OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I bought this Cosinon 40mm f2.5 pancake lens off eBay on Saturday and was surprised that it arrived today. I also ended up with a Pentax pancake lens as I was bidding on both and won them. I'm just waiting for that one to arrive.View attachment 133692
The Pentax 40mm f2.8 arrived today! A little fungus that should be easy to sort but no other issues.

I also picked up a Fotosnaiper 12 from Cash Converters. It has an extra body that doesn't seem to work, all of the filters, lens hood and extra film.IMG_20180905_174317.jpegIMG_20180905_174116.jpeg

The Pentax 40mm f2.8 arrived today! A little fungus that should be easy to sort but no other issues.

I also picked up a Fotosnaiper 12 from Cash Converters. It has an extra body that doesn't seem to work, all of the filters, lens hood and extra film.View attachment 133831View attachment 133832
I tried a Pentax 40mm when I bought my first MX, but didn't buy it. I do regret that now, specially given how expensive they are (2-3 times the price in the charity shop!). But I found it too compressed for easy access to the focus and aperture rings. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts and see some results once you've had a chance to use these. Pentaxforum user reviews give it 8.5 but that's on the basis of 2 reviews, compared to 7.8 for the Pentax... but 34 reviews so much easier to trust!

Another new arrival is this tin containing 5m of FP4 with an expiry date of November 1985. I was expecting it to be bigger than it was as there was nothing in the photos for comparison. I've included the 49mm lens cap for this purpose.IMG_20180906_221336.jpeg

That's because there's only about 16 feet of film in there, rather than the 50 or 100 foot roll for use in a bulk loader. Was this size roll perhaps for use in a bulk film back on a motor driven SLR camera, I know Nikon used to make that sort of film back set up?

Last edited:
That's because there's only about 16 feet of film in there, rather than a 25 or 30m roll for use in a bulk loader. Was this size roll perhaps for use in a bulk film back on a motor driven SLR camera, I know Nikon used to make this sort of set up?
This was the size we poor students could afford back in the 70's. Used to load 4 or 5 cassettes in a changing bag using a length of string with knots at 24 and 36 exposures.

That's because there's only about 16 feet of film in there, rather than a 25 or 30m roll for use in a bulk loader. Was this size roll perhaps for use in a bulk film back on a motor driven SLR camera, I know Nikon used to make this sort of set up?
Yeah it didn't occur to me at the time that it's only about 3 films worth. It cost £8 so still not too bad. They used to sell refills for Ilford FP3 and HP3 cassettes called 935 which had 20 exposures.

This was the size we poor students could afford back in the 70's. Used to load 4 or 5 cassettes in a changing bag using a length of string with knots at 24 and 36 exposures.
Poor students in the 1970s? I don't remember seeing many of those, but I seem to recall tales about the world of student grants and beer at about 10p a pint in the SU bar? ;)

As for 'poverty model' film, I remember cycling round all the chemists in the area trying to find someone that sold 12 exposure 35mm film as that was all my Saturday job money could run to (including developing and printing costs)! Plus enough left for a can of cider and a bag of crinkle-cut chips from the Chinese take-away with my mates hanging round the local shops on a Saturday evening. Happy days. :)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, my maths is getting worse. If there's eight frames per foot and 3.3 feet per meter then you should get five 27 exposure films

Poor students in the 1970s? I don't remember seeing many of those, but I seem to recall tales about the world of student grants and beer at about 10p a pint in the SU bar? ;)

As for 'poverty model' film, I remember cycling round all the chemists in the area trying to find someone that sold 12 exposure 35mm film as that was all my Saturday job money could run to (including developing and printing costs)! Plus enough left for a can of cider and a bag of chips from the Chinese take-away with my mates hanging round the local shops on a Saturday evening. Happy days. :)
Not everyone got a full grant. [emoji19] Staffordshire cut down grants depending on how many elder siblings had grants and for how many years. I had 2 x PhDs and a medic in front of me.

Not everyone got a full grant. [emoji19] Staffordshire cut down grants depending on how many elder siblings had grants and for how many years. I had 2 x PhDs and a medic in front of me.
And I hope you never let any of them forget that in that case! ;) (y)

Last edited:

As for 'poverty model' film, I remember cycling round all the chemists in the area trying to find someone that sold 12 exposure 35mm film as that was all my Saturday job money could run to (including developing and printing costs)! Plus enough left for a can of cider and a bag of crinkle-cut chips from the Chinese take-away with my mates hanging round the local shops on a Saturday evening. Happy days. :)
Not too long ago, in the good old days of Tesco and Asda photo processing was cheaper than it was in the 70s. Remember those days? When you could get Agfa Vista for £1.

When I were a lad, in the 70s, I couldn't afford to get all of my film developed. I still have exposed colour film from back then.

I was planning on having a go at stand developing with some black &white. There was a guy on YouTube who did a video demonstrating his method for b&w and colour so maybe I'll see if they're recoverable.

I was a poor student in the early 1970s. I got 70% of the basic grant which was about £300 per year. My parents were supposed to provide the other 30% but it never happened. The year after I left uni the grant was increased from £400ish a year to over £600 which was still not riches.

Beer was 16p a pint which came as a shock after my local's 8p a pint with the consolation that the beer was drinkable.

I was a poor student in the early 1970s. I got 70% of the basic grant which was about £300 per year. My parents were supposed to provide the other 30% but it never happened. The year after I left uni the grant was increased from £400ish a year to over £600 which was still not riches.

Beer was 16p a pint which came as a shock after my local's 8p a pint with the consolation that the beer was drinkable.

I suppose the point I was making was that students in those days didn't usually finish Uni with £30k of debt... mind you, I think Uni was perhaps more a privilege for only the most academically gifted amongst us in those days, and not some sort of 'right of expectation' as it could possibly be seen these days? So it was easier to fund the comparative few that attended from the public purse. Anyway, be it student or apprentice, film and processing wasn't cheap in those days and our hobby wasn't much good without either of them!

Last edited:
Well at my age thought I could be pushing up daises by the time I find a +2 dioptre eyepiece for my FM at the bootie, so bought one from the bay at £7 inc postage

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
I tried a Pentax 40mm when I bought my first MX, but didn't buy it. I do regret that now, specially given how expensive they are (2-3 times the price in the charity shop!). But I found it too compressed for easy access to the focus and aperture rings. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts and see some results once you've had a chance to use these. Pentaxforum user reviews give it 8.5 but that's on the basis of 2 reviews, compared to 7.8 for the Pentax... but 34 reviews so much easier to trust!

I found the aperture/focus rings were less difficult to manipulate than I expected in use. The design of Pentax gear from that era was very well thought out - even with the tiny focus ring, it was so ridged and grippy which really compensated. Performance was not great at f/2.8, but stopped down was perfectly respectable and the 40mm was a very nice focal length (my walkaround lens is a 35mm, and I find 50mm usually too long). It made a very nice simple walkaround kit attached to an MX.

They are one of the K-mount lenses that really seem to hold their value, so it's definitely worth a try.

Over the years most guys here have overlooked one of the nicest 40mm lenses..the Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 (also 28mm f3.5). Fit them to a Konica Autoreflex TC, changed the battery to 1.5v and adjust the ASA and although a basic non plastic fantastic mechanical camera it does the job for most of your shots. A few years ago the 40mm and 28mm lenses were so cheap I bought a couple. (y)

Made a purchase of a couple of camera bags with contents a few days ago.
Surprised at how good the condition of everything was. Meters work and flashes work!
Only problem seems to be that the seals have perished so any suggestions for sorting these out would be appreciated.

My intention is to keep one of the cameras and use it now and again. And I'm more likely to keep the Minolta as I also have a 35-70 f3.5 which I can use. Unless there are reasons to keep the OM-30?

2018-09-10 09.22.07.jpg 2018-09-10 09.24.15.jpg 2018-09-10 09.25.43.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Asha,

Good to see your connection is working well,great to see you back.(y)

It'll be tulips that you push up Bri, you have too much class for daisies………………….., but not for some time yet! ;)
Welcome back Asha, its been too long :wave::banana:

:agree:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Asha,

Good to see your connection is working well,great to see you back.(y)

Cheers Rich
Tbh I've only come back to take the p*** out of Nick lol
Speak of the dwarf, oops I mean devil, pmsl, here he is……

Welcome back Asha, its been too long :wave::banana:

Nearly 18months matey.
Have you missed me sooooooooooooo much lol
You'll be sick to the back teeth of my " presence" within a week and praying for me to dissapear again PMSL

Anyway, before someone bounds in bleeting that thread is going off topic, it aint, …..I have a new film related toy…….TP!!!!

Albiet I have only just returned, I already need help ( yes I know I need THAT kind of help! LOL)
I can't find any smilies on my forum page…..where are they??
I can't function on here sans smilies…..HELP @TheBigYin

Last edited:
It'll be tulips that you push up Bri, you have too much class for daisies………………….., but not for some time yet! ;)

Welcome back..anything exciting happened erm like got married? :eek:

A warning has been given for kidnapping the forum smilies.
Albiet I have only just returned, I already need help ( yes I know I need THAT kind of help! LOL)
I can't find any smilies on my forum page…..where are they??
I can't function on here sans smilies…..HELP @TheBigYin

Here they are:

:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::dummy::oops: :$:police::popcorn::rolleyes:o_O:agree::banana::beer::canon::nikon::cobra::fuji::olympus::sony::pentax::clap::pint::film::coat::film::exit::geek::help::hug::naughty::notworthy::plus1::runaway::jaffa::sulk::ty::thinking::tumbleweed::wave::welcome::withstupid::woot::jaffano::bat::cautious::coffee::giggle::LOL::ROFLMAO::sleep::sneaky:(n)(y):whistle::puke::love::angelic::asshat::banghead::crying::chicken::coldfeet::cow::eggface::facepalm::grumpy::hungover::jawdrop::jimlad::kiss::lock::mooning::muted: :muted::pics::pompous::punch::shifty::snaphappy::sorry::spam::troll::wacky::wideyed::marcel:

As you can see, I've got them all, and I'm holding them to ransom until you send me a top quality bottle of red wine and promise not to beggar off again for months at a time! ;)

Welcome back..anything exciting happened erm like got married? :eek:

Married? MARRIED??? Oh good grief NO!

It took more than once for me to learn that aint for me Brian…...I think any marriage would be to LUCY…….Luscious Lucy the Leica! LOL

Nothing exciting to tell ya Bri…...moved home, adopted another cat, sold lots of camera gear and retuned to TP!

Smileys etc are in the row of icons at the top of the text box for replies... no 8 from the right on mine. Welcom back, @Asha

Smileys etc are in the row of icons at the top of the text box for replies... no 8 from the right on mine. Welcom back, @Asha

Thanks for the welcome Chris and the help .
I cannot however locate any icons…..As I type this in the text box for replies, all that is visible in the box is your quote and my reply.
Underneath the box are options for reply to thread, upload a file, preview, watch this thread and receieve email notifications.

Nothing above the box except the forum options…...I don't think I'm doing anything different to what I always did before.!

I'd post a screenshot if i knew how to lol

Blithering idiot...... You go away, do stuff and then come back in 'ere with your daft questions and your mithering and expect normal, sensible folk to answer them, well young man that's not going to happen. :jawdrop:

Actually, welcome home mate. :wave::welcome::D

Aaah, bonjour!

I left for a while, sold a load of gear and am considering adopting another cat.

Welcome back Asha.

Blithering idiot...... You go away, do stuff and then come back in 'ere with your daft questions and your mithering and expect normal, sensible folk to answer them, well young man that's not going to happen. :jawdrop:

Actually, welcome home mate. :wave::welcome::D

Could that be "OFFICIAL Blithering idiot" by any chance?…...I feel the need to be titled :D:D

Last edited:
Definitely a sweet little kitten, that's better than looking at a load of old camera kit any day!

We definitely need to get back on topic, so this will be last word on the subject here.

Thanks Mr. B, I'll pay them a visit.

I'll be looking for a kitten or young cat.

Must be male and his name will be George or Georgie.

Full name, Georgie Porgie, Puddin' and Pie.

I know...

I know...

Back