Photo52 2010 - Join Us

SimonTALM

Linford Christie
Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
When I started this last year it was a challenge for myself to grow and evolve as a photographer but since then it seems to have started a life of its own with many people coming onboard throughout the year. Each person had their own reasons for taking part but without exception I have witnessed all those that took part last year improve their photography massively. So why not join us this year for the 2010 Photo52, for those that aren’t aware of Photo52 let me introduce it.

In its simplest form, every week (usually on the Sunday) a theme is pulled from a bag (I call it the black bag of destiny ;)) and is posted in a new thread in the Competitions, Challenges and Inspiration section. During the following week anyone taking part posts a photo within the theme in their own special 52 thread in the Projects, Personal Challenges and Themes section (under General Photo Sharing). There is no competition element to this, you simply shoot for your own enjoyment, progression and sense of achievement.

INSTRUCTIONS

1) Wait for the theme to be announced (watch the Competitions, Challenges and Inspiration section) - I will post the first theme some time on 1st Jan (to give you a little extra time :))
2) Think about your the theme and how you want to photograph it
3) Take your Photo
4) Create yourself your own special thread for your own 52 in the The Projects, Personal Challenges and Themes section (that's under the General Photo Sharing)
5) Share your photo and your reasons for taking it plus if you feel like sharing what you learned this week
6) Take a look at some of the other 52s and post a few comments to encourage your fellow 52ers
7) Wait for the next theme to be announced (usually on Sundays - the second theme will be announced on the weekend of 9th / 10th )
8) Repeat steps 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 until the end of the year

Why themes?
Well it stems from the idea that I wanted to get the development of a 365 but with less time investment so I recognised that simply posting a random photo a week wouldn’t be that difficult so I came up with the idea of themes. Originally I thought of choosing and posting the theme for the following week when I posted the shot from the previous week but as pointed out (by StewartR IIRC) all I would be doing would be shooting a theme I fancied the next week. So the idea of pulling a random theme out the bag was born. I am sure those that have taken part in 2009 will join me to say that it is a real challenge. I would also go so far to say that despite it not having the kudos of a 365 I believe and would argue that it is actually harder.
Random themes have something in it for everyone from getting people considering areas of photography they wouldn’t normally shoot to giving more experienced togs with Pro aspirations the challenge of shooting great images that speak for the theme in a short timeframe when someone else is calling the shots and telling you what theme to shoot.
What are the themes?
As I am taking part and as I am putting the themes in the bag there could be accusations that I have an advantage so to make sure everyone has the same opportunity to prepare (if they wanted to) the list of the themes that were entered into the bag are listed in the next post

Special Features
RESHOOT cards – there are 5 RESHOOT cards that have been added to the bag and if one of these are pulled in a week a second card is pulled with a theme as normal and those taking part have 3 options
a) RESHOOT a theme from any of the previous weeks (the idea is that you can have a little break from thinking about another new theme and demonstrate to the world how much you’ve improved).
b) Shoot the week’s theme as normal ignoring the RESHOOT card
c) Prove you are a hardened 52er and RESHOOT a theme and shoot the new theme.
There will be at least 4 weeks between RESHOOT cards
JOKERS – new for 2010, if you don’t like a theme you can play a JOKER and use it to either
a) Miss the week completely
b) Post a photo that doesn’t fall within the drawn theme.

What are the rules?
There are no rules; or at least I don’t set any rules for you to follow. The idea is if you want to join in you make your own rules as it is your own personal challenge (but I would encourage you to define and share the rules you have chosen at the start of the year). If you want you can trawl your own archives, shoot 2 weeks behind the theme, have as many JOKERS as you want and there is nothing stopping you using the themes to do a 26 by picking one theme out of every 2.

If you want someone to set rules for you please feel free to share the rules I will be taking part with:
1) New photos will be taken each week specifically for the theme and only 1 photo will be selected as the shot for the week as this forces me to get out there take photos and pick the image I like best.
2) I may show any other shots taken in the week but if I do I will explain why I selected the shot I did (i.e. what I like about the image and what I don’t like).
3) I will share what I have learned that week and how I might approach it differently next time (or if I had more time)
4) No photos posted as my shot for the week will be posted as an entry in to the TP Monthly Competition
5) I will limit myself to 1 JOKER during the entire year and if I decide to play it I will still post a new photo.
6) Once I post my image I will provide meaningful feedback on at least 3 other 52ers shots for that week (I’d like to comment on everyone’s images but due to the sheer numbers of you now I can’t as I don’t want to spend my life on here posting comments)​

Start the next decade in style and come an join us.

The themes that are in the bag for 2010 are (remember these are pulled at random and most will not come out but feel free to start thinking about all of them now)

Abstract
Accomodation
Art
Authority
Axes
Beginnings
Blur
Bow
Broken
Buffet
Candid
Chaos
Chemistry
Chilled
China
Chocolate Box
Chopped
Close
Close Up
Closed
Clutter
Console
Covered
Crushed
Curved
Decoration
Delicate
Direction
Dirty
Distant
Distortion
Divided
Elaborate
Electric
Empty
Endings
Energy
Entrance
Evolution
Faith
Fear
Film
Finish
Foreign
Fragile
Framed
Game
Glass
Grace
Graffiti
Gravity
Grunge
Handmade
Hard
Hold
In Flight
Indulgence
Industry
Ingredients
Inversed
Isolation
Joy
Knowledge
Law
Lead
Light
Limb
Living
Machine
Man
Mean
Mechanical
Metal
Minute
Mobile
Moderation
Money
Nature
New
Noise
Object
Open
Pan
Paradox
Patterns
Pause
Peace
People
Play
Poem / Poetry
Pose/Posed
Present
Pride
Produce
Project
Proverb
Quad
Quality
Rage
Random
Rapid
Record
Refuse
Relaxation
Rescue
Romantic
Root
Row
Secret
Secure
Serene
Shape
Shiny
Shoot
Sigh
Signs
Single
Smell
Soft
Sour
Space
Speed
Stare
Starlight
Stop
Straight
Street
Style
Surfaces
Surreal
Sweet
Symmetry
Tear
Temperature
Together
Topical
Train
Transform
Trio
Twisted
Urban
Vice
Volume
Weave
Weird
Wind
Winner
Wood
Work
Wound
Wrong

Added as punishment on request :naughty:

Nice - "requested" by Briony
Black - "requested" by MadFrankie
White - "requested" by MadFrankie
Uniformity - "requested" by MadFrankie

I think that should be enough ;)

Count me in, looking forward to it!!

Worst case is I'll shot and upload from my iPhone but hoping it doesn't get to that.

Cheers for taking the time to organise it.

I am tempted, not sure I can cope with the structure - but I'd have even less chance with a 365... this way I suppose I get to do other stuff as well... in fact if I think about it having a subject thrust onto me might actually force me to think and plan more instead of pointing and clicking at what I see wherever I happen to be... hmm...

OK, count me in then - what do I do?

Arthur

:woot::woot: Call me mad, but am deffo doing it again this year. A full year for me. Doing the 52 has helped me immensly...And made me cry in frustration/despair etc. ;):LOL:

Count me in.

And thanks Simon for takin the time to do this.

I look forward to chatting with you all through the New Year.

I'm in, again. I'll have to think about what goals I want to set myself. This year's goals were

1 To get through the challenge
2 To post within the designated week, unless on holiday with no computer access.

The advantages of a large crowbar became obvious very early on, (Crowds!) but otherwise I think I might just make it to Week 52! :D

:exit: (muttering "I must be mad, I must be mad, I must....." ) :bang:

Jean

ok being a nube here, just how impossible is this challenge?

Being a nube is no handicap at all. We all found ourselves taking photos we'd never tried before (I did a close up of a slug, for God's sake!) and you can use 'Simon's Rules' or adapt them to suit yourself. It's good fun (mostly :eek:) and other 52ers are very honest and supportive.

Join in the fun. :) Hope to see you there in January. (y)

Jean

Count me in, finding a 365 a bit of a drag so this seem perfect for me.

I plan on challanging myself as much as possible with my photography this year so this will be perfect. I'm IN

I must be :nuts: .... but I'm in again.

Simon, do you think it would be worth getting the Mods to split out the 365 and 52's into two seperate forums ? That would make finding all the threads much easier.

Wow... it's gonna be a busy 52's year... ;)

Simon, do you think it would be worth getting the Mods to split out the 365 and 52's into two seperate forums ? That would make finding all the threads much easier.

(y) Now that's a good idea.
I try to keep up with everyone's, but most weeks I manage to miss one or two - and with the number of people joining next year it would definitely make life easier.

No harm in asking is there?

I reckon not... just not sure what the process should be..

I think it's a great idea! In fact, at this stage it's nearly due a whole sub forum of it's own :LOL:. I suggest Making the "Projects, Personal Challenges & Themes" a sub forum under General, and then making 365 and 52 sub forums under those? Then maybe an "Other" as a catch all for other personal projects?

Sounds like a great idea. Just got my camera yesterday, so will be perfect opportunity for me to better myself over the year :)

I think it's a great idea! In fact, at this stage it's nearly due a whole sub forum of it's own :LOL:. I suggest Making the "Projects, Personal Challenges & Themes" a sub forum under General, and then making 365 and 52 sub forums under those? Then maybe an "Other" as a catch all for other personal projects?

I'd vote for that. It would make finding threads so much easier. (y)(y)(y)

Jean

Back