weekly overbez's 52 for 2013.... ** COMPLETE **

Forgive the pun, but this really lept out at me! -
Wondered who would be first to crack this one (y)

I like the composition, it's clean, defined and tidy. I prefer take 2 for the contrasting background but the loose tiles are good on both. I agree, you did well not to catch any glare.

Thanks to you all - a real interesting split between favouring the first, the second, bits of one but other bits of the other.

The part that works for me is the entirely organic point at which it was at when photographed. The edges were the easier bits to find and fit in, which gave the shape, but left the unfinished look too.

Week 7 in the morning... :eek:

I preferred the second shot, because the first pieces round the edge were all green. I felt it looked more balanced with the orange pieces around the edge too.

Hi Graham

your 1st image of the jigsaw really stands out to because of the background color...I think it blends in perfectly & the cat's colors seem to have more pop to them (y) I don't dislike the 2nd version , just prefer the 1st

Out of the 2 I think the first background colour suits/compliments the jigsaw.

Not sure whether I would have filled in as much of the tiger as it look a little to close to being finished.

Hmmm - there's definately no unanimous favourite of the Tiger jigsaw :LOL:

GLUTTONY, now this was hard.... partly because I felt there had to be at least an implication, (if not the actual act), of the food going to be eaten, rather than simply put on a plate. :thinking:

Cup of tea anyone?

Bugger, what with all the buns I didn't think anyone would do this take...grrrrr.

I might have a go at my take.

Yeah, like it. Nice sense of motion and detail. I'd prefer less clutter and may loose the kettle.

Cheers.

Loved the first jigsaw pic. The green background seemed to compliment the jigsaw perfectly and IMO, emphasised the tiger rather than detracted from it.

I like your idea for gluttony as well. The way you've got the sugar cascading around the entire opening of the mug really spells 'a lot of sugar' and fits the theme to a 'tea' :D

I like it, good to see a different spin on the theme!
Only crit would be that I don't think the kettle adds anything to the shot! Good work on capturing the cascading sugar!

Gluttony indeed Graham, thats a lot of sugar going into the mug.
You have captured the cascading sugar well, its a good clean image which as others, I feel would benefit from losing the kettle from the scene. Other than that good job (y)

The puzzle is a cracking idea, beautifully done. Version 2 for me.

Gluttony - I really like the movement in the sugar, and the composition works well. Nice take on the theme.

I think I'd agree with wanting to lose the kettle, but apart from that, great shot. Nice composition and the sugar looks great, and a unique idea.

agree about the kettle, excellent movement on the sugar :clap:
nice different take on the theme

No love for the kettle then, :LOL:

I put it in as although there's no actual tea or coffee in the mug, I wanted more than just a (giant) spoon of sugar being tipped into a mug. Had the Tea and Coffee jars in the shot at one point, but that was too busy. The kettle, with a just poured amount of water in it, I thought would imply that there was water in the mug.

Oh and lots of the sugar did spill over the mug, onto the worktop..... I either spent ages cloning it all out, or pasted in the clean worktop from the shot 2 seconds before this one. ;)

and a few of the reflections bothered me, obviously not anyone else though. I also cloned out the reflection of my head from the top of the "round" of the spoon. :LOL:

Last edited:
Good capture of movement. Maybe spillled sugar would have added to the theme?

Or even had tea in sugar container......any tea with your sugar?

I like the shot and the idea,

agree with majority as to losing the kettle, my reasoning is, the colours of everything else in the picture tie together nicely then the grey kettle just throws things out for me. Also just noticed the seal of the lid is a bit out of sorts, and once spotted I find it hard to avoid being drawn to it.

Well done for the cloning, bet it did take a while but I can't find any grains, so great job.

Like the capture of the motion of the sugar noticed you've got a little bit bouncing off the rim of the cup which I think adds a little something.

Different take for theme but fits in very well (abit of tea with your sugar) I like how you have used a dessert spoon to put the point across on the amount of sugar going into the cup, with the motion, great shot

Really good although I agree that the kettle could be left out. As said, the motion is very cleanly captured. The brown mug adds a nice colour contrast to the sugar.

Ok, Ok, I get it about the kettle.. :LOL:

Everton - it wasn't a dessert spoon, it was a big serving spoon we have... too big to actually fit inside the rim of the mug.

Thanks again to all. (y)

Hmmm - there's definately no unanimous favourite of the Tiger jigsaw :LOL:

GLUTTONY, now this was hard.... partly because I felt there had to be at least an implication, (if not the actual act), of the food going to be eaten, rather than simply put on a plate. :thinking:

Cup of tea anyone?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83470296@N06/8485837559/in/photostream/lightbox/

Like this one, Graham. It's on theme and I like the way you have caught the sugar falling from the spoon: it must have beer really difficult to shoot.

TIME.....

A much easier theme this week..... and no kettles in sight :LOL:

Hi Graham

For some reason I have not subscribed to your thread and thus missed many. Apologies, I do like to return c&c to those who have taken time and trouble to look at and comment on mine.

Wild - good bird shots and edit 2 of the tryptych works best, but for me the best shot on theme is the single one of the gull diving to the other. Good capture of wings, feather and flight and , to me, so much more wild

Space - Buzz made me laugh. Like the stars b/g and the colours, less keen on the shadows and the centrality

Work - really good idea. The amount that has been completed gives the tiger a real feeling of movement. Liked the first b/g for what it is worth after so much discussion!!

Gluttony - like every one else - super focus, motion of sugar and colour but kettle is not needed.

Time - the third that i have looked at today with a motion of the second hand - no idea how it is done. I like the pov but that has given an unbalanced shadow/highlight to the bottom and a slight 'pinch' in the sides, left and right. But these are minor issues on what is a very clear well focussed shot bang on theme.

I have now subscribed and hopefully won't have to catsh up so much.

Time, quite a popular take on the theme and all are quite individual takes. WB looks good and nice and sharp. Think I'd like a square crop.

Cheers.

not sure of angle the clock is on but nice BG and nice exposure and excellent movement in the second hand

Cheers guys, no-one noticed the backwards numbers then? Also would have loved the last second hand to be solid rather than blur, but would have needed a static shot to get that - which would have meant removing the battery without moving the clock.

Anyway - as it's so quiet, I've had time to get in a bonus one!

Time recorded by the growth of a tree..... thought about taking some twigs and arranging them to look like hands on a clock, but decided against. :LOL:

Gluttony - now that is a decent sized spoon for sugar - might only take one of those instead of however many it is I take at the moment. Having some tea in your sugar is not really gluttony - is it?

Time - Interesting clock you have there Graham! I like the tree trunk - especially as that is the same theme as I have in mind if the tree I saw is still available

First off apologies, I seem to have missed your thread up to now. What a great set of images you are creating, you've had some superb ideas :clap:

I am way behind on commenting so I'll just add comments for the most recent two pics:

Time - great idea, I'm a bit stumped for ideas this week (pun not intended lol!). I think you could try adding a bit more contrast, the image seems rather flat. I like the crop though and there is nothing distracting which is good and what background there is definitely compliments the subject.

Gluttony - a nicely thought out composition and I think the right choice of shutterspeed too.

Having some tea in your sugar is not really gluttony - is it?

Some sugar is of course not gluttony, the spoon is a serving spoon, and holds 6 teaspoons (I just checked) :LOL:

Time - Interesting clock you have there Graham!

It's a backwards clock, hence why the numbers go round the wrong way and the text is backwards. Confuses people all the time!

Time - ................ I think you could try adding a bit more contrast,

I think you're right - as the shadows and highlights were at the ends of the histogram, I assumed it was ok - increasing the contrast (and reducing the brightness) has worked, bringing out more colour too. Thank-you! (y)

Last edited:
Great idea for time, hadn't considered that at all. Much prefer the second version.

I like the execution of the clock a lot, but the way the angle creates a kink in the rim at 3 and 9 o'clock jars a little with me. The tree rings is a lovely idea, the second version does it for me.

Good work on the clock Graham, the sense of movement certainly adds to the composition, I don't think a more static shot would have the same impact.
A crisp, clean image with the subject really standing out from the deep background.
The edited version of the log/tree is much improved IMHO with the boost in contrast, it brings out the colour tones more.
Not sure if it was possible but I feel the leaves on the ground cause too much busyness in the background. Perhaps a shallower dof my have lessened this. As I said, it may not have been possible to do so. Iain

Hi Graham

I knew there was something odd about that clock but didn't see it till I read your words...the human brain is clever enough to let an image make sense even when it's wrong.... :LOL: Like the shot...great blacks contrast well with clean whits of the face & fab movement of the second hand ...lovely shot (y) & I've just sussed " SEILF EMIT "...

Back