OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I'm gonna stick some old flash bulbs over in the Freebies section. I think some of the ones in the topflash 10 are still okay and the two photoflux RF1B's also look okay but to be honest I don't know. Anyway, they will be over there shortly.

Two more lenses today - a 210mm G Claron and a 16 1/2" Red Dot Artar.

We bought this for our Daughter some years ago but she hasn't really used it much, too busy and she can't justify the cost of film and processing so I have borrowed it for a while to give it some exercise. I'll most likely only use B&W in it so I thought the B&W shot was apt.

Yashica Mat 01-1010047 PS Adj BW.jpg

Last edited:
'sup people, long time, no? Just scored this little piece of wonderfulness that I will now have to learn how to use. Doubt it's anything like the 1/4 frame :eek:

View attachment 320375

Now then, after some digging in the bit box, some judicious local dealing and some messing in the workshop, we are ready to fire up this beastie.

IMG_20210615_161158.jpg

So that's a linked rangefinder, flash body, finder, hand strap, lens board holder "converted" to tilt as well as the standard shift and rise/fall, remote shutter cable with timed clockwork release, UV filter, rear popup sport finder (still looking for the front wireframe bit - I have a 4x3-1/4 one if anyone wants to trade)

Damn but that film is pricey :eek:

Now then, after some digging in the bit box, some judicious local dealing and some messing in the workshop, we are ready to fire up this beastie.

View attachment 321434

So that's a linked rangefinder, flash body, finder, hand strap, lens board holder "converted" to tilt as well as the standard shift and rise/fall, remote shutter cable with timed clockwork release, UV filter, rear popup sport finder (still looking for the front wireframe bit - I have a 4x3-1/4 one if anyone wants to trade)

Damn but that film is pricey :eek:

Arthur, you're set up and ready for Norwich Street Portraits!

Extended my Nikon collection with a 1980ish Nikon EM. This is my sixth Nikon - F2, Nikkormat FTn, Nikkormat EL, F301, F601 and now EM.

It works but with faults. The shutter speed needle in the viewfinder does not move, the battery check button does not work and the AI ring around the lens no longer returns to its rest position when the aperture is set at its maximum. I know tge exposure system works by listening to the shutter with the camera pointing to various parts of the room. The test film will tell me how well the AE system works but it does work to some extent.

The first two faults are inconvenient but do not affect using the camera to take photographs. The AI ring is a bigger problem as this camera only has automatic exposure and the camera cannot read the set aperture without a lot of fiddling about. I am hoping that this is just a detached spring and easy to fix. A broken spring will be beyond my skills to fix.

The camera also came with a Kiron 70-150 f/3.8 lens which has a good reputation. Again, my test film will tell how good a lens it is. The lens had a daylight filter on it when I got the camera which has a lot of fungus on it. Having removed this filter, there is no trace of fungusView attachment 322365View attachment 32236516246584336583716024626238846550.jpg

Last edited:
Extended my Nikon collection with a 1980ish Nikon EM. This is my sixth Nikon - F2, Nikkormat FTn, Nikkormat EL, F301, F601 and now EM.

It works but with faults. The shutter speed needle in the viewfinder does not move, the battery check button does not work and the AI ring around the lens no longer returns to its rest position when the aperture is set at its maximum. I know tge exposure system works by listening to the shutter with the camera pointing to various parts of the room. The test film will tell me how well the AE system works but it does work to some extent.

The first two faults are inconvenient but do not affect using the camera to take photographs. The AI ring is a bigger problem as this camera only has automatic exposure and the camera cannot read the set aperture without a lot of fiddling about. I am hoping that this is just a detached spring and easy to fix. A broken spring will be beyond my skills to fix.

The camera also came with a Kiron 70-150 f/3.8 lens which has a good reputation. Again, my test film will tell how good a lens it is. The lens had a daylight filter on it when I got the camera which has a lot of fungus on it. Having removed this filter, there is no trace of fungus

I was chasing one - the EM was the first Nikon I owned way back in the early '80's. Was turned in the end by a tidy F301 that caught my eye last week. Got a nice 500mm mirror lens with it too :D

The 50mm 1.4 I already had, bought on here years ago for £20 :D

(wow! https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikkor-50mm-f-1-4-cheap.524157/#post-6027877 )

IMG_20210622_120737.jpg

Here's what the lens can do ;)

P1010146.JPG

Last edited:
I was chasing one - the EM was the first Nikon I owned way back in the early '80's. Was turned in the end by a tidy F301 that caught my eye last week. Got a nice 500mm mirror lens with it too :D

The 50mm 1.4 I already had, bought on here years ago for £20 :D

(wow! https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikkor-50mm-f-1-4-cheap.524157/#post-6027877 )

View attachment 322368

Here's what the lens can do ;)

View attachment 322369
The F301 is quite a nice camera for a rather modern film camera - modern for my tastes, that is. I think my F301 is my newest film camera.

Not too exciting but a little comical if nothing else. I was after a flash for my Contax; there are 2 available that match the camera, a TLA140 and TLA200, both of which go for quite a lot of money and don't feature an awful lot. I don't see myself using a flash all that often, but would be handy to have something available just in case. So I started searching and found out that the TLA flashguns from SLRs from the same era work correctly with the G series, a quick eBay search had me stumble upon this TLA280 which I won for the opening bid, around 10% of the cost of a TLA200. It arrived in pristine condition so I'm really happy with it, albeit it does turn the camera a little top heavy but it's not as bad as the photograph makes it look :D

It also features something I've never seen before, the main flash bulb at the top that you can swing up to bounce but also zoom; and in addition to that is a second bulb that you can turn on and off to fill shadows etc even if the main bulb is bouncing off the ceiling :D

Contax G1 and TLA280 by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Last edited:
A proper toy! Wanted one since I was a kid. Now I have it! Just goes to show that if you work hard, and save your pennies, you can afford to buy the nice things you like.

IMG_1773.jpg

I have walked past this liitle gem many times over the last three or so years and always shied away from it - lens hanging off and lever arms bent and loose. Today I bit the bullet, grabbed it, and spent a few hours faffing. Looking good now, so very few Konishiroku cameras (this is a baby pearl) around that it was crying out to be saved. Last pic with my tea mug for scale... :eek:

IMG_20210702_164432.jpg

IMG_20210702_164359.jpg

IMG_20210702_164413.jpg

IMG_20210702_164833.jpg

IMG_20210702_164931.jpg

Also bagged a tidy F5 135,, f2.8 with M42 thread at the same time so a good day :D

IMG_20210702_165041.jpg

IMG_20210702_165027.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20210702_200307.jpg

Latest victim for the Disposable Camera Challenge, which you still have time to join. £1 at charity shop for 12 exposures and it is only 10 years expired. Thinking next year to widen the allowed cameras to include self reloaded ones and any other fixed focus, fixed exposure cameras, being eco-friendly and also supporting the use of new film.

I have a Rollei point and shoot - Rollei prego 125, but actually made by Samsung in china. I am halfway through my test film and so far I rather like it.

_1020499.jpeg_1020500.jpeg

I have walked past this liitle gem many times over the last three or so years and always shied away from it - lens hanging off and lever arms bent and loose. Today I bit the bullet, grabbed it, and spent a few hours faffing. Looking good now, so very few Konishiroku cameras (this is a baby pearl) around that it was crying out to be saved. Last pic with my tea mug for scale... :eek:

View attachment 322989

View attachment 322991

View attachment 322990

View attachment 322988

View attachment 322987
That looks almost exactly like my 1937 Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515.

So it didn't take too long before I ended up with the 28mm for my Contax :) I'd been keeping an eye on the market for them and 2 things became apparent, 1: They don't come up for sale that often on their own especially outside of Japan on eBay and 2: When they do come up for sale they aren't particularly cheap. There is one supplier called Sendean that have a couple at an eye watering £700 each so needless to say I was fortunate to keep an eye out and get one at a fraction of that cost.

I've owned this lens before first time round I had a G1 and it was superb so I'm looking forward to getting out with it again. The funny thing is that the first time round I had the 28mm and lusted after the 45, this time round I had the 45 and just wanted something wider :thinking: There are 2 wider lenses available a rare 16mm fisheye and a very highly rated 21mm but the 28 seemed to be a nice compromise between wanting something a little wider for landscape shots but also my true love street :) I daresay i'll probably end up with a 90mm too to complete a wide/normal/tele setup, they also get highly rated but seem to be available in abundance and good prices too, or at least they will be until I decide to buy one!

Contax G1 with 28mm Biogon by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'll be interested to see the results you create David (as well as what the actual camera looks like when built). :)
A bit of bellows vignette (may need a little surgery and origami if want to get to 3x4") 15 second exposure, hence the blurry sunflowers on the supplied Ilford MG IV postcard sized paper. Dev'd in MG developer, scanned on basic Canon All in 1.

bc_2021-07-13-0001
by D M Bloor, on Flickr

I have picked up a rollei B35. Its so ridiculously dinky.

Its got some crud behind the front element so I've sent an email off to some guys to see what it'd cost to get the lens dismantled and cleaned etc, but everything else seems to work fine, shutter speeds are bob on.

Following my small success in getting workable images from my rangefinders from the 50's and 60's, I hankered after the version of a Baldamatic RF that has the big VF glass.
They are not so common and when found are likely to have sticky shutters. I did see this scale focus version and had to buy it (it was cheap).
Not long ago I would have thought that these lumps were ugly, now I love em..
This one worked well with film... the three element lens is surprisingly good at mid range apertures.

Baldamatic.jpg

Last edited:
Not too exciting but a little comical if nothing else. I was after a flash for my Contax; there are 2 available that match the camera, a TLA140 and TLA200, both of which go for quite a lot of money and don't feature an awful lot. I don't see myself using a flash all that often, but would be handy to have something available just in case. So I started searching and found out that the TLA flashguns from SLRs from the same era work correctly with the G series, a quick eBay search had me stumble upon this TLA280 which I won for the opening bid, around 10% of the cost of a TLA200. It arrived in pristine condition so I'm really happy with it, albeit it does turn the camera a little top heavy but it's not as bad as the photograph makes it look :D

It also features something I've never seen before, the main flash bulb at the top that you can swing up to bounce but also zoom; and in addition to that is a second bulb that you can turn on and off to fill shadows etc even if the main bulb is bouncing off the ceiling :D

Contax G1 and TLA280 by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Its no good, I've tried to block it out but it keeps punching me in the nose, bit like velvia blues.
Somehow, despite previously owning a G1, I acquired a flash from somewhere completely unrelated and never put them together.
I planned on maybe using it on my 6 but so far I've used it #0 times in 10 years and tbh, never will.
Champagne + Black is a punch on the nose.
I moved house recently so my junk is scattered across unopened packing boxes, but I know for certain I have one.
Google say's its a 140, if you're interested I'll try root it out and you can have it for postage
I'm doing this for the mental well being of the entire F&C community, it would be nice to see a neat tidy matching combo even if it is less powerful than the Portland Bill you're using currently.
If you don't want it I'm going to get Brian to post multiple nonsense till the page turns.

Its no good, I've tried to block it out but it keeps punching me in the nose, bit like velvia blues.
Somehow, despite previously owning a G1, I acquired a flash from somewhere completely unrelated and never put them together.
I planned on maybe using it on my 6 but so far I've used it #0 times in 10 years and tbh, never will.
Champagne + Black is a punch on the nose.
I moved house recently so my junk is scattered across unopened packing boxes, but I know for certain I have one.
Google say's its a 140, if you're interested I'll try root it out and you can have it for postage
I'm doing this for the mental well being of the entire F&C community, it would be nice to see a neat tidy matching combo even if it is less powerful than the Portland Bill you're using currently.
If you don't want it I'm going to get Brian to post multiple nonsense till the page turns.

:LOL: I had no idea it was causing such upset, perhaps I should remove the image! That certainly is a kind gesture and one I would certainly be interested in, and if it’s going to realign the feng shui of the forum I feel it may be a moral duty for me to accept. I am more than happy to pay some money for it though, the 140s are worth a little money after all and I would hate for you to be out of pocket :D

I won't be out of pocket, it came in a miscellaneous bundle that I can't even remember years ago and I haven't paid it much mind at all, it always struck me as being a cheap maker flash branded contax for cudos.
Its not my colour, it will never be used, it does work and its in tidy condition, I'd rather give it away than leave it to get battered and ignored in my junk box.
It is also, not found yet, I've done my easy access boxes so its looking like its in the dreaded loft.. :confused:
I'll do my best...

for the good of the forum...:LOL:

I won't be out of pocket, it came in a miscellaneous bundle that I can't even remember years ago and I haven't paid it much mind at all, it always struck me as being a cheap maker flash branded contax for cudos.
Its not my colour, it will never be used, it does work and its in tidy condition, I'd rather give it away than leave it to get battered and ignored in my junk box.
It is also, not found yet, I've done my easy access boxes so its looking like its in the dreaded loft.. :confused:
I'll do my best...

for the good of the forum...:LOL:

Well that’s a very kind gesture and I accept as long as you’re sure. If you change your mind for whatever reason there’ll be no hard feelings from this end :) I’ll be sure to pass the kindness on if I see the opportunity in the future! :D

It's the one 35mm camera I lust after (other than another f100). One day.....

It's the one 35mm camera I lust after (other than another f100). One day.....
In truth I wanted and R9 but they are hard to find in Mint condition plus very expensive.
I've never owned a Leica before and getting to grips with "Leica Speak" is proving to be taxing.

Back