Not sitting on the Fence - or TP's version of Brexit

We could just surrender give away our thoughts.

(was going to use surrender but apparently that is the latest very inflammatory foul language in this PC Snowflake world)

Humbug! (Shame Dickens isn't alive - we would have hung him for writing such abuse in 2019).

And before anyone starts the 'milk before tea' or milk after tea' debate I'd like to say both are an abomination.

You have one of the best beverages in the world and you put cow juice in it!

Dave

Brexit .... Brexit
Can we have a show of hands for banning the honorable Horrible member for mentioning THAT word not once but twice in the same post, in here?

And before anyone starts the 'milk before tea' or milk after tea
people put tea in cow juice? now that is a true abomination Bluuurg :puke:

Last edited:
Aha! Not quite correct.
To be designated AF1, it has to de an Air Force aircraft (any, not just 747)
If it carries the VP (and not PotuS), it's then called Air Force 2.
If neither are aboard, it then reverts to it's original given number.
Well not according to the film I saw ( who's name escapes me for now), when the POTUS was transferred from one plane to another mid air :p

We could just surrender give away our thoughts.

(was going to use surrender but apparently that is the latest very inflammatory foul language in this PC Snowflake world)

Humbug! (Shame Dickens isn't alive - we would have hung him for writing such abuse in 2019).

Yes, you must be very careful about this. From now on that awful word you mentioned will be known as the "S" word ( it is proscribed along with the P, N, F etc. words that must not be spoken or written.) Holy manure - we will soon all be speaking in shorthand !
Don't think about surrendering (sorry "s" ing) an insurance policy for cash. That must stop.

If you are unfortunate enough to have bad health that rules out driving then you must download https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/declaration-of-voluntary-surrender.
Heavens above, look at that. These bloody government dolts are still using the "S" word.

Bring back plain speaking. Call a spade a spade (Oops ! is that word still permissible.)

Call a spade a spade (Oops ! is that word still permissible.)
The currently PC word is (I believe) "shovel" (as shown)....

Panasonic TZ7 1020377.jpg

Last edited:
Surely the only way to sort it definitively is to have a referendum
Won't we need a referendum on whether or not to have a referendum, and if we collectively vote yes on having a referendum then we will have to have a vote on what the question will be.
This is about as political as I get....if we have a vote on stay or leave but we have to know exactly what leave will mean shouldn't we also know exactly what stay should mean too. That's it no more politicking

'This question reheats a confectionery conundrum first raised in 1991. A tax is charged on chocolate-covered biscuits, but not on cakes. The manufacturer, McVities, had always categorised them as cakes and to boost their revenue the tax authorities wanted them recategorised as biscuits. A legal case was fought in front of a brilliant adjudicator, Mr D C Potter. For McVities, this produced a sweet result. The Jaffa Cake has both cake-like qualities and biscuit-like qualities, but Mr Potter's verdict was that, on balance, a Jaffa Cake is a cake.'

This is presumably why Panamoz and DigitalRev do not bother selling Jaffa Cakes.

Leaving aside my own views on whether Brexit will / would be as bad or nearly as bad for the country as being in a total state of war, what seems to me to be missing in most of our political leaders is any sense of duty to our country, i.e. putting the country rather than putting their own financial or political advantage first.

Maybe they should read Horatius at the Bridge

“Horatius,” quoth the Consul, “As thou sayest so let it be,” And straight against that great array Went forth the dauntless three.
For Romans in Rome’s quarrel Spared neither land nor gold, Nor son nor wife, nor limb nor life, In the brave days of old. Then none was for a party— Then all were for the state; Then the great man helped the poor, And the poor man loved the great; Then lands were fairly portioned! Then spoils were fairly sold: The Romans were like brothers In the brave days of old."

Won't we need a referendum on whether or not to have a referendum, and if we collectively vote yes on having a referendum then we will have to have a vote on what the question will be.
This is about as political as I get....if we have a vote on stay or leave but we have to know exactly what leave will mean shouldn't we also know exactly what stay should mean too. That's it no more politicking

"Question" .............. singular ? Good god sir, that will not do. There will need to be a minimum 35 questions (multiple choice, of course). Voting will be compulsory, but to be fair to the white feather brigade (notice how I carefully avoided using the term "Surrender Monkey") anyone who feels that their conscience prohibits them voting will have the opportunity to surrender (just cannot get away from that word) their ballot paper with an explanation. The Chicken Supreme court plus John Major will give due consideration prior to rejection.

Last edited:
"Question" .............. singular ? Good god sir, that will not do. There will need to be a minimum 35 questions (multiple choice, of course). Voting will be compulsory, but to be fair to the white feather brigade (notice how I carefully avoided using the term "Surrender Monkey") anyone who feels that their conscience prohibits them voting will have the opportunity to surrender (just cannot get away from that word) their ballot paper with an explanation. The Chicken Supreme court plus John Major will give due consideration prior to rejection.

I'm offended by this post - far too much use of the 'S' word it needs removing. In fact I can't get out of bed in case I'm offended even more by this rhetoric!

@arclight - you need to apologise now for such inflammatory posts!

Last edited:
Don't be silly, Doug. There'll be no need for all that tedious voting nonsense in the post-Brexit world. Boris Johnson can be trusted to look after our interests as Lord Protector, and a new Star Chamber of carefully selected Cabinet Ministers will take on the onerous responsibilities of the Supreme Court. MPs will welcome their reduced workload, as an automatic Five Year Prorogation will mean they are required only to approve all Government legislation once in each Parliamentary Term. And, to demonstrate that He is happy to listen to ideas from other quarters, the Lord Protector will on this occasion replace the archaic tradition of voting lobbies with the show of hands system used so successfully at the last Labour Conference. General Elections will of course be superfluous, since the Referendum result of 2016 perfectly encapsulates the Eternal Will of the British People, and will give our Wise and Benevolent Leader all the guidance he needs to bring about a new age of Wealth and Prosperity (at least for his backers).

I've never understood why anyone would use cream instead of butter, which obviously goes on first. Strawberry jam, of course. Only a fool would use raspberry. Apricot is acceptable.
I think you'll find apricot jam is never acceptable! :puke:

See above
Sorry, I deleted my question after I saw your full and comprehensive reply.

Your score: 1/3. You might be able to improve this by stating your preference for including currants in the scones, and accepting the correct pronunciation: 'sconn'.

Last edited:
Don't tell ne you like blackberry..?
Eww... not on a scone (pronounced to rhyme with gone), it's got to be strawberry. Raspberries should be reserved for serving unadulterated with fresh double cream or in a pie with glazed shortcrust pastry... meringues might be acceptable as long as they're suitably gooey in the middle. Pretty much anything else is a waste of a raspberry! :D

Last edited:
I've never understood why anyone would use cream instead of butter, which obviously goes on first. Strawberry jam, of course. Only a fool would use raspberry. Apricot is acceptable.
Your'll get no argument from me on any of that (y)

Last edited:
I'm offended by this post - far too much use of the 'S' word it needs removing. In fact I can't get out of bed in case I'm offended even more by this rhetoric!

@arclight - you need to apologise now for such inflammatory posts!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm a firm supporter of the Cream party. Bloody butterers, Booo!
Cream should only be used in liqueur coffee's and meringue based desserts (y)

Despite our many differences (I'm especially disappointed about the level of anti-apricot feeling in this forum) there seems to be an unusual degree of agreement about the superiority of strawberry jam to most other jams. We could use this to build bridges and forge a new consensus. On the other hand, the details are important, and I feel I must point out that Bonne Maman Strawberry Conserve is the only supermarket strawberry jam worth buying...

Back