Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

I’m well aware of that, but at this moment in time I can only report on my own situation. Things may change and probably will, and if people cancel then I shall of course honour that and offer a full refund of any monies paid.

George.

Good for you George, The agent I booked with flatly refuses to re-imburse the £1,200 I paid for a 2 week stay in a rented cottage - just offered to transfer me to a later date :)

Been on the Welsh news basically self isolating tourists not wanted ATM thanks.

Took dog to vets couple of days ago, chairs in waiting room 2 metres apart, option of staying in car outside and when vet is ready he comes out and takes dog into building.

Had to cancel hols so contacted kennels and hotel and full refund of deposit on both, think people need to remember which companies give good service at this time.

Last edited:
Agreed Jan, Having just spoken to my Holiday rental company on Mull, NO REFUNDS however: I can transfer to a later date- same cottage for 2 weeks, I'm looking at October now, hopefully things may have stabilised somewhat by then :)

We've only paid a small deposit so far so I've no doubt we'll be cancelling before the balance is due. The people where we stay know us - we've been going there for years - so hopefully they'll just put us down for the same 2 weeks next year. We're not fussed about losing our deposit. We'd rather they kept it and are still there next year.

We've only paid a small deposit so far so I've no doubt we'll be cancelling before the balance is due. The people where we stay know us - we've been going there for years - so hopefully they'll just put us down for the same 2 weeks next year. We're not fussed about losing our deposit. We'd rather they kept it and are still there next year.

I hope it goes well for Jan- I on the other hand had to pay the full amount 2 months before travelling :( £1,200

I have just come off the telephone with the Agent on Mull and re-arranged my booking to 17th -31st October inclusive, should be nice to spend Autumn on Mull, hopefully we will have seen the worst of this Covid 19 by then

Les :)

I was in town earlier, no choice, provisions were required ... and apart from it being a little quieter than usual , it seemed like any other weekday. Apart from the odd person wearing a mask or those stupid rubber gloves - the gloves aren't stupid, sorry, the people wearing them are! Rubber gloves are designed to be worn and disposed of after single use, not the same pair worn for the day! If someone is serving you in a store with the same pair of gloves they used for the last customer, you have the right to request they change them [just as you always have at say, a deli counter] - or just ask they remove them and wash their bloody hands. Also a scarf over your face is doing naff all to prevent a virus

Has self-isolation affected your mental health already ? Reading your post I ‘see’ an embittered old man. Why not post something optimistic ? We don’t need ‘keyboard warriors’ lashing out at all and sundry in the present climate. How do you know wearing a scarf doesn‘t help ? more to the point why do you care. Are you always this belligerent or is it a ‘sign of the times’ Come on, try being cheerful it’s infectious and very necessary at this time.

Has self-isolation affected your mental health already ? Reading your post I ‘see’ an embittered old man. Why not post something optimistic ? We don’t need ‘keyboard warriors’ lashing out at all and sundry in the present climate. How do you know wearing a scarf doesn‘t help ? more to the point why do you care. Are you always this belligerent or is it a ‘sign of the times’ Come on, try being cheerful it’s infectious and very necessary at this time.

:plus1:

Yet here you are posting like a right grumpy numpty keyboard warrior.. I think its you need to get your fragile mind checked. You're a little slow with your nagging too, I've stopped giving a damn about all of this already so save your whiney moans for someone who might actually take you seriously. If you want cheery, then get TF over posts you're reading online and stop crying like they're aimed directly at you. Talk about snowflake

Can you not come up with your own whine? +1 the whingiest post seen on here in ages says it all about what you might cry about too though.

Holy s***, my post was harmless, but also legit. Dumb people covering up with scarves, lol, it doesn't do a thing. And if you don't know why it is useless for yourself than save the lecture until you get educated. I think you're all suffering cabin fever, go for a f'ing walk ladies jesus

Last edited:
Yet here you are posting like a right grumpy numpty keyboard warrior.. I think its you need to get your fragile mind checked. You're a little slow with your nagging too, I've stopped giving a damn about all of this already so save your whiney moans for someone who might actually take you seriously. If you want cheery, then get TF over posts you're reading online and stop crying like they're aimed directly at you. Talk about snowflake

There you go again. :D

He's always been like that...:LOL:

I
I managed to get a shop done for Mum, great to be able to go to her small local Tesco go in put my hand over my mouth cough loudly and get on with a shop as for my Mum I will get it for her. My cough is an old smokers cough ( stopped smoking ages ago ) does come in handy to move folk.

They'll be fine so long as they keep their scarf on

I

They'll be fine so long as they keep their scarf on

It`s one of those really chesty coughs I have had since I was about 18 or 20, so as soon as I saw how busy Tesco was a very nice loud chesty cough made a lot just get right out of my way... The things we do for out loved ones are great (y)

You make jokes about mental health and think you deserve better response? Your posts says way more about you than my sensible one does about me I tells ya

Tut tut, be careful your going to get yourself banned again. I can’t wait.:p

I didn't do anything ban worthy, but making jokes about mental health is very much frowned upon, I'll save you the time reporting and do it myself how about that?

:ty:

Can you not come up with your own whine? +1 the whingiest post seen on here in ages says it all about what you might cry about too though.

Holy s***, my post was harmless, but also legit. Dumb people covering up with scarves, lol, it doesn't do a thing. And if you don't know why it is useless for yourself than save the lecture until you get educated. I think you're all suffering cabin fever, go for a f'ing walk ladies jesus
The shop assistant was probably told to wear gloves to be fair, so not nice to be calling them dumb.

This is NOT a dig at anyone here so please don`t think it is.
Mental Health IS very serious and I can tell you now I have done the lot as the saying goes, been there done that and got the T shirt. I could tell folk stories that would make them cringe about my journey from a boy to an adult not been big headed at all but I`ve done the lot some I`m ashamed of and some not. But to make jokes of Mental Health is imo a very sad thing to do and say, as the person who does take the bang out of order Mental Health jokes needs to seriously LOOK at THEM selfs. To me it`s a BIG NO NO, as to why folk do it, are they scared of the unknown.

Last edited:
The shop assistant was probably told to wear gloves to be fair, so not nice to be calling them dumb.

Wrong, I said the people wearing scarves thinking it helped were. Shop assistants were told it was an option to wear the gloves [I asked] - they are supposed to change them after every transaction, or they are rendered useless.

Wrong, I said the people wearing scarves thinking it helped were. Shop assistants were told it was an option to wear the gloves [I asked] - they are supposed to change them after every transaction, or they are rendered useless.
Only useless from your point of view, but not theirs.
I'm sure they're not wearing them for you're benefit.

Apart from the odd person wearing a mask or those stupid rubber gloves - the gloves aren't stupid, sorry, the people wearing them are!
Ahem....

Only useless from your point of view, but not theirs.
I'm sure they're not wearing them for you're benefit.

No, they are useless as they carry germs just like your hands do, it doesn't matter that you simply want to disagree, the fact is unless you change gloves regularly, between points of contact, you may as well not bother. Look up the 5 moments of hand hygiene

Am I going blind here? can you highlight the part where I say shop assistants are dumb? looks to me like I said the gloves were. I don't expect shop assistants to be healthcare trained before all this, but they need to learn the basics asap

Last edited:
Am I going blind here? can you highlight the part where I say shop assistants are dumb? looks to me like I said the gloves were. I don't expect shop assistants to be healthcare trained before all this, but they need to learn the basics asap
You said they were stupid, not the gloves, the people wearing them.

those stupid rubber gloves - the gloves aren't stupid, sorry, the people wearing them are!

Maybe you are blind....

Last edited:
You said they were stupid

Again, I said the gloves were stupid - [if not used correctly] - I think that is all the explanation needed

What does it matter to you what I say or think either way? When you're out and about you make your own decisions and form your own opinion, really up to you what you deem acceptable. But I'd imagine you wouldn't like to be served food by someone using the same pair of gloves since start of the day

Again, I said the gloves were stupid - [if not used correctly] - I think that is all the explanation needed

What does it matter to you what I say or think either way? When you're out and about you make your own decisions and form your own opinion, really up to you what you deem acceptable. But I'd imagine you wouldn't like to be served food by someone using the same pair of gloves since start of the day

You can't even read what you wrote.

You can't even read what you wrote.

No, you can't. But I'd suggest not letting that fact ruin your day. I'm certain when you do leave the house you'll not be stressing over something I said, but subliminally maybe it'll make you a little more cautious

No, you can't. But I'd suggest not letting that fact ruin your day. I'm certain when you do leave the house you'll not be stressing over something I said, but subliminally maybe it'll make you a little more cautious
Always got to get the last word in....
And always right....

Last edited:
Always got to get the last word in....

You relise this is precisely what you are doing here? You haven't had anything to dispute regarding my posts bar I said wearing gloves was dumb .... it is, when they're not changing them. You can sit there huffing and puffing about it all day not going to change.

You relise this is precisely what you are doing here? You haven't had anything to dispute regarding my posts bar I said wearing gloves was dumb .... it is, when they're not changing them. You can sit there huffing and puffing about it all day not going to change.
You certainly can't change what you wrote.....and can't admit you said the people wearing the gloves were stupid.

Last edited:
You certainly can't change what you wrote.....and can't admit you said the people wearing the gloves were stupid.

They are, if they're not changing them regular, but I didn't specify shop assistants, people in general. Good of you to only nit pick what suits, but ignore the sensible facts.

They are, if they're not changing them regular, but I didn't specify shop assistants, people in general. Good of you to only nit pick what suits, but ignore the sensible facts.
I agree with what you are saying above, but that's not what you wrote earlier.
Might be what you meant, but not what you wrote.
Forgive me for taking what you wrote, as what you wrote and not what you meant.
My fault entirely....
I'm moving on now...life is too precious. :wave: :)

I agree with what you are saying above, but that's not what you wrote earlier.
Might be what you meant, but not what you wrote.
Forgive me for taking what you wrote, as what you wrote and not what you meant.
My fault entirely....
I'm moving on now...life is too precious. :wave: :)

It's pretty obvious Bob, that my original post was more letting off steam, this thread seemed to have become just that - a place to vent about this whole mess of a situation. I call people 'stupid' for doing silly things all the time, it doesn't mean anything more, I call myself stupid at times if that helps? I'm sure you already think this ... But for someone to call me out and use mental health as a weapon is low and I just can't stand for that so yeah I get a little rantier

On this whole CV thing, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, so when I see people being careless it riles me up. Like those wearing the same gloves all day, they are putting people at risk more so than if they just practiced good hand hygiene. I posted way earlier about how compromised my Dad is atm, the thought of someone serving him using gloves they've done god knows what else with worries me, so yes I think the people doing so are 'stupid' right now.

Anyway, expecting a delivery which should see me up off my rear here and out shooting, so I am also done here.

I had to do my monthly supermarket shop today (overdue by a week, so almost nothing left in my fridge or cupboard). There were huge gaps on the shelves where there should have been tinned goods like baked beans and soup. No chance of any rice or pasta (luckily I still have some left), the frozen food section was empty apart from the occasional lonely item (such as a lobster at £9!), so no chance of frozen chips, veg, fish, or anything like that. As for loo rolls, tissues and kitchen roll, not a single item left on the shelves!

I saw one woman grab a cardboard tray 2/3 full of tins of spam/luncheon meat and put it in her trolley. She heard me sigh loudly and said "Did you want some?". To which I replied "No, but someone else might!" - I doubt there was much conscience there to prick though! I would love to have seen her face when she got knocked back at the checkout and was only allowed 2 or 3 of those tins, as the Supermarket had put limits on quantities!

Once finished, I had a chat with the lady on the checkout till about what was going on. She confirmed that the spam-raider would have been unlucky as the tills would have detected and blocked any bulk buying! I said I'd waited until 8am before getting there as the first hour was for over 70s and vulnerable groups. She told me she thought that had been something of a farce, as some of the older people had apparently been accompanied by younger ones (presumably buying what they wanted too!), with a long queue there at opening time.

There's me telling my 80 year old mother she mustn't go shopping from now on in case she catches the virus, and I'd do her shopping for her instead. However, it appears some people might have taken an alternative approach, and been using their elderly relative/s as a 'front' so they could grab what was on the shelves before the shop was open to under 70s? If so, I think that's appallingly selfish behaviour. I suppose they'll be blaming everyone else (including the government) if their elderly relative catches the virus and dies, of course it could never be their own selfish fault, could it? Once again, however, I don't think there'd be much conscience there to prick if they're pulling tricks like that! :mad:

Last edited:
There's me telling my 80 year old mother she mustn't go shopping from now on in case she catches the virus, and I'd do her shopping for her instead. However, it appears some people might have taken an alternative approach, and been using their elderly relative/s as a 'front' so they could grab what was on the shelves before the shop was open to under 70s? If so, I think that's appallingly selfish behaviour. I suppose they'll be blaming everyone else (including the government) if their elderly relative catches the virus and dies, of course it could never be their own selfish fault, could it? Once again, however, I don't think there'd be much conscience there to prick if they're pulling tricks like that!

Yep, similar to taking granny to the shops so they can use her blue badge (and often leaving her in the car).

Back