Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Week 1 - Direction

What the hell's that up there?

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, f/2 @ 100 mm, 1/1250, ISO 400, Flash

p631020294-5.jpg

Sorry Phil but can you not just post the picture here?

I don't really want to be going off site for pics to be honest and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one as I've seen others comment on this technique elsewhere on the forum?

Week 1

Rather than go with my first instincts of signposts or someone pointing, I thought I'd imply interest in a direction outside the frame.

I was deliberately challenging myself here shooting handheld with my recently-acquired Zeiss Makro Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZE. It is a manual focus lens so I thought wildlife might be 'interesting'.

Shooting at f/2 I was pleased with the sharp focus and narrow depth of field. I cropped slightly in Lightroom to put the eye on the thirds.

Hope you like it - thanks for looking

Phil

Sorry Phil but can you not just post the picture here?

I don't really want to be going off site for pics to be honest and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one as I've seen others comment on this technique elsewhere on the forum?

Ah good man!!

No going off-site required - just took me a few minutes to set up as this was my first post in the thread!

I like it. He/She could also be thinking, 'Mmmm...South...or just stay here?'

I had to work out at first that it was direction but once I got it I decided I liked it. Well noticed and well executed. I feel I would have like to have seen the whole bird but then the eye wouldn't be as noticeable so well done.

This is a nice shot of a bird but it doesn't scream direction at me - maybe if it was taking off or doing something then maybe it would more :)

I like the subtlty of the theme in this shot!
Made me look for the message and I like that, it's a nice image and has more to it than aesthetics. Art?

I like it. He/She could also be thinking, 'Mmmm...South...or just stay here?'

Thanks!

Really impressive shot; great IQ, sharpness, Dof, and composition.

I get the theme but it didn't jump out to me.

Looking forward to the remaining 51.

(y)

Yes - it's perhaps a bit of a subtle approach to the theme....pleased you liked the sharpness etc...

Nice one Phill, A very good take on the theme, small size doesn't do it justice, need to click big. Only thing I would like to see is more of the goose in the frame (y)

I had to work out at first that it was direction but once I got it I decided I liked it. Well noticed and well executed. I feel I would have like to have seen the whole bird but then the eye wouldn't be as noticeable so well done.

Yes, to be honest it was a bit of a quick grab while the goose was in that position.

This is a nice shot of a bird but it doesn't scream direction at me - maybe if it was taking off or doing something then maybe it would more :)

I like the subtlty of the theme in this shot!
Made me look for the message and I like that, it's a nice image and has more to it than aesthetics. Art?

Many thanks all!

love the light and dof, and what an interesting capture - you've got real character in the goose :)
x

Week 2 - Fear

The object of the most common phobia?

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, f/9 @ 100 mm, 1/300, ISO 100, Flash

p951872340-6.jpg

Week 2

My initial thoughts were to find a model and get them to look terrified. Unfortunately I'm away with work most of this week, so I decided to call my local pet shop who obligingly let me snap one of their inmates.

Lighting was tricky as the spider was in a small glass case. I put my 580EXII on a stand slightly to the right of the camera and handheld the 1D3 with the manual-focus Zeiss lens. I used liveview to check when I'd achieved focus.

I focussed on the eyes and I pleased to say I nailed the focus point - checked while viewing at 100% in Lightroom!

Thanks for looking. Will go a-commenting tomorrow night!

Phil

Phil that is just so cute Mate ;) Chilean rose tarantula possibly?

Cute! :cautious: I feel the fear :help:

I think the B&W is a bit more scary, nice picture am just getting into macro myself, it is HARD, well done you.

A couple of good shots there for the start of your 52 :)

Really like the second one as that is a fear that alot of people can relate too.

:agree: :plus1:

Many thanks for all the comments - The colour photo was just for reference really - I agree that the B&W has more impact!

Apologies in advance - I will comment on some threads next week. I'm on a laptop with a poor screen at the moment so difficult to view photos.

Last edited:
Hi Phil....sorry for taking soooo long to pop in on your thread:crying:

Fab start to your project mister

Direction...another out of the box thought for the theme but works for me ...nice n sharp.....great DOF...fab detail in the feathers & you can almost hear him/her thinking" whats up there? "...great shot :clap:

Fear....OMG....scared the wotsits out of me...hate 'em....anything with that many legs is just WRONG :LOL: Whilst I like the mono version for me the color one takes 1st place...they are such a lovely color ...really excellent shot Mister :clap:

I can certainly relate to this type of fear! Spiders literally make my skin crawl. The bigger they are, the worse it is.

Did you try a lower POV by any chance?

Back