Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

Hi all, I've posted in another thread but thought I'd post in here too. I'm off to shoot the northern lights in 2 weeks and am looking at a new lens. I've been dithering between the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non vc and the sigma 17-70 2.8-4 for days now and just wondered if any D5000 owners had any experience of these lenses in night time conditions such as the lights and lightning shots? I also storm chase in the summer months over in the states so the lens would be used then too.

Any info much appreciated :)

I would have thought that it would be better to go for something wider than the 17mm you have mentioned there..... you wont be using it at maximum aperture anyway for landscape type shots.
You'd need to stop down a bit for a decent depth of field so f/2.8 is not needed. How about the very well regarded Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6? Around the £300 mark.
You'll have it on a tripod as well I would hope....

Neil

bl0at3r said:
Also just ordered a wired timer remote release - £13.99 off eBay (y)

I'm using the cheap "Shoot" wireless release off ebay, works just like the official one I had years ago on the D70s :)

What's the best battery grip for the 5100? Would like the extra stability.

A few that I took last week

7388853756_6b54b4a42c_z.jpg
[/url] flying eagle2 by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

7388999176_567a3eb5c1_z.jpg
[/url] barn owl in flight by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

7388900448_aafd0e775b_z.jpg
[/url] Kestrel3 by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

7388850894_54c88c051f_z.jpg
[/url] flying kite by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

Some lovely shots Thunderbird. I would say you have some better ones on your Flickr set! Love the owl headshot.
Out of interest what lens were you using?

Got mine very quickly. I would say confirmation (that my pics of receipts were OK) within a week and the pre-paid card within two weeks.

Edit: you dont actually get a refund but a pre-paid Citi Visa card with £50 on it. You cant transfer off this as far as i can tell. :(

Last edited:
Cyprio said:
Some lovely shots Thunderbird. I would say you have some better ones on your Flickr set! Love the owl headshot.
Out of interest what lens were you using?

Thanks.

It was the nikkor 55-300 for the price im pretty impressed not only with the lens but how my shots came out as ive never photographed moving objects or used 3d mode before!!!

Andy

I'm just upgrading from a D3000 to a D5000. I realise this thread may not be as active as some of the newer camera's threads but just checking to see if anyone reads it these days!

I've already got the AF-S 18-55mm Kit lens, AF-S 55-200mm VR lens and AF-S 35mm f/1.8 prime lens.

I understand the D5000 is a better performer in low light due to the improved sensor, but can I expect noticeable performance improvement under regular shooting conditions over the D3000?

Thanks guys, 1st post :)

I have just upgraded from a D5000 to a D5100, sold the 5000 with original kit lens and a tamron 70-300mm lens then bought the 5100 ith a kit lens but also just bought a tamron 18-270mm lens from Jessops for £400 and i love it, its so much better than hot swapping all the time which has had a detrimental effect on some of my pictures.

Got mine very quickly. I would say confirmation (that my pics of receipts were OK) within a week and the pre-paid card within two weeks.

Edit: you dont actually get a refund but a pre-paid Citi Visa card with £50 on it. You cant transfer off this as far as i can tell. :(

Mmmm, will chase up, it over 6 weeks since I sent the info to Nikon, with very clear receipts etc.

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum and the world of the D5000! Things I noticed when I upgraded from a D3000 were the images seemed a lot clearer and less noise in low light. Also, the buffer on the D5000 was quicker, on the D3000 if you used continuous shutter mode the buffer took a while before displaying the images on the rear screen, the D5000 was much quicker. All in all with its additional functions I find the D5000 to be a vast improvement of the D3000. I will probably switch to a D5100 with the year for the extra low light performance from the D5100 sensor as I still find when shooting in low light conditions, sometimes I am just not able to get a fast enough shutter speed for handheld shots to not be shaky.

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum and the world of the D5000! Things I noticed when I upgraded from a D3000 were the images seemed a lot clearer and less noise in low light. Also, the buffer on the D5000 was quicker, on the D3000 if you used continuous shutter mode the buffer took a while before displaying the images on the rear screen, the D5000 was much quicker. All in all with its additional functions I find the D5000 to be a vast improvement of the D3000. I will probably switch to a D5100 with the year for the extra low light performance from the D5100 sensor as I still find when shooting in low light conditions, sometimes I am just not able to get a fast enough shutter speed for handheld shots to not be shaky.

Thanks for the welcome mate!

I've got the 35mm f/1.8 prime which is obviously good in low light conditions... love using it so hoping the D5000 can get even more out of that particular lens for me :)

I'm still very much a new DSLR user, having only had my D3000 for 2 months so still learning every day. The key for me is to just go out and practice, great fun too!

Anyone using a wide angle lens smaller than the 18-55mm kit? I'm aware of the crop factor so i'm thinking of around 10mm and the price factor as well...any suggestions? anyone using such a little treat right now they can recommend? Happy with my 1.8 35mm and 55-200 but feel the need for a decent wide angle.

Anyone using a wide angle lens smaller than the 18-55mm kit? I'm aware of the crop factor so i'm thinking of around 10mm and the price factor as well...any suggestions? anyone using such a little treat right now they can recommend? Happy with my 1.8 35mm and 55-200 but feel the need for a decent wide angle.

Am currently ( this week ) playing with a Nikon 10.5mm fish eye which I have borrowed from my boss - it is very sharp but manual focus only on the d5100

I took delivery today and only managed to take a few shots to make sure it was working. I got it for £260 with the 18-55mm kit lens while I sold my D3000 with kit lens for £210. I reckon the upgrade is worth £50?

Seems quicker to process a shot and move onto the next one but not going to be able to give it real good test until this weather bucks its ideas up!

Currently got a Class 4 SD Card. Would a Class 6 or even 8 card benefit me significantly with the D5000?

im going for the 8mm samyang fish eye i think next :) love the 85mm so the 8mm am sure will be just as good,

just looking at upgrading my kit lens at the mo not sure what to get

Simmy said:
im going for the 8mm samyang fish eye i think next :) love the 85mm so the 8mm am sure will be just as good,

just looking at upgrading my kit lens at the mo not sure what to get

What is your budget?

probs around the £200 mark nothing amazing not fussed about new or second hand.. im probs just gonna end up with a 18-50mm sigma 2.8 as its cheap

I've currently got the Nikon 55-200mm VR lens but need the extra reach to take shots at my local cricket team. Budget is around £400 max but really don't want to spend that if I can help it.

Anyone got any recommendations for maybe cheaper Tamron or Sigma lenses that are good value for money (they'll need to have an auto focus motor in).

Cheers

Nikon 70-300mm VR....one of the two best 'bang for buck' lenses that Nikon make....the other being the 18-70mm. The 70-300 will cost around £280-£300 used....i think there is one in the classifieds at the moment (yes there is!....... )http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=417814 . Great lens and I'm sure it would be perfect for your cricket shots and well within your budget.

Neil

Sold my 550D on Friday and bought a brand new D5100! I'm loving it! No regrets!

I am part of the Nikon family now! :D

I had a go of a 550D in Jessops the other day and was wondering if I preferred it or not, a bit late mind but still,

so how does it compare/better the Canon? :)

I find the colours more vivid on the Nikon compared to the Canon. I shoot in aperture priority almost all the time but I find some of the effects and HDR really fun to use.

Also as I want to venture into night/club photography I think the AF assist light is way better on the Nikon rather than the strobe of the Canon (which can fool people into thinking the picture has already been taken).

Nikon betters the Canon in performance at higher ISOs

Also the lenses I want to get seem to be of better quality as well as cheaper on the Nikon side. Comparing the Nikon 35mm f1.8G to the Canon 35mm f2, the Nikon lens seems to be better in the sense that it stops down lower, 7 rounded blades (instead of 5), Silent wave motor and cheaper! Similar story comparing the 50mms

I had the 50mm f1.8 on my 550D and while it's sharp as a tack and I loved it to bits, I must admit I did buy it over the 35mm due to price. I'd have preferred the 35mm since I'm using crop sensored cameras.

Although it doesn't really matter at an entry level, I find that Canon are heading in the direction of videography while Nikon seems to be focusing on photography. I didn't want to accumulate a whole bunch of lenses and be limited to upgrading to Canon bodies.

Saying all that, I am a complete amateur (only been shooting for about 4 months) and that's just my humble opinion.

I find the colours more vivid on the Nikon compared to the Canon. I shoot in aperture priority almost all the time but I find some of the effects and HDR really fun to use.

Also as I want to venture into night/club photography I think the AF assist light is way better on the Nikon rather than the strobe of the Canon (which can fool people into thinking the picture has already been taken).

Nikon betters the Canon in performance at higher ISOs

Also the lenses I want to get seem to be of better quality as well as cheaper on the Nikon side. Comparing the Nikon 35mm f1.8G to the Canon 35mm f2, the Nikon lens seems to be better in the sense that it stops down lower, 7 rounded blades (instead of 5), Silent wave motor and cheaper! Similar story comparing the 50mms

I had the 50mm f1.8 on my 550D and while it's sharp as a tack and I loved it to bits, I must admit I did buy it over the 35mm due to price. I'd have preferred the 35mm since I'm using crop sensored cameras.

Although it doesn't really matter at an entry level, I find that Canon are heading in the direction of videography while Nikon seems to be focusing on photography. I didn't want to accumulate a whole bunch of lenses and be limited to upgrading to Canon bodies.

Saying all that, I am a complete amateur (only been shooting for about 4 months) and that's just my humble opinion.

Ahh Thank you, that has settled my mind, I really liked the body of the 550d and the images I took in the shop looked quite good, just obviously it all changes when you actually use them in real shooting. But don’t get me wrong I love my D5100 too :) I think I’d only jump to canon if I could afford a 5D of some sort, the L lenses are a very attractive proposition, where as the entry level Nikons seem better, so Nikon atm for me :)

Back