OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

The STX-2 is a decent camera but Fujinon lenses are more scarce, so it would be cheaper to use Tamron, Vivitar or whatever...... instead.

im not going to get any more lenses for it, i cant see it replacing my M3 but for the few quid i got it for it seemed like it was worth a punt

Took a gamble on ebay on a Nikon DW-3 waist level finder for an F3. Stock photo & not much in the way of a description. Got it for the opening £20 bid. It has turned out to be pretty much in mint condition.

It seems to work in internet explorer but not on my phone. In any case it is in the photos from film section.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, ive had to downsize my camera equipment recently, and this also meant selling my Nikon F100 :( To try and make myself feel a 'little' bit better, ive just got an F80 off of ebay with a bid of £24 (y)

Been having a play with it with my 50mm f1.8G and 85mm f1.8G and it seems lovely...obviously not quite as substantial as the F100, but seems pretty good to me :)

Unfortunately, ive had to downsize my camera equipment recently, and this also meant selling my Nikon F100 :( To try and make myself feel a 'little' bit better, ive just got an F80 off of ebay with a bid of £24 (y)

Been having a play with it with my 50mm f1.8G and 85mm f1.8G and it seems lovely...obviously not quite as substantial as the F100, but seems pretty good to me :)

The F80 isn't a bad camera. I found the handling got better for me when I added an MB-16 battery grip. It makes the camera taller & it sits in my hand better. It also allows you to use AA's instead of the more expensive default battery.

Cheers David. I couldnt decide if I wanted the grip or not be honest. Think ill use it for a while first and see how I get on, but I admit I do like how compact the camera is.

The F80 isn't a bad camera. I found the handling got better for me when I added an MB-16 battery grip. It makes the camera taller & it sits in my hand better. It also allows you to use AA's instead of the more expensive default battery.

The F80 is a very solid performer from Nikon, although I never really understood the point of the grip for the F80; one of the camera's main selling points is that it is smaller and lighter than other Nikon cameras of similar functionality and the grip basically beefs it up to the size of an F100. The grip also doesn't even have an additional shutter button for use in portrait orientation.

The F80 is a very solid performer from Nikon, although I never really understood the point of the grip for the F80; one of the camera's main selling points is that it is smaller and lighter than other Nikon cameras of similar functionality and the grip basically beefs it up to the size of an F100. The grip also doesn't even have an additional shutter button for use in portrait orientation.

Suppose it depends on someone's hands. I found that without the grip the F80 was sort of hanging in my right hand & only supported by my fingers wrapped around it. With the grip the bottom of it fits into the curve of my hand & with a longer lens I really feel the difference.

I took a dislike to lithium batteries when my F65 went from showing fully charged to showing flat & unable to power the camera in the space of a handful of shots. Never had spares on me & it ruined my plans. AA alkalines seem so much more predictable when they are dying.

Suppose it depends on someone's hands. I found that without the grip the F80 was sort of hanging in my right hand & only supported by my fingers wrapped around it. With the grip the bottom of it fits into the curve of my hand & with a longer lens I really feel the difference.

I took a dislike to lithium batteries when my F65 went from showing fully charged to showing flat & unable to power the camera in the space of a handful of shots. Never had spares on me & it ruined my plans. AA alkalines seem so much more predictable when they are dying.

I probably should have been more clear that I wasn't questioning your own preferences, which do make sense, but just wondering aloud what Nikon's intent with the grip really was.

It just seems that the grip would have been far more useful if it had only had the extra shutter button.

Finally visited my sister again last week and she had a couple of my father's cameras for me. They have been hanging around in her farm outbuildings for a decade or so, and are externally in rather bad nick. I was expecting that one would be the 6*9 folder that took the DufayColor transparencies I shared last year (and thousands more pre-war black and white negatives as well), and indeed one of them was a Zeiss Ikon folder. It was in pretty bad nick externally and at first I couldn't get it to open, so I had a look at the other. This was a Dacora Digna in an Ilford case...

DSCF6653.jpg

Incredibly basic 6*6 120 camera with a collapsible lens. Shutter speeds B or I (for Instant?), aperture f/7.7 or f/11... the lens wobbles slightly when extended. Apparently Dacora made these for many other companies including Ilford. Something niggles at me to suggest that last year I thought some of the square transparencies might have been taken by a Dacora, that otherwise I'd never heard of, so it's a surprise to find it so basic. I'm guessing it's a "first camera"? Anyway, not one to push the boat out for.

After a bit of further investigation on the Zeiss Ikon, I managed to open the back and fold down the front... and eventually decipher the embossed lettering on the back that read 524/16 (apparently it's known as the Mess Ikonta, for no very obvious reason). The inside looks in much better nick, but it's not the 6*9 I was expecting, instead a post-war 6*6 with an uncoupled rangefinder. The latter looks pretty accurate, except that there is significant vertical displacement between the images, which sometimes makes alignment easier (and sometimes not). This is the tatty exterior (but the damage is mostly cosmetic, and even seems to be improving with handling):

DSCF6648.jpg

Folded out, everything looks much cleaner, and I can't see any light leaks in the bellows:

DSCF6649.jpg

One of those knobs on top is the rangefinder (read off the distance, then set it on the lens), the other appears to be a combination of wind-on knob and film speed reminder (there's no meter so it can't be more than that). In DIN! The lens is a 75mm f/3.5 Novar-Anastigmat with a Prontor-S shutter, so not at all the highest spec version. But it definitely looks worth some effort.

I haven't really had a close look at the light seals; are they easy to replace? Should I get it CLA-d, or run a film through first? And, any advice on cleaning up the exterior?

Last edited:
@ChrisR that Ikonta is identical to the one you borrowed from me 2 (?) years ago. Mess indicates it has a rangefinder, I think. The rest of the Ikonta range only had guess focus, you needed an external RF. The Super Ikonta has a very clever coupled rangefinder but they're big money.

Last edited:
We were lucky enough to away in Anaheim within the last few weeks and, following on from a recent scanner thread, I decided to pick up one of these...

Pakon F135 by djguru32, on Flickr

A Kodak Pakon F135 Plus.
I don't normally shoot much 35mm but I always hated scanning anything I've shot on the V500, so after purchasing an Olympus XA3 just prior to the trip decided I just 'had' to have it, especially as the seller AAA Imaging is only about 15 mins away in Westminster.
Anyway, carried it back as part of the hand-luggag and hooked it up tonight. Comes with V3.0 software so does colour & B&W, autofeeds either strips of 4 or full uncut rolls.
A full roll of 36 shots takes only circa 5 minutes to scan!
Two rolls scanned so far and seems great saving as JPEGs, although I'm sure there are multiple options to explore and more quality to be obtained.
Very pleased!

Edit: photo added

Last edited:
@ChrisR that Ikonta is identical to the one you borrowed from me 2 (?) years ago. Mess indicates it has a rangefinder, I think. The rest of the Ikonta range only had guess focus, you needed an external RF. The Super Ikonta has a very clever coupled rangefinder but they're big money.

Oh, I don't remember the rangefinder on yours... which I've been thinking of as a Nettar, but that was the travelling camera, wasn't it. Aperture tells me it was January last year, and I'm still not comfortably sorted with MF!

Finally visited my sister again last week and she had a couple of my father's cameras for me. They have been hanging around in her farm outbuildings for a decade or so, and are externally in rather bad nick. I was expecting that one would be the 6*9 folder that took the DufayColor transparencies I shared last year (and thousands more pre-war black and white negatives as well), and indeed one of them was a Zeiss Ikon folder. It was in pretty bad nick externally and at first I couldn't get it to open, so I had a look at the other. This was a Dacora Digna in an Ilford case...

Incredibly basic 6*6 120 camera with a collapsible lens. Shutter speeds B or I (for Instant?), aperture f/7.7 or f/11... the lens wobbles slightly when extended. Apparently Dacora made these for many other companies including Ilford. Something niggles at me to suggest that last year I thought some of the square transparencies might have been taken by a Dacora, that otherwise I'd never heard of, so it's a surprise to find it so basic. I'm guessing it's a "first camera"? Anyway, not one to push the boat out for.

After a bit of further investigation on the Zeiss Ikon, I managed to open the back and fold down the front... and eventually decipher the embossed lettering on the back that read 524/16 (apparently it's known as the Mess Ikonta, for no very obvious reason). The inside looks in much better nick, but it's not the 6*9 I was expecting, instead a post-war 6*6 with an uncoupled rangefinder. The latter looks pretty accurate, except that there is significant vertical displacement between the images, which sometimes makes alignment easier (and sometimes not). This is the tatty exterior (but the damage is mostly cosmetic, and even seems to be improving with handling):

Folded out, everything looks much cleaner, and I can't see any light leaks in the bellows:

One of those knobs on top is the rangefinder (read off the distance, then set it on the lens), the other appears to be a combination of wind-on knob and film speed reminder (there's no meter so it can't be more than that). In DIN! The lens is a 75mm f/3.5 Novar-Anastigmat with a Prontor-S shutter, so not at all the highest spec version. But it definitely looks worth some effort.

I haven't really had a close look at the light seals; are they easy to replace? Should I get it CLA-d, or run a film through first? And, any advice on cleaning up the exterior?

I have an Ikonta, I'd be able to tell you what the image quality was like if I hadn't screwed developing the film :)

I think the rangefinder is adjustable. There's a manual available on the Butkus website, I think you want the one for the Ikonta iii or Super Ikonta. Usage wise it seems really good, the extra thing on the lens that doesn't adjust speed or aperture cocks the shutter. I have fungus on my lens but did get an offer from a guy who sells cameras on Ebay to CLA mine for quite a reasonable fee. If I do and he does a good job I can let you know. If it takes decent pictures at 6x9 considering it's reasonable portable when folded I think it's worth the investment.

Thanks Simon, the IQ does tend to depend on the lens, and the Novar Anastigmat on my father's is not as well rated as the Tessar on some. I'm a bit concerned at the possibility of fungus, but have not really checked yet. Do let me know how the CLA goes please. Is he doing the seals as well?

Not sure about seals. We got chatting about why I was looking for another folder and he offered to sort the Ikonta for me. I want to run a film through it first though and get a general idea of what the images are like.

Here is my new toy :)
Bought it for under £7 Inc delivery :)
It was sold with not working winder. But just managed to get it working :)
Seems like blades are stuck at f2. ..but need to get a roll through it to test it.
At slower speeds shutter doesn't work as it should ( takes more time ) but seems fine above 1/30.
Next step is to get £1 roll through it :)
If anyone happens to have a service manual for Mamiya Super Deluxe, i would be greatful:):):)

If anyone happens to have a service manual for Mamiya Super Deluxe, i would be greatful:):):)

There's a manual on butkus.org

Access to the aperture blades is by removing the square plate that the shutter mechanism is mounted on. The screws for the plate are behind the vinyl.

Also:
http://rherron.conforums.com/index.cgi

Last edited:
There's a manual on butkus.org

Access to the aperture blades is by removing the square plate that the shutter mechanism is mounted on. The screws for the plate are behind the vinyl.

Also:
http://rherron.conforums.com/index.cgi

thanks for link, but no information on SD there...on this guys main page, he states that he removed support for manuals...so no manual for me

which vinyl you mean for square plate ?

Yes there is Lukas, tenth item down on L/H side under Mamiya 35mm
Mamiya / Sekor Super Deluxe. Hope this helps.

C

I've just received a new toy in the post thanks to Tikkathreebarrel :0)

View attachment 18259

I was planning on swapping the battery grip for a standard winding handle before it came to save weight but the clunk/whirr from it is strangely addictive so I'll keep it for the time being!

Thanks again to tikkathreebarrel for the kit and the box of Velvia with it.

Cheers
Steve

just pulled the trigger on this

Fuji GA645Zi. Its just left tokyo so im hoping it gets through customs before i go away next Sat.

Jealous or what!

I WANT one, despite RJ's comments, except I need to handle one first to make sure I can actually press the shutter button (it's a bit "round the corner"!).

Jealous or what!

I WANT one, despite RJ's comments, except I need to handle one first to make sure I can actually press the shutter button (it's a bit "round the corner"!).

Well it is a bit of a chunky monkey but the YouTube vids ive watched havnt made it look too cumbersome. Im a little dissapointed there is no side tripod thread though. There are plenty on the bay though, just quite a few with niggling little things wrong. One was quoted as near mint but clearly had masking tape holding the back hinge in place!

Last edited:
So.... I may have been on Ebay again. I was aware of the condition of these before I bought them, took a gamble as they were all very cheap.

Barnet Ensign Ful-Vue (1946). Turned up in a bit of a state stuck closed with non-working shutter and the red plastic from the back window had fallen into the camera. Got the shutter working with some lubrication (very simple mechanism) and stuck the plastic back on. Currently running a test roll of Ektar through it. Built like a tank from something resembling solid cast iron.

Voigtlander VF135. In almost mint condition, but the film advance does nothing. It springs back ok, just doesn't advance the spool. I've had the top off the camera and can't see anything obviously wrong.

Olympus 35 RC - big dent in the filter ring and needs a bit of a clean. No idea yet if the meter works but everything else seems to work fine.

View attachment 18521 View attachment 18522 View attachment 18523 View attachment 18524

I'd quite like one of those ful view, not for me but the laddie would love the big vf.

If you do, avoid the Ful-Vue Super - it's 620 film.
......unless you pick up a gud un and respool 120 film onto 620 spools ;)...... I may be able to help with a spool if you have need :)

Last edited:
Back