Petes 52 in '22

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
So here we go again trying to stick with this for the whole year... Erm yeah lets see how that goes :rolleyes:

So first week - New

I had a number of ideas for this, but then on a walk the other morning with the dog we had an amazing sunrise. Unfortunately I have gotten out of the habit of carrying my camera everywhere over the last couple of years so all I had was my iPhone 13 Pro ( which in itself is new ) I was kicking myself as there was a near once in a lifetime photo but only just grabbed it with my phone and posted it here

But I also took this one which I thought fit the theme. Not great as the colours out of the phone aren't that great, but as a SOOP image it's ok. This was taken about a minute or so before the cormorant image where the entire sky turned red, I did get this view at that time as well but the phone camera couldn't cope with the dynamic range and it looks awful.

I call it "New Day"

Week_1_New.jpg

Nice reflection of the red sky on the water.
I would have toyed with the idea of cropping at the island, but then again, perhaps not, as you have the ducks as foreground interest.

Nice reflection of the red sky on the water.
I would have toyed with the idea of cropping at the island, but then again, perhaps not, as you have the ducks as foreground interest.

Yeah I tried cropping it, but you lose the ducks, and also you end up with just a dark blob at the bottom which didn't seem to work. I also tried leaving the ducks and cropping some of the water at the bottom out, but then the ducks looked odd at the bottom of the frame. Had I used my Nikon I would have had a better DR to be able to play with it a bit more but it is what it is :)

Very nice; and contrary to Tim, I'd have liked maybe a wider angle to pull in a bit more of the top of the right-hand tree and its reflection?

Lovely shot! I use the IPhone 12ProMax a lot and it takes good photos - particularly if I shoot RAW.

Lovely shot! I use the IPhone 12ProMax a lot and it takes good photos - particularly if I shoot RAW.
I have to say I’ve not tried RAW at all on it. I didn’t know it was a thing until just now. I had an Xs before this which didn’t do raw.

It's a nice idyllic scene Pete. I think that it's pretty good for a "just a phone" image. Good start.

Nice shot - It might "only" be an iPhone, but it's still got a (decent) camera, and as the old saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you. Doesn't matter IMHO whether it's a "phone" camera, traditional camera, drone or anything else if it captures the image. There have been plenty of phone shots on the 52.

A nice soft sunrise. At least you were out to capture it... we've had a couple of stunners recently (before the clouds came in) which I've only seen from the window! A good start to the 52.

What a wonderful new day Pete, perfect as it is and nowt wrong with a phone camera shot.

Pete

Nice. To throw my hat in the crop ring. I would have cropped in from the right edge up to the tree. I find the sky to the right of the tree distracting.

Thank you everyone for the comments. Much appreciated and interesting to hear some of the views on the crop. Food for thought :)

Really nice image and a great start to the 52 that you will complete :) I use my phone a lot these days - the camera you have with you and all that!

Week 2 - Old

Went out this morning to find this bridge after failing a few times previously. Got 2 images I kind of liked the first is my submission, but the second I kind of enjoyed as well. Both taken with the Z7ii and 50/1.2s

DSC_4059_m.jpg

DSC_4072_m.jpg

IMO the first one fits the "Old" brief better (show the age more) but I prefer the second one as an image! Shame the swan was feeling shy.

IMO the first one fits the "Old" brief better (show the age more) but I prefer the second one as an image! Shame the swan was feeling shy.

Yes I actually like the second as an image better. As for the swan, I was tempted to clone the little *beep* out as I stood there for ages waiting for it to pull it's head back up for the photo and it drifted half out of shot before it did lol

Fits the theme well. Not sure if you noticed but you have named your entry Week 3 on the Post your images here thread.

Old, spooky and makes you want to see what's on the other side (or maybe not...). I do think that I much prefer the second shot, I think that it's a better composition and leaves more to the viewers imagination.

Both nice. Style of the 2nd is my preference. Nice images.

Like others above, agree that first image fits the theme better, but the second image is a more rounded shot.
Ideally would have waited until the swan out of shot, or lifted it's head, but as they say, never work with animals!!!!

I like the first one the best. The gloomy lighting suits the theme. I won’t probably have just moved forward to lose the sticks on the bottom right.

I like the first one the best. The gloomy lighting suits the theme. I won’t probably have just moved forward to lose the sticks on the bottom right.
Sadly, as you can see replicated at the other side of the bridge, there are heavy duty metal barriers to prevent anyone getting on the bridge with it being so rusty. So I was pressed up against them to get this.

Prefer the composition of the second, first doesn't really have a focal point.

Prefer the 2nd image as it not the normal angle for taking an image of a bridge. Looks like a very dull day which suits the images.

Another vote for the second image. I find the foreground of the first a little distracting.

Week 3 - Receptacle

Had a complete breakdown of inspiration and a busy week so didn't really get into this one. So here's my entry this time.

No editing either again, just a little crop.
Week 3 - Receptacle.jpg

Well, it fits the theme and, actually, as a close up 'abstract' kind of image works very well. Nice level of detail and well exposed.

Works for the theme and recently used, Hope you enjoyed the toast.
We all have to take quick shots due to life getting in the way at times, don't worry to much.

Pete

Thanks. I felt it was a little uninspiring but it fit the theme. I'm trying to use this challenge, by including my own challenge on top, to push myself to get things as right as possible in camera. So other than very minor edits I want to post as SOOC as I can rather than highly edited photos. Not that there's anything at all wrong with adding loads of edits, but I want to push myself in camera.

Works for the theme and recently used, Hope you enjoyed the toast.
We all have to take quick shots due to life getting in the way at times, don't worry to much.

Pete
Actually there was no toast, at least not from the toaster, I was making cheese on toast in the grill this morning and as I looked over I thought that might make a decent attempt :)

That's a toasty little image Pete...

Definitely works for the theme.

Back