weekly -Oy-'s weekly 52 theme thingie for 2021: Week 52 : Showcase and dunnit!

Wow I see I've been missing your thread for a little while, sorry about that... time to catch up...

Culture - really nicely captured and perfect for the theme.

Back - love the shoehorn ha ha! Great idea!

Snapper's Choice - lovely choice of subject. Makes me feel so emotional to see the veterans on these occasions.

Wow I see I've been missing your thread for a little while, sorry about that... time to catch up...

Culture - really nicely captured and perfect for the theme.

Back - love the shoehorn ha ha! Great idea!

Snapper's Choice - lovely choice of subject. Makes me feel so emotional to see the veterans on these occasions.

Many thanks :)

Culture - nice image, very interesting and great use of the light. Also fits the theme well, nicely 'current'.

Culture - nice image, very interesting and great use of the light. Also fits the theme well, nicely 'current'.

Thanks Jim :)

That's a really dramatic image Dave. Without reading the description I was assuming photoshoppery!

It's strange that the dark background would normally be preferred for a shot like this but I'm wondering what it would look like with a bit more light to define the background and give the subject a (wierd) sense of place.

Bang on theme too!

Week 48 : Living

Fieldfare living off Hawthorn berries at Leighton Moss near Silverdale. A winter migrant from breeding grounds in Scandinavia and Russia.

Leighton%20Moss%20051221-15a-XL.jpg

Wow that's detailed Dave. Really nice composition too. And very much on theme.

Excellent capture! Plenty of detail, and the berry in the beak tops it off

Lovely. The blown out background gives it a starkness and really pushes the subject out. A great moment too, with the berry between tongue and beak.

Lovely. The blown out background gives it a starkness and really pushes the subject out. A great moment too, with the berry between tongue and beak.

Thanks Nick :)

Fantastic shot - perfect timing! I haven't seen any fieldfares this year yet.

Ta muchly - first for me too. I;d sopent a few hours wandering around the reserve then just happened to ask one of the RSPB staff if there were any Fieldfare about. He said "Yes - big Hawthorn on the car park" - LOL! :)

Last edited:
That’s a great shot of a Christmas tree. Loving the clarity and the lighting and nicely framed with no distractions.

I really like the way the light and detail play together in the central section of the tree. The snowmen are a nice compositional touch too. A little more light on the angel might have been nice though, and maybe a touch more space on the top of her head.

I really like the way the light and detail play together in the central section of the tree. The snowmen are a nice compositional touch too. A little more light on the angel might have been nice though, and maybe a touch more space on the top of her head.

Thanks. Yeah the top was a problem. Put light up there and more space and we get more of the horrid artex ceiling that MRs Oy hates.

Living - I love this shot. The minimal background really makes the bird stand out. A light dusting of snow and it would make a great Christmas card!
Loving the snowmen beneath your tree... very festive.

Cool Christmas tree Dave, nice shot and colourful.

Thanks Dave

Living - I love this shot. The minimal background really makes the bird stand out. A light dusting of snow and it would make a great Christmas card!
Loving the snowmen beneath your tree... very festive.

Cheers Helen ;)

Living is a great shot - and I also like the tree.

Was this lit by any other means or just ambient light plus the tree lights?

Just ambient and the tree lights. Long exposure and small aperture to empahsixe the starbursts :)

That looks like a really magical tree Dave. Very colour co-ordinated with the baubles. I usually want to have all sorts of gaudy stuff on the tree, but Mrs H glares at me and we go back to "the silver and purple scheme". Maybe next year we'll go red... This looks like a compromise to me :)

Nice to see something festive - really nicely executed shot, the technical aspects of getting the exposures right and still getting the "twinklies" to show up worked well - for me its just that the Angel/Fairy is slightly "cut off" by the curtain rail horizontal right below her feet...

I'd have probably been more predictable and safe and gone with one or two of the snowmen and a few baubles / twinklies on a tabletop set - or a closeup of a small section of the tree.

Nice to see something festive - really nicely executed shot, the technical aspects of getting the exposures right and still getting the "twinklies" to show up worked well - for me its just that the Angel/Fairy is slightly "cut off" by the curtain rail horizontal right below her feet...

I'd have probably been more predictable and safe and gone with one or two of the snowmen and a few baubles / twinklies on a tabletop set - or a closeup of a small section of the tree.

Thanks Mark. I did suggest to SWMBO that we cut a foot off the bottom of the tree to improve my photo - but I just got "That Look" :D

Week 50 - Minuscule

I spotted this mico scene at Dunham Massey whilest searching for Deer this afternoon. Only had the 500mm PF on but seemed to do ok.

"Alien Weavings"

i-Md2xvQx-X2.jpg

This is beautiful Dave. That sensor dust or whatever it is in the upper left corner would have to go for me though. My eyes keep getting drawn to it. (Apologies if you can now not unsee it too...)

The composition, colour & clarity though are just lovely. Really nice.

This is beautiful Dave. That sensor dust or whatever it is in the upper left corner would have to go for me though. My eyes keep getting drawn to it. (Apologies if you can now not unsee it too...)

The composition, colour & clarity though are just lovely. Really nice.

It'll be summat natural - never seen sensor dust at 500mm F/5.6 - but I'll remove anyway - thanks for the headsup :)

Back