locked gate and reference to security cameras is bang on theme.

Carol

I like both of your posts this week Nick, the first shot is very busy but I don't think that matters to my eyes. I like the overgrown plants and the general chaos of the picture. Gives it a different feel.

As for the second shot I like the composition and the use of selective colouring, not something I've tried myself. Although I do think the padlock could have been the main focal point. Looking at the shot on my iPad I can also see quite clearly the edges of the mask you have used for the selective colouring.

Other than that a good effort for this weeks theme.

Hi there. #1 not for me. Secure indeed but it feels a bit busy. #2, secure indeed, doubly so. Low angle is a nice touch. Just the padlock looks a bit strange.

Cheers.

Back