OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I have a feeling Leica lens quality is more "Urban Myth" than reality.
I had a Leica R5 with 35-70 for a while and I sort of agree that "Leica lens quality" is slightly overhyped the images I got from it, especially Kodak slide film certainly had another feel and look to them, it just seems to render the image in a different way to Japanese lens. Your milage may vary.

#goes off looking for another Leica R5 :D

I have two lenses, the 90mm f2 and the 35-70 f4.
I'm half way through my first roll of velvia 50 using the 90mm.

Only time will tell, but I have high expectations for the 90mm. I'm not expecting to be astonished by the zoom.

I have two lenses, the 90mm f2 and the 35-70 f4.
I'm half way through my first roll of velvia 50 using the 90mm.

Only time will tell, but I have high expectations for the 90mm. I'm not expecting to be astonished by the zoom.
I wouldn't judge Leica lenses based on results from those Minolta designed wide angle zooms.

I wouldn't judge Leica lenses based on results from those Minolta designed wide angle zooms.
The copy of the zoom I have was made by Kyocera so, as you rightly say, not really Leica.
I bought it because it has a reasonable zoom range and has macro(ish) capabilities. Generally a good walkaround combo.

The copy of the zoom I have was made by Kyocera so, as you rightly say, not really Leica.
I bought it because it has a reasonable zoom range and has macro(ish) capabilities. Generally a good walkaround combo.
I think there were two versions of the 35-70mm R lens, one is well regarded I seem to remember.

I had 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f2 and 90mm f2 with the R4, R6 and R7. Lovely kit.

Still have a Leicaflex SL and the 28mm f2.8..

There appear to be 3 versions of the 90 f2 although most of the internet says there were 2.
My version is physically the same as the eye wateringly expensive APO but has the same optical design as the first iteration.

I paid waaaay! too much for my 90mm but it was the only mint boxed one I could find.

Just won a Russian Horizont on eBay and already excited to try it out! It's basically a soviet made Panon Widelux so I can assume built like a tank but still works intermittently and for best results, clean it with chilled Vodka!

Just won a Russian Horizont on eBay and already excited to try it out! It's basically a soviet made Panon Widelux so I can assume built like a tank but still works intermittently and for best results, clean it with chilled Vodka!
I've never seen or heard of one of those.
Will you be putting a picture up of it?

I've never seen or heard of one of those.
Will you be putting a picture up of it?
Sorry! Here is a picture, I'll post more when its arrived and probably immediately waist a few rolls of film when it does too! It's the nearest to the xpan in terms of exposure size. I believe you get 14 exposures from a 24exp film.
2184012180_c625f0f542.jpg

Is that one with a moving slit - used for groups, where you can start at one end, run round the back and appear at the other? :)
I hadn't thought about that, but I guess if you're fast enough you could!:D It's a panoramic 35mm camera. Some only crop the top and the bottom of the exposure off giving a typical frame the look of a panorama but this gives a 120 degree view with fixed focal lengths.
I think these give a great undistorted wide angle image.
kmz_horizont_02-1.jpg

There appear to be 3 versions of the 90 f2 although most of the internet says there were 2.
My version is physically the same as the eye wateringly expensive APO but has the same optical design as the first iteration.

I paid waaaay! too much for my 90mm but it was the only mint boxed one I could find.
From 1969 til 2014 I shot Leicaflex SL and SL2 and owned most 2 cam lenses from 21 f/4.0 to 560 f/6.8. I had the original 90 f/2.8 and, while at one time or other I had the use of most R lenses, I don't believe I ever used the 90 f/2.0. The Leica Compendium only lists 2 versions - 1969 and 1987 - and says the optical design was unchanged.
I remember using the 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 (Sigma) and 35-70 f/3.5 (Minolta,) and was not impressed with either. I did own a 75-200 f/4.5 zoom, though, and thought the optical quality was quite good, considering,

Last edited:
I finally realised resistance was futile so just bought a Nikon F6 in mint cond from the "Bay".
It's coming from Japan via Fed Ex so hopefully I'll not have to pay any import duty. (I've bought a few items from Japan and only had to pay it once and that was DHL).
I probably won't receive it until a week or two though.

From 1969 til 2014 I shot Leicaflex SL and SL2 and owned most 2 cam lenses from 21 f/4.0 to 560 f/6.8. I had the original 90 f/2.8 and, while at one time or other I had the use of most R lenses, I don't believe I ever used the 90 f/2.0. The Leica Compendium only lists 2 versions - 1969 and 1987 - and says the optical design was unchanged.
I remember using the 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 (Sigma) and 35-70 f/3.5 (Minolta,) and was not impressed with either. I did own a 75-200 f/4.5 zoom, though, and thought the optical quality was quite good, considering,

There are two version of the non APO 90 F2.0 plus the APO itself.
The copy I have has a one piece built in lens hood which is found on the APO version.

Perhaps the APO version is not considered to be the same lens.

There are two version of the non APO 90 F2.0 plus the APO itself.
The copy I have has a one piece built in lens hood which is found on the APO version.

Perhaps the APO version is not considered to be the same lens.
The APO certainly will outperform the others. I wonder how the 85 f/1.4 Zeiss Otus compares?

It arrived! Have to say I’m impressed with the Soviet build quality!

An unusual way to load film but not difficult. Have a business trip to Rhodes next week and I think I’ll be taking it out for a spin!

Attachments

• E94E1D92-068D-44F5-ADBC-4861F8DD4EB1.jpeg
    E94E1D92-068D-44F5-ADBC-4861F8DD4EB1.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 9
  • ADD24B0E-CAEA-4972-A597-A3AA19733796.jpeg
    ADD24B0E-CAEA-4972-A597-A3AA19733796.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 9
I have enjoyed using my Horizon 202 which I believe is more or less the same camera in a more plasticky, svelt body. If I could I would try to get hold of a good working Widelux, but funds won't run to it!

Anyhow, forget the Widelux lust.

A Zenit B built in 1972, Identical to my first SLR and in excellent, almost unused condition, with the f2 Helios lens, bought from WYC. My original camera developed a tapering shutter fault and I replaced it with a Rolleiflex SL35. If anything, the Rollei was less reliable. Then I bought a Yashica FR1 which lasted many years. Anyway, this is the camera which really fired up my interest in photography after years of suffering the Halina 35X experience, although I still have all the Halina 35X negatives which I developed myself when I was a schoolboy.

IMG_0369 copy.jpg

An unusual preset lens of, more or less, unknown origin. 100mm/f4. It has a very sticky diaphragm but that doesn't matter because it is a preset lens, M42 m0unt.

IMG_0372 copy.jpg

My Nikon F6 finally arrived from Japan yesterday, it's in excellent condition and full working order although haven't put a film in yet as testing all the functions etc.

The only issue is the selector wheel for shooting Single, Cont Low, Cont Hi etc wouldn't move at all even when pressing the release button. I was testing the other camera functions and not aware of doing anything specifically but the wheel now moves without pushing the release button but it doesn't "lock" into place so freely rotates. All the functions on it work fine so the only issue is that it's no longer locked in place.
I'm sort of torn what to do as the camera works fine and this isn't a big issue for me as I almost always shoot in single shot mode but it's annoying it's like this. I will contact the seller and see what he comes back with. If he offers some money back to compensate I'll consider that, the site did say free returns but I think it would be a hassle sending it back to Japan and even If I get a refund the exchange rate way work against me, also I had to pay Customs and Excise (£130) so I'm not sure if the camera is returned faulty if I'm able to claim that back.

Oh the joys.

Reunited with my F1 after a minor repair. Not yet had a chance to use it but it’s packed ready for a flight to Rhodes tomorrow. View attachment 329360
Love that camera, had 3 back in the day kept 1 of them for posterity but rarely use it just put a blind roll through at least once a month.

Love that camera, had 3 back in the day kept 1 of them for posterity but rarely use it just put a blind roll through at least once a month.

As soon as the Photography bug gripped me and GAS took over, I had to buy one along with an FM3 (which I sold straight away). The F1, although a tank, is just a joy to hold. Unless all of my shots come back useless, then I'll be cursing it for my own failures. We'll see.

Six copies of the British journal Photographic Almanac from various years. I have been going through them to see what they said about my camera collection when those cameras were flam new and how much they cost.

My Nikon F6 finally arrived from Japan yesterday, it's in excellent condition and full working order although haven't put a film in yet as testing all the functions etc.

The only issue is the selector wheel for shooting Single, Cont Low, Cont Hi etc wouldn't move at all even when pressing the release button. I was testing the other camera functions and not aware of doing anything specifically but the wheel now moves without pushing the release button but it doesn't "lock" into place so freely rotates. All the functions on it work fine so the only issue is that it's no longer locked in place.
I'm sort of torn what to do as the camera works fine and this isn't a big issue for me as I almost always shoot in single shot mode but it's annoying it's like this. I will contact the seller and see what he comes back with. If he offers some money back to compensate I'll consider that, the site did say free returns but I think it would be a hassle sending it back to Japan and even If I get a refund the exchange rate way work against me, also I had to pay Customs and Excise (£130) so I'm not sure if the camera is returned faulty if I'm able to claim that back.

Oh the joys.
Update,
The seller refunded US$90 so I was happy with that, I've been using the camera with a film in and it works fine although I haven't finished the first roll of film yet.

A long time since I've bought a new camera, or posted in this thread. But I had to buy this as soon as I saw it - excuse the camera phone photo:

20211007_161322_edit_2000px.jpg

It's a handsome camera in black, and with the clean plain unmetered prism rather than the bulky Photomic prisms. It will probably join the rest of my underused, unloved cameras.

I've just bought a Nikon 14mm 2.8D prime lens for my Nikon D780 and F4 and F6.
I didn't realise there was a 14mm lens like that until recently so when I saw one I had to have it, I love 14-16mm lens range.
Should be arriving tomorrow.
It arrived today, I've not had a chance to have a proper play with it yet but it's a lovely lens, very well made and solid, bigger than I expected but not too big.
I'll take it out after work and see how it performs.

This Canon Dial 35 half-frame arrived yesterday, after a clean up and making a battery adaptor to take a 1.3V hearing aid battery decided to test out with flash today as dull outside. First flash that came to hand is perhaps a bit overkill (Sunpak 5000 Zoom)

IMG_20211017_083956_crop_26.jpg

Canon FX. Old camera prices are getting silly recently so I was quite pleased to find this at a price I could afford. The reason for the price is that the camera has been stored for a very long time in a very damp environment. The aluminium body has significant corrosion and the shutter curtains have a lot of mildew on them - so nearly mint.

It has the FL lens mount and I only have FD lenses so I am not getting full functionality. Despite the storage, all seems to work perfectly.

16346714093918832114409542039170.jpg
16346716735907402744469312923881.jpg

Last edited:
That's the left hand grip at the right of the picture. Only trouble is that it obscures the exposure compensation scale when it is fitted under the camera.

Last edited:
Not a new toy, strictly speaking, but the return of an old favourite. :D

51642426949_75ec622e5f_c.jpg

This is the Yashica Electro 35 GX that I bought back in 2011. After a few years and with a burgeoning collection combined with no time to use them, I decided to sell. Suz ( @srichards ) bought it and I thought I'd move on to using my Canon P when I needed a rangefinder fix.

Fast forward and it turned out that this is one camera I really missed. Even after I lost my photo-mojo, I regretted not having this little thing. I'd put in a lot of research before buying as I was looking specifically for a rangefinder with aperture priority, something of a rarity back in the day. The Yashica gives cracking images despite my fat fingers and it's small, light and robust enough to pop in a bag and forget until needed.

A couple of weeks ago I contacted Suz and asked if she still had the camera and whether she'd be interested in selling it back. I think you can see how the story ends. ;)

Suz generously included a roll of film too, a Washi ISO500 I've never used before. Thanks again, Suz!

Last edited:
Well that’s a very kind gesture and I accept as long as you’re sure. If you change your mind for whatever reason there’ll be no hard feelings from this end :) I’ll be sure to pass the kindness on if I see the opportunity in the future! :D
So I was forced in to the loft to locate a dozen or so rolls of slide that need processing.......didn't find em..:grumpy::crying:
But I did find the flash, its not the near perfect condition I remember but it still gets a decent 7.9 out of 10 which aint bad for something that's been rattling about in my junk box for years.
It is working, so if you're still interested my offer still stands.:)

Attachments

• PXL_20211031_130131052.jpg
    PXL_20211031_130131052.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20211031_130144842.jpg
    PXL_20211031_130144842.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20211031_130226848.jpg
    PXL_20211031_130226848.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20211031_130238604.jpg
    PXL_20211031_130238604.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 6
Not a new toy, strictly speaking, but the return of an old favourite. :D

51642426949_75ec622e5f_c.jpg

This is the Yashica Electro 35 GX that I bought back in 2011. After a few years and with a burgeoning collection combined with no time to use them, I decided to sell. Suz ( @srichards ) bought it and I thought I'd move on to using my Canon P when I needed a rangefinder fix.

Fast forward and it turned out that this is one camera I really missed. Even after I lost my photo-mojo, I regretted not having this little thing. I'd put in a lot of research before buying as I was looking specifically for a rangefinder with aperture priority, something of a rarity back in the day. The Yashica gives cracking images despite my fat fingers and it's small, light and robust enough to pop in a bag and forget until needed.

A couple of weeks ago I contacted Suz and asked if she still had the camera and whether she'd be interested in selling it back. I think you can see how the story ends. ;)

Suz generously included a roll of film too, a Washi ISO500 I've never used before. Thanks again, Suz!
I had a GX which was a wonderful camera but I always felt it was so fantastic that I didn't dare using it very much. I sold all my Yashica gear to fund some other purchases. It's a never ending story.

Back