weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

Cheers David.

Thanks paul. You're right on the moon shot... I was prepared for comments along the lines of.... "The moon.... Yep, certainly is."

But more effort into nonsense though to make up for it. Only sky blue wall is in little'uns bedroom (only one wall too) and I knew I needed a long focal length to narrow the field of view. But ended up under his bed using live view to get far enough back for the framing. Dof I wanted the horizon to be blurred.

Lighting wise you've done well to deconstruct this. 9.5 /10. :)

Window camera left, exactly as suggested, and flash fired up at ceiling, positioned about halfway between camera and boat, just off to the right. I did see that highlight and thought about cloning it but didn't.

I like the highlight - it shows the glossy hull is... erm... glossy! We can all get terribly obsessed with highlights but that's partly because we're shooting digital which is not good at dealing with very high exposure values. Back in the film days it was far less of an issue. For what it's worth, I think we overpanic about such things now - and I include myself in that for sure!

We can all get terribly obsessed with highlights but that's partly because we're shooting digital.........

I completely agree that we often over over things we shouldn't; blown highlights on shiny things, slightly off horizons, too many shadows, not enough shadows, wrong types of shadows. And that's before we get onto composition.

A few quotes stick in my mind from my time in the 52's... From @alsjazzera ..... "Perfection's overrated" is one.

Thanks @susiejb . fun shot indeed. Beans or custard would probably have been less fun.

Hi Graham :)

Nonsense - Now then... how on earth did you think of this one, I'm with Paul here, definetly my favorite nonsense image, love the DoF, the Pasta and blue background/sky, the Focus on the ship is excellent - Love It :clap:

Hiya dean, thanks very much mate... Seems this has hit the mark with a few of you all. :)

How did I think of it?? Just wandering round the house, kids toys etc, was messing about with Moshi Monsters when I spotted the ship, separated it from its stand, and just thought, "what would be a nonsense thing for this to be sailing on???". Beans? Custard? Didn't have either of those, so pasta was what caught me eye. :D

Week 51 - Extravagant.....

Who needs more than one line of lights along each gutter of their house eh?? (Not my house btw :p)

Anyone pointing out the 3 cars or the no entry sign will be given a "Captain Obvious" badge to wear over Christmas. :rolleyes:

Week 51 - SOOC

Last edited:
Took me awhile, thought it was a fairground or something. Thanks for showing us ... never seen anything like it!!

Hi Graham, I really want that badge :nailbiting:.......................

Definitely extravagant and somewhat crazy, perfect for the theme

Now where was I have you noticed the..................:chicken::exit:

cheers guys, I particularly like teh fact that the next door house has NONE!

(Well done Allan. (y) ;))

Hi Graham

Nonsense......."sailing on the seven sea's of rye"........sprang to my mind as soon as I saw this image, no crit fro me....brilliant idea & well executed (y)

Extravagant.......can you imagine he lecy bill for that lot ???:exit: Now....about that no entry sign.........

Thanks Lynne..

Nonsense turned out to be not as bad as I thought it might be.

They do have s collection box for donations to a local pre-school so can't knock them.. Just glad it's a few streets away from us.

I could have probably cloned out the sign.. But not the cars.

Morning Graham, well it certainly fits the theme :LOL: I noticed next door just had a small decoration in the window, wonder what they really think of the neighbours :eek::D

I could have probably cloned out the sign.. But not the cars.

Lightweight :p :whistle: :D

Hi Graham

Nonsense - yes, pure nonsense - well thought out and handled - a lot of work in translating your idea to the finished shot. Lighting on the ship is particularly good

Extravagant - spot on - many of those round by us. Really make me smile. And got to agree with you that the fact that the adjoining semi has no lights and only one car makes the 'extravagance' more intense.:)

Hi Graham ... a smashing shot to finish on ...very fitting for the theme and time of the year. I must say I quite admire the devotion of people who do this ...it must take ages to set up.

Wishing a very Happy New Year to you and yours....I've thoroughly enjoyed your 2014 thread :)

Ha ha, great idea for the theme Graham. I think the 3 cars in the driveway actually add to the extravagance and the reflections off them make them look as though they've even decorated their cars :eek:

I love the reflection in the cars ... so clone out the rest. ;)

@Phil-D Cheer's Phil.. I know what I'd think if they were next door to me..

@posiview thanks andy.. Seems the cars aren't such an issue after all

@superpippo thanks Alan, never thought of the three cars as also being extravagant. (y)

Hi Graham ... a smashing shot to finish on

If only it was Susie... Still one more to go. HNY to you too, and I'm glad you've enjoyed my thread, I'm secretly amazed at my submissions myself, I obviously want to produce interesting images, but the expectation to exceed the previous weeks has taken its toll on me I feel.

@XenosElaine thanks for that thinking on the extravagance of the three cars. :) like it.

Cheers @d00d , clone the cars?? No. They add to the extravagance of the image... Alan and Elaine said so too. :p

@Pinkbikerbabe thanks Mandy, spot on.. Nice to look at on someone elses home.. But not on your own.

And the final week, week 52... It has been a long year; and as I said at the start, I wasn't planning on going around again, but I am REALLY glad I did.

The thing I'm most pleased about from this year has been actually getting a good number of my shots printed and up on the wall(s) around the house.

Thank you to everyone for their comments throughout the year, all very much appreciated especially given the time constraints many are under.

Simple shot to end on, pylon in the last of the afternoon sun from a walk out this afternoon.

Final week - SOOC

Cheers dean, once I started... not finishing was never an option. :)

Thankyou for your support and comments throughout the year, they've been a lovely blend of positivity, but with sufficient critique and nitpicks to be seen as honest and thoughtful.

Best of luck for 2015, and again my thanks for your overall support of the 52 challenge. (y)

Hi Graham, I can only echo what DK says above, always a pleasure to see how you interpret a theme, you always put a lot of thought into it (y)

Have a good new year :)

Hi Graham, it's been a while since I popped on so apologies (Christmas plus work plus other calls on time!)...

Extravagent: It's certainly on theme and also appropriately cheery... I like the image in the context of the theme although I don't find the photo particularly gripping - perhaps that's more my bah humbug view on such things. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, but I prefer a touch more subtlety myself :) I'd also be inclined to crop slightly so that the right edge is much closer to the fence edge and the left edge is perhaps half way across the garage door... but that's just me. Well spotted and a solid capture so well done.

Support: cracking symmetry on this which I really like. I also think the plain sky suits the simplicity of the image. One thing which confuses me (and may well just be simple optics/light) is the bottom of the pylon is much, much darker than the top. I can tell that's not a consequence of the processing as the SOOC shot also has it (SOOC is a great idea that I'm nicking for my 52 next year, BTW!)... Maybe a touch darker sky at the top would work well, but I think it's great as is. And a super end to your 52 - big well done! :banana::clap:

Thanks Allan.. And thanks to you for your views throughout the year. HNY and all the best for next year.

Cheers Paul, tbh these last two didn't massively excite me but there was no way I could simply stop at week 50, so something had to be posted.
On the pylon, the sun was pretty much directly behind, quite low, and starting to go below the trees so the base of the pylon was heading into shadow.

Feel free to include the untouched shot each week, I've felt it worth doing. (y)

All the best for the 2015 52 and the year in general. :)

Last edited:
Well done Graham, excellent last shot , looks great viewed large on flickr (y)

I've really enjoyed your shots this year, I'm certainly going to miss the TP '52 next year

Happy New Year mate, atb for 2015 :)

Cheers Andy, symmetry is "close enough". :), was a tad soft as shot handheld at 1/25, but a fair but of sharpening and a high pass filter sharpening has made it passable.

Is been a pleasure having you contribute to my thread again, a great mix of praise where it's been deserved, along with honesty when required. (y)

Phil, thank you. I've also enjoyed your presence in my thread. Glad that I've been able to impress, confound and inspire you throughout the year.

I'm going to miss it too, well in some ways but not in others. And all the very best to you for the coming year. :)

Hi Graham

As pylons go that's a good one. (y) As everyone keeps saying, symmetry (y)

You make a heavy duty structure look delicate ... love each individual cable fading into the distance.

I don't believe you're not doing 52s2015 :help:

Nonsense - LOL. What made you think of this. Very creative. Good positioning of the main subject off centre

Extravagant - There's always someone in the local area who goes overboard. I'm amused by darkness of Mr & Mrs Bah-humbug's house next door LOL

Support - There's something about electricity pylons that is very photogenic. The symmetry of the image is it's strength. Nice one

Well done for finishing the year Graham :clap:

A great shot to end the year on Graham. Sorry to hear you won't be in for 2015, but good luck with whatever you do and a happy new year.

I don't believe you're not doing 52s2015 :help:

Cheers David, I've seen the list of themes for next year.. :naughty:

Thanks Lynne @blondie606 and thanks for your comments and appreciation of my shots this year.

Thanks Susie, @susiejb , I'll miss you all too.. Still not sure how I made it through this year intact. :)

Nonsense - LOL. What made you think of this.

Desperation Peter, sheer desperation :)

Thanks for your contributions to my thread. Much appreciated.

Thanks Elaine @XenosElaine , 2015 looks to be off to a busy start in the 52's. All the best to you this year too. :)

Back