Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

What with the new D850 purchase and the fact the 70-200mm price hike means they’ve gone over my single item limit on my house insurance I’m going to have to take out separate camera insurance.

Can anyone recommend a good camera insurance company that cover theft and accidental damage, including weather damage?

What with the new D850 purchase and the fact the 70-200mm price hike means they’ve gone over my single item limit on my house insurance I’m going to have to take out separate camera insurance.

Can anyone recommend a good camera insurance company that cover theft and accidental damage, including weather damage?
Proguard is the one I use

I've used Eversure for a few years.

GC

Can you not list any item over your single item limit? I do that and they charge me a little extra.
I'm up to my limit on itemised items tbh.

After quite some time away from photography, a trip to the East has restarted the passion for photography... So since my order is now waiting for me to collect, I am now the new owner of D850 (well still to be collected of course in about 10 days). I have also purchased a 50mm 1.8 lens to go with it. Will be looking for a 24-70mm and 70-200mm once I am back in the UK in June.

What macro lens is good on the Nikon these days? I used to have an old manual focus 55mm lens that I loved, but considering options :)

After quite some time away from photography, a trip to the East has restarted the passion for photography... So since my order is now waiting for me to collect, I am now the new owner of D850 (well still to be collected of course in about 10 days). I have also purchased a 50mm 1.8 lens to go with it. Will be looking for a 24-70mm and 70-200mm once I am back in the UK in June.

What macro lens is good on the Nikon these days? I used to have an old manual focus 55mm lens that I loved, but considering options :)
Cool, nice one, which 70-200mm are you looking at?

As for Macro I have the Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro OS and am very happy with it. Of course, if you're not on a budget or looking for the best value then the Nikon 105mm macro might be worth a look. Of course, if you want a larger working distance then there's the 150mm Sigma Macro so if you're wanting to take pics of skittish insects this might be worth a look.

Thanks

Very very tempted by the VRII, but need to check budget and prices when I back in the UK.

Nikon 105mm is a good option, oddly I liked the manual focus 55mm. Do you have some examples of your Sigma 105mm?

I’m thinking my D850 might have a fault. On 3 or 4 occasions now it’s been unresponsive and taken several presses of the shutter to get it to react/wake up. It’s happened with both my 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f2.8, both of which have always worked fine.

I’ve only had it a week but before I contact Panamoz to advise them of the issue and possibly request a replacement has anyone else had this and know what’s causing it? Is there anything obvious I’ve missed?

I’m thinking my D850 might have a fault. On 3 or 4 occasions now it’s been unresponsive and taken several presses of the shutter to get it to react/wake up. It’s happened with both my 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f2.8, both of which have always worked fine.

I’ve only had it a week but before I contact Panamoz to advise them of the issue and possibly request a replacement has anyone else had this and know what’s causing it? Is there anything obvious I’ve missed?

Nothing identical but similar issues reported here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4222513

I can't say I ever noticed it when I had a D850 - I don't think there's a power-save mode like there is on the mirrorless bodies?

I can't say I ever noticed it when I had a D850 - I don't think there's a power-save mode like there is on the mirrorless bodies?
It does go to sleep but normally as soon as you half press the shutter it comes to life.

Gotta say, having the larger top panel is really useful, I can see in an instant just about every setting I'm using. It's the little things that make a difference ;)

Thanks

Very very tempted by the VRII, but need to check budget and prices when I back in the UK.

Nikon 105mm is a good option, oddly I liked the manual focus 55mm. Do you have some examples of your Sigma 105mm?
Sorry, I missed this. I'm not the best person to be asking to post examples tbh as there are people that can do a much better job than me, but here goes. All single shot images with the D750 and sigma 105mm, some heavily cropped including the jumping spider which is pretty much 1:1.

Breakfast
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4594-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4566-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3836-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8056 2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8759
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_9588
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_9577
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I've recently updated Lightroom CC and things have changed a bit, but one thing I'm not too keen on is the way profiles are now displayed. Profiles used to be at the bottom under Calibration but are now right at the top, which is fine, and there's a heap of new profile options, again fine. However, if you click on the drop down menu (yellow arrow image 1) all I get is the adobe profiles (image 2). If I want to see the rest of the profiles I have to click the grid icon (red arrow image 1) which then gives me a further list of profile headers (including the camera ones that I want)(image 3) which I then can expand to reveal the profiles (image 4). Is there a way to change it so that the camera profiles are in the first drop down menu (yellow arrow) rather than having to go through the process of clicking the grid icon and then expanding the other menus?

EDIT: Solved, I just needed to set buy favourites as demonstrated on this page
http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2018/04/lightroom-cc.html

Image 1
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 16.36.38.png

Image 2
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 16.36.46.png

Image 3
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 16.36.55.png

Image 4
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 16.37.04.png

Last edited:
I've recently updated Lightroom CC and things have changed a bit, but one thing I'm not too keen on is the way profiles are now displayed. Profiles used to be at the bottom under Calibration but are now right at the top, which is fine, and there's a heap of new profile options, again fine. However, if you click on the drop down menu (yellow arrow image 1) all I get is the adobe profiles (image 2). If I want to see the rest of the profiles I have to click the grid icon (red arrow image 1) which then gives me a further list of profile headers (including the camera ones that I want)(image 3) which I then can expand to reveal the profiles (image 4). Is there a way to change it so that the camera profiles are in the first drop down menu (yellow arrow) rather than having to go through the process of clicking the grid icon and then expanding the other menus?

If you on the first menu (yellow arrow) and choose browse, select the profile you want as a favourite by pressing the star and that will add to the list.

I think that's what you mean.

Personally I like the browse option or if I know what profile I'll be using I do that at the import stage

Last edited:
If you on the first menu (yellow arrow) and choose browse, select the profile you want as a favourite by pressing the star and that will add to the list.

I think that's what you mean.

Personally I like the browse option or if I know what profile I'll be using I do that at the import stage
Thanks for this. I'd just updated my post actually as I've just found the solution that you mention (y)

what was the outcome on this?

what was the outcome on this?
Outcome is that a small number of users have experienced the same/similar incidences but no-one knows why. Apparently it's not presses of the shutter that bring it back to life, it's just time (several seconds). Memory cards and batteries have been ruled out. I contacted Panamoz who are happy to exchange, but I need a camera for this weekend and Panamoz said in which case to keep the camera, monitor it and if I'm still not happy then I can send it back.

Outcome is that a small number of users have experienced the same/similar incidences but no-one knows why. Apparently it's not presses of the shutter that bring it back to life, it's just time (several seconds). Memory cards and batteries have been ruled out. I contacted Panamoz who are happy to exchange, but I need a camera for this weekend and Panamoz said in which case to keep the camera, monitor it and if I'm still not happy then I can send it back.
isnt that odd, i guess a firmware update could sort that

isnt that odd, i guess a firmware update could sort that
Dunno, one guy sent the camera back and Nikon couldn't find a fault which suggests to me there will be no firmware fix as there's no fault as far as they're concerned. I've seen suggestions such as dirty contacts (which isn't the issue for me) as well as an over sensitive lens release button and just the slightest press could cause the lens not to register. I've tested that and can fully press the button and it doesn't stop my camera working. I am yet to ascertain any pattern.

It's not a major issue as it only 'freezes' for a matter of seconds (and not as bad as the D750 freezing where you have to turn the camera off and remove the battery), but I guess for some a few second delay could mean a missed shot. It certainly could for me this weekend at the London Marathon, I'm just praying that it doesn't happen then at some inopportune moment :eek:

Changing subject can everyone see all of my macro images above, I can only see half the rest are just displaying a Red Cross?

Last edited:
Changing subject can everyone see all of my macro images above, I can only see half the rest are just displaying a Red Cross?

I can see them all but I have had 'red cross' issues recently, maybe a common factor with recent slowness of the forum.

Just looking at the buffer on the D850, you get 51 shooting 14 bit lossless, yet a whopping 170 shooting 12 bit lossless, over three times more. However 12 bit lossless files are still 41.5mb vs 51.6mb for 14 bit lossless. That’s not 3 times less data to shift onto the cards, so how are you getting 3 times larger buffer? I’m just curious ;)

Also, I know that if you shoot with the SD card as a backup this can drastically reduce how quickly the data is cleared from the buffer resulting in a much lower buffer. However, if you are recording jpeg only as the backup will this still result in a decreased shot number before the buffer is filled?

@snerkler just get a Godox XProN and a couple of their speed lights if you need OCF.
Been looking at that Godox XPro, looks good. I don’t want to buy any extra speedlights at this time though, so if I bought one of the Godox receivers for my Nikon SB-700 would the XPro still be able to fully control the SB-700, ie change from TTL to manual, change the power etc?

For future options how many flashes can the XPro control, and could I mix and match speedlights, ie could I keep my current SB-700 and then add a Godox flash later on?

So many questions grasshopper! :D
Lol. Well we need to get this thread running, it’s 839 pages behind the D750 one ;)

Been looking at that Godox XPro, looks good. I don’t want to buy any extra speedlights at this time though, so if I bought one of the Godox receivers for my Nikon SB-700 would the XPro still be able to fully control the SB-700, ie change from TTL to manual, change the power etc?

For future options how many flashes can the XPro control, and could I mix and match speedlights, ie could I keep my current SB-700 and then add a Godox flash later on?

In all honesty I’d sell the Nikon flash guns and get godox ones. Either AA battery ones or the Li-on ones. I’ve no idea about controlling Nikon flashes with the Xpro as I only have two TT685n’s and a AD200.

Toby or anyone,have youusedthe auto lens adjustment yet.if so whatdo youthink to it?
No, not tried it just done my tried and trusted manual way (y)

Sorry, I missed this. I'm not the best person to be asking to post examples tbh as there are people that can do a much better job than me, but here goes. All single shot images with the D750 and sigma 105mm, some heavily cropped including the jumping spider which is pretty much 1:1.

Breakfast
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4594-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4566-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3836-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8056 2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8759
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_9588
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_9577
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Thanks - exactly what I wanted!

Looking through the thread it looks like hardly anyone takes photos with their D850 ?? Here's a few from a couple of recent wanders around North Wales just to prove otherwise ;)

p2795675023-5.jpg

p2822745750-5.jpg

p2534604135-5.jpg

p2678606139-5.jpg

p2674370394-5.jpg

p2812753966-5.jpg

Great shots, like #1 with the line up of Penmon Lighthouse, Puffin Island and the Orme.

GC

Back