weekly overbez's 52 for 2013.... ** COMPLETE **

Agree with above, if you get what you're after, its got to be a success
Nicer with the crop too

the colours pop far better on your edited version.. nice use of selective colour, works well.. prefer the one with less of the pathway

Hi Graham, great how you mixed both B&W and Colour in this (A fan of SC) does give that Winter feel with the trees, good shot :clap:

Hi Graham. The more I look at your cropped edit, the more I like it. You've got those colours to pop nicely.

The edited version works well - I like the selective colour and the motion in the swingy-thing!

I want a go on the swingy-thing! It would have been nice if that had been the bright red part of the image an the train more muted as the composition might then have worked a little better instead of my eye being drawn to the middle but it works, especially the crop and although I know you are quite capable of changing everything around it is a lot of effort :D

Real struggle with Gravity - did do my own idea, but tried a second taking inspiration from Lynne's wine glasses. This was hard, the main problem being how to overcome gravity itself :LOL:

But here you go!

This was the results of my third shoot trying to get this, each one better than the last. But I've spent enough time on it this week!

Hi graham, like it. I did something similar for my last 52. You've done well here because its not easy...if you did what it think you did :D

Well composed and the fluid is nice and level.

I'd like to see a bit more 'pop' to the colour and removing the light coloured fluid residue would make it even more graphic.

Good show and :clap: for doing something difficult.

Cheers.

Hi Graham

Season - edited version is good. The colours really add to the feeling of bleak midwinter as they are so contrasty.

Gravity - well done . It must have been difficult to do and has come off pretty well. I like the hint of reflections in the glass. Pinkish line under fluid looks a bit odd and the red flash in the top and the 5 little whitish spots on the glass could be cloned out?

like it, very clever there are a few marks the Andy has mentiond the lighter coloured liquid and there is a red mark at the top of the glass and now you have me thinking how you did it :thinking:

Nice one! I decided when I saw it on the other thread that you'd taken it upside down, but I'm guessing from other comments that it's more sophisticated than that. I'm not so bothered at the spots etc, but I did find the "red wine" leakage over the edge of the glass slightly odd.

Thanks for comments, a quick edit to address the points raised on the specks and as much of a change to the "wine" as I could. (I like the flash of red top right - so I've left it in :LOL:)

I'll post up another pic and a how-I-did in the morning.......

excellent photo, connecting with the theme. very interesting subject and makes me really wonder how you've done it. well done.

please do tell.

Nicely done. Confused me how you've done it :)

Okay good people - here's the reveal, probably be something of an anti-climax, but hey-ho.

Think ChrisR has spotted the tell-tale sign... The wine glass is real, has blackcurrant squash in it, I cut a disc slightly larger than the top of the glass from a orange juice carton (waterproof, stiff, flat, thin), and put that on top of the glass. Then placed a piece of wood on that, and tipped it upside down, a small bit of leakage but the paper disc stays, sealing in the liquid.

Then, to the bathroom, suspended the upside down glass in the bath with a piece of wood and thread, and shot from one end to the other. Lit the curved part of the bath with two small LED kids lamps. Had to use the tilting screen and liveview to frame the shot.

Shot with camera tipped, as seen here. (straightened).

The liquid did leak, I tried to blot it up as best as I could, but some escaped which is what gave rise to the reflected part ChrisR spotted.

I also took a shot of the empty wine glass in the same position, to give the highlighted rim, which I blended in. And shadow added under the glass in PP too.

Last edited:
You did a great job there Graham mate. That tilty screen came in handy eh?

PS I know it must have been scary bit did you have to "go to the bathroom" part way through? :LOL:

Very droll.....

But yes I did, I had to do it over something to catch the liquid if my seal gave way. And I struggled finding a background that worked. Couldn't have done it without the flip out screen - real struggle trying to frame it though when left is up, tip down is roll left, point up moves right. argghhhhh!

Great shot, great idea. Thanks for the 'how to', very interesting!

Hi Graham.

Season was really well done. You've been quite meticulous with your shots so far this year and it's showing in a good series of images so far. I am not a fan of colour popping, but I think the way you went about it and the thought behind it was worth it in the end.

Gravity is brilliant. Had no idea how you did it until your reveal, and once again it shows a degree of dedication to your photography.

Really good start to your 52 and bookmarked!

Keep it up!

Ian.

Thankyou Ian - it's comments like that (and the constructive criticism) that'll drive me forwards. I've only had the D5100 a few months now, and no kit like remote triggers or flashes (yet) so I'm trying to do the best with what I have.

Plenty on show here to inspire and aspire too as well. (y)

Really well done, and surprised to see how you did it, I was expecting the bottom of the glass to be filled with clear jelly. :)

Hi Graham

gravit...now thats a fab image....very creative & very well executed :clap: Cheers for showing the set up as well...I was wondering how you did it

Sin....Simple and effective start, good use of DOF.

Season..... Not sure on the B&W background as the play ground looks a little to colourful. The idea and the framing is there just a little playing with the original.

Gravity....Nice idea and thanks for showing the set up, I'm sure many more will try this now.

(y)

Really well done, and surprised to see how you did it, I was expecting the bottom of the glass to be filled with clear jelly. :)

I did think of freezing some ice on a slant was was pretty certain it would have visible bubbles in it - or melt and allow the wine to leak down the side.

gravit...now thats a fab image....very creative & very well executed :clap: Cheers for showing the set up as well...I was wondering how you did it

Thanks Lynne - t'was your wine glasses that gave me the inspiration.

Wild - had a trip in to Windsor at the weekend - and the ducks and geese and swans and gulls along the Thames were definitely wild. After anything with food they were.

So I managed to use my 55-300 lens, and hope you'll agree that popping the three into the frame doesn't count as PP (So I'm still OK with my rules!) Although as far as they're concerned - if my idea requires them to be broken I'm happy to do so.

Last edited:
Very creative take on the theme of gravity Graham (y)
Your backstory/setup shot is appreciated too.
Not much to add by way of crit, just that maybe it could be a little brighter to add some pop to the image I feel.

Wild, certainly on theme (y)
I just feel that the two smaller images are too similar, do you have anymore to add for variety?

All round good work though. Iain

Heh, I like it. It's (for me) a storytelling series of images. Spotted you - Pretended to ignore you - then flew away. the way you've composed the triptych works fairly well and the images seem nice & clear. Lastly - it hits the theme on the head.

Well done!

Ian.

Do you know Iain - I think you're right.... I had a scout through my previously overlooked files and tried to find a different one. It's not great, (these are the first Bird-In-flight shots I've taken), but I think it works well to complete the trio.

I've also re-arranged the frames so the new one is flying in - left to right.

Nice work Graham (y)
For me that tells more of a story. Iain

The edit works better it does follow now as a story, a nice set :clap:

Back