Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

IN reply to Alby, Jeff and Robin,

Yes, I understand what you are saying but in response there's a few things I'd like to say (if I can remember them......) :

Weight of the lens is an issue for me and the Zuiko is about 5 oz heavier, also longer and wider.

I had the Zuiko lens long enough to try it out (I've still actually got it) and was able to send some files to the Olympus techie. He/they examined them and came to the conclusion that I need to send my EM1.2 for checking/repair. He wouldn't suggest that the lens needed checking because it was brand new and I was getting +/- the same problems as with the Panny. he couldn't say for sure that it wasn't a "settings" problem. Perhaps I should press him a bit further on this?

Apparently the Zuiko lens was designed by Sigma so in some ways it isn't an "Olympus" lens.

Following your instructions, Jeff, I changed the settings in my EM1.2. I still got some bum results with the Panny lens, but there was one set which may be a clue to what the problem is. While I was sitting near a peregrine eyrie a juvenile came and perched in a tree right in front of me. It sat there for about 5 minutes. So I was able to take some pictures in a very relaxed and non-hurried situation. The first few were at 1/320 second and f11. (ISO 1000) and they were pretty sharp. At least good enough to put them through DXOLab and get an excellent result, enabling me to crop down well into the file and still get a sharp image. Then I changed to 1/1250 sec at f5.8 and it was back to the old mushy mess. This suggests that :

1. The IS is working well with my current settings as recommended by Jeff. 1/320 @ f11 at 318 mm - it has to be working well!
2. Something is not right at wider apertures.
3. It's all well and good knowing that but won't help me with birds in flight or in lower light conditions..

Some people have posted images using the Panny lens which are absolutely brilliant!

The EM1.2 is still under guarantee thanks to HDEW; I just hope it will be possible to get hold of a OM1 at a reasonable price in the next few months!

There's no reason why I shouldn't get the Zuiko lens some time in the future if I need to.

So it's all still a work in progress, decisions are still to be made but I'm starting to get there. Thanks for taking the time to comment on my problems!
Only thing wrong with this statement is the Fact I have never suggested that you shoot at F11. Never not ever … in fact my lens rarely if ever moves off of F6.3 wide open and never fails to get sharp shots …does that throw a spanner in the works hmmmmmmm

.... That's interesting and something I hadn't appreciated or known about as I'm not a Panasonic user, except for a TZ60 pocket camera occasionally.

But it does raise the question whether Panasonic update their Firmware to accommodate Olympus lenses or not.

No idea - I've had 3 Olympus bodies and 1 Panasonic lens.
IIRC there was a firmware update for the E-M10 Mki when the Panasonic f1.7 25mm was released for a video bug. I'd just got the lens so felt pleased the two manufacturers were playing nicely together.

I'm looking at going on a Safari (SA) next month and I am woefully under kitted for such a trip.
My longest focal length at the moment is 60mm!

What would you take, given that the Safari is only 1/3 of the trip and I want to pack relatively light?
I currently have Olympus em-10 mk1, Panasonic GX9 and Olympus 12-45 F4, Sigma 60mm F2.8.
I'm thinking of adding Olympus em-1 mkii, 40-150mm f2.8 + mc14.
Is that going to give me sufficient reach and flexibility?

I had the E-M10 Mki and the E-M10 Mkii is a significant step up - much better stabilisation
If you wanted to keep small they're a bargain used. I've not been impressed by the Mkiii or Mkiv.
I'd recommend it even if you did something else for your safari.

I pair mine with a Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II - reasonable in good light but comparatively hard to hand hold at the long end on an E-M10ii

I'm not a wildlife photographer and use the 75-300 once in a while to see the Seals at Horsey in Norfolk or a spot of motor sport.

Of course I'd expect the E-M1ii and 40-150 PRO to be a lot better, for the significant increase in cost.
I'm not familiar with the GX9

What SD card do you recommend. I don't shoot video but do want to maximise the high frame rate of the OM1 when shooting BIF

Only thing wrong with this statement is the Fact I have never suggested that you shoot at F11. Never not ever … in fact my lens rarely if ever moves off of F6.3 wide open and never fails to get sharp shots …does that throw a spanner in the works hmmmmmmm

No, you didn't suggest that. I don't know how it happened! :LOL: But it worked. It seems to be pretty sharp at f11 anyway - see unedited landscape below._5290684.jpg

Last edited:
What SD card do you recommend. I don't shoot video but do want to maximise the high frame rate of the OM1 when shooting BIF
.... I recommend the fastest write speed card you can afford. Not only because the OM-1 frame rate options are very fast but because of processing and writing the results of other features onboard.

FWIW I have bought SanDisk 32GB UHS II cards slot 1 stills photography.

The UHS II speed means the buffer clears quicker than even the fastest UHS 1 version cards.

I have shot some video but to the second slot only and in there I have a SanDisk 64GB 170mbs UHS 1 card. I know very little of the video side so whatever the default settings are that is what it is set at .

Having purchased the Zuiko 100-400 zoom in the hope of getting better results than with my Panasonic 100 - 400, I found there wasn't much difference (if any), so I plan to send the Zuiko back for a refund.

Wasn't there a couple of others on this thread about to make the same decision a couple of weeks ago? If so, how did it go?
I did and it was a lot better for me especially dragonflies and birds in flight

I think your mention in the past of the focus throw is a very valid one.

I really don’t mind the 1:1 switch although I appreciate it‘s not that easy to reach. I’m sure you know, but for others benefit - It just focuses it at the nearest distance. As long as you don’t have the AF attached to the shutter button (i.e. MF or back button focus), then you move the camera into position till it focuses and click - and you know you have the max magnification possible.
I didn’t know that . Thanks will give that a blast this weekend

It depends how fast you can move your camera - you are effectively manually focusing by moving the camera instead of the focus ring.

It is slow to autofocus - not great for beasties. I have two Canon macro lenses and they are slow too. I only use it for flowers or inanimate objects. For butterflies etc. I tend to use my long lenses.
.... The problem is that all wildlife reacts to movement and consequently any movement towards them will scare them away. This is especially true when the front of a Macro lens is barely inches away from them.

The Zuiko 60mm Macro lens was designed and introduced quite a few years ago in 2012 - That's 10 years ago in the fast advancing world of camera technology. Bear in mind also that Olympus is essentially a company with a very long history of developing microscopes and it is only in the last year that the organisation has been restructured to separate camera development under the brand of OM Systems.

Consequently the long focus throw of the 60mm Macro is particularly helpful and accurate when mounted on a tripod while photographing inanimate objects which don't spook.

When you can get it right while shooting wildlife the lens is stunning but it can far too easily be very frustrating and captures lost. Everything is greatly emphasised the closer a lens can focus. Some photographers are able to get on with this lens but unfortunately I'm not one of them - I want reliability in capturing images and not frustration.

Last edited:
Decided that the current offer via the OM System eshop for the EM1 mk III, 12-40mm f2.8 and 40-150mm f2.8 was too good to pass up on. With a spare battery the total wasn’t a lot over £2,100

Looking forward to getting reacquainted with m4/3 after some time away.

It depends how fast you can move your camera - you are effectively manually focusing by moving the camera instead of the focus ring.

It is slow to autofocus - not great for beasties. I have two Canon macro lenses and they are slow too. I only use it for flowers or inanimate objects. For butterflies etc. I tend to use my long lenses.

Maro lenses rarely focus well.
I have tried most macro focusing methods including holding onto the leaf twig the invertebrate is on with one hand and the camera in the other hand at 2:1 or higher magnication.

OM-1 firmware version 1.2 now available.
.... Cheers Chris!

The OM-1 Firmware page states :

"Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved.

Enhanced stability of operation when shooting video."

Has to be done via the latest version of OM Workspace and with full battery and OM cable supplied with camera.

Good to see that OM System are updating Firmware so soon.

Last edited:
.... It's very easy to get your IBAN number and it stays with you unless you change your bankers. Link below :

I supply my IBAN to my overseas customers so they can pay GBP into my British bank account. It's a long number but easy-peasy.

You'll only be cutting off your own nose to spite your face by telling Olympus, or any other camera manufacturer, to get stuffed etc merely over supplying an IBAN number. I hope my link helps but it's up to you of course.

So I used that link again got the correct number up, took a photo of it and emailed that to them, sadly I really don't think they will sort it out and I have been very polite to them.
The camera is now back in the box as will carry on with my other cameras.

Last edited:
22 is how long my iban number is and thats what I send, still I get sorry can you confirm iban but with 22 and not 21 numbers plus GB. Sadly the camera is now back in the original box as I have had it with this lot.
Mine is 22 including the GB. Perhaps with the photo, they will sort it out.

Irritating though it is, don’t let it get to you Dave. I wonder if they have a software problem…. Or could you be putting an ‘O’ instead of a zero maybe? After the GB I have zero (I think).

Edit: I notice on that link you can check your iban too. Have you tried typing it in to see if it verifies okay? Could easily be a zero/letter O confusion.( Unless you are copying and pasting it in, in which case there should be no error).

Last edited:
Mine is 22 including the GB. Perhaps with the photo, they will sort it out.

Irritating though it is, don’t let it get to you Dave. I wonder if they have a software problem…. Or could you be putting an ‘O’ instead of a zero maybe? After the GB I have zero (I think).

OMG OMG OMG it looks like the photo did the trick, as they just replied now saying it is correct and they are very sorry for the mistake. Still have another £85 to go through yet god forbid but will send the photo for that one too.

OM-1 firmware version 1.2 now available.

.... Cheers Chris!

The OM-1 Firmware page states :

"Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved.

Enhanced stability of operation when shooting video."

Has to be done via the latest version of OM Workspace and with full battery and OM cable supplied with camera.

Good to see that OM System are updating Firmware so soon.

Thanks for the heads (y)

What is not clear......might be obvious once WS is started.......is whether WS needs an update.

But according to this page they have changed the firmware update process, where they say skip some steps when going from v1.1 to v1.2 but don't say how to skip them bearing in mind the process is (rightly?) very prescriptive requiring selection and OK etc :thinking:

Edit~ reading again on my phone the guide refers to particular steps only been seen when going from 1.1 to 1.2 doh!

Last edited:
Thanks, sadly it seems as though the ones trying to help are incompetent as the photo showed the exact number I kept sending them. Only time will tell if it all gets sorted out plus still waiting for my Free lens.
There is always a delay in sending any freebie, one of the reasons is in case you decide to return the item you purchased, whatever number of days it is now 14/28?

There is always a delay in sending any freebie, one of the reasons is in case you decide to return the item you purchased, whatever number of days it is now 14/28?

On the free lens it is just on the 14 days now, but will get back onto them next week and pray to god that don't mess that up either.

Thanks for the heads (y)

What is not clear......might be obvious once WS is started.......is whether WS needs an update.

But according to this page they have changed the firmware update process, where they say skip some steps when going from v1.1 to v1.2 but don't say how to skip them bearing in mind the process is (rightly?) very prescriptive requiring selection and OK etc :thinking:

Edit~ reading again on my phone the guide refers to particular steps only been seen when going from 1.1 to 1.2 doh!
.... Your OW (OM Workspace) needs to be the latest version - Different dot version for Mac and Windows.

You can go straight from Firmware 1.0 to 1.2. Firmware is a full re-install, hence the extra care needed to follow their instructions.

It's all on their web pages and I had a phone chat with them this morning.

Last edited:
.... Your OW (OM Workspace) needs to be the latest version - Different dot version for Mac and Windows.

You can go straight from Firmware 1.0 to 1.2. Firmware is a full re-install, hence the extra care needed to follow their instructions.

It's all on their web pages and I had a phone chat with them this morning.
Hi Robin

I wonder in your chat with them did they possibly expand on what the user might 'see' in regard to the improved C-AF with stills photography???

Hi Robin

I wonder in your chat with them did they possibly expand on what the user might 'see' in regard to the improved C-AF with stills photography???
.... We did talk about what a user might experience or see and that's what brought up the information about the performance improvement being more internal (kind of behind the scenes) rather than an easily seen more obvious improvement.

I also asked about how the C-AF improvement might also assist C-AF Tracking. Currently the UK TechSupport team don't know any more detail yet but may do so in the coming days or weeks - Tokyo always takes time to respond or inform.

Our conclusion was that it wasn't a bug or performance which needed fixing and that we should suck it and see how the OM-1 shoots after installing Firmware 1.2.

I have a full day out shooting wildlife tomorrow with Jeff @the black fox and will just carry on as normal and enjoy shooting rather than get my head bogged down with testing nano stuff. I am much more interested in trying out my new 8-25mm F/4 PRO while Jeff has a go on my big white 150-400mm weapon < Assuming he wants to - I think that when I ask him he'll say "Does a Bear s*** in the woods? ".

Last edited:
Is the latest OM Workspace v2.0.2 ?
Sorry if it is in the thread but I cannot find it.
..... It's version 2.0.2 for Windows and 2.0.1 for Mac. This info is on the Downloads page.

.... We did talk about what a user might experience or see and that's what brought up the information about the performance improvement being more internal (kind of behind the scenes) rather than an easily seen more obvious improvement.

I also asked about how the C-AF improvement might also assist C-AF Tracking. Currently the UK TechSupport team don't know any more detail yet but may do so in the coming days or weeks - Tokyo always takes time to respond or inform.

Our conclusion was that it wasn't a bug or performance which needed fixing and that we should suck it and see how the OM-1 shoots after installing Firmware 1.2.

I have a full day out shooting wildlife tomorrow with Jeff @the black fox and will just carry on as normal and enjoy shooting rather than get my head bogged down with testing nano stuff. I am much more interested in trying out my new 8-25mm F/4 PRO while Jeff has a go on my big white 150-400mm weapon < Assuming he wants to - I think that when I ask him he'll say "Does a Bear s*** in the woods? ".
Interesting, a couple of users on DPREVIEW say there does seem to be a noticeable influence though I wonder if it's improvement depends on the lens being used???

As for Jeff trying the 'big white' I fear that will be for him a "don't look Ethel....." moment. ;)

I hope you both have a great day out :)

PS was it the 8-25 used by Petr Bambousek to take some of his Pelican images?

Oh who mentioned the 8-25mm? I am currently trying to resist buying that. Visiting this thread is not a help! I must resist :ROFLMAO:
Resistance is futile. It's a lovely lens; I just have to force myself to put it on the camera instead of the 12-100mm....

Back