Nikon d850 "in development"

Yet still will sell less than the 5d4
And there's one very good reason for this, which we all know. If I was a Canon user though I wouldn't be happy, it's getting harder and harder to defend the prices of their cameras. Take a look at the 6D2, more expensive and not as good at the 3 year old D750 (barring LV AF). 5D4 vs D850, one clear winner.

BUT, from a business point of view can you fault Canon? If you can charge over the odds knowing that you will sell your products in the bucket loads wouldn't you do the same? The only way it will ever change is if Canon users stuck to their guns and refused to buy the products, but I doubt this will ever happen. I hear the same comments time and time again, "it's good enough for what I need". Each to their own and all that, but for me it's always about bang for buck. Maybe it's the northerner in me ;)

Meh ... Thankfully it hasn't really excited me, I ditched the D800E a while back, and I thought this would have me wanting a Nikon again. It looks cool, but there's nothing about it I 'need'.

I'm in too deep to abandon Canon, is all I keep thinking. The same can probably be said for many Canon users.

I am tempted by the 850 though. Such is the ongoing frustrating nature of owning Canon.

I'm in too deep to abandon Canon, is all I keep thinking. The same can probably be said for many Canon users.

I am tempted by the 850 though. Such is the ongoing frustrating nature of owning Canon.
I think frustration can be said about whatever brand you've bought into. I'm sure you'd have frustrations with Nikon.

And there's one very good reason for this, which we all know. If I was a Canon user though I wouldn't be happy, it's getting harder and harder to defend the prices of their cameras. Take a look at the 6D2, more expensive and not as good at the 3 year old D750 (barring LV AF). 5D4 vs D850, one clear winner.

BUT, from a business point of view can you fault Canon? If you can charge over the odds knowing that you will sell your products in the bucket loads wouldn't you do the same? The only way it will ever change is if Canon users stuck to their guns and refused to buy the products, but I doubt this will ever happen. I hear the same comments time and time again, "it's good enough for what I need". Each to their own and all that, but for me it's always about bang for buck. Maybe it's the northerner in me ;)
As has already been said if you have invested in a lot of Canon non body products i.e. Lenses etc then changing to a different system is a major re-investment, so if a Canon body you need is £2K more than a rival it isnt a great deal, especially if you are a pro and can write-off the VAT and depreciate the body price over 3 or so years through your books. Add to that the backup that Canon UK provide and the extra body price isnt really something you might worry about.
But the new Nikon does look very interesting.
Matt

i think Nikon NEED to produce a d850 far more than anyone NEEDS to buy or own one.
Camera manufacturers must keep bringing new models to market in order to stay in business, and then they rely on clever marketing men to convince the gullible public that they must own the newest toy in town.
And as sales and market share falls, so the price increases to maintain profit margins.

The newest high end cameras are becoming more and more irrelevant as tools, and far more about fashion statements and pieces of personal jewellery. It's vanity and desire to own the latest fad that drives most people's wish to own this camera.

No doubt there will be plenty who disagree, But ask yourself this "if I can't take a good picture with a d810, and photoshop and lightroom etc, what exactly is throwing 3.5k at a d850 going to do for me?"

I suppose a £3500 Nikon hanging round your neck is a bit cheaper than a £6000 Rolex on your wrist.

Last edited:
I have been hovering over the pre order button all morning. I want to buy 2 of them but concerned about any launch issues especially considering the amount of money.

Just can't make my mind up, off to the pub for lunch :D

i think Nikon NEED to produce a d850 far more than anyone NEEDS to buy or own one.
Camera manufacturers must keep bringing new models to market in order to stay in business, and then they rely on clever marketing men to convince the gullible public that they must own the newest toy in town.
And as sales and market share falls, so the price increases to maintain profit margins.

This newest high end cameras are becoming more and more irrelevant as tools, and far more about fashion statements and pieces of personal jewellery. It's vanity and desire to own the latest fad that drives most people's wish to own this camera.

No doubt there will be plenty who disagree, But ask yourself this "if I can't take a good picture with a d810, and photoshop and lightroom etc, what exactly is throwing 3.5k at a d850 going to do for me?"

I suppose a £3500 Nikon hanging round your neck is a bit cheaper than a £6000 Rolex on your wrist.
Of course you are more than entitled to your opinion but I think this is a very large sweeping generalisation and not true of many folk who want this camera, or similar cameras. Of course you don't need these latest tools to get most shots, people have managed for decades with much less sophisticated gear. However, as tech moves on it opens up new avenues that weren't possible before and as such demands keep on growing. Do I get most of the shots I want with my D750? Of course I do. Are there times when I reach the limitation of the camera? Yes there are. As a result of this would I prefer something that has less limitations? Yes. Does this have anything to do with vanity or any such thing? Absolutely not, in my case I can't think of anything more absurd. I'm lucky that I do have some nice toys, and some nice jewellery etc (although not a Rolex as I'm not a fan) but I can assure you none of it is for vanity or show, but merely because it brings me pleasure. I couldn't give two hoots what anyone else thinks. And lets be honest, apart from fellow togs who has the foggiest about one DSLR from another, they all look the same to average joe.

I'm sure this will be asked though, so the limitations I find with the D750 are:-

1) AF point spread. Sometimes shooting wildlife I can't get the composition that I want as you can't focus recompose when using AF-C
2) Frame rate. On rare occasions the shot that I've wanted has been between frames
3) Higher resolution. Again only on odd occasions but would be handy for cropping when shooting wildlife and you can't get close, likewise for macro. The beauty with the D850 is that you can choose to shoot at lower MP for the rest of the time so that you can keep file size down.
4) Buffer. I do get limited by the buffer shooting sports.
5) Build quality of the D750 isn't as good as the D8xx series.

Of course, these are genuine first world problems and you could only have dreamt of having such horrendous limitations 10-20 years ago :LOL:

I have been hovering over the pre order button all morning. I want to buy 2 of them but concerned about any launch issues especially considering the amount of money.

Just can't make my mind up, off to the pub for lunch :D
Pre order one, you can always change your mind. It’s not as if your credit card will be charged till it’s shipping.

Im right in the middle of a 4k insurance claim for a D810 and other items, moral of the story make sure you tighten up that clamp on the tripod head correctly. The D850 has got me thinking about taking the chance of upgrading and doing without the 16-35mm lens till I save up. If it is as good as it sounds it would also replace my D500 as my sports camera so potential for me to use the money gained from selling the D500 for a UWA zoom. Life was easier with Canon as the new cameras didn't excite me too much. The D850 looks like it will be capable of pretty much everything

The newest high end cameras are becoming more and more irrelevant as tools, and far more about fashion statements and pieces of personal jewellery. It's vanity and desire to own the latest fad that drives most people's wish to own this camera.

I was once browsing in a well-known Nikon dealer when someone walked in and asked the salesman for the 'best' Nikon (the buyer didn't seem certain which one this was, but clearly had the means to pay for it). We all know that most good photographs are much more about having a clear idea of what you want in the frame, deciding where to stand, and when to press the shutter than about the quality of your gear. But that doesn't mean that specific cameras can't sometimes be limiting. I have a D800, which is an excellent camera with a great sensor. Most of the bad pictures I take with it are entirely my fault. On the other hand, it's less than ideal in various ways. The shutter makes quite a racket, which can be a problem in some situations. The AF sensor spread is far too narrowly centred, which sometimes means I have to focus and re-frame (with some loss of focus accuracy due to the change in position, and a slight delay, which can sometime lose the moment). The AF is very good, but not quite as accurate or fast as that on more recent cameras. The framerate is slow for a camera of its class - when I want to get some shots of, say, a cycling race I dust off the D300. There's no means of tilting the rear LCD for low angle shots. For a landscape photographer, none of this probably matters. For someone taking photos of fast-moving events, it might sometimes make the difference between a great shot and one that is slightly off. So I welcome the D850 as a more or less state of the art, general purpose mid-weight FX camera that if it lives up to expectations is likely to do everything well, from studio to sport. Nikon hasn't really attempted this since the D700. Whether I'll actually be prepared to pay for one is another matter! Maybe when they hit the secondhand market...

I'm sure this will be asked though, so the limitations I find with the D750 are:-

Of course, these are genuine first world problems and you could only have dreamt of having such horrendous limitations 10-20 years ago :LOL:
We live in good times. ;)

1) AF point spread. Sometimes shooting wildlife I can't get the composition that I want as you can't focus recompose when using AF-C
The D850 may have a slightly wider spread of AF points, but not by a massive amount. There will be more focus points with their state of the art AF, with 153 instead of 51.

2) Frame rate. On rare occasions the shot that I've wanted has been between frames
The D750 is 6.5 fps and the D850 7 fps straight out of the box. So negligible difference. You would have to buy the EN-EL18b Battery inserted in a MB-D18 grip and a charger to get 9 fps.
3) Higher resolution. Again only on odd occasions but would be handy for cropping when shooting wildlife and you can't get close, likewise for macro. The beauty with the D850 is that you can choose to shoot at lower MP for the rest of the time so that you can keep file size down.
With the D850 you can shoot at Large (45.4-MP), Medium (25.6-MP) and Small (11.4-MP)
I think I read 51 14bit RAW files, so lower bit levels would yield larger buffers, but I think that info will start to appear over the coming days.
The build quality of the D850 should be better, and with not having a onboard flash there is one less part to attract dust and water ingress.

Last edited:

Which you can probably say about any camera made in the last 15 years but I don't see why you talk about it as a negative, at the very least it's made the preceding model a lot more affordable.

When I upgraded to the D810 I also needed to upgrade my PC to handle the files. Now that the new D850 has even bigger files, I wonder if that will mean a further upgraded PC?

Which you can probably say about any camera made in the last 15 years but I don't see why you talk about it as a negative, at the very least it's made the preceding model a lot more affordable.

Quite possibly, The second hand market may show a drop in prices when mr Bling rushes out to spend the kind of money that could provide a third world village with fresh drinking water, on a new toy that might have a wider spread of A/F sensors than his older toy.

Think about it.

Quite possibly, The second hand market may show a drop in prices when mr Bling rushes out to spend the kind of money that could provide a third world village with fresh drinking water, on a new toy that might have a wider spread of A/F sensors than his older toy.

Think about it.
A bit over the top there... I'm sure if you hadn't spent money on your D750 and all the lens and were happy with a D3x00 and kit lenses you could have sent lots to Africa to help with fresh drinking water!

When I upgraded to the D810 I also needed to upgrade my PC to handle the files. Now that the new D850 has even bigger files, I wonder if that will mean a further upgraded PC?

There is a chance that if you machine can process 36M files at decent speed, then the 45M won't make a big difference. I am processing 36mpx for quite some time on my iMac 5k (mid-spec 2015 model) and tried to import a couple of RAWs from 5DSr and there was no noticeable difference in performance.

A bit over the top there... I'm sure if you hadn't spent money on your D750 and all the lens and were happy with a D3x00 and kit lenses you could have sent lots to Africa to help with fresh drinking water!
FYI I sold all my Nikon gear when the penny finally dropped for me.
And yes I did send some money to Africa via water aid. If and when the penny drops for you, maybe you'll do the same.

And yes I did send some money to Africa via water aid. If and when the penny drops for you, maybe you'll do the same.
Why not sell all your camera gear and give them more money! [emoji53]

What anyone spends their own money on is up to them, and making someone feel uncomfortable on a site like this is not on imho.

What an inflammatory thing to say!

What penny, exactly? Earlier in the thread you said you'd ditched Nikon after a bad experience with what sounded like a faulty D750, and now preferred lighter mirrorless cameras. Is it dSLRs you don't like, or new cameras, or Nikons, or expensive cameras in general?

Interesting that Nikon have used their own sensor design instead of just adopting one of Sony's sensors for the D850 hopefully that will improve quality control.

Interesting that Nikon have used their own sensor design instead of just adopting one of Sony's sensors for the D850 hopefully that will improve quality control.
I suspect like the other “Nikon” sensors they will be essentially Sony sensors only tweaked to their own specification. Apart from Canon I think Sony now own all ILC type sensor manufacturing.

I always think of it being (a little) similar to how Apple make their own processors. They buy ARM designs, combine them with other functionality and tweak them a little and then call them “their” processor.

Which aspect of the announcement gave you that impression?

Think about it.
I don't think comments like this are the best way to get your point across tbh. I understand and appreciate the sentiment but unfortunately the comment is quite inflammatory imo and so your point then gets lost (y)

Also, we don't know how much people have given/are giving to charities. My conscience is clear in this regard when I make purchases for myself, no matter how extravagant they may be (y)

Last edited:
We live in good times. ;)

The D850 may have a slightly wider spread of AF points, but not by a massive amount. There will be more focus points with their state of the art AF, with 153 instead of 51.

The D750 is 6.5 fps and the D850 7 fps straight out of the box. So negligible difference. You would have to buy the EN-EL18b Battery inserted in a MB-D18 grip and a charger to get 9 fps.
With the D850 you can shoot at Large (45.4-MP), Medium (25.6-MP) and Small (11.4-MP)
I think I read 51 14bit RAW files, so lower bit levels would yield larger buffers, but I think that info will start to appear over the coming days.
The build quality of the D850 should be better, and with not having a onboard flash there is one less part to attract dust and water ingress.

Thanks, I was already aware of the bits you've highlighted though ;) :p

Ah, I got the wrong end of the stick. [emoji3]
Don't worry, people often do that with my posts :LOL:

On a side note, some breathtaking footy last night from the redmen (y)

I suspect (from NikonUSA.com)...
  • Nikon-designed back-side illuminated (BSI) full-frame image sensor with no optical low-pass filter
its still a sony sensor i dont think nikon having input to the design is any change from other sony provided sensors

That defence though pmsl
Let's not go there ;) How Moreno gets in the team is beyond me. Sure he's good going forward, but most of the troubles (barring set pieces) we get into come from Moreno being out of position.

Let's not go there ;) How Moreno gets in the team is beyond me. Sure he's good going forward, but most of the troubles (barring set pieces) we get into come from Moreno being out of position.

Makes things entertaining anyway. I'm expecting a 6 goal thriller on Sunday

Makes things entertaining anyway. I'm expecting a 6 goal thriller on Sunday
Should be good. I'm 'gutted' I'm going to have to record it though and watch it later, same goes for the F1.

Back