weekly PhiltheJuggler's 2012 52! - Week 8 - Handmade - Wooden Bowl

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys!

In case you're interested, this is the colour one - (click for large)

Lovely lighting on this one and I prefer the B&W version, at first glance though it says insecure to me but I can see where you and the model were coming from!:)

Hi Phil

Doing abit of selective catch up

Sweet - Made me smile. On theme, good focus, good colour
secure - like others, this seemed to evoke insecurity to me. She looks a trifle sad and damaged. But i like the shot. Prefer the b&w because it reads as a whole, whereas to my eyes the colour shot has the girl, the stool and , for some bizarre reason, the strap over her shoulder which catches my attention.

Last edited:
Hi Phil

brilliant mono for Secure ,great lighting , lovely shadows & very effective for the theme :clap:
Had a peek at the color version large...something odd going on with her right leg(as you look at her)....this disappears in the mono though as the shadows work so well (y)

Many thanks for the replies. I'm glad you agree with the choice of B&W. I'm considering either enhancing the stool or cloning it out as I think it is in a twilight zone at the moment!

Phil

Week 6 - Industry

FinePix X100, f/2.8 @ 23 mm, 3 exposures, ISO 1600

p635911799-5.jpg

Industry -

The construction industry is very visible in the Middle East where I am on business at the moment - they are throwing up skyscrapers at an amazing speed.

For this shot I surreptiously crept onto a building site in Doha, Qatar. It was night and I didn't have a tripod so I perched my camera on a breeze-block and set it to bracket 3 frames -3,-2,-1 EV if I recall correctly. I then blended the shots in Photomatix.

The HDR process accentuates noise so I corrected this in Lightroom before uploading.

If I'm being picky I might have prefered to avoid the hosepipe partially obscuring the vehicle. Unfortunately I was restricted on shooting position and in some ways I think it adds depth to shot.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking!

Phil

Last edited:
Great shot Phil. For me, the pipe completely distracts from the shot but it sounds like you had a job getting ANY shot so great work anyway (y)

HDR is a very recent addition to my photography armoury Phil and I know its not to many people's taste but I really like the look. Your image is no exception, the subject really lends itself to this treatment, I love the detail HDR brings. The tube is a distraction yes, but you can only do what you can do with the obvious constraints.
Its bang on theme, colourful and detailed. All round good work. (y) Iain

Like that, the hosepipe doesn't bother me at all, I think it adds to the depth of the image - I would have liked to see all the top of the crane but clearly you were restricted. Well done!

I'm sure I commented on here at some point but apparently not...

Direction - subtle but effective take on the theme, shame about the bottom of the duck/chicken/swan or whatever being cropped off.

Fear - B&W for me.

Sweet - very War of the Worlds and nicely lit.

Industry - fantastic shot, I'm a big fan of HDR done well and that definitely is.

This is the sort of shot HDR was made for, imho - and you haven't overdone it.

The pipe on the left adds depth to the image - I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Yes, the top of the crane would have been good, but it sounds as though you were working in difficult circumstances. It definitely shouts 'Industry' and looks good, too. Well done, Phil (y)

Jean

The colours are great and the digger really stands out.

nice shot

I think its a great shot, yes the hose protudes but i do think it does add to the depth. For me Im more distracted by the pink down light at the top of the image over the second crane. I know it's off the chopped off top of the left crane but think it'd be better cloned out.

As for the HDR, Im not anti it at all unless it's overdone and in this case it looks perfectly suited to the image.

Hey Phil great shot and you already pointed out the flaw - and you know what sometimes thats just the way it is. I have heard countless times, people say "if you had come just a foot more this way" or "if only you were higher" and sometimes it just aint possible.

The fact is you tried and you saw the image - there will be millions of other opportunities when you can get higher or move a foot more one way :p

Phil,

I like what you did for Industry. By the sounds of it you were quite restricted in what you could do, not having a tripod, and I imagine you didn't want to linger too long either, having snuck in!

Wow! Thanks so much for all the positive comments - delighted everyone seems to like this week's attempt!

Phil

Week 7 - Root

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, f/8 @ 100 mm, 1/200, ISO 100, Flash

p118433586-6.jpg

Week 7

The most difficult thing with this shot was trying to keep the plant in position. I poked a large screw through a black cloth and into the rear of the bulb and had that clamped in a alligator clip attached to a stand.

Shot was lit with the 580EXII firing through a gridded reflector. I increased the canvas size in Elements to add the negative space on the left which I feel balances the photo.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking!

Phil

That's awesome Phil. The. Lack background s perfect something I definatley need to work on. Really like the contrast of the colours. Good job.

I like that and it works very well with the extra space. Cracking background.

Thanks guys! - it's funny how an extra bit of nothing somehow helps the composition!

Phil

Hi Phil, another who has slipped under the radar for a while..

Sweet - Very well thought out and executed photo, bang on theme. Really like the DOF and composition you have got and the lighting really gives the shot a meneacing atmosphere which is impressive for some sweets. Cracking photo mate.

Secure - Really like this shot, nice, simple and well composed. I persoanlly prefer the mono. You could change the title to (In)secure as I thought it said that when I first looked at it. Think you got the lighting spot on and the pose. Did you ever clone out the stool?

Industry - I'm not a huge fan of HDR but I think it has a place if the image is right and in this case I think it works well, like others have said shame about that pipe on the right as it does distract some but apart from that an excellent take on the theme :)

Root - Really like the composition and colours on this one, spot on theme and certainly a refeshing take. Maybe slightly over exposed on the bulb but a lovely photo.

Many thanks for all the comments. Apologies for delay in acknowledging the responses and for getting so far behind. Have had a difficult few weeks, but intend to start the catch up now. Will also try and comment on some other threads in the next few days.

Phil

Week 8 - Handmade

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, f/11 @ 35 mm, 1/200, ISO 100

p917936620-5.jpg

Week 8

I tried several times to shoot this and found it tricky to get the lighting right - I was aiming for strong illumination on one side and hints of shadow detail on the other.

I kept getting glares and hot-spots so eventually I went for a diffused 40cm dish and a reflector.

Thanks for looking

Phil

Back