Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

Took the V1 out for the first time this morning to use with the 300 f4 PF & 500 f4 VR, bit of a murky morning but it was a very interesting trial.
Carrying the V1 with the 300 f4 PF is amazing ... 800mm at the 'weight of a feather' is a whole new experience.
It wasn't really a fair test as the light was very poor for most of the morning and I hadn't had any previous experience of using the V1, however some observations:-

Pros
  • It's very light, amazing to have so much packed into a small casing.
  • The bright viewfinder makes it easy to see what you are photographing.
  • The electronic shutter (selection choice) makes for totally silent photography, great for wildlife.
  • The availability of the FT-1 adapter means the V1 can be used with any Nikon AF-S lens (and doubtless some 3rd party lenses) making for some very long options.
  • For a 10mp camera the results aren't bad.

Cons
  • ISO is a bit 'clunky', you can select one value or you can select Auto 100-800 or Auto 100-3200 and allow it to choose the ISO based on what it thinks best, however it does not display what it has selected so you simply don't know.
  • The Mode Dial on the back can easily be moved off of its selected position ... moving from 'Stills' to Video for example.
  • There seemed to be a small lag from pressing the shutter button to the image being taken, this meant that a selected pose was missed, the bird that was looking at you may now have turned away ... or worse flown away!
  • After taking a photo the resultant image remains in the viewfinder for a few seconds so you can't immediately see to take the next shot.
  • Using the FT-1 adapter to enable the use of standard AF-S Nikon lenses means that AF is only available using the center single-point.

Some sample photos from the morning.

View attachment 112915

View attachment 112918

View attachment 112920

View attachment 112921

and a short video clip

Is it possible to turn image review off in the EVF, i suppose we have to remember mirrorless has moved on since the conception of the 1 series.

Is it possible to turn image review off in the EVF, i suppose we have to remember mirrorless has moved on since the conception of the 1 series.
Good call, I'll check that out. :)

I will save you the trouble Gramps you can not turn the review off. Its my only real gripe with the V1. I believe its posiible to do so on the V2.
I get around it by holding the shutter down and then it becomes real time. It wastes a lot of shots but as its not film I live with it.

Cons
  • After taking a photo the resultant image remains in the viewfinder for a few seconds so you can't immediately see to take the next shot.

If you just slightly tap the shutter release after taking the shot, you get the viewfinder back immediately.

Took the V1 out for the first time this morning to use with the 300 f4 PF & 500 f4 VR, bit of a murky morning but it was a very interesting trial.
Carrying the V1 with the 300 f4 PF is amazing ... 800mm at the 'weight of a feather' is a whole new experience.
It wasn't really a fair test as the light was very poor for most of the morning and I hadn't had any previous experience of using the V1, however some observations:-

Pros
  • It's very light, amazing to have so much packed into a small casing.
  • The bright viewfinder makes it easy to see what you are photographing.
  • The electronic shutter (selection choice) makes for totally silent photography, great for wildlife.
  • The availability of the FT-1 adapter means the V1 can be used with any Nikon AF-S lens (and doubtless some 3rd party lenses) making for some very long options.
  • For a 10mp camera the results aren't bad.

Cons
  • ISO is a bit 'clunky', you can select one value or you can select Auto 100-800 or Auto 100-3200 and allow it to choose the ISO based on what it thinks best, however it does not display what it has selected so you simply don't know.
  • The Mode Dial on the back can easily be moved off of its selected position ... moving from 'Stills' to Video for example.
  • There seemed to be a small lag from pressing the shutter button to the image being taken, this meant that a selected pose was missed, the bird that was looking at you may now have turned away ... or worse flown away!
  • Using the FT-1 adapter to enable the use of standard AF-S Nikon lenses means that AF is only available using the center single-point.

Some sample photos from the morning.

View attachment 112915

View attachment 112918

View attachment 112920

View attachment 112921

and a short video clip

Cracking shots Gramps, so crisp! I have to ask - I’m a rival, having recently purchased an M3 (Canon!) and the equivalent adapter to use EOA lens on it. Now, I’m not “insanely” impressed with the focus speed; you mention that you get single point option with AFS Lena - genuinely how do you find it? Plenty quick enough?

Cracking shots Gramps, so crisp! I have to ask - I’m a rival, having recently purchased an M3 (Canon!) and the equivalent adapter to use EOA lens on it. Now, I’m not “insanely” impressed with the focus speed; you mention that you get single point option with AFS Lena - genuinely how do you find it? Plenty quick enough?

My other camera being a D500, the V1 with FT-1 is way behind and it could never be my 'go-to' for wildlife or birds-in-flight.
Having said that I have only been out with it once so it's early days, I'm out again this morning with it and will be giving it more testing but the combination of V1 and 300 PF is (weight-wise) a fantastic 810mm walkabout!

Out for the 2nd time this morning and used the V1 with the 300 f4 PF, latterly with a TC-14 EII attached.

V1 + 300 + 1.4 Equiv 1130mm handheld.

Resting Mandarin Duck

Mandarin Duck
by Roger, on Flickr

Pied Wagtail

Pied Wagtail
by Roger, on Flickr

Pied Wagtail
by Roger, on Flickr

Juvenile Coot

Juvenile Coot
by Roger, on Flickr

Jackdaw

Jackdaw
by Roger, on Flickr

I was quite pleasantly surprised to see what the combination was able to produce to be honest and I am really liking what it can do at such a small carrying weight.

Out for the 2nd time this morning and used the V1 with the 300 f4 PF, latterly with a TC-14 EII attached.

Resting Mandarin Duck

Mandarin Duck
by Roger, on Flickr

Pied Wagtail

Pied Wagtail
by Roger, on Flickr

Pied Wagtail
by Roger, on Flickr

Juvenile Coot

Juvenile Coot
by Roger, on Flickr

Jackdaw

Jackdaw
by Roger, on Flickr

I was quite pleasantly surprised to see what the combination was able to produce to be honest and I am really liking what it can do at such a small carrying weight.

Nice captures, did you take a note of the Wagtails ring number :D

Resting Mandarin Duck

Mandarin Duck
by Roger, on Flickr

Pied Wagtail

Pied Wagtail
by Roger, on Flickr

Pied Wagtail
by Roger, on Flickr

Juvenile Coot

Juvenile Coot
by Roger, on Flickr

Jackdaw

Jackdaw
by Roger, on Flickr

excellent

Resting Mandarin Duck

Mandarin Duck
by Roger, on Flickr

Really good Roger, obviously at 1/40th handheld it was never gonna be a crispy sharp shot but seeing what you’ve achieved is enough to make me dig out my V1 and give it ago with my 300PF and 1.4 TC. I just bought the iShoot mount ring (£25) for the 300PF so I will take the set up out with a monopod.

Really good Roger, obviously at 1/40th handheld it was never gonna be a crispy sharp shot but seeing what you’ve achieved is enough to make me dig out my V1 and give it ago with my 300PF and 1.4 TC. I just bought the iShoot mount ring (£25) for the 300PF so I will take the set up out with a monopod.
Thanks Graham, that was my thinking, monopod next time to see if/what difference it makes.
I've only used the V1 twice and both times mainly in dull overcast light but I enjoyed it so much yesterday that I didn't take the D500 + 500 f4 out of the backpack. :)

Sunshine ;) so had to have a play with the V1 combo this morning.

No cropping on these, bit of tweaking here and there in Photoshop but am reasonably pleased with these for 1134mm.

Nikon V1 - 300PF - 1.4TC - f5.6 - 1/250th - ISO180
V1 Test A by bigbudgie, on Flickr

Nikon V1 - 300PF - 1.4TC - f5.6 - 1/250th - ISO125
V1 Test B by bigbudgie, on Flickr

Nikon V1 - 300PF - 1.4TC - f5.6 - 1/500th - ISO560
V1 Test C by bigbudgie, on Flickr

Like #2 the most ... I'm having too much fun with my V1 it's stopping me using my D500! :eek:

Like #2 the most ... I'm having too much fun with my V1 it's stopping me using my D500! :eek:
Ditto !
I agree that it's totally useless as a combo for Birds in flight as the autofocus is just far too slow but not too bad as a long reach solution for static subjects.
It goes to show how good the Nikon 300mm f4 PF is as well. I usually have this lens permanently attached to my D500 or D5. I really do hope Nikon follow up with 400mm or 500mm PF versions . Would probably cost a small fortune though if its technically possible.
Have you tried the V1 with your 500mm lens yet Gramps? I'm planning to try the 200-500m this afternoon.

Ditto !
I agree that it's totally useless as a combo for Birds in flight as the autofocus is just far too slow but not too bad as a long reach solution for static subjects.
It goes to show how good the Nikon 300mm f4 PF is as well. I usually have this lens permanently attached to my D500 or D5. I really do hope Nikon follow up with 400mm or 500mm PF versions . Would probably cost a small fortune though if its technically possible.
Have you tried the V1 with your 500mm lens yet Gramps? I'm planning to try the 200-500m this afternoon.

I have tried it with the 500 f4 but not in good conditions. it's just as impressive though and I will try it with the TC's as well to see how it goes. :)

Thanks Mike, need to keep an eye out for one now :)

A down side for the v2 is it's a different battery gramps, not an EN-EL15 same as the v1 :)

Took it out with the monopod today but didn't really get on with it, I feel I got better shots hand-held, though of course other factors may have been at play ... it just didn't feel so steady though.

Took it out with the monopod today but didn't really get on with it, I feel I got better shots hand-held, though of course other factors may have been at play ... it just didn't feel so steady though.
Have you got a tripod mount for the lens or just mounting it onto the monopod by the camera base?

I’ve thought about picking a V1 up for when I’m travelling. My D750 or Df are just a bit too much of a handful.

Thoughts, worth the effort and weight saving. Pros and cons?

I’ve thought about picking a V1 up for when I’m travelling. My D750 or Df are just a bit too much of a handful.

Thoughts, worth the effort and weight saving. Pros and cons?

I've only used it with the FT-1 and regular Nikon lenses but I would think it was ideal for a cheap (as the V1 now is) highly portable camera to be used in reasonable light ... ideally ISO 600 or less, above that will most likely need some N/R.

Added the TC-17EII to see how it did ... 1350mm 1/360 f6.7 ISO 100, hand-held.

small_0685.jpg

and through glass (without a TC).

small_0747.jpg

Got back from holiday yesterday and discovered one thing about my V2 - the casing isn't the best. Dropped it from about a foot high on to concrete and it broke, busting the corner and snapping the casing :(

Still works fine though but bloody annoying!

Got back from holiday yesterday and discovered one thing about my V2 - the casing isn't the best. Dropped it from about a foot high on to concrete and it broke, busting the corner and snapping the casing :(

Still works fine though but bloody annoying!

:(

Back