Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Great - thanks very much all.

It'll just be an internal struggle now, while I try to decide if I want to stick with APS-C and go with the D7200, or make the jump in to FF. It's making my brain hurt :p

Hi there - I thought I was getting a D7200 yesterday, but my budget might stretch to a D610... trouble is, I'm coming from a D60 and concerned one of my current lenses won't work with the full frame sensor.
Will my 18-200mm dx vr (II) lens work with a full frame, or not?
If not I'll just trade it in towards the cost of a new lens, but would be good to know if I can keep it. Gah, choices choices...

If you're generally a fan of the 18-200, there is an fx equivalent in the 28-300. You might find that the cost to swap isn't ridiculous.

My shiny new d610 arrived yesterday courtesy of Nikon. My d600 was there for the second time in few months and they elected to exchange. Have to say, I'm very impressed with their response.

If you're generally a fan of the 18-200, there is an fx equivalent in the 28-300. You might find that the cost to swap isn't ridiculous.
Thanks for the tip!

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, so I apologise in advance, but are the Nikon FF lenses the ones which have 'Nikkor' in the name (rather than DX)? Also, how can you identify the Tamron FX equivalent?

anyone getting oil/dirt on their sensors at all? i have 3 bad marks come up at around f10 when shooting

Pretty normal for any interchangeable. 3 is nothing tbh.

ok cheers, i do use it in a warehouse/dusty environment so will have to be more careful from now on while changing lens and use of it

Evening.

I have been out of the photography loop for the last year or so, despite investing in a D600 back in May, and barely using it. Hoping to get back in it next year. I need a 24-70 f/2.8 to go with it (still using a DX Tamrom 17-50 f/2.8 on crop mode at the moment). Nikon version aside, which is next best in terms of value between Tamron or Sigma (looking to spend £500 max on a used example if possible)? I do shoot wide open A LOT, so think f/2.8 is a must. Will do some research and hopefully buy by new year.

3 is fantastic

Some great photos here..... Might have to stick a couple of wedding shots from D610

I have recently bought a D610 and I'm massively underwhelmed by its AF performance. It's okay with my 80-200, but my primes are lousy. There's no consistency with the outer points anywhere near wide open and the centre point isn't much better.

All of these lenses focus accurately with my D700, they're all sharp and perform great.

I've previously owned two D7000s so expected the AF to be about the same, but it's definitely not as good in lowish light. Is this normal?

I'd say not normal. I notice occasionally mine isn't as great as the D800 focus, but I'm not so underwhelmed I think its lousy

I have used the 50F1.8G, 85F1.8G with the D610 a lot and never found it to have lousy AF. What I did notice was it hunts a bit in very low light and sometimes it shifts focus in incandescent light but only in few instances.

Forgot to mention that I tested my D750 in incandescent light and the AF is spot on every time so far. Very impressed, but I expected it to be like that to start with with Nikon claiming their best AF system on the D750

Last edited:
What are peoples thought on a D600 as a second body to go with a D750? Anyone doing the same? Any significant differences in image quality, autofocus etc? Looking at options and a second hand D600 might be better than a crop body for weddings.

I'd say not normal. I notice occasionally mine isn't as great as the D800 focus, but I'm not so underwhelmed I think its lousy

I have used the 50F1.8G, 85F1.8G with the D610 a lot and never found it to have lousy AF. What I did notice was it hunts a bit in very low light and sometimes it shifts focus in incandescent light but only in few instances.

Forgot to mention that I tested my D750 in incandescent light and the AF is spot on every time so far. Very impressed, but I expected it to be like that to start with with Nikon claiming their best AF system on the D750

Okay, that's what I thought. I should add that I always BBF in AF-C using single point. It feels like it just guesses to the point that I even gave up trying to calibrate my 35mm f/1.8G on it.

Okay, that's what I thought. I should add that I always BBF in AF-C using single point. It feels like it just guesses to the point that I even gave up trying to calibrate my 35mm f/1.8G on it.

Mines fine too Dean. In actual fact I get some odd going ons with my D750 and the 85 1.4G, sometimes slightly front focus' for no reason. When adjusting with dot tune method I have seen it replicated on the tripod shooting a focus char so that's using the central pointt. It's not the end of the world but I'm going to keep an eye on it, it's slight, but occasionally, noticeable. Same settings as above too.

Mines fine too Dean. In actual fact I get some odd going ons with my D750 and the 85 1.4G, sometimes slightly front focus' for no reason. When adjusting with dot tune method I have seen it replicated on the tripod shooting a focus char so that's using the central pointt. It's not the end of the world but I'm going to keep an eye on it, it's slight, but occasionally, noticeable. Same settings as above too.
That's good news then - it means that it's faulty rather than useless.

Last edited:
I have finally upgraded from the D610 to the D750 and posted a first user experience on the D750 thread on this forums.

Here's the link should anyone wish to read my experience and how it compares to the D600/D610

I have finally upgraded from the D610 to the D750 and posted a first user experience on the D750 thread on this forums.

Here's the link should anyone wish to read my experience and how it compares to the D600/D610

I am sure I asked this before but I cannot find the info.

Can I ask what deal you got on the 750 ? Did you trade your 610 in against it ?

I am sure I asked this before but I cannot find the info.

Can I ask what deal you got on the 750 ? Did you trade your 610 in against it ?

Sold my D610 to MPB for £700, won a Manfrotto tripod that I sold for £100 and then got the D750 from Panamoz at £1010. The upgrade cost me only £210. [emoji2]

The D610 is great, but I am finding the D750 a better overall camera.

Last edited:
Sold my D610 to MPB for £700, won a Manfrotto tripod that I sold for £100 and then got the D750 from Panamoz at £1010. The upgrade cost me only £210. [emoji2]

The D610 is great, but I am finding the D750 a better overall camera.

Thanks... I am tempted as an additional camera to my D610. I like the D610 and its been a great workhorse but it does sometimes hesitate to lock focus in really low light

Thanks... I am tempted as an additional camera to my D610. I like the D610 and its been a great workhorse but it does sometimes hesitate to lock focus in really low light

The D750 will amaze you with AF in low light. I also noticed that it does a better job with tungsten lights compared to D610. My D610 had a tendency to front/back focus a bit. Sometime back, I did a somewhat non scientific experiment in tungsten light with the D610 using Live view and PDAF and noticed inconsistencies in using OVF and PDAF. I will do the same with D750, but in real shooting in dark alleys and corners of Bruges and at home with tungsten light the AF of the D750 has been spot on 100%.

John,

Here's a quick test I did sometime back although it is not scientific from any angle. I took a Primark paper bag. It is brown in colour and has Primark written with a light blue shade. Align the bag at an angle and focus on the letters with lens wide open. I noticed that with Live view it was consistently focusing on the letter I chose, but with OVF and PDAF the results were mixed. Of course the subject has low contrast, but in tungsten light the contrast delineation is always low due to the spectrum of light. I will try this with the D750 soon, but first need to buy something from Primark :D

Back