Panic Buying

I do think Bob that it is the young who will suffer most during this? We get pre-occupied with pensioners but our young will miss out on social skills (not integrating), vital education for qualifications etc........they are the future of the Country/World.

It's all very easy to forget the young but IMO they are the hardest hit social group who will have to make the biggest sacrifices?

(...........a sorry but it really p***es me off hearing pensioners moan about the young all the time!)

Do you really think they have looked away from their phones long enough to realise anything is going on ?
I'll bet a most are staring at phone or laptop screens

Sure, they might be à bit dry and mouldy though, it's been a few years since I have eaten any. :)
Don't you eat fresh whites then?

It just occurred to me, I guess the ladies of the oldest profession in the world must also being laid [sic] off.
No one gives a thought to these poor people do they?

Just thrown the towel in on this going shopping, with our age and health we have ask nancys daughter to do our shopping, i know we should but our age group does not find asking for help to do things we can still physically do easy.

i know we should but our age group does not find asking for help to do things we can still physically do easy.
Yep. Its the older generation that wants or needs to do stuff for themselves (y)
Its the way we were brought up :)

Glad of the latest anniuncement - i sense many things in my online shop on sunday, the hallowed spot i managed to acquire - may be pinging out of stock very soon....

For some reason eggs are in short supply where I live but Iceland and other shops have stocks of loo rolls and most things ATM.

And the market has always had plenty of fresh fruit and veg.

But some shops have some empty shelves although I was able to get soap yesterday which had been in short supply.

Of course the main reason for panic buying is the press showing empty shelves and telling people not to panic buy!

With the lockdown I think all the shelves will soon be full again.

wont people just buy more because we're not meant to go out as often?

i am also being very selfless (joke) and having a few take ways from local businesses who are not able to open their restaurants - i really hope it helps - it will be awful to lose them

wont people just buy more because we're not meant to go out as often?
In theory people should only need to shop as often as they normally do. I normally shop once or twice a week. But due to restrictions on how many of certain items we can now buy, last week I went shopping 4 days out of 7.

Ocado virtual queue now at over 33,000 and rising!!

Just been down to the local Lidl - most things are available apart from dog and cat food, but I'm not used to the shop so they may be in a weird place.
Only other things I couldn't get were pasta and canned fruit.
I was also buying for a family up the road who can't get out.

Just had my new passport delivered by courier, I wonder if the online wine order will be next?
Walked down to the local shop earlier, all very civilised, people buying daily ‘rations’ there was even bog roll available. The only elderly person in my street passed me walking back up the hill, 15 years older but in better health, maybe I should have asked her to get mine when she was out.

For some reason eggs are in short supply where I live but Iceland and other shops have stocks of loo rolls and most things ATM.

And the market has always had plenty of fresh fruit and veg.

But some shops have some empty shelves although I was able to get soap yesterday which had been in short supply.

Of course the main reason for panic buying is the press showing empty shelves and telling people not to panic buy!

With the lockdown I think all the shelves will soon be full again.
I am more inclined to think things are going to get worse as everyone is forced to eat at home & so the demand for groceries will rise.......

For some reason eggs are in short supply where I live
I finally got some today from Tesco. But they had a notice above them. 1 item only from here.
I bought a dozen. 2 x half dozen eggs were a couple of pence cheaper.
And people were buying 2 x 6...
I wonder if they got a slap at the till?

I finally got some today from Tesco. But they had a notice above them. 1 item only from here.
I bought a dozen. 2 x half dozen eggs were a couple of pence cheaper.
And people were buying 2 x 6...
I wonder if they got a slap at the till?
Must be a location problem.
Plenty of eggs in Tesco and Lidl up here.

Must be a location problem.
I suspect you are right, reading posts across the board, some people haven't seen an item in weeks and yet others have plenty of them.

Although Rice and pasta does seem to be related to rocking horse Do-do across the country..
Not that is anything that really bothers me, I've got a couple of "Uncle Ben's" type microwave rice, should I feel the need

Our local Sainsburys and i think others have finally adopted a limited customer policy, they let 30 in when they open then its a one out one in.

Our local Sainsburys and i think others have finally adopted a limited customer policy, they let 30 in when they open then its a one out one in.
I think that is why there were queues of people in the car park at Tesco and B&Q on Sunday morning. There was a story about it online from our local press trying to make out it was panic buying but the car park didn't have as many cars in it as normal on a Sunday Morning. There was even a video of the queue that someone had filmed as they drove around the car park, moaning about all the idiots who should be at home self isolating instead of panic buying, obviously oblivious to the fact that he wasn't at home self isolating but driving around Tesco car park.
I have to say most people in the queue appeared to be keeping to the 2m rule, a few were standing closer to others but may have been part of a family unit.

Called in Asda on my way home an hour ago, didn't go in but the car park was virtually empty.
I've seen more cars at 3am there and its not even 24hr.

It feels like a lull before a storm, maybe everyone saw their 4r5e a bit after last nights Scarborough warning, don't think it'll be long before they lose their minds again.

Just been around Aldi and got enough for a week. Really quiet and good stock apart from unicorn toilet roll, loads of milk but no skimmed milk- guess dairies have stopped skim and having longer production runs on semi and full fat.

Only chalky water (skimmed) left here because there's no right thinking person drinks it :coat:

Could be the usual Facebook false news, but after seeing the post about a school being burgled for the freezers with food at the weekend, this wouldn't surprise me, but I have just seen two different posts shared warning NHS staff not to wear their ID's on show out in public as there has been some muggings for the ID, just so people can use them to get the shopping privileges etc that some shops are offering at the moment.

Back