Photo52 2010 - Join Us

I'm in, I wanted to do a 365, but when I thought about it, I just thought nooooo..!

Just an idea with the themes, as some of them I'm scrunching my face up at.. would there be any way to pick say.. 5 themes out of a hat, and whack them in a poll a week before that theme will start, then set the theme as the winner of the poll?

I know it restricts the whole point in being creative with just ONE theme, but then the ones that don't win can go back in the bag to be picked out again?

Other wise, tell me to hush-up and I will do the 52 either way ;)

Not sure on this idea, it means no surprises for a start... and some themes will just never get picked as they may be seen as "too hard/awkward/improbable/specific/wideranging". One a week, every week - it is digital after all, can't be that hard?

Arthur http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ambermile/titters/s***storm.gif

Not sure on this idea, it means no surprises for a start... and some themes will just never get picked as they may be seen as "too hard/awkward/improbable/specific/wideranging". One a week, every week - it is digital after all, can't be that hard?

You don't get the luxury of picking your own themes - one is picked at random each week by Simon. Not sure where being digital comes into to it - the difficulty is in thinking of a good way to interpret the theme.

As for your last statement - I challange you to take part and then you can decide how easy it is :D

good point. Only a little idea, I've just looked back over the theme list and it doesn't look like it did 10 minutes ago.. or maybe my right-brain has just woken up!

Not everyone shoots digital ;) (I do though..!)

You don't get the luxury of picking your own themes - one is picked at random each week by Simon. Not sure where being digital comes into to it - the difficulty is in thinking of a good way to interpret the theme.

As for your last statement - I challange you to take part and then you can decide how easy it is :D

Hmm? I am taking part, I didn't want the "luxury", my post was in reply to the previous one...

No waiting for developing, you can think all week and shoot the last day/hour/minute and still get in under the wire

I shoot film as well as digital, but bw is pretty fast anyway...

Arthur

Count me in too, I've got loads of hopes for 2010 for improving my photography and I think this will be just the thing I need to keep me motivated.

Hmm? I am taking part, I didn't want the "luxury", my post was in reply to the previous one...

Ahh - sorry, thought you meant the whole idea...

No problem, easy mistake now I read my post - will teach me to quote more often!

Arthur

Did my mojo wander in here?
scratchchin.gif

Fantastic idea, I’m newish on here and this would be a great motivator. Count me in.

Simon

Well, I have never done anything like this before... I wonder? I am going to struggle with this but it will be a great opportunity to expand my artistic braincells and camera skills.

My additional rule will be:

:rules: If I can't come up with anything for the weekly topic that is selected out of the hat, I am allowing myself to use firstly a 'synonym' of the word, and if still stuck then I can use an 'antonym' of the word. This should keep it roughly on topic but would give many more ideas, as well as learning me my Engerlish ploppery :nuts:

Example: Distortion

Definition: deformity; falsification

Synonyms: baloney, bend, bias, buckle, coloring, contortion, crock, crookedness, exaggeration, intorsion, jazz, jive, lie, line, malconformation, malformation, misinterpretation, misrepresentation, misshape, misstatement, misuse, mutilation, perversion, slant, smoke*, story*, tall story, torture, twist, twistedness, warp

Antonyms: beauty, clarity, perfection

I will need all the help I can get!

After the total failure last time,im going to give this a go again.
Life is much more accomodating for such things now,and hopefully i've improved enough too!

My additional rule will be:

:rules: If I can't come up with anything for the weekly topic that is selected out of the hat, I am allowing myself to use firstly a 'synonym' of the word, and if still stuck then I can use an 'antonym' of the word. This should keep it roughly on topic but would give many more ideas, as well as learning me my Engerlish ploppery :nuts:

Example: Distortion

Definition: deformity; falsification

Synonyms: baloney, bend, bias, buckle, coloring, contortion, crock, crookedness, exaggeration, intorsion, jazz, jive, lie, line, malconformation, malformation, misinterpretation, misrepresentation, misshape, misstatement, misuse, mutilation, perversion, slant, smoke*, story*, tall story, torture, twist, twistedness, warp

Hi there and welcome :wave:, I think we already use synonyms otherwise few of us would have any ideas :D

So I think the only thing you want to do differently is use antonyms (or a joker) (or a crowbar :D)

Ahh... sorry I must be a bit thick-headed after all that wine over christmas. In that case I might award myself a couple of extra jokers!

Thanks Bruja!

Right, I've been thinking about this and as much as I have enjoyed taking part in the 52 this year I am now thinking I will bow out for 2010 in favour of a different personal project. I think I will gain more now from really focusing on how I am taking the shots rather than on interpreting different themes each week. It's no secret that I have struggled to keep up a lot of the time in 2009 and I want to allow myself more time to take a more considered approach in 2010.

Good luck to everyone who is going to take part - it has really helped me this last year and was exactly what I needed when I was just starting out (y)

It will be weird not having a weekly challange... I reserve the right to change my mind!! :D

I'm in, dunno how all this works and havn't read all the thread yet, but I will in the next day or so.

failed misserably last time i tried but will make sure i do better this time guys.....

Right, I've been thinking about this and as much as I have enjoyed taking part in the 52 this year I am now thinking I will bow out for 2010 in favour of a different personal project. I think I will gain more now from really focusing on how I am taking the shots rather than on interpreting different themes each week. It's no secret that I have struggled to keep up a lot of the time in 2009 and I want to allow myself more time to take a more considered approach in 2010.

Good luck to everyone who is going to take part - it has really helped me this last year and was exactly what I needed when I was just starting out (y)

It will be weird not having a weekly challange... I reserve the right to change my mind!! :D

That's a shame Fi, I'll miss you over there.
Look forward to seeing your new personal challenge though.

I said last year I was going to do it in 2010 if it was still going.

Count me in........... I'm looking forward to the experience

Right, last time I tried to stick to the rules rigidly - and ended up bowing out quite early. I'm going to have another go this time - and use the relaxed version of the rules with a special interpretation.
I will use the theme on a week when I don't have a photo excursion planned. If I do go out I will try to shoot theme but I'll pull a joker and post my best from a trip whenever I feel fit.
I'm using this to make sure I keep picking the camera up this year. I have another personal project that I will be dedicating my time too but I want to do a 52 as well.

I have another personal project that I will be dedicating my time too but I want to do a 52 as well.

You're not the only one there. I got a new lens last month, and I've decided to shoot a whole theme with it. I think it's the best way for me to learn what it can actually do!

I'm looking forward to the first week with massive anticipation. It's like Christmas Day all over again!

I'm stuck in two minds about this, I'd like to have a good crack at this as I need something to make me get the camera out at least once a week, but having looked at the current threads I really don't know if I'm up to scratch, there's some really good work going on for 2009.

Ok chaps and chapesses, i'll dip my oars in this pool and see how far i can row. My only rule is that i must make it past the first month, i should be having a knee op after that so i may have to take my leave or at least play catch up at some point.

I'm stuck in two minds about this, I'd like to have a good crack at this as I need something to make me get the camera out at least once a week, but having looked at the current threads I really don't know if I'm up to scratch, there's some really good work going on for 2009.

Well if you want to try and improve this is an excellent way - don't worry about the standard of anyone elses shots, it's not a competition. The whole point is for you to get something out of it - the best thing I got this year was lots of constructive feedback. I say go for it! (y)

That's a shame Fi, I'll miss you over there.
Look forward to seeing your new personal challenge though.

Thanks Sarah - I will still try to pop in... and I will probably secretly be wanting to join in too!

Been working on ideas for a project today and it is going to be another year long escapade so I will be lurking around the Projects / Personal Challanges forum a fair bit :)

Ok as a complete noob to all this can someone tell me what I actually do (other than take photos that fit the theme...ish).

Ie, when do I make a thread, do I need to call it anything in particular, what do I post, do lots of other people post in my thread with comments, feedback etc?

Basically a technical rundown of how to do this 52. Thanks chaps.

I'm in. I've decided that this year I'm going to actually start doing the things I keep thinking about doing.

Bring it on.

I must have eaten a great big bowl of stupid but I will give it a go.

I may have to play 52 jokers though :LOL:

Andy

Ok as a complete noob to all this can someone tell me what I actually do (other than take photos that fit the theme...ish).

Ie, when do I make a thread, do I need to call it anything in particular, what do I post, do lots of other people post in my thread with comments, feedback etc?

Basically a technical rundown of how to do this 52. Thanks chaps.

We all create our threads in here. You can see last years 52s for examples. Basically keep a thread running for the whole year and post your weekly shot in there.

Only need a crowbar if you don't yet have the confidence to go all arty and explain how the photo of a roll of sellotape somehow meets the theme of Oceanic :p

Seriously, if your thought path with a theme leads you to take a certain photograph then all you need to do is explain your mental processing. We can then decide if we need to call the men in white coats to take you to a nice comfortable room in a nice warm hug jacket

Lord knows I've come up with some funked up 'connections' between my pics and the theme!

Damn bleddy right :eek: :LOL:

Will miss you lots!
Tbh, I am going to going forward with doing a 52, but I may very well pull out, for the reasons you've mentioned really. To a tee, actually.
I'm doing the personal challenge as well, which I deff WONT be giving up. I can see the possibility of me leaving official 52, and just doing a couple shots a week for the personal challenge. BUT, never say never. Innit.

Are complete amateurs allowed to join? A challenge like this one is exactly what I need to finally get moving...

.. or to kill myself before I even get to learn anything ;)

Are complete amateurs allowed to join? A challenge like this one is exactly what I need to finally get moving...

.. or to kill myself before I even get to learn anything ;)

Please do join in and please don't kill yourself :(

I have never done anything like this before so you will not be alone, there will be plenty of help around if you need it :D

Please do join in and please don't kill yourself :(

I have never done anything like this before so you will not be alone, there will be plenty of help around if you need it :D
You got it! Sounds fun, can't wait for the first challenge :naughty:

Ok, total n00b at this but I'll give it a go. But when the theme is pan expect a photo of the contents of my kitchen cupboard :tumbleweed:

Back