OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

The 40mm lens is a very good lens (as most Hexanons are) and being the sharpest (at the time) lens in the world probably started from one source and Parrots.
The Konicas were my main cameras in the 80s and 90s, and I've still got them scuffing about in a drawer. I think maybe 2 of the FC-1s would probably work, but my FS-1 gave up the ghost some time ago. Fitting it with a Tamron 24mm made it (almost ) perfect for framing compositions for my ZeroImage pinhole, (I've replaced it with a lighter FC-1 body for that purpose) so I knew it would come in handy someday. :rolleyes:
Anyhow, I have a couple of the Konica 50mm and at least 1 of the 40mm and was happy with them for years before I "upgraded" to Nikon. I really need to try them on film again, but I've not been overwhelmed by their performance on either Fuji FX or MFT with adaptors. :thinking:

OK, that sentence started quite well, and ended with me checking my medication! Or, what?

The source might be coming from this site below and everyone parrots it? The digi guys have proved there are sharper lenses even Hexanon 50mm f1.7, but we are into pixel peeping and the 40mm lens is sharp and a lens I've always liked for results on film (I have two).....I'm a Hexanon fan and the Joe public common 28mm f3.5 is another VG lens to get (ok it's not a Zeiss Distagon).
For anyone trying Konica cameras and lenses.....the lenses are better than their cameras as over time the electrical ones have become unreliable, but a very basic one is the Autoreflex TC and is mechanical. Later Cosina made a more plastic one Autoreflex tc-x
http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e40_18.html

The Konicas were my main cameras in the 80s and 90s, and I've still got them scuffing about in a drawer. I think maybe 2 of the FC-1s would probably work, but my FS-1 gave up the ghost some time ago. Fitting it with a Tamron 24mm made it (almost ) perfect for framing compositions for my ZeroImage pinhole, (I've replaced it with a lighter FC-1 body for that purpose) so I knew it would come in handy someday. :rolleyes:
Anyhow, I have a couple of the Konica 50mm and at least 1 of the 40mm and was happy with them for years before I "upgraded" to Nikon. I really need to try them on film again, but I've not been overwhelmed by their performance on either Fuji FX or MFT with adaptors. :thinking:

The digi guys have put up the price of quite a few Hexanon lenses and the rare ones go for silly prices :( With Hexanon lenses those in the know get the best optical ones e.g. there are different types\years for lenses.......and say for the 28mm there is the common one and less common better optical ones, of course all pixel peeping and whether you can see the difference in a 10x8 print is debateable.

Just going through my shots and can show:- Asda or Tesco low scan (same as Filmdev), a VG film like Superia 200 or Reala and the Hexanon 40mm lens and why would anyone moan if shots came out like these, and even a bit of pop in the golf one. The 40mm (and 28mm) lens were going for peanuts a few years back, some on the TC camera.
Ft1
31qyLa0.jpg

TC
h142TKD.jpg

Just going through my shots and can show:- Asda or Tesco low scan (same as Filmdev), a VG film like Superia 200 or Reala and the Hexanon 40mm lens and why would anyone moan if shots came out like these, and even a bit of pop in the golf one. The 40mm (and 28mm) lens were going for peanuts a few years back, some on the TC camera.

Working FC-1 now checked and fitted with 40mm for an outing this week Brian. :snaphappy:

Last edited:
The source might be coming from this site below and everyone parrots it? The digi guys have proved there are sharper lenses even Hexanon 50mm f1.7, but we are into pixel peeping and the 40mm lens is sharp and a lens I've always liked for results on film (I have two).....I'm a Hexanon fan and the Joe public common 28mm f3.5 is another VG lens to get (ok it's not a Zeiss Distagon).
For anyone trying Konica cameras and lenses.....the lenses are better than their cameras as over time the electrical ones have become unreliable, but a very basic one is the Autoreflex TC and is mechanical. Later Cosina made a more plastic one Autoreflex tc-x
http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e40_18.html
I think that might be one of the sites I saw that quote on. When I put "was described as" I meant historically. I have the TC-X, a battery had corroded in it and it took a long time to get it out, but it works. I also have an FP-1 which is a bit of an odd camera only using 3 aperture settings and allowing you no control over shutter speed or aperture.

Working FC-1 now checked and fitted with 40mm for an outing this week Brian. :snaphappy:

See if you can pick up the Hexanon 28mm f3.5 for under £15 (it's possible)...I was going to post shots that I have taken with it, but if you get one, then you can do it o_O :D

See if you can pick up the Hexanon 28mm f3.5 for under £15 (it's possible)...I was going to post shots that I have taken with it, but if you get one, then you can do it o_O :D
I already have one Brian, although it took me ages to find it. Weather this week is really bright so far, so I'm thinking FP4+ rather than 200 or 400 colour film. :snaphappy:

Just received the test film back and my EOS 30v seems to be working OK. The following two shots demonstrate what I like about the eye controlled focus system it has.

You can go from selecting this focus point:

img256 by J White, on Flickr

To this focus point:

img251 by J White, on Flickr

Just by looking at it, and that's got to have been one of the best inventions ever to have been discontinued. I really wish they'd bring it back on modern EOS DSLRs.

great example - and i'm with you 100% on that - it's why I love my EOS-3, and I'd really love it to be implemented on the electronic picture makers I own as well... shame that Canon seem to have thrown that one out with the film bathwater.

@excalibur2 @Asha I've run a film through this now and it's pretty much working. The wind mechanism was very stiff, so I chickened out of the last couple of frames just in case. The shutter release was also quite stiff, so I'm surprised that there isn't more shake in the photos. Film was fresh FP4+ in replenished Xtol scanned on Minolta Elite 5400.

2019-05-19-0017-copy-tp.jpg

2019-05-19-0022-copytp.jpg

100% crop

2019-05-19-0022-copy2-tp.jpg

Last edited:
I've run a film through this now and it's pretty much working

They've come out very good Peter…..Well done!

I wonder is it worth paying out for a CLA to try resolve the stiff winder and shutter.

@excalibur2 @Asha I've run a film through this now and it's pretty much working. The wind mechanism was very stiff, so I chickened out of the last couple of frames just in case. The shutter release was also quite stiff, so I'm surprised that there isn't more shake in the photos. Film was fresh FP4+ in replenished Xtol scanned on Minolta Elite 5400.

View attachment 245602

View attachment 245603

100% crop

View attachment 245605

(y)
I've got one for the Hexanon 28mm: -

L6RhE3S.jpg

CMnYPew.jpg

They've come out very good Peter…..Well done!

I wonder is it worth paying out for a CLA to try resolve the stiff winder and shutter.
I don't think you can get any parts for them nowadays, and they're only worth peanuts in reality. There's a second film in it just now and it is possibly just a touch less stiff, so maybe a case of just working it and it'll free up. I'll also try out the 50mm lens and I've a Tokina 70-210 zoom I had forgotten about. :rolleyes:
Here are a couple from the Czechoslovak Memorial in Arisaig, probably the 28mm. https://www.mzv.cz/london/en/what_s_new/memorial_to_czechoslovak_soldiers.html

2019-05-19-0031-copy-tp.jpg

100%

2019-05-19-0031-copy2-tp.jpg

I seem to be investing more in my Nikon system than any other. On Sunday I bought an 85mm f1.8 AF from a seller on eBay and on Monday, a Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8 AF-S G ED from Cash Converters for over £400 less than the new price.

The picture of the 85/1.8 is a crop from an eBay image.IMG_20190520_183849.jpgIMG_20190521_101810.jpg

Hardly new, but I received a 1930's Kodak folding brownie six-20 last week. Brought cheap due to jammed bellows, only to find the shutter is more basic than any I'd seen before (in the flesh or via the web) - just one aperture setting & one unstated speed.
Not worth re-spooling 120 film for, but I guess it will still work as a prop. At least I'll get more use from the Voigtlander Vito that I got the week before!

Last Saturday I picked up a Ricoh 500ZF, which I guess is for zone focus, for £10. I was also offered a Nikonos I for £100. It looks to be Nikon's first version not the Calypso. It has the silver rewind knob, no crank. Is this worth it?

It's like the one shown here but with black lens housing.
https://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/nikonos1.htm

Couple more from last week's outing with the Konica FC-1 and FP4+ in replenished Xtol. First one is with the Hexanon 28mm, the second with the 40mm and the 3rd a crop of the 40mm shot.

A limited viewpoint due to the requirement to climb onto the Armco barrier at the side of the road to see over the mesh fence, then balance on the barrier without falling back into the passing traffic. :snaphappy: The steam train is the Jacobite Express (Harry Potter train) operating in "low steam" due to the tinder dry nature of the surrounding countryside. This means the diesel pretty much supplies the grunt while the steam loco provides the "experience" that folks want.

2019-05-23-0005-copy-tp.jpg

2019-05-23-0003-copy.jpg-tp.jpg

2019-05-23-0003-copy2-tp.jpg

Ebay has a special discount code (Plugin15) valid for today only. It's good for 15% off, up to a maximum of £60, for any purchase over £20.

I'd like to say that I'm stronger than that but there might be a little ugly something in the post. I would have better resisted if the seller hadn't also discounted the item [emoji849]

Ebay has a special discount code (Plugin15) valid for today only. It's good for 15% off, up to a maximum of £60, for any purchase over £20.

I'd like to say that I'm stronger than that but there might be a little ugly something in the post. I would have better resisted if the seller hadn't also discounted the item [emoji849]
Thanks, hopefully the camera I'm bidding on that ends tonight won't go high enough to qualify, but I might get tempted to get some of the other things I have on hold!

Two additions to the Nikon collection today. A Nikon F501 with AF Nikkor 35-70mm F3.3-4.5 and the AF Nikkor 85mm f1.8 shown. IMG_20190524_183656.jpg

20190607_094540.jpg

I can quite understand why somewhere between Italy and Cheshire that someone decide to check what was in the jiffy bag - presume they swabbed it rather than opened the placcy bag - they should have resealed it properly though, thankfully it did not fall out. Now can experiment with some more expired film and paper and see if can reduce fog.

Any idea how they'd check what the white powder actually was? Do they sniff it, taste it, or send some off for analysis?

If it's anything like the airports, they wipe a swab over the packaging, and pop that in a desktop unit that looks for the chemical signatures of norty stuff.
A positive result will see it seized for more detailed analysis.

Any idea how they'd check what the white powder actually was? Do they sniff it, taste it, or send some off for analysis?
They have a group of well trained professional snorters, they'll cut up a few lines of unidentified white powders for a "blind" testing. Usually your powder, some Ajax scouring powder, some Shake n' Vac and a control line of Columbian marching powder.

They have a group of well trained professional snorters, they'll cut up a few lines of unidentified white powders for a "blind" testing. Usually your powder, some Ajax scouring powder, some Shake n' Vac and a control line of Columbian marching powder.
Or some poor Spaniel gets a nostril full.

looks for the chemical signatures of norty stuff.

Did you mean "looks for the chemical signatures of snorty stuff." ?

If it's anything like the airports, they wipe a swab over the packaging, and pop that in a desktop unit that looks for the chemical signatures of norty stuff.
A positive result will see it seized for more detailed analysis.
The swab testing is usually quite sensitive to the range of materials they suspect they may be dealing with but can throw false positives. Analysis in the machine depends on techniques like GC-MS, ion mobility MS and for drugs increasingly immunoassay systems with a biological basis. Explaining why my briefcase tested positive for explosives when landing in Atlanta a month after 9-11 was an interesting experince, just glad I did not notice the two chaps behind me with drawn weapons until after they gave me the OK !

Suitcase potentially containing explosives.
Two chaps preparing to send hot lead in the direction of the suitcase, and it's owner.
That doesn't seem like the smartest strategy.

I would expect they have an FTIR on site. We take one round the country for testing motor racing fuels, they're not ridiculously expensive (~£15k) and will rapidly give a fingerprint of organic solids & liquids.
They're probably just keen on confirming the fingerprint doesn't match any of their banned substances rather than confirming it is what it claims.
The spectrum for your sample should look something like the one shown here:
https://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C95147&Type=IR-SPEC&Index=1

I've not received it yet but I have my own range of new film related toys on the way. Another Toyo 5x4 monorail along with a sliding graflok back for it as a separate purchase. I didn't really need the whole camera but it was so cheap it worked out cheaper than getting the lensboard, adapter, bag bellows & compendium hood even used (all included & v useful) In fact the adapter alone is probably more new than I paid for the whole lot and the remainder (2 standards, rail ground glass, viewing hood) could prove useful too, or just provide the basis for a spare system I can sell on after testing.

I would expect they have an FTIR on site. We take one round the country for testing motor racing fuels, they're not ridiculously expensive (~£15k) and will rapidly give a fingerprint of organic solids & liquids.
They're probably just keen on confirming the fingerprint doesn't match any of their banned substances rather than confirming it is what it claims.
The spectrum for your sample should look something like the one shown here:
https://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C95147&Type=IR-SPEC&Index=1

That takes me back to my days doing analysis. Did my MSc thesis on IR analysis of silica in workplace air samples. FTIR would have been useful back then instead of doing measurements with rulers on chart recorder outputs.

That takes me back to my days doing analysis. Did my MSc thesis on IR analysis of silica in workplace air samples. FTIR would have been useful back then instead of doing measurements with rulers on chart recorder outputs.
The software on our first FTIR wasn't very good for quantitative work, I had to write a routine that drew all the possible baselines for a peak, and measured heights to each of these at the various possible peak maxima, finally picking the height that was the biggest. It was almost as easy to simply count squares on the old dispersive instrument & apply a fiddle factor. Admittedly scan speed was significantly quicker & the instrument was less than half the size. It was certainly streets ahead if we needed to do a library search, or simply compare 2 spectra.

Funnily enough I'm currently running workplace air samples, but I use thermal desorption GC for that - all highly automated, as long as a seal doesn't fail they should all be done before I get up tomorrow.
I wouldn't have considered trying IR for that application but I suppose you would probably have been looking for very different components than concern us. Silica wouldn't be very good at retaining hydrocarbons. We've had a TD system since I started back in the mid 80's, but I gather chemical desorption using CS2 was the standard approach before TD was available.

Funnily enough I'm currently running workplace air samples, but I use thermal desorption GC for that - all highly automated, as long as a seal doesn't fail they should all be done before I get up tomorrow.
I wouldn't have considered trying IR for that application but I suppose you would probably have been looking for very different components than concern us. Silica wouldn't be very good at retaining hydrocarbons. We've had a TD system since I started back in the mid 80's, but I gather chemical desorption using CS2 was the standard approach before TD was available.

Taking the analytical chat to IM.

Back