Nostalgia is it a thing of the past?

Did you have those wall bars at school where they swung out from the wall with climbing ropes hanging down. We used to climb them over a parquet floor. H & S wouldnt let you do it in a suite of armour these days.

Now that takes me back.......we had after school gym for strength building to do with rock climbing. Think this was when I was 15 or 16.

On the frame you mention I had climbed the rope and reached the top cross bar/beam and then someone hit the frame causing me to lose my grip.......I went down almost horizontal and landed with my wrist under my left hip.

Within 10 mins there was a golf ball sized swelling on wrist. The teacher responsible for first aid deemed it not broken.

Next morning with it swollen even more my father took me to A&E , turned out I chipped my radius......nothing to set but put me in plaster to stabilise it whilst it healed.

To this day the full wrist movement is a tad compromised, because the tendons never stretched over displaced healed bone :(. That restricted movement did not help when I later did karate and the Sensei insisted on grasping the clenched fists to force movement.......and mine just would not flex sufficiently to his liking!!!

Heh ho, good old school days :)

Pebble Mill at One, the forerunner of all dire TV magazine shows.

Does anyone remember 'Watch with mother' on TV,
Then there was 'Listen with mother' on Radio 4... which always began with the words "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin",
Bit of a misnomer though. Mother would sit you in front of the TV / Radio so she could get on :D

A little bit later, but The Tomorrow People - Sammy Winmill featured in my early teenage dreams.
I'd forgotten about that / her!

But can she really compete with Dianna Rigg as Mrs Peel and those skin tight cat cat suits? :D

Then there was Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), I still enjoy watching the occasional episode of that. And, on weekday mornings during those long summer school holidays, 'Why Don't You...' on BBC 1. Magpie with Sally James could be interesting. Oh, and does anyone remember 'How', with Jack Hargreaves, Fred Dinage and Bunty!

Out of Town with Jack Hargreaves was a lovely and interesting programme on Sunday mornings too, when I could remember it was on to watch it.

Last edited:
Ah yes, The Tomorrow People. :)
Mike Holloway was a drummer in the band Flintlock, but they never made it big, and Nicholas Lyndhurst was an extra, playing a Nazi stormtrooper. Sturmtruppler 1.png

Paperplay with Susan Stranks plus Itsy and Bitsy. Itsy and Bitsy being a couple of glove puppet spiders that used to walk on Susan. I wanted that job when I grew up. ;)

I used to watch The Tomorrow People, but can't recall much of it. Was that the one where one of the actors was a member of a 70's pop band Flintlock?

There was also a program called Timeslip.

Never watched The Avengers.

Captain Scarlet was, for me, the best of the Gerry Anderson offerings.

Never watched The Avengers.
I always thought Diana Rigg was by far the best performer in that series. She was the recipient of one of the nastiest insults committed to paper when an American "critic" described her as "built like a brick mausoleum with insufficient flying buttresses".

The seventh Doctor, dressed in a Sherlock Holmes-type outfit, chasing a fluffy pink worm thingy that could disappear through walls.
I really wanted one of those as a pet.
I never watched the 7th Doctor episodes, never found the inclination to watch Sylvester McCoy.
John Pertwee was always my favourite. As for the Doctors companions, that would have to be Elisabeth Sladen and Nicola Bryant. Nicola's character Peri fell foul of Mary Whitehouse and had to cover up a bit after her first series. A local department store used to hire Doctor Who actors for autograph meet and greet sessions. My youngest son was a big Doctor Who fan when Christopher Ecclestone took over the role so I had to take him to get autographs even though the actors were from long before his time. We got to meet Colin Baker, Peter Davison, Louise Jameson who played Leela and for me, best of all , I got to meet Nicola Bryant. :)

I never watched the 7th Doctor episodes, never found the inclination to watch Sylvester McCoy.
Everyone's taste varies. I thought that McCoy and Aldred were the best team of the first run, though Baker and Jameson run them a close second in my opinion.

Leela and Ace were awesome.
If they'd ever put those two together, the Doctor would've had to spend every episode saving the bad guys.

But can she really compete with Dianna Rigg as Mrs Peel and those skin tight cat cat suits?

Completely different 'target market', with Sammi theoretical girlfriend material rather than fantasy. However DR was quite an eyeful, but the ultimate lady in that kind of costume was Lee Meriwether, capable of setting peri-pubertal pulses racing, never mind for adults.

It's Friday and 5pm .....

BWE0qN.jpg

It's Friday, it's five to five...it's Crackerjack.
With Leslie Crowther and Peter Glaze!

As for Dr Who, another vote for Jon Pertwee here, those episodes with The Master, played by Roger Delgado were fantastic, a great character actor that just looked the epitome of evil. I think Sylvester McCoy was a very underrated Dr, some of those episodes with Ace were pretty good, considering how much the budget had been cut and the fact they were transmitted on a Weds evening instead of the traditional Saturday evening slot.

Last edited:
The Water Margin
Monkey
Tony Hart
Magpie, NOT Blue Peter.

Proper Tom and Jerry when it was ultra violent.

The Water Margin was one of those completely iconic bits of TV that cross cultures and catch the imagination. It was the diametric opposite of Kung Fu, which was more cultural appropriation (and I'm fine with that) which was also on around the same time(ish).

A little before that, other US programs that worked well for us kids were Time Tunnel (they tried a remake, which didn't get past the pilot) and 20,000 leagues under the sea with a futuristic US navy submarine.

Real nostalgia trip today. Came across this Routemaster at a car show and it brought back memories of chasing after the 19 at Finsbury Park and swinging aboard as the bus accelerated. Not possible with modern buses nor my aging lungs...

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310885.jpg

...20,000 leagues under the sea with a futuristic US navy submarine.
That was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (aboard the Seaview). 20K was the 19th Century Jules Verne novel (aboard Nautilus).
Voyage was made by the same guy who made Time Tunnel.

ETA: The rubber glove monsters attacking the Seaview were a hoot to watch. :LOL:

Last edited:
That was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (aboard the Seaview). 20K was the 19th Century Jules Verne novel (aboard Nautilus).
Voyage was made by the same guy who made Time Tunnel.

ETA: The rubber glove monsters attacking the Seaview were a hoot to watch. :LOL:

Thank you - I KNEW 20KL didn't sound right.

Real nostalgia trip today. Came across this Routemaster at a car show and it brought back memories of chasing after the 19 at Finsbury Park and swinging aboard as the bus accelerated. Not possible with modern buses nor my aging lungs...

View attachment 248184

And the signs that said, "No Spitting". And the pipe smoke.

The Water Margin was one of those completely iconic bits of TV that cross cultures and catch the imagination. It was the diametric opposite of Kung Fu, which was more cultural appropriation (and I'm fine with that) which was also on around the same time(ish).

A little before that, other US programs that worked well for us kids were Time Tunnel (they tried a remake, which didn't get past the pilot) and 20,000 leagues under the sea with a futuristic US navy submarine.
Land of the Giants
Lost in Space
The Banana Splits
HR Puff 'n' Stuff

Did you know there's a Banana Splits movie coming out later this year?
From what I've heard about the plot, the Splits are actually robots in fur suits, and they go Terminator on the studio audience during a TV episode filming.

Double deckers
The white horses, good theme tune
Pipkins with Hartley hare (who looked like he had myxomatosis).
Tinga and Tucker, a very early memory.

And Topov the monkey!

Was there a Pipkins tortoise?
Or am I getting mixed up with Fingerbobs?

Was there a Pipkins tortoise?
Or am I getting mixed up with Fingerbobs?
There was...called (boringly), Tortoise.
Also Octavia the Ostrich and Pig the, erm, pig.

I remember Hartley and Topov, wasn't sure about Tortoise, but don't remember Octavia or Pig at all.

Pans People & Legs & Co.?

Last edited:
I remember Hartley and Topov, wasn't sure about Tortoise, but don't remember Octavia or Pig at all.
Pig had a Brummie accent and used to say, " My names Pig and I like cream buns".
Octavia was a French opera singer!

Back