OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Hah I was referring more to the lure of the red dot than to the price of film. The Leicaflex SLR's are certainly tempting and a lot more affordable than the M's. My last SLR purchase was a toss up between the Leicaflex SL or the Nikon F2. I bought the F2 but I can't help but wonder what I've missed out on.

I meant as in film cameras sorry for the confusion.. there is always the next big thing round the corner :) i have been watching analogue insights on you tube. i swear the guys voice is sending me subliminal messages buy me buy me its almost hypnotic.

I meant as in film cameras sorry for the confusion.. there is always the next big thing round the corner :) i have been watching analogue insights on you tube. i swear the guys voice is sending me subliminal messages buy me buy me its almost hypnotic.
It's a slippery slope. I watch his vids also. After his Contax RTS review and having seen a few review posts on various blogs I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need an RTS ii (almost all of my cameras are fully manual and I have the urge for something a little more convenient).

There's a 35mm frame, and if you take it out, the hole left over is medium format size... is that what you mean?

Yep, not 100% clear but will keep an eye out for the possible "something is missing" thread when you've had a faff..:)

My bag of junk is in the van, it would have gone in a skip today but I wasn't early enough...lol

Yep, not 100% clear but will keep an eye out for the possible "something is missing" thread when you've had a faff..:)
Haha - well before I took it away, I tested the light worked, moved the various bits up and down... hopefully it's simple enough that everything will be intact! Next month I'll need to get trays, a safe light, a timer and an easel... and chems!

Well see if you can mount and project on the baseboard a 35 and 120 neg, if you've done that you're good to go

IMG_1330.JPG

Leica CL with Voigtlander 35/1.4

I’ve always had a bit of an itch for a CL, even though I don’t shoot a lot of 35mm nor rangefinders!

Instead of buying one, I’ve borrowed this off a friend of mine to see what I think. I’ve put the roll of Kosmo in to give it a run out and, to be honest, on my first try tonight I’m glad I haven’t invested in my own because I’m not blown away by it. Although, as a piece of engineering, it’s reassuringly solid and the rangefinder is definitely better contrast than my 35RC.

I’ll see how I feel once I’ve shot the roll.

View attachment 132330

Leica CL with Voigtlander 35/1.4

I’ve always had a bit of an itch for a CL, even though I don’t shoot a lot of 35mm nor rangefinders!

Instead of buying one, I’ve borrowed this off a friend of mine to see what I think. I’ve put the roll of Kosmo in to give it a run out and, to be honest, on my first try tonight I’m glad I haven’t invested in my own because I’m not blown away by it. Although, as a piece of engineering, it’s reassuringly solid and the rangefinder is definitely better contrast than my 35RC.

I’ll see how I feel once I’ve shot the roll.

I quite enjoyed mine but I got frustrated by the "meter on a stick" which sometimes needed a bit of nudging to get operational. Useful to have a meter though; it reminded me to take the lens cap off! By all accounts, the rangefinder base is too short to focus accurately at f/1.4; I had the Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2 lens though and focusing was just fine. In the end I bought a Bessa R3A and was happier with that. But with the two of them, I took some of my favourite images.

I quite enjoyed mine but I got frustrated by the "meter on a stick" which sometimes needed a bit of nudging to get operational. Useful to have a meter though; it reminded me to take the lens cap off! By all accounts, the rangefinder base is too short to focus accurately at f/1.4; I had the Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2 lens though and focusing was just fine. In the end I bought a Bessa R3A and was happier with that. But with the two of them, I took some of my favourite images.

Yeah, I was caught out a couple of times last night trying to figure out why the meter wasn't responding when I pulled out the wind lever, then I remembered that I hadn't wound on! I'll keep shooting this roll though and see how I feel at the end of it. Trying a new camera is always a fun challenge, especially when most of my subjects don't stand still!

IMG_0542.JPG IMG_0542.JPG
My new film camera arrived today the very handsome Rollei 35, looking forward to running some tri-x400 through it at the weekend.

fwMcjGR.jpg

XpIAm6a.jpg

I have a little Rollie but in chrome/silver black finish I think it is the poor mans version :( but a lovely little pocketable camera non the less it's the Rollie B35 with CZ Triotar 40mm f3.5 lens has a selenium cell meter

Last edited:
IMG_0545.JPG This was the last compact I added to my collection I had the original one stolen out of my car from work back in the 1980s scum bags.

Totally blaming @Andysnap for this.

Going to need a bigger shelf...
by Ian, on Flickr

After getting the Rollei off him, getting a couple of rolls through it, scanning the results and scrutinising, I decided I needed to go just one centimeter more!
Picked this up off eBay in extremely tidy condition.
I had one of these back in the mid 90s with various backs wlf and prism finder Vivtar converter used to shoot weddings with it mounted on a uniloc 2300 set of scaffolding legs :(:eek: I did a part ex with a chap in Liverpool for his Eos 5 and a couple of Canon efs lens sold the EOS 5 shortly after with the ef28-105mm I didn't really like the eye focus plus with grip fitted it was a lot larger than my wonderful eos RT

Last edited:
Snip:
I didn't really like the eye focus
If it works for you (some people seemed to struggle with it), then I think Canon's eye controlled focus was one of the best inventions in camera 'gadget' history. You just look where you want to focus, press the shutter button half way, achieve focus with the AF point you are looking at and shoot.

It's so handy compared to normal auto focus, which can easily lock onto the wrong point, or faffing about using a joystick or buttons to navigate to the right AF point, or using the centre point and holding the shutter button half way and recomposing the shot. Instead, just look at the AF point you want, achieve focus and shoot.. it's so quick and easy. I really wish Canon would bring it back as an option on their top range DSLRs, I'd much rather have ECF than something like GPS.

Last edited:
Snip:
If it works for you (some people seemed to struggle with it), then I think Canon's eye controlled focus was one of the best inventions in camera 'gadget' history. You just look where you want to focus, press the shutter button half way, achieve focus with the AF point you are looking at and shoot.

It's so handy compared to normal auto focus, which can easily lock onto the wrong point, or faffing about using a joystick or buttons to navigate to the right AF point, or using the centre point and holding the shutter button half way and recomposing the shot. Instead, just look at the AF point you want, achieve focus and shoot.. it's so quick and easy. I really wish Canon would bring it back as an option on their top range DSLRs, I'd much rather have ECF than something like GPS.

I agree it was a a GR8 invention that just needed a little more refinement if memory serves me right it was also put into eos 50 E don't know if it was refined but I'm surprised it's not found it's way into Canons Digital slrs ?

I agree it was a a GR8 invention that just needed a little more refinement if memory serves me right it was also put into eos 50 E don't know if it was refined but I'm surprised it's not found it's way into Canons Digital slrs ?
Yes, I believe it was available on the EOS 50, it was also used on the EOS-3 (on 45 AF points that covered quite a wide area, which is pretty awesome to use when set up correctly) and the EOS 30 & 30v, which have 7 AF points.

Snip:

I think there were problems with people not bothering to do the calibrating and then running it down as a rubbish system. I had it on two cameras (EOS 5 and EOS 50) and it worked very well - both with my glasses on and with them off.

I think some people probably had problems continuing to look at the AF point before they pressed the shutter button, as the tracking system would follow the eye if they lost concentration and looked away at the last moment! I think this was probably more of a problem with the 45 point AF system on the EOS-3, but what a lot of owners probably didn't realise was that they could reduce the number of eye controlled AF points (to 11, if I recall correctly) in the custom functions settings, which would reduce the chance of getting the point next to the one you wanted by mistake. Alternatively, they could just switch ECF off and use the camera normally; so I could never understand what the griping was about really.

Last edited:

The original listing was 5 rolls of Fuji Astia 220, once the listing has ended Ebay display what they consider to be a similar product, in this case its 400H.
Course, 400H 120 neg film is about as far away from discontinued 220 slide as you can get, but there simply won't be anything similar for them to display.
I missed it.....darn my holiday's...:(

IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0550.JPG A new addition to my camera collection donated to me by my partners 85 year old father Thank you Geoff so very kind of you?

I also got a Rollei 35 SE arrive last week and have managed a couple of test rolls through it. Lovely 'pocketable' camera that is fun to use with the guess/'zone' focus:

Rollei 35SE
by Fraser Euan White on Talk Photography

Kodak Colorplus 200, home developed & scanned:

ScanImage29 by Fraser White, on Flickr

ScanImage49 by Fraser White, on Flickr

ScanImage35 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Ilford HP5 Home developed & scanned:

ScanImage22 by Fraser White, on Flickr

ScanImage18 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Last edited:
I also got a Rollei 35 SE arrive last week and have managed a couple of test rolls through it. Lovely 'pocketable' camera that is fun to use with the guess/'zone' focus:

Rollei 35SE
by Fraser Euan White on Talk Photography

Kodak Colorplus 200, home developed & scanned:

ScanImage29 by Fraser White, on Flickr

ScanImage49 by Fraser White, on Flickr

ScanImage35 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Ilford HP5 Home developed & scanned:

ScanImage22 by Fraser White, on Flickr

ScanImage18 by Fraser White, on Flickr
I like the picture of the bike racks Fraser!

Last edited:
To be honest, I think you've done well to find a camera shop, let alone one that sells film!

Hope you have a lovely holiday Nige, and I'll look forward to seeing the photos. (y)

Last edited:
A Demario-Lapierre Dehel folding camera. From France. I do not see French cameras very often and that is the main reason I bought this one. It is my second French camera, the first being a Lumiere Lumiereflex TLR. I particularly like the mechanical version of Sunny 16 built-in to the shutter. We have Lincoln's annual Steampunk festival this weekend and I shall use this camera to record events - I always think that people with huge digital cameras at a Steampunk 'do' look ridiculous.
P1050072.jpgP1050078.jpeg

On my travels yesterday I found a Nikon AF Nikkor 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 D for £9.99 and an Olympus XA1 for £6.99. Luckily I had my N80 with me, and spare film for the XA1. The XA1 feels lighter to carry in a jacket pocket maybe because it needs no batteries and it does look like it's been well used.

I also bought a few compact cameras from a car boot and a charity shop, an Olympus Superzoom 700XB, a Canon Sureshot Sleek SAF, a Ricoh AF-5, Minolta Riva Zoom 160, a Canon Sureshot and a Samsung AF Zoom 1050. All cost £2-£2.50 apart from the Sureshot sleek which was £4.00. From the top the shape reminds me of the Mju II though it predates it.

Any thoughts on these compacts?IMG_20180826_090030.jpegIMG_20180826_090331.jpegIMG_20180826_092703.jpegIMG_20180826_093402.jpeg

Posh git! :p

P.S. Now that I have insulted you - how do you calibrate it?

If it is like one I have - turn to infinity ∞ - look at something a long way away (like a cow that looks small) then turn the little knurled wheel in the centre of the large knurled wheel until you get images to co-incide. Is best to check this before each use as that centre thing has a nasty habit of getting turned accidentally, as I've found to my cost.

Last edited:
Posh git! :p

P.S. Now that I have insulted you - how do you calibrate it?
Not telling you! :p First off find an object about 20 to 30 feet away that's easy to focus the rangefinder on, then get a tape measure and see how far away it is from where you're sitting. Then check the distance with the rangefinder, doing it three of four times just to make sure it's not a 'one off'. Then see if it agrees with the tape measure. If it does, try it on a closer object, and a more distant one and see if it's right on those too. If so (fingers crossed) then you don't need to calibrate it! Don't expect it to be spot on as unless you set it up on a tripod to ensure it doesn't move an inch, because with a bit of rocking back and to in your seat you'll have probably covered 6 inches or so there.

If it's significantly inaccurate then come back and tell us so we can all have a bloody good laugh at you... I mean suggest how to recalibrate it! (y)

Last edited:
If it is like one I have - turn to infinity ∞ - look at something a long way away (like a cow that looks small) then turn the little knurled wheel in the centre of the large knurled wheel until you get images to co-incide. Is best to check this before each use as that centre thing has a nasty habit of getting turned accidentally, as I've foiund to my cost.
If it's like the one I have, the little centre wheel is nipped up tight against the large rangefinding wheel and doesn't want to move independently. Luckily mine was still in calibration so I've left it well alone! :)

Last edited:
Back