Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

What are you doing in the D850 thread ... exit ye exit ye! Wouldn't want you to end up buying a D850 now would we ;) lol

And your in here too ha ha

OK, had a quick play this morning and here's my initial thoughts:-

Viewfinder,... wow. I've never found the D750's viewfinder lacking in any way but the size of the D850's is great and does help see the frame better. Going back to the D750's after kind of reminds me of how it felt using the D7200 after using the D750.

AF. Not had a proper chance to try it, but just using AF-S it does feel snappier. I wasn't expecting to notice any difference in this mode so this was a surprise

Build. Again never had an issue with the D750 and always thought that it was well built, but the D850 is quite a step up, feels a proper tank. Going back to the D750 makes it almost feel a bit toy like. Clearly it's not, it's a great camera and I've been very happy with mine, but that's kinda how it feels when you quickly swap from one to the other.

Ergonomics will take some time to know for sure, but so far so good. Can't say I prefer one or the other.

I do prefer the metering button placement of the D750 being on the right, and I don't think it's just familiarity as I like that I can change metering mode one handed so to speak on the D750. Also, now that they've given the D850 a dedicated ISO button rather than allowing the record button to be assigned to ISO it's kinda made the record button redundant to me as whilst you can assign functions to it you can't assign any functions that are useful to me. I also prefer on the D750 that when you press the WB button it brings it up on the LCD allowing you to see the changes more easily, and also allows you to do fine WB colour tweaking on the fly. Any idea whether you can do this on the D850?

I don't think the 'nipple' is something that I'm going to use either. It feels more natural to me to use the multi selector to move the AF points, plus you can't set the nipple to return AF point to the centre (or at least I haven't found it yet) so if you move the AF point with the nipple but then want to centre it fast you have to move down to the multiselector anyway. Where I will find the nipple very useful is having centre press set to AEL lock, meaning that I've got a dedicated AF-ON and AEL buttons rather than one button that you can set to either or. So the nipple's useful for AF point for those that want it, for folk like me it just becomes another useful function button so it's win win.

The D850 is sharp as a sharp thing and highly detailed, just viewing on the LCD it's clear to see the benefits of the lack of AA filter, and of course extra res, I'm going to have to be more subtle with the old sharpening in post I feel ;)

Shutter sound is nicer on the D850, but what surprised me is that you can feel the shutter/mirror movement when you take a shot. Doesn't affect the image in any way, doesn't affect the usability in any way, and I kinda like it as it feels mechanical, was just a surprise that's all so thought I'd mention it. I don't know whether it's the larger mirror, the new damped mirror, the more durable shutter or what, and I don't really care :LOL:

So, not much of a review granted but it's not been put through it's paces as yet. Initial impressions are very positive though and I think I'm going to love the extra res and detail. Oh, and did I mention how nice that viewfinder is ;)
Found a 'solution' to the WB and I actually prefer it. So using the current WB button it makes it quick to change, but I also have WB set to my top setting on my menu which I have set to the Fn2 button. This way it's best of both worlds, quick WB change but also able to tweak with a two button press if I need to. I'm liking having that Fn2 button, means I can set that to my menu and then use the Fn button on the front for the virtual horizon in the VF, which I find useful. I had to have my menu set to the front AF button on the D750 meaning that I have no quick access to the virtual horizon.

Man oh man have memory cards shot up in price. I've read something that whilst UHS-II SD cards have similar/the same write speeds as XQD that is only their peak speed and XQD have a higher average write speed, is this right?

Also, how do I change flash compensation on the D850? On the D750 there was a flash button next to the bracket button and I could press and hold this whilst rotating the control dial to change Exp comp. I could also set this to just change flash comp or both flash and background comp.

Last edited:
Found a 'solution' to the WB and I actually prefer it. So using the current WB button it makes it quick to change, but I also have WB set to my top setting on my menu which I have set to the Fn2 button. This way it's best of both worlds, quick WB change but also able to tweak with a two button press if I need to. I'm liking having that Fn2 button, means I can set that to my menu and then use the Fn button on the front for the virtual horizon in the VF, which I find useful. I had to have my menu set to the front AF button on the D750 meaning that I have no quick access to the virtual horizon.

Man oh man have memory cards shot up in price. I've read something that whilst UHS-II SD cards have similar/the same write speeds as XQD that is only their peak speed and XQD have a higher average write speed, is this right?

Also, how do I change flash compensation on the D850? On the D750 there was a flash button next to the bracket button and I could press and hold this whilst rotating the control dial to change Exp comp. I could also set this to just change flash comp or both flash and background comp.
Ignore the bit about the flash compensation, I've found the flash button on the back of the camera ;)

Ignore the bit about the flash compensation, I've found the flash button on the back of the camera ;)

Back of camera though it was on the side above lens

Back of camera though it was on the side above lens
No there's no pop up flash on the D850 so the button's not there, it's on the back at the side of the LCD.

OK so these custom menu banks and photo shooting banks are pretty confusing. I see that the custom menu bank allows you to save settings such as AF-C release priory, ISO steps etc etc, and photo shooting banks allow you to save settings for things like file type, file naming etc, but what I really want to do is save exposure settings as well. What I mean by this was that on my D750 I had U1 set up with BBF with AF-S, aperture priority set to f8, ISO 100 etc which I used for landscapes, and U2 set to manual with auto ISO, 1/1000 f8 AF-C for sports and wildlife. Can you do this with the D850? I've tried different banks,but if I change shutter speed or aperture on one of the banks it changes them on them all.

Can you do this with the D850? I've tried different banks,but if I change shutter speed or aperture on one of the banks it changes them on them all.
Nope, despite many requests (including some from some 'high level' pros) Nikon just does not include this feature on this level of camera body.

Nope, despite many requests (including some from some 'high level' pros) Nikon just does not include this feature on this level of camera body.
Bit crazy that :eek: I often switch between A priority and Manual, often with quite different aperture etc settings. So you can't even save AF-S or AF-C either :facepalm:

Last edited:

Bit crazy that :eek: I often switch between A priority and Manual, often with quite different aperture etc settings. So you can't even save AF-S or AF-C either :facepalm:
Just discovered that if you turn extended photo menu on then it does save the shutter speed, aperture, ISO (inc auto iso) and shooting mode as well. Doesn't save AF mode, but that's not a biggie. I can set photo shooting menu to the record button and switch between settings on the fly. Pretty happy with that (y)

Has anyone managed to find a deal of any kind on an original MB-D18? As much as it's tempting to just buy a cheap 3rd party one that can get the 9fps I much prefer the feel of the genuine item, just don't want to pay £369 for it! There's not even any grey ones out there, let alone cheaper!

Alternatively, does anyone have a used one they don't use at a reasonable price please?!

Has anyone managed to find a deal of any kind on an original MB-D18? As much as it's tempting to just buy a cheap 3rd party one that can get the 9fps I much prefer the feel of the genuine item, just don't want to pay £369 for it! There's not even any grey ones out there, let alone cheaper!

Alternatively, does anyone have a used one they don't use at a reasonable price please?!
Official grips are a rip off and I tend to steer away from them. However, with the D850 I've gone with the genuine one just to be on the safe side that I get 9fps. Build wise I'm really struggling to tell much difference from the Pixel Vertex one I have for my D750. Nikon claim that the MB-D18 is weather resistant but I can't see anything in terms of gaskets etc that would suggest it's any more or less weather resistant than the 3rd party.

You can get grey ones, Panamoz sell them if you ask, but they're still £350.

Dear god these EL-EN18 batteries for the grip are huge, they're like house bricks :eek::eek: No wonder you get over 4000 shots to one charge ;) Fingers crossed the ExPro batteries give me 9fps.

The Ex-Pro are fine :)
Yep, just tested them and they work fine and you get the increased fps (y) I've always used ExPro in the past and been happy. £112 for two batteries and a dual charger vs £165 for one Nikon battery plus a further £325 for the charger the ExPro is a no brainer imo.

Wagwan. How's the d850? As good as the legendary d750.?
Dunno yet, not had chance to use it properly. On the face of it I really like it, not too dissimilar to the D750 but a bit better here, a bit better there, and I think once I get using it I'll like it even more than the D750. The viewfinder and build are the best I've used, and the AF spread is pretty much perfect for my uses. Outer AF points are more accurate than the D750's too, which is no surprise as they're cross type.

Having left The Photography Show with a D850, I'm now grip hunting, does anyone have any experience with any non-genuine ones?

The really annoying thing is that it is the same as the D500 one, they've just put a plastic stopper in there to stop you using it!

Seriously considering adapting the MB-D17 instead of selling it!

f0029a5d73714af39a9fce93076afc75
What did you end up doing - did you adapt your D500 grip or buy a clone, and if so which one? I'd like the option of 9fps but not enough to pay the full nikon grip price. .

What did you end up doing - did you adapt your D500 grip or buy a clone, and if so which one? I'd like the option of 9fps but not enough to pay the full nikon grip price. .
From what I've read the Mcoplus one gives 9fps, but I still opted for the Nikon to be on the safe side.

From what I've read the Mcoplus one gives 9fps, but I still opted for the Nikon to be on the safe side.
Thanks - I had read that too, but seem to remember that some were suggesting that you also needed to source other bits to go with it - guess I need to re-read all those pages of debate...

Thanks - I had read that too, but seem to remember that some were suggesting that you also needed to source other bits to go with it - guess I need to re-read all those pages of debate...
You need the Nikon BL-5 Battery cover (£28), EL-EN18b battery (£165) and MH-26a charger (£325) which is obviously a hell of an extra expense. However, you can buy the ExPro BL-5 for £10.95, and ExPro EL-EN18 battery and MH-26 charger for £82, or 2x EL-EN18 batteries with charger for £112.

So if you buy Nikon it's £369 (grip) + £28 + £165 + £325 = £887
Buy Mcoplus and ExPr and it's £86 + £10.95 + £82 = £178.95

Quite a saving buying third party :eek:

Official grips are a rip off and I tend to steer away from them. However, with the D850 I've gone with the genuine one just to be on the safe side that I get 9fps. Build wise I'm really struggling to tell much difference from the Pixel Vertex one I have for my D750. Nikon claim that the MB-D18 is weather resistant but I can't see anything in terms of gaskets etc that would suggest it's any more or less weather resistant than the 3rd party.

You can get grey ones, Panamoz sell them if you ask, but they're still £350.

For £350 I'd just get a UK one and yes, for the 9fps being on the safe side does make some sense, especially as I have picked up all the other genuine bits already.

Just goes to show how much we're overcharged for the camera though when it's as low as £2330 grey!

Decided to be a sucker and buy a genuine one! :eek:

The whole plan was to sell the D810 & D500 to fund the camera so I suppose their grips can fund the new grip. The D500 grip went for £250 and the D810 one for £135, so it's covered it.

Now to decide where to order it from!

For £350 I'd just get a UK one and yes, for the 9fps being on the safe side does make some sense, especially as I have picked up all the other genuine bits already.

Just goes to show how much we're overcharged for the camera though when it's as low as £2330 grey!
Where have you seen £2330 grey? That's even better than I got :eek:

Panamoz will match
They wouldn't drop that low when I tried. That being said the prices fluctuate all the time depending on exchange rates.

Why, just why lol ;)

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 10.24.51.png

Hi All,

I am new to the group and have to say the D850 is a beast of a camera, there is a marked improvement in picture quality over my D810 when pixel peeping I have found.

Welcome! Still to put mine through it's paces properly yet, can't wait to get it on the 400mm f2.8!

Back