weekly norrington21's 52's - Wk2 "Season" UPDATED V2

• Thread starter Deleted member 60145
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60145

Hope I've got this linked right?

My 52's

All going well this will help me develop my skills over the year, back in the game after many years absence and a new camera to get to grips with so perfect excuse to get snapping regularly.

All comments, feedback and advice gratefully received.

Week 1 : "Sin" - Gluttony
Week 2 : "Season" - Salt'N'Pepa
Week 3 :
Week 4 :
Week 5 :
Week 6 :
Week 7 :
Week 8 :
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week 18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited by a moderator:
Wk1 - Sin
Bit of a crappy start but wanted to get one in before Wk1 ends, promise I'll improve! :)

Meringues 2 by Norrington21, on Flickr

Hi Euan..... welcome to the madhouse :wave:

Good to see you jumping straight in ........meringue's.....yum yum, especially when accompanied by fresh strawberries & cream :D
You've caught some good detail in there but the lighting looks a little harsh....on board flash ? WB a little off maybe...should be able to sort that in ps though

Good start...onwards & upwards (y)

Good to see you jumping straight in ........meringue's.....yum yum, especially when accompanied by fresh strawberries & cream :D
You've caught some good detail in there but the lighting looks a little harsh....on board flash ? WB a little off maybe...should be able to sort that in ps though

Thanks Blondie606! First day on the forum, slowly finding my way around. Thanks for the advice.

Think this could be a little better too, based on what you and Kerioajk have said what do you make of this

Meringues by Norrington21, on Flickr

I agree with Lynne both on what it should be accompanied by and the critique, although I like a shallow depth of field in some pictures the detail over the whole picture really suits this one. Am not keen on the heavy black borders top and bottom though - either all the way around or not at all would be my preference

Nice simple idea and I love the textures.

Getting there Euan.....good on you for having a play with the image (y)

Were they totally white or was there a hint of color in them ? Only ask cos sometimes food coloring is added to the mix to liven them up a bit

Yeah slow day today so time to play, really enjoying the forum.

They had a hint of "caramel" colour running through them, home made rather than that mass produced M&S rubbish! Either that or they were over cooked! :)

Hi Euan, welcome to the 52 and the forum.
I much prefer your edit, I don't think the processing suited the subject in #1, they looked dirty to me.
It's bang on theme but feel it just needs a little something else to nail the composition as, as it is I can't find a focal point. Iain

Welcome to the 52 challenge, the colour and lighting seems a little off to me on this although the edit is better than the original.

I hope you didn't buy that many meringues just for this challenge, if so your gonna be there a while eating that lot.

Good look with the rest of the weeks.

can't add anything to what everyone else has said

welcome to the madness

Hi Euan, welcome to the 52 and the forum.
I much prefer your edit, I don't think the processing suited the subject in #1, they looked dirty to me.
It's bang on theme but feel it just needs a little something else to nail the composition as, as it is I can't find a focal point. Iain

Welcome to the 52 challenge, the colour and lighting seems a little off to me on this although the edit is better than the original.

I hope you didn't buy that many meringues just for this challenge, if so your gonna be there a while eating that lot.

Good look with the rest of the weeks.

Welcome, the re-edit is much improved.(y)

Welcome to the forum and the 2013 52's Euan :wave:

Crit as above really, Edit is certainly much better - Good start (y)

'Ello, yum..yum.

Edit is much better. Nice shadows and detail.

Cheers.

can't add anything to what everyone else has said

welcome to the madness

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and kind welcome!

Really looking forward to seeing your interpretations each wk and learning from them.

Cheers

Euan

think i'm on my own.. prefer your first version.. like the processing and border :)

Anyone have any advice on how to adjust/reduce the amount of light coming through the first two jars?
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/norrington21/8376853368/]
52's Wk2 by Norrington21, on Flickr[/URL]

The light coming straight from behind is bound to cause problems maybe some kind of diffusion would have worked. The other things are the open bottle top is cut off and the third jar is missing its top it makes it slightly unbalanced and the last large jar is sort of open just needs a bit of tiding up really

I quite like the light coming through the jars.. think i'd have closed the lid on the first one and perhaps used a wider aperture to get more DOF?.. great minds think alike.. I went for spices too :)

Hi Euan

For me loose the large jar and close the first, then just a little more DOF. Love the light from behind.

Just got to think of mine, good effort.

Hi Euan.......we have almost twin pictures (y)

I like a bit of symetry so a + from me for that ( baring the large glass jar ) , quite like the light coming through the jars as well as you can see the seeds in side (y)
MY OCD is rather iffy over the lids...all on , all off or alternate open/closed rather than the mix you have , no idea how to reduce the lighting glare which you asked about...I suspect some sort of diffuser may do the trick...someone far more knowledgeable will be along shortly to give you more help on that one (y)

Hi, Euan, yip says Season. Just feels like you could have cleaned it up a bit my closing lids and having all lids on. Regarding the flash, try some diffusion.

Cheers.

Good use of light in my opinion but agree slight clip of lid and one missing alterers the balance.

I actually quite like the light tbh

But I agree with comments on the lid and cropping, a shallower DoF might also have worked

Good job though, struggling for any original ideas this week so far myself!

I agree with all the comments about the lids, either all the same, or a regular pattern in them. I would have maybe brought the kilner jar forward a little bit so it doesn't look like it's 'pretending to fit in', and used either a wider or narrower DOF as it looks a little accidental. Other than that I really like it, shame that the light was so bright, not too sure what you could have done to help that as I don't know what your light source was, and I'm rubbish at lighting anyway.

I liked your first photograph for week one as well, the shadows and colour worked better there then in the second one for me, that looked a little flat.

A couple of nice images, a good start to your project.

The shadows and contrast is very harsh on the Sin picture, it might have worked better if you had diffused the light. I've written that before actually reading all the comments.

OK, diffusion basically means you are spreading the light out more. For example on a bright sunny day you see lots of shadows, this is because the light is coming from just 1 very bright source; the sun. On cloudy days there are no shadows, yet the light is still coming from the same source. The difference is the clouds, they act like a big softbox and diffuse the light (i.e. spread the light out evenly).

A cheap equivalent that you can use and are likely to find around the home is grease proof paper, simply place it between the light source and the subject. Then adjust the distance between the grease proof paper and the light source, the further away the more diffusion you get.

Another easy way to diffuse the light is to bounce the light off a light area (ceiling or wall usually) and use the reflected light to light your subject.

I hope this helps :)

Agree with a lot of previous comments, lid missing /cropped etc
I think the light's a bit off and a coloured gel or diffuser would help. I'd also get a reflector to highlight the front of the subject
Good for topic and good effort, getting the lighting right is all about practice, so you're in the right place (y)

Hard to add to whats been said.

Regarding the light, perhaps you could try firing your flash onto the background (that could blow it out to a solid white if the setting was right) instead of directly through the glass.

Have a play, digital is free! :)

Hard to add to whats been said.

Regarding the light, perhaps you could try firing your flash onto the background (that could blow it out to a solid white if the setting was right) instead of directly through the glass.

Have a play, digital is free! :)

Agree with a lot of previous comments, lid missing /cropped etc
I think the light's a bit off and a coloured gel or diffuser would help. I'd also get a reflector to highlight the front of the subject
Good for topic and good effort, getting the lighting right is all about practice, so you're in the right place (y)

A couple of nice images, a good start to your project.

The shadows and contrast is very harsh on the Sin picture, it might have worked better if you had diffused the light. I've written that before actually reading all the comments.

OK, diffusion basically means you are spreading the light out more. For example on a bright sunny day you see lots of shadows, this is because the light is coming from just 1 very bright source; the sun. On cloudy days there are no shadows, yet the light is still coming from the same source. The difference is the clouds, they act like a big softbox and diffuse the light (i.e. spread the light out evenly).

A cheap equivalent that you can use and are likely to find around the home is grease proof paper, simply place it between the light source and the subject. Then adjust the distance between the grease proof paper and the light source, the further away the more diffusion you get.

Another easy way to diffuse the light is to bounce the light off a light area (ceiling or wall usually) and use the reflected light to light your subject.

I hope this helps :)

I agree with all the comments about the lids, either all the same, or a regular pattern in them. I would have maybe brought the kilner jar forward a little bit so it doesn't look like it's 'pretending to fit in', and used either a wider or narrower DOF as it looks a little accidental. Other than that I really like it, shame that the light was so bright, not too sure what you could have done to help that as I don't know what your light source was, and I'm rubbish at lighting anyway.

I liked your first photograph for week one as well, the shadows and colour worked better there then in the second one for me, that looked a little flat.

I actually quite like the light tbh

But I agree with comments on the lid and cropping, a shallower DoF might also have worked

Good job though, struggling for any original ideas this week so far myself!

Good use of light in my opinion but agree slight clip of lid and one missing alterers the balance.

Hi, Euan, yip says Season. Just feels like you could have cleaned it up a bit my closing lids and having all lids on. Regarding the flash, try some diffusion.

Cheers.

Hi Euan.......we have almost twin pictures (y)

I like a bit of symetry so a + from me for that ( baring the large glass jar ) , quite like the light coming through the jars as well as you can see the seeds in side (y)
MY OCD is rather iffy over the lids...all on , all off or alternate open/closed rather than the mix you have , no idea how to reduce the lighting glare which you asked about...I suspect some sort of diffuser may do the trick...someone far more knowledgeable will be along shortly to give you more help on that one (y)

Hi Euan

For me loose the large jar and close the first, then just a little more DOF. Love the light from behind.

Just got to think of mine, good effort.

I quite like the light coming through the jars.. think i'd have closed the lid on the first one and perhaps used a wider aperture to get more DOF?.. great minds think alike.. I went for spices too :)

The light coming straight from behind is bound to cause problems maybe some kind of diffusion would have worked. The other things are the open bottle top is cut off and the third jar is missing its top it makes it slightly unbalanced and the last large jar is sort of open just needs a bit of tiding up really

Hello Everyone, thank you for the valued feedback, I finally got a day to respond and have another go at my shot. Used grease proof paper to defuse the light, thanks n1cky!

After a bit of playing these were my results! if you'd like to comment please do.

I'm not very happy with any of them so have decided to go with a new object!

What do you think, 1 or 2?

Salt'N'Pepa 1.

P1040772 by Norrington21, on Flickr

Salt'N'Pepa 2.

P1040755 by Norrington21, on Flickr

Hi, Euan, second 2 are much better. Lighting is a lot more even. I'd have for close.

Your new season submissions are much bette and more interesting.

Cheers.

Hi, Euan, second 2 are much better. Lighting is a lot more even. I'd have for close.

Your new season submissions are much bette and more interesting.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, much appreciated! ;)

Back