Panic Buying

Tigger.ufo

Lady Penelope
Name
Heather
Edit My Images
Yes
Please just stop it!

Not my word,s but far more eloquently than I could say it.

Others have said it and I can’t help but reinforce. If you have filled your car with a month’s worth of food and supplies (unnecessary), what happens to my grandparents who get a bus once a week to the shops to pick up only what they can carry? (Yes I could take them supplies but only if I am well). What happens to the family down the street who live pay to pay and can’t spend hundreds in one go? What are you teaching your children?

This week I would much rather my kids had to eat something they hate but we happen to have in the house, then to learn from my behaviour that our family is so much more important than everyone else. Now is a great time to teach our kids they are part of a much bigger picture. Talk about the bigger picture and the consequences of our actions for others. Take a moment to think about those consequences and the chain of impacts. Calm and care. Calm and care. Let’s look back and be proud of the way we made the difficult and unpopular decisions, cancelled fun events, stayed home even when it is boring and lonely and frustrating, listened only to expert advice with evidence behind it (Government Health websites), looked after our most vulnerable, kept our shopping normal and calm, washed our hands, and published nice flatish curves of infection compared to other countries. If you don’t understand the importance of flattening the curve through using our collective and individual responsibilities then educate yourself. We all love someone who is elderly, immune compromised, or is a health care worker under the pump and we do this for them. We do this to ensure there is a bed and surgeon available if someone we love has a terrible accident this year.
Children will look to adults to know how to feel and act at this time - will they be flippant and all about me (I won’t get really sick so why should I care, it’s only a flu, what’s the fuss?); will they panic and show signs of anxiety? Will they be calm, learning, caring, and looking to the future, basing their understandings on evidence? As a parent the instinct to look after our own is strong I know...... but remember we are raising our future leaders here, this is a long game we’re in together. I’m looking forward to the collective group hug of congratulations when things settle in the future. For now, I’m keeping my distance in body, but not in heart.

You only need nine words: "stop showing us what a selfish idiot you are". :sulk:

There are 1000's of members on here, from all creeds and classes. There are lots of posts ( and jokes) about stock piling bog rolls.
By the law of averages, some of the members must be "guilty" of this.
And yet not one has posted to defend either logically or illogically the reasoning behind their behaviour.
This leads me to two conclusions
1) they don't have a f*****g clue why they are doing so. ( sheep mentality)
2) they are far to embarrassed to admit they are the ones contributing to the shortage(s)

There are 1000's of members on here, from all creeds and classes. There are lots of posts ( and jokes) about stock piling bog rolls.
And yet not one has posted to defend either logically or illogically the reasoning behind their behaviour.
2) they are far to embarrassed to admit they are the ones contributing to the shortage(s)
I've not stockpiled, but my theory is this:
If we go into complete shutdown, with factories closing, production ceasing and no deliveries to shops etc etc, then we may be in the sh!t, and will then need all the toilet rolls we can get our hands on. By then it will be too late. :)

I'd guess at #2 being the most common

Let's have a stocktake.
How many do you have?
I've got 20....that's just the normal 16 pack I buy with 4 left plus one reserve I bought today.

How many do you have?
Most of a 6 pack that I bought about a month ago.
I have bought nothing extra ( of anything) since this began.
I have meat in the freezer and dry goods ( tins) in the cupboard.
At my normal stock levels.

Let's have a stocktake.
How many do you have?
I've got 20....that's just the normal 16 pack I buy with 4 left plus one reserve I bought today.

We have an Andrex 4 pack and a Waitrose 9 pack that arrived in ur Ocado shopping yesterday plus 3 in the bathroom so 16 in all. We estimate about 1 1/2 a week so that's a little over 10weeks' worth. May have to cut down on the curries. :D

As we live in the countryside and get multiple power cuts and in bad weather either snowed in, flooded in or blocked by fallen trees, “stockpiling” is our norm.
About once a month we go to Costco and buy lots of everything that we might need that’s not easily available locally, like toilet roll, kitchen roll, bleach, washing powder etc. We also buy lots of tinned goods, pot noodles, rice etc.. Everything else is bought locally at the butcher or in the local shop. Milk is delivered from the local farm 3 times a week and eggs are from our neighbour down the lane.

So if we went to Costco this week, it would very much look like we are panic buying, but we aren’t, just doing our normal shop we’ve done for the last 3 years. Except we can’t now, cos Costco is empty.
Thankfully we have enough of most things to last us a couple of months and the local shop seems not to have the stock issues the supermarkets are having as they have plenty of bog roll and everything else

Just back from my local express.
I needed a few essentials, bread milk eggs, shot gun cartridges ..

All the shelves were well stocked, except, curiously the fresh fruit / salad stand was a bit lacking.
And obviously nothing to wipe your arse on, save kitchen towel or pita bread...

We managed to get 8 bog rolls in the local corner shop as Asda was empty of them. And beans, and pasta, and anything noodle related, and kitchen roll, and lemonade, and gravy..... 8 is nothing excessive for us though with 5 adults in the house.

Last weekend we didn't do any shopping at all as we were in the Brecon's for 3 days..!

Our local sainsburys looks like the apocalypse has hit. This virus has really brought out the worst in people.

No.....
Toilet rolls
Kitchen towels
Tissues
Wipes
Antibacterial sprays (in fact no bathroom or kitchen cleaners at all)
Sanitiser
Paracetamol, ibuprofen and flu remedies
Pasta
Rice
Baked beans
Frozen potato products were also really low.

One of my friends has said people are now panic buying eggs over his way. Why ??

Yesterday I noticed our local wine shop is starting to sell toilet rolls and hand sanitiser, at huge markups. Currently he’s selling a 49p bottle of sanitiser for £6.99. Dick Turpin is alive and well apparently.

Our local sainsburys looks like the apocalypse has hit. This virus has really brought out the worst in people.

No.....
Toilet rolls
Kitchen towels
Tissues
Wipes
Antibacterial sprays (in fact no bathroom or kitchen cleaners at all)
Sanitiser
Paracetamol, ibuprofen and flu remedies
Pasta
Rice
Baked beans
Frozen potato products were also really low.

One of my friends has said people are now panic buying eggs over his way. Why ??

Yesterday I noticed our local wine shop is starting to sell toilet rolls and hand sanitiser, at huge markups. Currently he’s selling a 49p bottle of sanitiser for £6.99. Dick Turpin is alive and well apparently.

I hesitated to click "like" for your post, afteral 'what is to like' about it................................but what you state is so widespread that the press conference/interview last week where it was said that once the supply chains catch up with the demand spikes all would be well, turned out to be a hollow prediction due to not accounting for the "me before them" attitude that Covid 19 panic has triggered in all too many people ~ just who is it that is emptying the shelves every time week and causing the continuation of shortages??? :(

Mum uses Ocado for her shopping and uses a tablet to do her orders. Unfortunately, they seem to have switched the app off. No worries, I told her to ring me with her list and I'd add her order on the website. Cue 20 minutes wait in a "virtual queue". Finally got on and put her order through, next available delivery? 7.30pm Monday 23rd March! :oops: :$

On a positive note, their next door neighbour knocked on their door earlier with a 6 pack of loo rolls and a bunch of daffs! :)

I think that people are rightly and wrongly stocking up.

The U.K. government and population seem to mainly be burying there heads in the sand or acting like it’s not a large issue.
We are literally one of the last countries in the EU and world to still have our schools running.
We have only 1000 icu units across the whole U.K. (58here in Scotland) and are heading with current rates to the state that Italy and Spain are in within weeks.
The Italian healthcare supposedly far surpasses the U.K. one and they are struggling badly with nearly a hundred a day needing icu treatment.
Resulting in a military style medical system of save those that have the highest chance and let others die.

People are fearful of the incompetence in this country and rightly so. They are buying out of worry and lack of a credible plan.

Yes it’s ideally not what should be done but self preservation always prevails.

The whole we will be fine with plenty of stock is already showing to be false.. many countries closing borders will only make it worse as a lot is imported.

We went shopping yesterday morning as normal and it was overly busy with somethings already sold out at 9am (pasta/toilet roll etc) went back at 6 to get something I had missed for dinner and there was no fruit/veg/meat or fish in the large Morrison’s.

I asked the manager and was told come tmr early as they have delivery’s over night with extra stuff to account for the panic buying.

We went at 8 for opening and they still had hardly anything. When I was buying meat the butcher said that only half of the expected delivery for the store had arrived. So I expect by mid day it will be empty again.

Ohh and we have 36 toilet roll but that is normal for us ,our two children literary eat the stuff. Expect that will last about two weeks in this house[emoji15] and they were recently on sale before all this kicked of so we buy more when it’s cheaper.

Also not sure if anyone saw the article online about the two brothers in America that went around and bought all the sanitizer in a few states(10s of 1000s) and were selling it at $20 a bottle after it cost them $2 each and they thought it was only fair and were annoyed that amazon had banned them for selling.

Also not sure if anyone saw the article online about the two brothers in America that went around and bought all the sanitizer in a few states(10s of 1000s) and were selling it at $20 a bottle after it cost them $2 each and they thought it was only fair and were annoyed that amazon had banned them for selling.

Would the USA legal system describe that action as racketeering???

I think stores should be unilaterally imposing a limit on the number of multiples that can be bought.......either that or it might/will have to be emergency legislation equivalent to rationing to get a grip on what so far is arguably causing an ongoing issue.

Without some form of 'controlling' the over zealous (repetitious?) bulk buying there is a risk of chaos.......now where is Dominic Cummings when Boris needs him ;) :LOL:

Saw my carer this morning and she was telling me about having been shopping in the local Tesco. She had picked up the last can of hot dog sausages from the bottom shelf only to stand up and have it snatched out of her hand by another customer, an old lady who justified her action by saying that she was too old to be expected to bend down. Being asked if she would like the other meat product already in the basket she took that as well! Just shows that selfishness knows no boundaries. The positive side of this story is that a member of staff saw what had happened and fetched 3 more tins from the store out back.

only to stand up and have it snatched out of her hand by another customer,
I wondered how long it would be before people started shopping out of other peoples baskets / trolleys :(

Would the USA legal system describe that action as racketeering???
Yes. In fact I’ve just been talking to my brother in law who lives in Florida about this and he said that “price gouging” as they call it, is illegal out there. If people report excessive profiteering then the sellers will be investigated by the police and jailed if found guilty.

Does he not realise that customers will see him ripping them off and vote with their feet.
Hope he's got his own contingency plan for when his business goes tits up.

Got this email from the CEO of Sainsburys earlier

Dear Ingrid,
You will have seen that, due to the ongoing uncertainty around the full impact of Coronavirus, supermarkets have been much busier than usual and customers are choosing to stock up.
I wanted to personally reassure you that we have more food and other essential items coming to us from manufacturers and into our warehouses and distribution centres. If we all shop just for the food that we and our families need, there will be enough for everyone.
I also wanted to let you know that at Sainsbury's, we are working really hard to ensure this remains the case. Over the past two weeks we have:
-
Ordered more stock of essential items from our suppliers
-
Put more capacity into our warehouses and
-
Set limits on a small number of items, including some cleaning products, soap and pain relief. This is a precautionary measure - if everyone shops normally, there will be enough for everyone.
There are gaps on shelves because of increased demand, but we have new stock arriving regularly and we're doing our best to keep shelves stocked. Our store colleagues are working tirelessly and doing the best job they can.
Which brings me onto a request. Please think before you buy and only buy what you and your family need. If we all do this then we can make sure we have enough for everyone. And please help elderly and vulnerable friends, family and neighbours with their shopping if you can.
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and to thank our colleagues who are all working incredibly hard to ensure we can continue to serve our customers well.
Best wishes

Mike

Does he not realise that customers will see him ripping them off and vote with their feet.
Hope he's got his own contingency plan for when his business goes tits up.
Oh aye, it’s been noticed and commented on by numerous people and he’s done himself absolutely no favours by doing it. The place was completely empty when I passed it yesterday evening and today.

Got this email from the CEO of Sainsburys earlier

I got that email too and the mention of the "limits" chimed with my thinking that it was about time this action was taken.................next visit to Sainsburys will show whether that is in force and working or not ;)

The wife and I took the dog for a nice walk over the Shropshire Hills this afternoon. We needed petrol so stopped in the petrol station to fill up. I could see the stacks of bog roll through the shop window while I was filling the car. Went in to pay and all the shelves immediately inside the door where full of bog paper. I guess Mars Bars, Haribos and Monster aren’t the pushed ’add on sale‘ products anymore. :D

Scored a nine-pack. :exit:

I went into Waitrose last night and they had nearly everything! Ok so no old potato’s but plenty of new and obviously no toilet roll, other than that it was rich pickings.
Better class of customer;)

I work for one of the big 4 supermarkets in the transport and distribution side
The warehouse is full to bursting and is being topped up by suppliers hourly
The toilet roll makers have millions of packs in stock and upping production can be done in hours
One store I went to said in 5 days the sales total was up by £60K due to panic buying

I just dont understand ' THE PUBLIC'S " attitude , basically F--- everyone else as long as I am selfish and have lots more than I need , Shows humans in their true form , Unbelivable :confused:

Last edited:
We shop weekly online(Morrison's) and use B&M, Aldi and a few others for bits and are shopping as normal. We did stock up on Guinness but that was on special offer :beer::beer::beer:

Back