weekly Pads 52 project 2016 - Week 7 Danger(ous) Added

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

First attempt at one of these, all feedback and comments welcome and appreciated throughout the year.

Lovely crisp shot there Paul, nice straight horizons, works weel in B&W and good to capture the shot without other people in it.
SLight crit would be that the sky in two windows seem blown and the shadows in the other two have lost all detail, but without HDR there is nothing you could have done about that, the rest of the shot is nicely exposed.
:clap:

Hi Paul. An image containing many interesting features and lines and angles - the obvious lead-in to the archway is strong. Nice b&w and certainly well themed. :clap:

Lovely detail and textures in that Paul (y)

Thanks for all your comments.
Still thinking of what to do for week 1.

Great photo I like the Handrail guiding you into the picture almost inviting you in.

Real nice photo that Paul, I like that you have got all the verticals upright and got rid of any converging uprights, the DoF being used down the walkway to the doorway works real well too, the B&W conversion tops it off nicely, a cracking image to start with (y)

Great photo I like the Handrail guiding you into the picture almost inviting you in.

Wonderful image - I love old buildings and ruins. I like the leading lines of the fence and the overall composition :)

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated. It is a lovely place to visit.

So, I've been thinking of what I can do for Metal. I'm not really happy with any of my images as great photo's, but I didn't join this challenge expecting to get 52 great shots, it was to get me out and looking for different things, and developing my 'photographic eye'.

So my first idea was to use something we normally try to avoid or remove in landscapes, the good old ugly electricity pylon.

I managed to get an ok ish sky for the metal to lead the eye into, but overall not a very pleasing image.
Levels by Paul Adams, on Flickr

So I took a walk into town and grabbed this of the chains on the drawbridge to the bishops palace in Wells. Pleased enough with the detail and processing, but composition wise its nothing to write home about.
Bishops Palace by Paul Adams, on Flickr

Still unhappy with my search I decided on this old metal sign as a subject, 2 versions and I'm unsure which I prefer. I think the B&W just edges it.

Wells Metal Sign by Paul Adams, on Flickr

Wells Metal Sign by Paul Adams, on Flickr

I really like your shot of the chains - the processing works well and as you say, good detail. I don't see much wrong with the composition - the angle led me along the length of the chain beautifully and the dof works well. It definitely caught my eye as I scrolled down the thread.

I like the chains and the pylons Paul, but actually prefer the pylons :)

Great hulking structures and a nice interpretation of the theme

If mine id try dropping the shadows and try to get some colour into the sky for more contrast and drama - but also like it as it is - nice image :)

Thanks for your comments, I've just added a little more "dehaze" and dropped the shadows slightly, If I go any further I lose the foreground.
Levels 2 by Paul Adams, on Flickr

Hi Paul,
I like the B&W chain shot, it has a certain gritty feel to it and you've used the DoF well to keep the background from being distracting.
Of the signs, I prefer the second one, I think because of the contrasting colours. That's a PROPER old sign. I think that the windows in the background actually work too, not least because they show the shot as having the horizontals correct.
I would agree with you that the pylons don't really work, perhaps if you had a go at pulling up the shadows? But it looks like you didn't have great light to work with. A sunnier day that gave the forground some life may have helped.

Very nice Paul - like the chain, best of the set. Excellent lighting great DoF. Spot on for theme. :clap:

The shot of the chains is fantastic, so detailed.

I actually really like the shot of the pylons aswell, nice start to 2016 :)

Really like both the chain and pylons shots. Not so keen on the signs, but that could be the angle it's taken at

Thanks Susie, I'm surprised the pylons have had a single vote, but just shows how subjective photography is. :)

Hiya Paul, really like the chain image, lots to look at. Good luck completing your 52

Really like the pylon shots Paul - everyday objects that we all tend to ignore. Nicely shot against the sky, nicely framed and processed well.You've certainly started well with regard to trying to see different things and developing a "photographer's eye" - that's why I'm here as well!

Best,
David

I like the chains. I don't usually like BW images but yours works very well

Some interesting and varied submission. I'm going for the chain link submission. Nice detail and textures. I'd prefer a different composition, mainly due to the empty space on the left.

Cheers.

I managed to get an ok ish sky for the metal to lead the eye into, but overall not a very pleasing image.
Oh I dunno, I quite like the pylons TBH, ( over the others)
The edit is even better (y)

Hi, bit late commenting but trying to catch up while thinking about this weeks theme.

Metal - I like the edit of the pylons, it's nice to see photos of things that are normally avoided and the cables lead into the picture well. My favourite though is the second sign, like the textured feel to it and the colours. The first sign one needs a little more room to either side for me.

Struggled to come up with a creative concept for this theme, so I forgot the creativity and went out to find something. I'm happy that I've managed to process it to look exactly as I wanted it when viewing the scene. I welcome your views and C&C .......

This is The Verne, a prison in Portland, Dorset from 1949 until 2014. See Wikipedia excerpt below for more info.

The Verne Prison by Paul, on Flickr

HM Prison The Verne was a Category C men's prison, located within the historic Verne Citadel, on the Isle of Portland in Dorset, England. It was operated by Her Majesty's Prison Service, and occupied the southern part of the citadel. The prison was converted into an Immigration Removal Centre, which opened in March 2014. However the Verne officially remained a prison until September 2014.

I know what you mean I cant come up with anything for the theme, However I do like this image and the style of processing you have used. The image has a nice dramatic feel to it and there's detail in the sky which is interesting, a job well done id say.

The first actual prison shot for 'captive'.
That's a properly gritty shot. The blues in the sky are really strong.
I assume you've de-saturated the rest of the image for impact. What was the original like?

The first actual prison shot for 'captive'.
That's a properly gritty shot. The blues in the sky are really strong.
I assume you've de-saturated the rest of the image for impact. What was the original like?

Hi Tim, Yes I de-saturated the image, the original of this was deliberately slightly underexposed in order to keep sky detail. In full colour the image was ok, but as mentioned this was the image I had in mind. Conditions were difficult to say the least, the wind was so strong and bitterly cold that I could barely stand still and my eyes were streaming in tears - hence this "cold look" kinda fits it perfectly for me. I'm sure B&W would have worked too, but was determined to avoid that as its always my "go to" alternative.

Back