Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

It has been confirmed in the Plan to Rebuild that you can meet up with ONE person not from your household when outdoors. The same applies even if they are part of you extended family. So no more than TWO person gatherings unless ALL are from the same household. Social distancing must be observed. Travel is not restricted in any way other than it must be within your own country. Fines for none compliance start at £100 up from £60. There is more clarity of face coverings, public transport etc.
Wales, Scotland & Norn Iron may have different rules. Please check if applicable.
And this is why people are confused. Can someone clarify are the rules actually law and if so have the Welsh government brought in different laws? or does "English" law not apply at all in Wales... I'm courious because if they dont theen most of the criminal laws wont apply either. :)

Not sure the relaxation is a good idea, I'm infected but don't know it, I 'm frustrated so drive from the south coast to The Lakes cos I can, I fill up the car there at a local petrol station infecting the assistant. Previously there were no cases in the area. I drive back south whilst the poor assistant passes on the virus to hundreds of other Lakeland residents. Current Government relaxations does not seem like a well thought strategy.

And this is why people are confused. Can someone clarify are the rules actually law and if so have the Welsh government brought in different laws? or does "English" law not apply at all in Wales... I'm courious because if they dont theen most of the criminal laws wont apply either. :)

I believe this is an emergency law that by law must be reviewed every 21 days, I would imagine when the law was made it allowed for local amendments for devolved parliaments to set. This is not fact as much as how I have interpreted what few facts I have heard so don't take as gospel.

You can be fined between £100 & £3,600 for breaches and that is fact.

Not sure the relaxation is a good idea, I'm infected but don't know it, I 'm frustrated so drive from the south coast to The Lakes cos I can, I fill up the car there at a local petrol station infecting the assistant. Previously there were no cases in the area. I drive back south whilst the poor assistant passes on the virus to hundreds of other Lakeland residents. Current Government relaxations does not seem like a well thought strategy.

Same would happen if you were to fill up at the local supermarket while out shopping for essentials as it is your closest shop but too far to walk there & back. Unless you stay at home, get essentials delivered and the driver gets infected by touching the gate the postie left open and you closed to stop it banging. The driver passes it on and so does the postie who is infected the next morning when he delivers another bill.

So should we not tighten up restrictions? It's obvious they are not tight enough as you got infected under them. I know make everyone stay at home posties, delivery driver, nurses, doctors, care workers, supermarket workers EVERYBODY then there will be no new infections, well not after everyone starved to death!

This situation is totally new to everyone, even to the 'experts'. Mistakes will be made whatever is done. We just have to hope that more things go right than go wrong, unfortunately if mistakes are made people die.

I have said before there is less chance of me getting or passing on the virus if I drive 70 mile round trip to get the exercise in a remote area than taking my exercise close to home. I have followed the rule and will continue to follow the rule Wednesday onward. I will take care and stay safe as I don't want to die. That action alone will protect others.

The 'drive anywhere' in England doesn't make much sense to me. Going from drive only short distances to drive anywhere is England is a huge change. It needed to be a short distance, say up to 20-50 miles, and slowly increased over the next few weeks/months. The same goes for the other restrictions we have had.

I saw a programme earlier that had a representative from the Lake District on saying they were now expecting a deluge of visitors but they warned visitors that nothing is open so there aren't the tourist boats, shops, cafe's, restaurants or the like open so its pretty pointless going. I can foresee there being a huge number of photographers in honey pot locations throughout the Peak District and Lake District all standing 2m apart.

I thought Wales had made everything law whereas England left it more as guidelines (I could be wrong of course). Police in Wales seem to have taken a harder stance like setting up checkpoints on roads leading to places like Pembrokeshire. Police in England don't seem to have done the same, probably after seeing the bad press Derbyshire Police got for the Curbar Edge drone video.

The 'drive anywhere' in England doesn't make much sense to me. Going from drive only short distances to drive anywhere is England is a huge change. It needed to be a short distance, say up to 20-50 miles, and slowly increased over the next few weeks/months.

IMHO either they keep driving rules the same, most people either did not drive or drove a short distance born out by the low volume of traffic making it relatively easy to police or they allow unlimited as allowing 50 miles will increase traffic to the point where it would be very very difficult to police. Let's hope people are sensible and take a picnic if they go out and go somewhere remote.

I thought Wales had made everything law whereas England left it more as guidelines (I could be wrong of course). Police in Wales seem to have taken a harder stance like setting up checkpoints on roads leading to places like Pembrokeshire. Police in England don't seem to have done the same, probably after seeing the bad press Derbyshire Police got for the Curbar Edge drone video.

As fines can be and have been issued I assume it was made law in England as AFAIK they can't fine for breaching guidelines. Each police force area advise their officers on how to police it and many advise their officers to use discretion of rather than blind obedience to the law.

Snip:

As far as I'm aware the 'guidelines' themselves were made into law in Wales, and fair play to them for that too. I think the England 'bad press' climax was probably when a certain regional police chief apparently implied that he might possibly instruct his officers to start searching through people's shopping trollies to determine which purchases were essential and which were not.

I'm a law abiding citizen but even I found myself asking who's going to just stand there and let a police constable root through their weekly shop and arbitrarily (in the absence of any specific legal definition) decide what's essential?! Quite rightly, Her Majesty's Government spoke out to clarify the situation and inform the relevant police chief that was not going to happen!

Then we come to the other extreme, people totally (or selectively) ignoring the guidelines/law. The party goers, the family barbecues, the visiting of friends, etc. etc., which seems to have become more and more prevalent lately. Now, in my opinion, that's where the police, the law, and appropriate fines should apply.

Going to do your weekly food shop and buying some booze, or a bar of chocolate, or a tub of ice cream, or a magazine at the same time while you are in the same shop is not a crime, but going specifically to a DIY superstore for nothing more than a look round, some paint for the house or some plants for the garden should be! Why? It's non-essential, that's why! If the garden fence blew down or the toilet cistern sprang a leak then fair enough, go and get the stuff to fix it... but going out purely to buy some bedding plants or some paint brushes to decorate the kitchen is not an essential repair.. or an essential journey!

Let's face it, some people have been taking the p**s, ignoring advice and not applying common sense. I was annoyed today in the supermarket while doing my weekly shop.. there was a woman rummaging extensively through the packets of fresh-baked bread rolls, seemingly trying to find the ones that were baked the way she liked them! There she was, handling goodness knows how many of them in the process. Yes, they're wrapped in thin plastic sheet, but that plastic sheet is probably now coated in whatever she'd picked up on her gloved fingers during the rest of her shop there. Yes, she was wearing plastic gloves, what an irony... I'm all right Jack! Stuff the rest of you!

Then there was the woman who thought it a good idea to put her child inside the shopping trolley. No, not on the little fold down seat, actually inside the trolley itself like an item of shopping, where it was free to touch, cough, sneeze and dribble all over the inside of the shopping trolley to its heart's content! God help the person who got that trolley next if that child was infected, anything touching the inside of that trolley might have had the virus on it afterwards.

So there we go, just a brief snapshot of what's actually happening, and that's before Wednesday's relaxation of the guidelines.

Last edited:
I have just read that in England the guidelines were issued first but they were largely ignored from the start. It was decided to make them law. It seems the guidelines go further than the law and it is only the laws the police can and should legally enforce.

I presume that the difference between a guideline and a law is something like this (example only)

Guideline: Stay at home, only go out if it is essential.
Same thing in law.: You can go out for one form of exercise a day.

so in the above example the guideline is advising you to stay at home but the law says you may go out.

It also suggests that they are temporary laws as you can't be prosecuted for not obeying a guideline (and you can be fined for several breaches) and by law they have to be reviewed every 21 days. The fact is the police use discretion when applying ANY law on a case by case basis.

I was annoyed today in the supermarket while doing my weekly shop.. there was a woman rummaging extensively through the packets of fresh-baked bread rolls, seemingly trying to find the ones that were baked the way she liked them! There she was, handling goodness knows how many of them in the process. Yes, they're wrapped in thin plastic sheet, but that plastic sheet is probably now coated in whatever she'd picked up on her gloved fingers during the rest of her shop there. Yes, she was wearing plastic gloves, what an irony... I'm all right Jack! Stuff the rest of you!

Then there was the woman who thought it a good idea to put her child inside the shopping trolley. No, not on the little fold down seat, actually inside the trolley itself like an item of shopping, where it was free to touch, cough, sneeze and dribble all over the inside of the shopping trolley to its heart's content! God help the person who got that trolley next if that child was infected, anything touching the inside of that trolley might have had the virus on it afterwards.

So there we go, just a brief snapshot of what's actually happening, and that's before Wednesday's relaxation of the guidelines.

I agree, common sense just doesn't come into play for most people.
I had to go to the local Post Office/Shop yesterday, first shop visit since the lockdown (we're self-isolating), took my mask and alcohol hand sanitiser and in the car outside the PO donned the mask and used the hand sanitiser as I wondered what different precautions I would have to face inside, at least I probably won't be the only one wearing a mask.
Nothing, nada, zilch ... all oldies (like me) inside, nobody with a mask, nobody aware of what to do just an air of uncertainty all round but especially when trying to pass to get out!
Picked up the one item I needed, used the contactless card and left, re-applying hand sanitiser in the car and washing hands and item I bought when I got home.
What will change after tomorrow?
There won't be anything to change if my one experience is anything to go by!

On the plus side TomTom are today sending out an email to encourage me to get a new satnav ... so I won't get lost if I decide to drive to the Lake District! :LOL:

Last edited:
I contacted my local RSPB office via e mail yesterday afternoon to enquire about access to the open spaces they own/run - I was informed NO RSPB sites would be open, despite Boris saying to travel if you wish to open spaces - the RSPB control all the open space around my home town, including- Greylake - Ham Wall & Swell woods

I cancelled my 15 year long subscription to RSPB for both the with and myself - sad times

Les

I contacted my local RSPB office via e mail yesterday afternoon to enquire about access to the open spaces they own/run - I was informed NO RSPB sites would be open, despite Boris saying to travel if you wish to open spaces - the RSPB control all the open space around my home town, including- Greylake - Ham Wall & Swell woods

I cancelled my 15 year long subscription to RSPB for both the with and myself - sad times

Les

I had an email from them saying they needed to consider volunteers as well as visitors but also that many species had started breeding near footpaths etc and they would need to prepare before things could re-open. I sort of get that and although it is a shame and, like you, I would have liked to use the opportunity to go to Slimbridge (not RSPB) or the Levels RSPB Reserves.
I have little faith that people in general will exercise sufficient care, at the outbreak on my last visit to Slimbridge, visitors were ignoring the abundant hand sanitiser and crowding the hides like there was no tomorrow (maybe that's not the best term to use in the circumstances!).

I had an email from them saying they needed to consider volunteers as well as visitors but also that many species had started breeding near footpaths etc and they would need to prepare before things could re-open. I sort of get that and although it is a shame and, like you, I would have liked to use the opportunity to go to Slimbridge (not RSPB) or the Levels RSPB Reserves.
I have little faith that people in general will exercise sufficient care, at the outbreak on my last visit to Slimbridge, visitors were ignoring the abundant hand sanitiser and crowding the hides like there was no tomorrow (maybe that's not the best term to use in the circumstances!).

I followed my e mail with a phone call, seems the RSPB will stay closed for the foreseeable future, I would avoid the hides around all the local sites- which I know very well - most of my shots come from none hide locations and usually I don't see anyone :)

My subscription is cancelled direct debit stopped, the RSPB lady I spoke to said they expected lots of members to follow suit and withdraw financial support after they posted a none opening statement on the RSPB website

I paid my subscription x 2 for the wife and myself for 15 years, never missed - but not anymore for me - I still as yet support Slimbridge and maybe one day I can get back there

Maybe see you there Roger :)

Les

Les
Why did you cancel?

I followed my e mail with a phone call, seems the RSPB will stay closed for the foreseeable future, I would avoid the hides around all the local sites- which I know very well - most of my shots come from none hide locations and usually I don't see anyone :)

Do they actually own the main footpath running alongside the canal at Ham Wall?
I was under the impression that was a public path/right of way or something like that.

Do they actually own the main footpath running alongside the canal at Ham Wall?
I was under the impression that was a public path/right of way or something like that.

No they don't its a public bridleway / Cycle path from Street to Bridgwater - so technically they cannot prevent people from using it, however not a lot of vantage points for Bird photography along there :( & the car parks are locked shut

the car parks are locked shut

That's will be the biggest obstacle ... does the one on the opposite side of the road close, I don't remember seeing any gate.

That's will be the biggest obstacle ... does the one on the opposite side of the road close, I don't remember seeing any gate.

Heavy chains across the opening , at Greylake gates locked with a chain and padlock and at Swell woods they cut down a large conifer to block vehicle access - I joke not :(

Snip:

As far as I'm aware the 'guidelines' themselves were made into law in Wales, and fair play to them for that too. I think the England 'bad press' climax was probably when a certain regional police chief apparently implied that he might possibly instruct his officers to start searching through people's shopping trollies to determine which purchases were essential and which were not.

I'm a law abiding citizen but even I found myself asking who's going to just stand there and let a police constable root through their weekly shop and arbitrarily (in the absence of any specific legal definition) decide what's essential?! Quite rightly, Her Majesty's Government spoke out to clarify the situation and inform the relevant police chief that was not going to happen!

Then we come to the other extreme, people totally (or selectively) ignoring the guidelines/law. The party goers, the family barbecues, the visiting of friends, etc. etc., which seems to have become more and more prevalent lately. Now, in my opinion, that's where the police, the law, and appropriate fines should apply.

Going to do your weekly food shop and buying some booze, or a bar of chocolate, or a tub of ice cream, or a magazine at the same time while you are in the same shop is not a crime, but going specifically to a DIY superstore for nothing more than a look round, some paint for the house or some plants for the garden should be! Why? It's non-essential, that's why! If the garden fence blew down or the toilet cistern sprang a leak then fair enough, go and get the stuff to fix it... but going out purely to buy some bedding plants or some paint brushes to decorate the kitchen is not an essential repair.. or an essential journey!

Let's face it, some people have been taking the p**s, ignoring advice and not applying common sense. I was annoyed today in the supermarket while doing my weekly shop.. there was a woman rummaging extensively through the packets of fresh-baked bread rolls, seemingly trying to find the ones that were baked the way she liked them! There she was, handling goodness knows how many of them in the process. Yes, they're wrapped in thin plastic sheet, but that plastic sheet is probably now coated in whatever she'd picked up on her gloved fingers during the rest of her shop there. Yes, she was wearing plastic gloves, what an irony... I'm all right Jack! Stuff the rest of you!

My neighbours have different family every day, have done every day since this started, I'm not talking fred dropping off food, I mean a few cars loads and a BBQ in the garden almost every night Another neighbour seems to be running a guest house at his house.
Like you I've seen people in the supermarket being silly, one was picking up every jar of gold blend, reading the label and putting it back (the same roast not different ones) what he was hoping to find different I don't know. Another was turning all the cans of food so the labels faced out. The staff need to be doing more, my local tesco is more like a community centre for mencap than a shop.... I'll get my coat.

The staff need to be doing more, my local tesco is more like a community centre for mencap than a shop.... I'll get my coat.

Leave them alone. Most supermarket staff have been slaving their backsides off throughout this crisis and are, in effect, unrecognised frontline workers- with none of their benefits.

I can't imagine the levels of stress that they've been going through.

Leave them alone. Most supermarket staff have been slaving their backsides off throughout this crisis and are, in effect, unrecognised frontline workers- with none of their benefits.

I can't imagine the levels of stress that they've been going through.

Exactly this.

My eldest girl works at a retail park in Chester, over the last 3 weeks she's been spat at and shoved with a trolley by people who don't think they should queue up to maintain social distancing.

GC

Any one who has worked through the last few weeks deserves respect, not sure i would have worked.

Any one who has worked through the last few weeks deserves respect, not sure i would have worked.

I see two British Transport rail workers have died of the virus after being spat at and coughed over by someone claiming to be infected :(

The staff need to be doing more, my local tesco is more like a community centre for mencap than a shop.... I'll get my coat.
My partner works for a supermarket starts work at 2am to pick peoples shopping for them a lot of them who are actually fit and healthy and could go and shop for themselves, they don't get any PPE and social distancing is pretty much impossible.
Stupid comment but glad you felt at home in there.

Where a law applies depends on how it's drafted, and whether it involves laws that have been devolved to one of the devolved Governments.

A lot of law is drafted to apply to "England and Wales" so its common across both countries. Scotland and NI are more likely to have laws that are country specific. For example, criminal Law in Scotland is very different from criminal law in England and Wales.

However, in the case of the Regulations relating to your question, they come in four versions because the powers to enforce these particular regulations lie with the devolved governments

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Wales) Regulations 2020

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Northern Ireland) Regulations 2020

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Scotland) Regulations 2020

The contents of these regulations have been slightly different since the day they became law, but with only relatively small differences until now.

These regulations only contain what can be legally enforced, and the government "guidance" on best practises to minimise the risk from the virus has always "asked" us to go beyond the legal minimum.

When we get told the "rules" the legal requirements and guidance on best practise tend to get rolled into a single set of "rules" that will both keep you legal and minimise the risks to society from the virus. So if you live in Wales, take your lead from the Welsh Government.

As always I'm not a lawyer, so if someone more knowledgeable wants to refine (correct) what I've said, please feel free.

I cant see many watching the short videos or reading short articles let alone a 50 page document. Many will get it off Facebook but with many facts completely altered as it will likely be people’s own opinions being shared.

But do you have to read a 50 page document? Well, no you don't as much of it wont apply to you/me.

I was interested in if we were allowed to travel and it took me seconds to find the relevant section.

There's even an index.

Last edited:
In England if I go to a park I can sunbathe. Lets assume that another person sits 2 metres from me to sunbathe, that is OK. If a third person sits 2 metres away from both of us ( A sort of exposure triangle :coat:) that is also OK.
However if we talk to each other then it is a gathering of more than 2 people and is not allowed, or is just sitting 2 metres from a lot of people not allowed?

However if we talk to each other then it is a gathering of more than 2 people and is not allowed, or is just sitting 2 metres from a lot of people not allowed?

But do you have to read a 50 page document? Well, no you don't as much of it wont apply to you/me.

I was interested in if we were allowed to travel and it took me seconds to find the relevant section.

There's even an index.
I may need to rephrase that. You may not need to read the whole document but how many will search for the document then reference a particular section like you have? I doubt many will as many go to such lengths as will likely go by information shared on Facebook, which isn’t usually is that great hence the new phenomenon of ‘fake news’.

The attention span of most of the British public isn’t great, everything neeeds to be short and concise for most to understand what they can and can’t do. Detailed documentation is great for the few that will be inclined to reference it but not everyone will be inclined to do so. I know of people that for a couple of weeks have been going beyond what is now allowed even after the recent changes.

The NPCC seems to contradict the governments Plan to rebuild.

NPCC

People are still not allowed to leave or be outside of their homes without a reasonable excuse. The Regulations update the list of examples of reasonable excuses, but officers’ judgement and discretion are key

PtR

people can now also spend time outdoors (it does not say it has to be for exercise)

It also omits the fact the PtR clearly states People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance and does not specify a reason to drive to the open space is required.

I may need to rephrase that. You may not need to read the whole document but how many will search for the document then reference a particular section like you have? I doubt many will as many go to such lengths as will likely go by information shared on Facebook, which isn’t usually is that great hence the new phenomenon of ‘fake news’.

The attention span of most of the British public isn’t great, everything neeeds to be short and concise for most to understand what they can and can’t do. Detailed documentation is great for the few that will be inclined to reference it but not everyone will be inclined to do so. I know of people that for a couple of weeks have been going beyond what is now allowed even after the recent changes.

I've seen and heard many references to the impossibly complex 50 page document and I do wonder what the problem is.

There are those on this site seemingly complaining about a complete lack of guidance and unfathomable confusion and also those seemingly complaining that there's too much advice and it's all too complex too.

I may be wrong but I think it's more that some just want to complain and heckle. Maybe because it's their hobby or maybe because they hate Boris and the Conservatives on site (I keep thinking what Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott would do...) and perhaps they feel like this because of Brexit or for historical reasons, I don't know. As (until Gordon Brown) a lifelong Labour supporter I still feel that I have to remain objective and before critisising the Government too much I try to assess what they're doing against the quality of the counter argument and often I find the counter argument lacking. As I said in another thread I don't think it's enough to just heckle from the crowd, I think any critisism or alternatives have to be held to the same standards of scrutiny otherwise we're in danger of just listening to mindless noise.

As to the lengths I went to. I'll admit they were extreme. I watched the broadcast and listened to what was said and I googled the info. which took seconds to find. Seconds. I downloaded it and I have it on my pc.

I must be some sort of genius.

As for the public.

I continue to be amazed at what I'm seeing, reading and hearing around me. I'd never have thought that the British political class, media and public would have acted as they have during this current crisis. You couldn't make it up.

And one last thing... All the controversy over Stay Alert. I believe the French have a very similar phrase which has as far as I know proved uncontroversial. Could this be the time at which the British have lost not only their stiff upper lip but their common sense and composure too. We're now out panicking the French.

Last edited:
It also omits the fact the PtR clearly states People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance and does not specify a reason to drive to the open space is required.

Possibly because it makes no mention of this in the Regulations?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/2020-05-13

But as far as I can make out all references to "travel" have been removed and it's purely about reasonable excuses to be away from the place you live.

If it wasn't for how my family would react I'd go out for a bit but as it is I'll wait a bit longer until the situation eases a bit more.

Possibly because it makes no mention of this in the Regulations?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/2020-05-13

But as far as I can make out all references to "travel" have been removed and it's purely about reasonable excuses to be away from the place you live.

Yeah, no mention of travel but it does say

"5) For the purposes of paragraph (2)(ba), “public open space” includes—
(a)land laid out as a public garden or used for the purpose of recreation by members of the public;
(b)land which is “open country” as defined in section 59(2) of the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949, as read with section 16 of the Countryside Act 1968;
(c)land which is “access land” for the purposes of Part 1 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (see section 1(1) of that Act).]"

and for the most part open country and access land are some distance away from the majority of homes and "to visit a public open space for the purposes of open-air recreation to promote their physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing— " covers a lot more activities than just exercise (walking, running & cycling) and will therefore cover most of my need to go out and about.

Thanks for the link @myotis

Yeah, no mention of travel but it does say

"5) For the purposes of paragraph (2)(ba), “public open space” includes—
(a)land laid out as a public garden or used for the purpose of recreation by members of the public;
(b)land which is “open country” as defined in section 59(2) of the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949, as read with section 16 of the Countryside Act 1968;
(c)land which is “access land” for the purposes of Part 1 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (see section 1(1) of that Act).]"

and for the most part open country and access land are some distance away from the majority of homes and "to visit a public open space for the purposes of open-air recreation to promote their physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing— " covers a lot more activities than just exercise (walking, running & cycling) and will therefore cover most of my need to go out and about.

Thanks for the link @myotis

Yes, it seems that "travel" is no longer a consideration in itself, you just need a reasonable excuse to be out of the house, which now covers more than it did (In England anyway, not the same in the rest of the country)

It does seem a bit easy to justify being out. From what I've read "I've been stuck in for weeks and I just needed to get out for a few minutes walk in the open air for my own sanity" could be enough. For people using good common sense and just going into sparsely peopled places it maybe should be.

Back