Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

As you know I have the OM-DE5 III it is smallish and has the top dials just where I want and need them to be.

I think they're a bit more expensive just for a GAS buy. I've looked at a few different Olys now and almost got interested in a few only to read the descriptions and find they had faults or damage.

I'll sleep on it and either try again or not tomorrow.

Thanks all :D

I’ve seen some very nice images on this thread from the Oly 100-400mm lens. What is the general consensus on this lens, or do the images speak for themselves? How is the weather sealing relative to the Pro lenses?

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

Just re-purchased after many years the Olympus 25mm F1.8 as well as the 45mm F1.8. Dirt cheap second hand in mint condition. Forgot how good, small and light these tiny lenses are after owning the 1.2 Pro Versions for some years now. The pair of them together is still only 2/3 the weight of the 25mm F1.2 pro and ideal for chucking in the bag for travelling.

If you don't like the Pen-styled bodies then the only option is one of the four variants of E-M10. They're around the same size and weight as the GX9 but feel smaller due to the lower top plate. I suggest ploughing through the DPReview reviews to see which might interest you. I've been playing with the latest Mk IV and it's really rather nice.
I’ve recently bought a mk4 em-10, purely for its diminutive stature instead of another Rx100. Although it’s a bit bigger than an RX100 it’s smaller than my mobile phone at least ‘sans’ lens.

I have been very impressed with it so far. Perhaps I haven’t had great expectations but I also own a D850 with some very nice lenses and I’m still impressed by the EM-10. I bought the 12-45 F4 pro as a one lens solution.

I then bought the 17 1.8 to give me a small camera again! Naturally I needed to pair it with the 45 1.8 and I ended up wishing I’d just bought an Rx100 as I can’t get GAS with that!

Just don’t mention the 75 1.8, truly exceptional:cool:

Summer cash back, I claimed £175 for a 12-100 on the 14the of June, it was paid into me bank on the 24th without any chasing.

That made me chuckle… but it’s not helping :LOL:

Of course we will need photographic evidence… :snaphappy:
He just sent me some insect pics that look very good

I’ve seen some very nice images on this thread from the Oly 100-400mm lens. What is the general consensus on this lens, or do the images speak for themselves? How is the weather sealing relative to the Pro lenses?

Thanks in advance.

Simon.
My go to lens simon,I think your on my contact list on Flickr check it out on there. Fully weather sealed btw .

Last edited:
Just found this unprocessed from a few years back, so spent ten minutes on it..... I am a teeny bit jealous of the OM-1 owners, but TBH the cracking EVF is about the only thing that I'd really appreciate, so a bit wasted on me (apart from the fact I'm not even close to being able to afford it!)

Olympus E-M1 & Panasonic 8-18mm - 345 seconds @ f8 ISO200

TRB - LE-SharpenAI-motion (Large).jpg

I'd take that as meaning there aren't any update for the M43 version.
I had a look and found a thread on DPR saying there is no firmware update for the MFT version......

I had a look and found a thread on DPR saying there is no firmware update for the MFT version......

The page above says there's an update?

Edit, wrong lens :LOL:

Last edited:
I’m with red robin at the moment on his hand and knees going yes yes yes. It’s either praying to Mecca or about the lens
That made me chuckle… but it’s not helping :LOL:

Of course we will need photographic evidence… :snaphappy:

.... I was on my knees crouched down to get these shots of Hogweed Bonking Beetles < The real English name for Rhagonycha fulva and I was having an orgasmic moment of pleasure using my OMS 8-25mm F/4 PRO - It really is a very versatile lens!

I wanted to shoot with onboard Focus Stacking but it was far too windy and the Beetles were jockeying around for positions as well.

HOGWEED BONKING BEETLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just found this unprocessed from a few years back, so spent ten minutes on it..... I am a teeny bit jealous of the OM-1 owners, but TBH the cracking EVF is about the only thing that I'd really appreciate, so a bit wasted on me (apart from the fact I'm not even close to being able to afford it!)

Olympus E-M1 & Panasonic 8-18mm - 345 seconds @ f8 ISO200

View attachment 359257

Beautiful, just beautiful.

FujiDave

I know exactly how you feel. I have just bought a second Oly body and I am thinking of selling all my heavy Canon kit. It will be the end of a 30 year relationship with Canon. I love that kit but its weight is too heavy for me and I turn to the Oly every time now.

.... I was on my knees crouched down to get these shots of Hogweed Bonking Beetles < The real English name for Rhagonycha fulva and I was having an orgasmic moment of pleasure using my OMS 8-25mm F/4 PRO - It really is a very versatile lens!

I wanted to shoot with onboard Focus Stacking but it was far too windy and the Beetles were jockeying around for positions as well.

Superb shots. I hadn’t realised you’d bought the lens already - thought you were borrowing it.

Not sure who was having more fun, you or the bonking beetles, but it looks like it might be 1-1 :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
There's an interesting discussion here about whether the 100-400 zoom is basically the Sigma lens re-engineered for m43.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4501887

Elsewhere I've seen it suggested that it may even have been made for Olympus by Sigma. Of course this is all just internet chat but there may be some truth in it.
.... Quite frankly I wouldn't believe everything you read on dpreview and especially in their discussions - They tend to attract people who just want attention.

There is bound to be some similarity in any product designed for a specific use by several different companies - Just look at the standard family car offered by different brands which have gone through the same wind tunnel development etc etc etc - They all look the same.

Anyway, #whocares

ARCTIC TERNS by Robin Procter, on Flickr

With Special Thanks to Jeff @the black fox for suggesting we check out where the Terns were.

Right Place at the Right Time with Lady Luck by my side (not Jeff dressed in drag!).

Last edited:
Is it possible to make the focus points more visible on Olympus yet as I often struggle to see where it is without having to half press the shutter to illuminate it green?

Is it possible to make the focus points more visible on Olympus yet as I often struggle to see where it is without having to half press the shutter to illuminate it green?

Don't know if this helps, but I have all mine in Red yesterday was a bright sunny day and had no trouble at all.

Don't know if this helps, but I have all mine in Red yesterday was a bright sunny day and had no trouble at all.
I can't find an option to change it on the EM10 II, maybe it's only on the newer ones? Where did you find it in the menus?

I can't find an option to change it on the EM10 II, maybe it's only on the newer ones? Where did you find it in the menus?

On mine it is as follows.

Settings, then scroll across and then down through the letters.
D3 then Grid colour settings.

Last edited:
.... If you shoot Back Button Focus and leave the shutter button just to read exposure and fire the shutter, doesn't that help you?

On mine I have most of the things set in the OK button, as it seems quicker for me.
Likewise, but it doesn't seem to be an option for me, I'll look again based on where you found it on yours (y)
.... If you shoot Back Button Focus and leave the shutter button just to read exposure and fire the shutter, doesn't that help you?
Thanks, but it's no different to activating half press of the shutter doing that, it means activating the focus for it to flash up. On other cameras the box is much more visible all the time, plus then illuminates during focus (y)

Thanks, but it's no different to activating half press of the shutter doing that, it means activating the focus for it to flash up. On other cameras the box is much more visible all the time, plus then illuminates during focus (y)
.... Then it must be totally down to which Olympus / OM System camera body you use. On the OM-1 the AF pts pattern you select is always visible but nicely feint and the green box focus points illumination is just right, in my opinion.

On mine it is as follows.

Settings, then scroll across and then down through the letters.
D3 then Grid colour settings.
Not an option for me unfortunately, only the option to turn grid on and off. Does this not make the grid lines a different colour as well as the AF point though?

Back