Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I've had the camera for 18 months. At first I thought it was just me but I don't think my eyes are that off.

I can see where I'm focusing. It's just that to me the focus seems to be in a different point. I end up with very few I'm happy with.

@ian-83 what's up with yours?

Not sure if I have the focus issues with mine. Tried all sorts but can't seem to get it better. Dunno whether to send it to Nikon or accept defeat and ask the boss for a 7200

Problem when selecting focus points the up button sent the focus points off to the right instead! Luckily under used warranty with Wex Photographic

Ah. Its probably just me. I've probably convinced myself that it's worse than it is and that the new improved version will sort it.

Have to say yesterday's trip got a few more keepers than normal. Maybe I've finally hit my first 10000 shots.

Someone give me a good reason to keep my D7000 and not switch to micro 4/3rds camera.

So far it being partially weather sealed and the good battery life are pros but the weight and advantages of a touch screen are working for 4/3rds stuff

Last edited:
I sold my canon 400D for a Panasonic G3 a few years ago. Was pleased with the results, and had a few lenses. Had issues with button layout and hitting wrong button etc.
Sold all my Panasonic gear and bought a used D7000 about 2 years ago.
Much prefer what I have now.

M43 certainly isn't perfect but it depends what you shoot.

Pros - size / weight, AF speed, no AF tuning, possibility of high shutter speed ( 1/16000 or 1/32000 depending on system ), huge choice of cheap lenses, manufacturers release software updates to improve, WYSIWYG when shooting

Cons - lack of DoF compared to crop/FF systems, less DR so things can get mushy when pushing shadows in PP, poor battery life, poor focus tracking for BiF /dogs /kids, some systems suffer noise in LE

Is it perfect ? Hell no, far from it but it suits around 90% of what I do. I have been tempted by FF to get shallow DoF, better DR but then I'd end up lugging round less lenses and more weight. I currently have an e-m1, 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18, 12-40 pro, 30 f1.4, 40-150 pro + TC, filters and spare batteries in a sling bag.

I did that and ended up moving back to a D7100 after a month. Nice system but just wasn't doing it for me. Not sure what it was though. @damianmkv did the same and has stayed with it.

Had a Panasonic G6 in the past but the button layout annoyed me, I like have focus points on the D pad to move but doing that on the G6 removes there primary function.

I sold my canon 400D for a Panasonic G3 a few years ago. Was pleased with the results, and had a few lenses. Had issues with button layout and hitting wrong button etc.
Sold all my Panasonic gear and bought a used D7000 about 2 years ago.
Much prefer what I have now.

Same problem I had with my G6. Button layout wasn't right compared to my D7000.

M43 certainly isn't perfect but it depends what you shoot.

Pros - size / weight, AF speed, no AF tuning, possibility of high shutter speed ( 1/16000 or 1/32000 depending on system ), huge choice of cheap lenses, manufacturers release software updates to improve, WYSIWYG when shooting

Cons - lack of DoF compared to crop/FF systems, less DR so things can get mushy when pushing shadows in PP, poor battery life, poor focus tracking for BiF /dogs /kids, some systems suffer noise in LE

Is it perfect ? Hell no, far from it but it suits around 90% of what I do. I have been tempted by FF to get shallow DoF, better DR but then I'd end up lugging round less lenses and more weight. I currently have an e-m1, 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18, 12-40 pro, 30 f1.4, 40-150 pro + TC, filters and spare batteries in a sling bag.

I shoot mostly static stuff, landscape is my favourite area only moving stuff I might do is my daughter running around and occasionally an air show.

I am leaning towards the E-M1 as it seems to have a good button layout and built in grip, I find the smaller bodies hard to hold and uncomfortable. Also having weather sealing would be an advantage. just not sure what lens to pair it with dunno if I can stretch to the 12-40 f2.8. 24mm full frame is wide enough for me. Have some Cokin P filters which be better on the smaller size lenses.

No issues with landscapes really, air shows are generally fine in my experience. I've shot my family's dogs ( not literally :eek: ) and provided you don't go to fill the frame it's ok although sometimes you may miss something as it doesn't always achieve lock

You could always try the Olympus test and wow program

https://wow.olympus.eu/en_GB/

Last edited:
Well that's the end of my D7000 had an email today advising me the warranty repair by Wex has escalated in cost so they have decided to write my camera off. Refund has been issued so I have taken the decision to go micro 4/3rds

If anyone is after anything that a D7000 comes with from new let me know as I have everything left over, only bits missing are the camera, battery and body cap.

Well that's one way to make a decision! Enjoy your new venture Ian.

I was looking at possibly going to csc for a while and this has pushed me to do it.

If anyone is after anything that a D7000 comes with from new let me know as I have everything left over, only bits missing are the camera, battery and body cap.

I was looking at possibly going to csc for a while and this has pushed me to do it.

Thanks Ian ,I'll take the kit lens lol

I've defected big time!
I tried to like m43 but despite trying several bodies over the past 12 months including the new Panasonic G80, losing a hatful of money along the way and regretting every decision I made, I've now gone back to DSLR and it feels great. Not only have I ditched the small sensors but also Canon - I've come back to Nikon after many years using Canon gear and now looking forward to getting back my mojo.

I've had to be careful as budget was a barrier so I've bought a minty D7000 for now and a 35 f1.8 lens.

I'm now looking for a wildlife lens on a limited budget, not knowing the Nikon range very well, I've narrowed it down to 2 possible lenses :
300 f4 af-s or AF 80-400D? Can anyone help as to which is the better option, I like the range of the 80-400 but I'm not sure how good a lens it is IQ wise. Or would the 300 be better despite the reach disadvantage?
I can't stretch to the Siggy or Tammy 150-600's so my choices are a bit limited I think.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If you don't mind not having the zoom range then the 300 will focus much quicker even when used with a 1.4t/c which it takes extremely well. I use the 300 and t/c on a D7000 which gives 420mm so slightly more reach too...bonus!

Ah yes, I see that now.

I'm not that fussed, it rarely goes out and when it does it tends to be below 2.8 where you can't notice them!

Last edited:
Just a quick thank you to all those that have contributed to this thread. I was looking for an upgrade for my old D90, and the comments, reviews and images here helped me make up my mind. So my order has just been placed :)

Just a quick thank you to all those that have contributed to this thread. I was looking for an upgrade for my old D90, and the comments, reviews and images here helped me make up my mind. So my order has just been placed :)
You will enjoy using it I am sure, it is a very creditable performer :)

Just a question for D7200 owners - can I ask why you went for the D7200 over the D610 ?

The D7200 is cheaper, smaller and lighter. Also my other DX lens will fit it fine. :)

I looked at the comparisons on Wiki (see extract below), as I haven't used a full frame camera plus the D7200 has a newer processor and greater ISO range, I thought the D7200 would be the better buy.

Model Processor format Format Manufacturer mega pixels Focus Points Metering Pixels viewfinder magnification ISO Min ISO Max Iso Expanded
D610 EXPEED 3 Full-frame CMOS Sony 24.3 39 2016 100% 0.7x 100 6400 25600
D7200 EXPEED 4 APS-C CMOS Toshiba[1] 24.2 51 2016 100% 0.94x 100 25600 102400

ok quick question about my (picking up tomorrow after work :) ) D7200
i currently have a D7000 will i be best to pretty much mimic the settings i have found work for me on my D7000 to the D7200

Back