OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Looks like a doer-upper. Is it an Automat?

Thought it was, similar serial number to mine. They really are a lovely camera to use and the lenses are superb.

I have just taken delivery of an OrionWerk plate camera - it take 9 by 12 cm plates. Doubt that I can get 9 by 12 film to fit, so this is just for interest. It came with a home-made roll-film adapter.
View attachment 287385View attachment 287386

It’s probably doable but quite difficult ..... I’ll check sources locally and report back later today or tomorrow

Just a few of many suppliers that I use here on the continent that offer 9x12 film

I haven't checked international sales so if you find bits that you may want but UK shipment isn't available, then if required I'm happy to add to an order for myself, then forward your goods onto you in the UK.

Should you have need for holders etc in metric format then just ask as I often come across bits and pieces on flea markets etc , in fact there's a vide grenier ( car boot equivalent )here in the village at the beginning of august!!

Thought it was, similar serial number to mine. They really are a lovely camera to use and the lenses are superb.
Will put a film through it this weekend to test it, I have the very old FP4 that was in it to stand develop, just as easy to put 2 in the same tank

If it needs a new skin I use Cameraleather in the US, John Goodman is the man. The website is a little bit and miss but if you send him serial number and shots all round the camera he'll supply a perfect fit.

View attachment 286306

[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

10x8 of course but soon to have extras [emoji6]

Watch this space.

The ‘extras’....

View attachment 287657

10x 8 - 5x7 reducing back
Half a dozen suitable 13x18 ( continental equivalent to 5x7) film holders.

Just tried different lenses and out of the four that I have, three will work fine with no vignetting....300, 210, and 150mm

So pretty much a wide, standard and long standard focal length.
I think 240mm is considered standard length for 5x7 so 210 is close enough for me.

I suspect one could go wider but the movements would become very restrictive.
What’s available with 150mm are just nicely comfortable.... about 4cm on the rise/fall, similar on shift ., sufficient swing and ample tilt.
Tbh 150mm wide anyway.... about 90 on 5x4 I think though need to read up more on the equivalents.

Film is in the fridge so just as soon as I feel upto it, I’m all ready for the 5x7 experience [emoji2]

Last edited:
Tbh 150mm wide anyway.... about 90 on 5x4 I think though need to read up more on the equivalents.
My 35mm equivalent figures were as follows, although others may disagree. ;)

90mm = 19mm on 5x7

120mm = 25mm on 5x7

150mm = 32mm on 5x7

180mm = 38mm on 5x7

210mm = 44mm on 5x7

300mm = 69mm on 5x7

My 35mm equivalent figures were as follows, although others may disagree. ;)

90mm = 19mm on 5x7

120mm = 25mm on 5x7

150mm = 32mm on 5x7

180mm = 38mm on 5x7

210mm = 44mm on 5x7

300mm = 69mm on 5x7

cheersPeter

I had a very rough idea based on the differences between 5x4 and 10x8 being double/half ..... 5x7 being roughly something like half way between the two.

It’s rare that i’m precise with anything be it focal lengh equivalents, temperature and measurements of chemicals and most certainly focusing !!!

All ready for when I start the last litre of previous batch. So another couple of years of film development. Very good service from Firstcall Photographic, ordered, packed, dispatched and delivered by DPD within 24 hours! IMG_20200730_112936-02.jpg

Last edited:
My Dad had one of these and I always thought it was a great little thing - 120 contact printer and safe light. Anyway his got lost in the mists of time and for whatever reason it came to mind a week or two ago, quick look on fleabay and I got this one for £5 in "unknown" condition. Turns out to be in really good nick and just needs a bulb. I know my Dad had some specific 6x6cm (or presumably a little larger) contact printing paper for this but it doesn't seem to be available so I'll have to cut some bigger paper down. And here was me resisiting for a long time going down the dark room slippery slope :oops: :$

DSC01849.jpg

I think - and this is going back to my contact printing days which ended in 1961 when I got an enlarger - that I used 2.25 x 3.25 paper. I used a printing frame, with masks to give a nice border. The masks were bought at a chemist in The Springs, Wakefield. As did some chemicals. Those were the days, when you could buy such things from the local chemist. I still have the masks (for what's now known as 6x6, 6x9 and 35mm) stored in a 7x5 dish in my darkroom cupboard. If the masks would help you, let me know.

Picked up a Voigtländer Dynamatic II and an Adox 6x6 folder while out for the day. Both in cases, both working.

The Voigtländer had a part used roll of Kodacolour VR 100 so I finished it off. I reloaded it with a roll of Ektar 100.

The Adox's case looks like it was made yesterday but I had some trouble getting the camera out when I was going to check the lens & bellows (all good).IMG_20200801_161233.jpgIMG_20200801_161424.jpg

Picked up a Voigtländer Dynamatic II and an Adox 6x6 folder while out for the day. Both in cases, both working.

The Voigtländer had a part used roll of Kodacolour VR 100 so I finished it off. I reloaded it with a roll of Ektar 100.

The Adox's case looks like it was made yesterday but I had some trouble getting the camera out when I was going to check the lens & bellows (all good).View attachment 288458View attachment 288459

Do you publish any the the photos you make with your considerable collection Steve? I know you show the cameras here, but it would be good to see some of the results if you have them anywhere. It'd be a useful resource given the number of cameras you have.

There's nowt wrong with wood to ply your trade as a photographer. Rearrange words to suit...

I think - and this is going back to my contact printing days which ended in 1961 when I got an enlarger - that I used 2.25 x 3.25 paper. I used a printing frame, with masks to give a nice border. The masks were bought at a chemist in The Springs, Wakefield. As did some chemicals. Those were the days, when you could buy such things from the local chemist. I still have the masks (for what's now known as 6x6, 6x9 and 35mm) stored in a 7x5 dish in my darkroom cupboard. If the masks would help you, let me know.
Thanks, sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I only just saw this. The contact printer came with the original masks so on OK on that front thanks.

Impulse buy. I was looking for a 135mm lens but found this Fujinon 180 Soft Focus lens from Peter Walnes. Great condition a very reasonable price. It only has one of its diffusion disks but that won't be a problem. Look forward to trying it out in the next few days.

IMG_2165.jpg

One reason I was looking for a 135mm lens was as a replacement for the two I have at the moment, a Symmar and a Heliar. Both have sticky shutters despite being serviced some time ago. I guess they need regular exercise. The new lens has a more modern Copal shutter which works smoothly on all speeds.

Impulse buy. I was looking for a 135mm lens but found this Fujinon 180 Soft Focus lens from Peter Walnes. Great condition a very reasonable price. It only has one of its diffusion disks but that won't be a problem. Look forward to trying it out in the next few days.

View attachment 288951

One reason I was looking for a 135mm lens was as a replacement for the two I have at the moment, a Symmar and a Heliar. Both have sticky shutters despite being serviced some time ago. I guess they need regular exercise. The new lens has a more modern Copal shutter which works smoothly on all speeds.

Apparently the photographers at Hollywood (in the old days) producing glamour shots used LF and soft focus lenses, for one reason the negs from LF were easy to alter erm well we all know many women celebrities seen in the street don't always look like shots in Vogue or where-ever. ;)

Yep, looks like it should have wings with those decals..

Heh... I was looking for my scalpel to cut the light seals and it was in the modelling box where I have a *lot* of transfers... Seemed a shame to pass them by :)

Do you publish any the the photos you make with your considerable collection Steve? I know you show the cameras here, but it would be good to see some of the results if you have them anywhere. It'd be a useful resource given the number of cameras you have.
I have a backlog of film I need to develop. I bought a Sous Vide with the intention of doing c41 but whenever I plan on getting the kit I see a lens or something else and spend the money.

This week I have bought an Olympus Trip 35 for £8, a Ricoh 500ZF for £5, a Pentax MZ-7 with Pentax 28-200 FA for £25 and a Nikon Series E 70-150mm for £40 so far.

The MZ-7 had the usual shutter issue but I'm taking the lens out today on my MZ-6.IMG_20200810_193338.jpg

I have a backlog of film I need to develop. I bought a Sous Vide with the intention of doing c41 but whenever I plan on getting the kit I see a lens or something else and spend the money.

This week I have bought an Olympus Trip 35 for £8, a Ricoh 500ZF for £5, a Pentax MZ-7 with Pentax 28-200 FA for £25 and a Nikon Series E 70-150mm for £40 so far.

The MZ-7 had the usual shutter issue but I'm taking the lens out today on my MZ-6.View attachment 289636
Sorry, it's my MZ-3 not my MZ-6 and I've added a Miranda 24mm f2.8 MC Macro in OM mount for £10 and a Fujifilm Fotonex 210ix Gift Set for £2.50. The 210ix is only missing the battery, it comes with 3 rolls of Fuji Nexia 25exposure APS film.

I picked up this X700 the other day. I've only put one roll through it so far and that has yet to have been developed. I really enjoyed using it compared to the Canon EOS I had used before hand mainly due to its more tactile ergonomics.....lets hope my manual focusing skills are ok.

View attachment 289665

Nice camera and that lens is razor sharp.

Thanks, yes I'm hoping the images come out nice and sharp.

The camera also came with a 28mm F2.8 lens but it appears to have some damage to the outer coating of the lens glass on its camera body side. Is it fair to assume that images taken with this lens on will be negatively affected due to this damage?

View attachment 289902

Why assume?
Use it for and see for yourself if there are issues that arise which are without doubt the cause of these marks on the rear element.
I have a LF lens with a very distinct scratch smack in the middle of the of the rear element ..... that same lens gives me some of the best results that I obtain from all of my kit!

Assumption is an imaginary belief..... The verity comes from actual reality [emoji6]

Alternatively flog it for a daft price and wonder if perhaps it offered good images after all.

Last edited:
Back