OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

My original Exakta was a Varex IIB - I still have it with a non working shutter. I also still have the lenses I bought at the time, and of course after the Photography Show I added an Exa500 and a few more lenses.

Today I received an Exakta Varex IIA - the original 1957 IIA with the 1/150th second shutter speed (that's not a typo - it lies between 1/100th and 1/250th) with another f/2 58mm Biotar. I'll attempt to add photos later; and I'll also attempt to go out and use it! There was a later IIA in 1957 which differed only in not having that speed.

So I now have a Kine Exakta 2nd version (1937), a Varex IIA and a Varex IIB plus the Exa500.

I am not a collector...

Having sold a few bits and pieces I'm in the usual position of wanting to spend my profits but am in a few different minds at the moment. I'm looking at 3 different cameras;

1) Chrome Olympus OM1/50mm - I think I've had 4 OM2's now but never owned an OM1. The Olympus bodies are the only SLRs I keep coming back to so I find them hard to resist.

2) Canon GIII QL17 - Bit of a cult following meaning silly prices but I've seen a chrome version which is a good price. Me being me, I wouldn't leave it standard so have a few ideas with it being a good price.

3) Fuji Instax Neo 90 - Again, me being me means that I wouldn't keep it standard. I've got some ideas about copying Leica's model and replacing the body with a new printed version. Bit of a longer term idea so maybe not something I could focus on straight away. I've got a pack of B&W Instax Mini on my desk looking at me but I'm still not 100% happy with the Instax back on my TLR so am reluctant to use it in that.

So basically, I've got my eyes on three completely different cameras and am struggling to decide. Any thoughts to help me out? :0)

Write the names on seperate bits of paper. Put bits of paper in bag. Draw out one as the one you'd buy and go with your gut reaction?

I'd be no help as I'd get all of them then sell the ones I liked the least...or not and end up with a shelf full.

Write the names on seperate bits of paper. Put bits of paper in bag. Draw out one as the one you'd buy and go with your gut reaction?

I'd be no help as I'd get all of them then sell the ones I liked the least...or not and end up with a shelf full.

Thanks Suz, good idea. It's the shelf full situation I'm trying to avoid. I don't get a lot of time to shoot any camera so the last thing I want is to spend my time looking at loads of them!

Thanks Suz, good idea. It's the shelf full situation I'm trying to avoid. I don't get a lot of time to shoot any camera so the last thing I want is to spend my time looking at loads of them!

I have a system to avoid that. The compacts/small SLRs etc are left to right on the shelf so the ones I have used the most recently are on the right. I take the next one from the left as they're all quite similar in abilities :)

Spend your money on a V good lens instead?

Good advice except the only interchangeable lens camera I own at the moment is a (shhh) digital :0) I've already got a 50/1.8, 50/3.5 macro, 80-200, 12/2, 16-50 and 35mm covered for digital so there's not really anything that's jumping out for me to add.

I'm edging towards the OM1 because, even though I like the idea of a compact rangefinder with the Canon, I think I enjoy the SLR handling more.

If it's a compact range finder you want then I can recommend the Yashica Electro 35 GX as being rather good.

The Canonet is an excellent camera with a very nice lens. You can sometimes get a GL19 for a bit less; 45mm f/1.9 lens rather than 40mm f/1.7, maybe a bit bigger and heavier IIRC (800gm vs 620, 140mm wide vs 120 etc, I think)

The Canonet is an excellent camera with a very nice lens. You can sometimes get a GL19 for a bit less; 45mm f/1.9 lens rather than 40mm f/1.7, maybe a bit bigger and heavier IIRC (800gm vs 620, 140mm wide vs 120 etc, I think)

Thanks Chris. I didn't actually set out to look for a giii but a nice looking one has turned up so it's peaked my interest. The OM1 I was looking at has sold now (for £25!) so unless another bargain turns up I won't go looking for one.

I keep coming back to the Instax body as I think the demand for them is only going to keep growing. In the meantime I've decided to sell on my Minox B kit as I've now got subminiature out of my system :0)

So yesterday I swapped a Pentax Z-1 and a couple of Pentax-F lenses for a Pentax LX, at West Yorkshire Cameras. Not sure about the focussing screen (which seems kind of hard to focus with... it's pretty much completely plain), and it's a little beat up, but I am well pleased! However, so far I only have 50% success in loading the film properly! At least the second one still had the leader out so I was able to have another go...

I find firing the shutter then using the winder one frame with the back open is a good way of making sure films are loaded better. The voigtlander is a bit wonky in this department. Not all cameras let you do that though.

So yesterday I swapped a Pentax Z-1 and a couple of Pentax-F lenses for a Pentax LX, at West Yorkshire Cameras. Not sure about the focussing screen (which seems kind of hard to focus with... it's pretty much completely plain), and it's a little beat up, but I am well pleased! However, so far I only have 50% success in loading the film properly! At least the second one still had the leader out so I was able to have another go...

As a confirmed Pentax 35mm and 645 user, my LX is first choice. It's a super camera and is usually the one I grab (I have a couple of MXs and ME Supers too).

There are plety of diffferent focussing screens knocking around but some sellers are looking for silly money for them. I have a plain screen fitted which suilts me as the original one was the sg20 cross hairs model which I couldn't get on with.

Have fun!

Last edited:
^ The spirit is strong in this one tonight :)

^ The spirit is strong in this one tonight :)
I wish the spirit was allowable in me but strong meds makes it impossible!

Tidied....

I've just paid for this, should have it by the middle of the week;

IMG_7726.JPG

I've been looking for another Instax body to shoot a pack of B&W film I've had for a while and this came up with 2 packs of colour for a good price. I'm not a fan of the Mini 8 because of the manual lens release and it looks generally chunky so the Mini 70 should be ideal.

Also, underneath the outer body it's basically a Neo 90 so in turn is also a Leica Sofort so i am tempted to take some measurements and see if I can produce my own replacement body like Leica did :0)

Last edited:
Got a brand new ruined second hand OM4T from ebay.

AGL_4081.jpg

It was a bit of a surprise but then I do a certain amount of drunk ebaying - I have a program that does the bidding in the last few seconds of an auction for me and I tend to load it up with stuff I fancy after coming back from the pub. If I don't remember to check in the morning and delete stuff I often find I have won stuff that I don't need or want. I forgot and got this beauty for £70, the only bidder because there was just one crap photo of it, and a bit annoying because I don't have any Zuiko lenses so had to shell out another £50 on the glass. And when it turned up the controls were a bit reluctant to move and it had the musty smell of lofts and disappointment. But it's great! The viewfinder is big and clear and clean and the buttons work and it has fancy spot metering and the shutter makes a lovely noise and it just works! Much better than the horrible fiddly OM1s and 2s that I had tried before. All the shots on the test roll came out great. Love it!

April_2017_15-sml.jpg

View attachment 99109

Last edited:
New toy arrived today;

IMG_7736.JPG

I like the overall size of the Mini 70, it's much more compact than other Instax bodies like the Mini 8 but it's clearly designed for portrait orientation shooting rather than landscape. The shutter button is on the front of the body so is pretty awkward to use any other way than straight up. (Hence why the Instax Mini Neo 90 has two buttons) I'm tempted to print a grip to attach to the tripod thread and fit another shutter button. I've tried to open the camera up today and have failed so far! I think it's held together with plastic clips so it's a matter of figuring out where they are!

I'm also finalising a sale on a Canon Canonet QL17 Giii at the moment although I'm still not sure if I actually want a 35mm rangefinder again but it's hard to resist!

Last edited:
Auction buy is here. Looks excellent. Weighs a ton. It's in some kind of case that I can't get it out of. It's got a film in already and the wind on feels a bit slack. I want to take that one out and put my own in or at least check what it's up to.

The Leica strap needs to be taken off. It's got some split ring but thats inside a plastic cover and I don't want to break it. There has to be a really easy way to get the bottom bit off or some of it off to load film surely? It's one of those old fashioned up and over case thingies.

I know I'm being dim somehow :)

Finally worked it out. It's got extra poppers that dumbo here didn't realise allowed me to slip the case off.

Wound back roll of Fuji neopan left in it. Ooh.

Last edited:
Well bored so I bid on a Chinon Cp-7m just the body though for £6.20 inc postage..do I need it cos not :rolleyes:, not worried about lenses as it's Pentax mount and is all buttons and no knobs with LCD.

Went to a camera fair yesterday where there were hundreds of old film cameras, lenses and accessories for sale. Found a lovely Rolleicord Vb, a Bronica GS1 and a Minolta Autocord, among lots of others.

You know what I bought there? Just two flexible cable releases for the sum of £3.50. :D :LOL:

Went to a camera fair yesterday where there were hundreds of old film cameras, lenses and accessories for sale. Found a lovely Rolleicord Vb, a Bronica GS1 and a Minolta Autocord, among lots of others.

You know what I bought there? Just two flexible cable releases for the sum of £3.50. :D :LOL:

As a tog, you spent less than a fiver at a a fair where you were surrounded by photographic temptation:wideyed:...You've either got superb will power or you had a woman in toe:exit::D:D

You know what I bought there? Just two flexible cable releases for the sum of £3.50. :D [emoji38]
Was that the Frome fair by any chance?

Steve

As a tog, you spent less than a fiver at a a fair where you were surrounded by photographic temptation:wideyed:...You've either got superb will power or you had a woman in toe:exit::D:D

I can't help but think that your attitude to women might be one of the reasons you seem to find yourself without one so often... and it's spelt "tow".

Yeah I'm as surprised as you! I did have a play with a Rolleicord Vb that Rocky Cameras was selling (he's... interesting?) but it was well used, and based on his reputation for after sales customer service I decided to give it a miss lol :LOL:

Was that the Frome fair by any chance?

Steve

It was! Were you there Steve? I think the next one's in October isn't it? I'm planning to get there earlier next time before the interesting stuff gets sold :)

I can't help but think that your attitude to women might be one of the reasons you seem to find yourself without one so often... and it's spelt "tow".
Quite correct, it is spelt "tow"....... my spelling of of the English vocabulary is without doubt deteriorating, not that it is a surprise given that I live in a foreign country where, on a daily basis, I write and speak a different language!

As for my attitude to women.......As you are, I believe, a female, perhaps my humour comes across as irritating or offensive, I don't know.
Either way it is not intentional and I offer my appologies if that be the case.

It is a known fact that many men are unable to spend or do things they wish as they are "controlled" by their female partners.....I was simply making humour of those types of situations/ relationships..

The fact that I am often without female company has nothing to do with my attitude towards the female race, in fact the majority of friends that I have are female, mostly in relationships / married and they relate to me extremely well as I generally have a much more open minded, and equal rights attitude towards ladies than do a lot of men!

Prior to making an assumption that my attitude might be one of the reasons that I find myself without female company, may I suggest that you meet me in person, spend a considerable length of time with me and then once you consider that you "know me" make a judgement on my character

I would hope that your pre judgement of other people, in the way that you have chosen to pre judge me, is not a regular behaviour on your part, as you may well find yourself without too many friends or partners!!!.

Anyway, moving on, seeing as this is Fusty and Crusty rather than Hot Topics;

IMG_7751.JPG

I've just had this delivered by a very nice man via EBay. I liked the slightly utilitarian feel of my Fed-1G and this Kiev-4a has that too although it feels much more robust. Apart from a bit of clean needed, the camera feels almost like new (unused for 15 years but still feels pretty smooth). Now I just need to put a roll of Vista through to test :0)

Last edited:
I'll get the popcorn... :D
Unless Charlotte wishes to do some sort of stand up comic sketch to entertain you, you won't be needing much popcorn Ken

I'm outa here...........................:wave:

Anyway, moving on, seeing as this is Fusty and Crusty rather than Hot Topics;

View attachment 99613

I've just had this delivered by a very nice man via EBay. I liked the slightly utilitarian feel of my Fed-1G and this Kiev-4a has that too although it feels much more robust. Apart from a bit of clean needed, the camera feels almost like new (unused for 15 years but still feels pretty smooth). Now I just need to put a roll of Vista through to test :0)
Looks good Steve, you're not helping my G.A.S here. I've fancied a Kiev for a while now but never got around to buying one. I'll look forward to seeing your test shots if you post them up [emoji5]

Last edited:
Looks good Steve, you're not helping my G.A.S here. I've fancied a Kiev for a while now but never got around to buying one. I'll look forward to seeing your test shots if you post them up [emoji5]

Yeah, sorry about that ;0) I turned down a Canonet Giii QL17 to get the Kiev instead and I think I made the right decision. I need to actually go and buy some film before I can test it though. I've got a fridge shelf full of 120 but no 135 at the moment :0(

Back