Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

As with most things it's a lot of internet hype. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon and before you know it a perfectly good camera is rendered a crock of s***. Yes there are better out there but for the majority of people a D610 is perfectly capable of giving them everything they need. The IQ from the D610 is superb imo.

Can't comment on other FF DSLRs, as I have only used D600 and now D610. I shot more than 20k exposures and never found the AF on D610 lacking including nighttime and low light shooting.
I don't shoot sports so can't comment how it compares to the D750.
As with most things it's a lot of internet hype. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon and before you know it a perfectly good camera is rendered a crock of s***. Yes there are better out there but for the majority of people a D610 is perfectly capable of giving them everything they need. The IQ from the D610 is superb imo.

That's very reassuring to hear :) I have little funds at the moment, so was going to pick up the body only and have the 35mm attached. Therefore didn't want to regret spending money on it.

When funds allow again, I'll be slowly but surely rebuilding my Nikon system.

What lenses are you guys using on yours?

I use the Nikon 24-85 VR for all casual and travel shooting, the 85 F1.8G for portraits and the 70-200 F4 for telephoto and portrait needs. The 24-85 gets most use.

My next buy would be a 35 mm or 28mm F1.8 prime.

I have recently sold almost all my Nikon gear, having only my Nikon 35mm f/1.8G FX left.

I will be taking a trip to Hong Kong very soon, and I'm tempted to pick up a D610 while I'm there, if the price is right.

However, I have a few questions that I'd like to ask.

How bad is the autofocus, really. I seem to read quite a few comments/reviews that slate the autofocus. From it being hit and miss, or terrible in low light.

How have you guys found the autofocus? How many of you have used, or still use one professionally, and trust it to do it's job in challenging lighting. I am not a professional, but I was thinking that if there are pros out there using it for paid jobs, then it will definitely be good enough for me.

I have used many bodies before in the past, both canon and Nikon. Regarding the autofocus and it's reliability, especially in low light, how does it compare to:

Canon 7D/5DmkII/6D
Nikon D700/D5100/D7000/D750

Thanks in advance! :)

I use my D610 for my weddings and its superb. I have no problems with focus in low light and I get excellent results..... Very happy

I have recently purchased a D610 and intend using it to shoot sport, is there anybody using their D610 for sport photography and if so are they experiencing any AF problems?

My D610 is pants on a dark dance floor, stays in the bag.

I certainly would not say its pants..... these are from my D600 ( I now have a D610) but they are the same camera. Depends how you use it I suppose, I have NO complaints at all

These are from two weddings last year

D600%20Dancefloor.jpg

No camera is perfect at everything! How did we cope before af? We focused manually ....... If the af won't focus ..... Switch to manual....

It's too easy to blame the cameras shortcomings ....

And not the ability of the user to overcome the problems .....

Tick tick tick booM !!!!

I just know I have no problems at all...but saying that I have never used the D800 so maybe I would be blown away

You'd be blown away with the file sizes !!!

No camera is perfect at everything! How did we cope before af? We focused manually ....... If the af won't focus ..... Switch to manual....

It's too easy to blame the cameras shortcomings ....

And not the ability of the user to overcome the problems .....

Tick tick tick booM !!!!

One catch, DSLR VF arent really made for MF, in dim light with a fast lens and shallow DOF trying to manual focus is pretty much impossible. Sure, you could shoot at F8 and increase ISO through the roof then you may get it into focus.

Yeah that is true..... The larger files on the D600 was a bit of a surprise when coming from D90. I had to buy new memory cards

It's a hell of an upgrade though isn't it! [emoji8]

It's a hell of an upgrade though isn't it! [emoji8]
I've come from the D3100 - that is certainly a jump in IQ.

And the file sizes. I used them for the first time side by side in a dark theatre - and the IQ at higher ISO was unbelievable compared to the 3100!

And to give my thoughts on the focusing question asked earlier - I am not finding it a challenge - but remember where I came from. The biggest challenge is the points are in a cluster in the centre of the screen.

I am seeing a lot of this AF difference between D610 and D750. OF course I understand the D750 has a better auto focus module and has its advantages for certain scenarios, but the one on the D610 is not an ancient one. I have used the 11 point AF of D40X to D3100 and D5100 and I shoot a lot of street and low light stuff, but the miss rate even with those were not worth crying and I slowly learnt how to deal with that.

I find D610 AF more than capable enough and I also know where it might struggle, but more importantly I know where my own limitations are as a photographer before I start blaming the tool. Modern DSLRs are all fantastic and AF has improved a lot in 10 years.

I came from a d90 still got it and then d7000 loved,d7100 hated to the d600 and wow it's fantastic

So picked it up just before a strongman contest and went and shot it with the kit lens 24-85 indoors and pushed the ISO to 6000 ISO and it still gave printable shots after cropping and editing in lightroom

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Samyang 14mm is a cracker on d600

I think the D610 IQ is great but the AF just sucks, especially when compared to the D750. I can shoot 1.4 in really low light with the D750 and nail the focus.

Spent last weekend at Lechlade music festival and pushed ISO up to the max of 5600 and got fantastic results. When I can remember my flikr account details I will upload a couple of these

How do people get on shooting video? I've no idea what setting (A, M, Auto?) to use. I'm unable to change ISO, shutter speed etc. video also tends to come out dark.

I think the D610 IQ is great but the AF just sucks, especially when compared to the D750. I can shoot 1.4 in really low light with the D750 and nail the focus.
Comnents like this does make one wander...how does an AF suck. I can't possibly postulate that AF has an orafice or some kind of suction capable organ. Come to think of it, what is an AF??? If it's an auto-focus then why does the poster's D610 suck...does it perform out of specification pleasure for this owner? It does make one ponder on the fact that one may have an inferior D610 model which doesn't suck...

Sigh...

Comnents like this does make one wander...how does an AF suck. I can't possibly postulate that AF has an orafice or some kind of suction capable organ. Come to think of it, what is an AF??? If it's an auto-focus then why does the poster's D610 suck...does it perform out of specification pleasure for this owner? It does make one ponder on the fact that one may have an inferior D610 model which doesn't suck...

Sigh...

Hilarious.

Last edited:
It's not the camera that sucks! It's the banana that expects a camera focus on a black object in the pitch black darkness! Bloody well manual focus........ Oh you can't ........ It's too dark

Going to try and send mine back in for repair due to the oil spot issue. It was repaired about 7 months ago and had a new shutter mechanism. How are people getting on recently? Think there's much chance of getting a D610?

Recently changed over to the D610 as my D3 was too heavy and I'm no spring chicken. It's (obviously) a good camera but I am having difficulty in getting through all the menus. The D3 just seemed to have fewer and more logical menus. Just took twenty minutes to find out how to turn the bloody bracketing function off!!! No wonder my continuous exposure modes would only fire three times before stopping!!! DUH!!!!

Rob

Also, does anyone else find that their image when viewed on the camera looks ok exposure wise but then turns out to be a bit dark when you view it on the computer (shooting RAW).

Going to try and send mine back in for repair due to the oil spot issue. It was repaired about 7 months ago and had a new shutter mechanism. How are people getting on recently? Think there's much chance of getting a D610?

There is a lad on here who is very helpful in what to say to Nikon to give you more chance in getting a 610. Look back through this thread he helped me get my 600 replaced with a 610

Trying out some street photography. I know, I've a lot to learn!

DSC_5463.jpg

Back