OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Slinky....

I've just taken the plunge into MF after several years of digital. My film experience mostly amounts to playing around with disposables and the odd 35mm point and shoot as a child.

I bought a Pentax 645, 3 lenses (45, 75 and 150mm) and a 120 back for the princely sum of NZ$500 (£250). It's a lovely thing, and the shutter makes a great "clunk, whir" sound.

Now for the daunting task of figuring out which film to use in what situation and how to get the stuff scanned and printed. It's brought the fun back into my photography. :)

I've just taken the plunge into MF after several years of digital. My film experience mostly amounts to playing around with disposables and the odd 35mm point and shoot as a child.

I bought a Pentax 645, 3 lenses (45, 75 and 150mm) and a 120 back for the princely sum of NZ$500 (£250). It's a lovely thing, and the shutter makes a great "clunk, whir" sound.

Now for the daunting task of figuring out which film to use in what situation and how to get the stuff scanned and printed. It's brought the fun back into my photography. :)

Excellent, welcome to the dark side Matt, MF gives you a whole new experience in terms of film photography.

There's lots of film still out there and you'll get as many recommendations from the folks on here as there are film types.

Good to see another Robert Rankin fan on the forum as well (y)

Excellent, welcome to the dark side Matt, MF gives you a whole new experience in terms of film photography.

There's lots of film still out there and you'll get as many recommendations from the folks on here as there are film types.

Good to see another Robert Rankin fan on the forum as well (y)

(y)

Gotta love those running gags. :)

Nick - Yeah, I did a couple of google searches on 'best film' and realised I was probably best off experimenting as many types as I could find and picking my favourites.

I was given a voightlander brilliant the other week, when I got it home I noticed the shutter was a bit sticky along with hardly being able to see through the lens..so it sat on my shelf looking pretty...tonight I got the lenses apart and cleaned them, also managed to get the shutter working perfectly.
I managed to load a 120 film into it and taped the door up just in case light could get in...

So tommorrow it's a case of take some shots, and develop the to see what comes out...It was made in 1932 so I am not holding my breath.

Steve.

I was given a voightlander brilliant the other week, when I got it home I noticed the shutter was a bit sticky along with hardly being able to see through the lens..so it sat on my shelf looking pretty...tonight I got the lenses apart and cleaned them, also managed to get the shutter working perfectly.
I managed to load a 120 film into it and taped the door up just in case light could get in...

So tommorrow it's a case of take some shots, and develop the to see what comes out...It was made in 1932 so I am not holding my breath.

Steve.

I nearly got my hands on one a little while ago but missed out, cracking little cameras and a just a little quirky.

Make sure you post up the results.

I nearly got my hands on one a little while ago but missed out, cracking little cameras and a just a little quirky.

Will do Nick, I am hoping to have some tonight..fingers firmly crossed...

Well it worked, and I have just put a couple of the images from todays little exercise in the show your film shots section....

I'm sure every one goes through a phase of one of these but I got a Hawkeye no2 model B for a fiver. Got film for it but I'm missing an uptake spool, any ideas where I could get one?

hawkeye by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Needs a good clean can't make out anything on the ground glass.

And just this minute my new scanner has arrived. I got the epson v500 despite mixed reviews it's about the only one I can afford to do both mf and 35mm. I really can't afford this and a dedicated 35mm scanner.

Last edited:
So after that spate of Ful Vue purchasing - has anyone actually shot anything with theirs? My plastic lens mount has a rather large crack in it now, i fear it would let light in...

Has everybody stopped buying 'new toys' ?? And when I posted on 10th July about my new Contax N1 and lens, not one comment, such as 'gor blimey, you lucky so and so,' or, 'you must be mad to buy such a load of junk.' Anyhow, I am not bothered in the least as it is a right camera for poncing about with. !!!!

Has everybody stopped buying 'new toys' ?? And when I posted on 10th July about my new Contax N1 and lens, not one comment, such as 'gor blimey, you lucky so and so,' or, 'you must be mad to buy such a load of junk.' Anyhow, I am not bothered in the least as it is a right camera for poncing about with. !!!!

OK Fred I'll bite... what IS a Contax N1, anyway?:help:

New toys don't you just love em....

Mamiya C330.......the first image uploaded of several new toys...

7719877720_b6f87e11a2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Mmm, very nice Steve (y)

Thanks Andrew, it was in fairly good nick when I got it, but I am a bit fussy so I have done the light seals to save doing them later and taken the ground glass and focus screen out and cleaned it all... So nice to look through the finder now, nice and bright with not a speck of dust in sight.

Dont you just love even more toys.....

Another new toy, that I have just done the light seals, mirror buffer etc..

Pentax SL.. fully mechanical, well built no batteries to worry about. I have got a clip on spot meter that go's with it but I doubt I will use that very much.

Just got to do the light seals etc on a Pentax MX that we got at the same time and I am nearly there...for the moment anyway..

7740437686_c134ae07d7_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

A 120 take up spool you will need IIRC.......

I have a spare plastic one that I could let you have for nowt......no idea what the local french P.O will try and charge me to send it to you though.....If I can get it to you for a a couple of euros/quid then I'll let you know and request your address.....In the meantime someone more local to you may be able to get one to you.

Either way enjoy your new toy......I wouldn't have resisted the buy for a fiver myself even though i already have the same camera!! lol

I'm sure every one goes through a phase of one of these but I got a Hawkeye no2 model B for a fiver. Got film for it but I'm missing an uptake spool, any ideas where I could get one?

hawkeye by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Needs a good clean can't make out anything on the ground glass.

And just this minute my new scanner has arrived. I got the epson v500 despite mixed reviews it's about the only one I can afford to do both mf and 35mm. I really can't afford this and a dedicated 35mm scanner.

I've got a few 120 spools knocking about, pm me your address and I'll get one in the post to you.

Dont you just love even more toys.....

Another new toy, that I have just done the light seals, mirror buffer etc..

Pentax SL.. fully mechanical, well built no batteries to worry about. I have got a clip on spot meter that go's with it but I doubt I will use that very much.

Just got to do the light seals etc on a Pentax MX that we got at the same time and I am nearly there...for the moment anyway..

7740437686_c134ae07d7_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Looks MUCH better than when we picked it up!

Must do a pic of the K1000 too

...and I have an Agfa Isolette for you to have a look at !:D

....if you don't mind?

Heather

Pentax design from that era is actually incredible - stunning bits of both art and engineering, at a time when the competitors cameras were fiddly junk in comparison.

I've always been tempted to pick up something like the SL or Spotmatic but my head knows I wouldn't use it enough...

Looks MUCH better than when we picked it up!

Must do a pic of the K1000 too

...and I have an Agfa Isolette for you to have a look at !:D

....if you don't mind?

Heather

Yep upload a pic of the K1000, that looked really nice after I had spent some time on it..

No problem with the isolette.

Steve.

I've got a few 120 spools knocking about, pm me your address and I'll get one in the post to you.

I have a spare plastic one that I could let you have for nowt......no idea what the local french P.O will try and charge me to send it to you though.....If I can get it to you for a a couple of euros/quid then I'll let you know and request your address.....In the meantime someone more local to you may be able to get one to you.

Either way enjoy your new toy......I wouldn't have resisted the buy for a fiver myself even though i already have the same camera!! lol

Cheers guys, I found a local lab which does 120 and went a begging. Actually just this minute finished developing the roll... and... there are images on it. Don't think they're sharp but hey its got images! :D

Pentax design from that era is actually incredible - stunning bits of both art and engineering, at a time when the competitors cameras were fiddly junk in comparison.

I've always been tempted to pick up something like the SL or Spotmatic but my head knows I wouldn't use it enough...

Heather and myself picked up 4 pentax camera's, the SL, a MX, a K1000 and a ME, Out of all of those the ME is the one that I wont spend any time or money on as it seems a different quality to the others almost cheap..

We also picked up eight lenses all good, plus filters and other goodies which I am going through and cleaning them up.

Steve.

The move away from metal towards plastic construction basically, a la Canon AE-1 - which basically set the precedence for a mass market, more plastic based consumer SLR.

Cheers guys, I found a local lab which does 120 and went a begging. Actually just this minute finished developing the roll... and... there are images on it. Don't think they're sharp but hey its got images! :D

Glad to hear you got sorted......excellent that you have given the camera a new lease of life .....sharpness isn't the be all and end all.....getting an image at all can be a challege in itself....well done!

Accidents happen..... Well done you wil love it..

Check the light seals and the foam between the focus screen and the ground glass / plastic. Both dead simple to do..

I have only put a couple of films through mine so far, but am very pleased with it... Mind you I only purchased it last Sunday lunch time...

ChrisR, Thank you - you are the sole one showing any interest. The Contax N1 (Not the N Digital) is 35 mm slr. I managed to get that and a Contax lens for about a tenth of their original price (when new) about £2,000.:clap::)

ChrisR, Thank you - you are the sole one showing any interest. The Contax N1 (Not the N Digital) is 35 mm slr. I managed to get that and a Contax lens for about a tenth of their original price (when new) about £2,000.:clap::)

Gulp. I had to re-read that a couple of times before realising you perhaps paid around £200, rather than the original price being £20,000!:shake:

For a while I had an absurd urge to own a Contax G2 after reading fantiastic reviews as the best rangefinder in the world, etc. I think I've got over that now, but there's a still a halo effect round the Contax name for me. Looks like a great camera; shame the N Digital didn't take off! Do give us some photos when you have them (please)!

ChrisR said:
Gulp. I had to re-read that a couple of times before realising you perhaps paid around £200, rather than the original price being £20,000!:shake:

For a while I had an absurd urge to own a Contax G2 after reading fantiastic reviews as the best rangefinder in the world, etc. I think I've got over that now, but there's a still a halo effect round the Contax name for me. Looks like a great camera; shame the N Digital didn't take off! Do give us some photos when you have them (please)!

Had a G2 for a while. Superb lenses giving that true zeiss look. However the camera was so automated and the AF quirky that I sold it on and got a Leica instead. Much more engaging!

Just about finished scanning the negatives.. they are a touch out of focus... If you squint you can just about recognise the faces, some are better. Some have been ruined by motion blur, need to be a bit slower in operation with it. Quite squint on the horizons as well need to get some more practice in I think.

There are striatons down most of the roll, I presume this has been caused by the rollers. Is this common? Doesn't seem to have effected the scans.

Last edited:
All right, I give up what is it? :D

I was expecting a few more what is its than just the one :LOL:

This may help:

Canham2.jpg

do ya know what it is yet?

It's a Canham MQC 5x7 all metal 5x7 folding field camera, absolutely the best engineered camera I have ever played with. It is also lighter than most of my 4x5 cameras at only 2.6kgs. Video here!

Canham3.jpg

Back