Photo52 2011 - Wk 48 Cute added

Hi, Tina, glad you're still taking on the challenge...(y)

#1 seems to be a, and it's not a phrase I use often, 'grab shot'. No real planning. Now planning isn't always a necessity but I can see you didn't have the time/inclination to think this one through. It looks quite flat on my laptop and the shadows are an issue - they reduce the detail in the sculpture. The composition doesn't do it justice.

#2, is better and I like the tension created by having the dogs in the very lower left corner, also with the dogs looking out of the frame.

I'd like to see a bit more motion - to get some blur in his arm.

It looks like a really interesting location.

Anyway.....you need to keep at it and finish the project. (y)

Cheers.

Hi Andy, thanks for looking. I agree that the place is full of potential and I rather liked the poor man up to his knees :(

As for the rapid shot, I wasn't so sure of that as it was a bit of a grab itself, but this was the best I got :shrug:

I will persevere and try to complete, thanks for your encouragement.

hi tina..

love that explosion of colour .. very app and the sort of leaves you shot appear to be exploding.. (y)

weaving of branches .. i did have to scroll for the theme but can see it...shame the green shoot got in the way IMO:shrug:

rescue... please say you rescued the poor chap, your dog?? is about to stick his cold nose where the sun ain't shining..

Rapid: love the dogs scooting almost out of shot... thats fast ... (y)

Hiya Tina,

Great catch up so far, please keep at it as you have done so well and we are not many weeks to go till the end. You will regret it next year if you don't complete.

Rescue: This one is definitely poignant for the theme. It is a pity about the shadow, but guess you would of had to deal with shadow from any direction judging by the clear sky (of which I may have been tempted to clone out the vapour trails). Nice touch of the doggy in shot .... almost like his sniffing to determine the best way to rescue the poor chap.

Rapid: I like this one, the shadow and the doggies leading out of shot portray a sense of rapid motion.

Paradox: Not sure of the connection with this one ... but then I don't know much about golf to comment on the relation to same. I do however like the first shot with the trees framing the golfers.

Explode: Now this is my type of shot and I love the colours. I may have been tempted to give it a tighter crop, especially right and bottom.

Weave: Great natural idea for the theme ... it is amazing how nature can present so much opportunity to fit with the themes throughout this project. Once again I would have considered a tighter crop to focus more on the twigs inter-weaving. I reckon a slight rotation and centre crop would benefit this photo.

Well done and I sure hope you keep with the project till the end.

Take care

Cheers

Dawn :)

Kev and Dawn thanks for dropping by and giving me your thoughts, much appreciated. i haven't given up but am struggling ;) Your consideration helps enormously (y)

Hiya Tina,

You are welcome ;) We are here to support each other, and please don't feel alone in how you feel, I think the most of us have felt the same at some point, especially now towards the end. It has been a long haul and the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Please keep up .... I would love you to be up there with us at the end to celebrate our personal achievements, and not least as a team. We have all been a great support to each other over the year and some great friendships forged from same.

BTW just seen you have added Abstract and I love the colours and detail. Nature is a true artist for us :D

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Tina

Well done on the catch up... its sometimes sooo hard to keep up... I wish I had the time of some of the other 52ers.

Paradox... I defo agree golf is a paradox... I think its a great way to spoil a good walk in the country. I used to play but gave up as I was never that good and never had the right mental dexterity for the game. I like your golf shots although I think you may have been able to make more of them with a little wider angled view or maybe something with more of a scene. Im just not sure what the shots are trying to achieve to display the theme... what I mean is if it was someone duffing a shot in the bunker or stuck in the rough hacking a ball out it would be more obvious. The shots themselves are fine though and looks like you did not have the best light that day. The bunker being cropped out is distracting.

Explosion is a great take on the theme... I like how you have some leaves turned brown/ red and others still green. I think you could crop much tighter round removing the bottom and right third of the shot and putting the red leave in the bottom third of the shot. This would make it stand out more!

Like Kevin I find the green shoot to the left anoying. You may have just broken it out the way... or why not crop it out!

I like your abstract shot... I think it would benefit from being out of focus more maybe?
defo is an abstract photo!

Mark

Hiya Tina,

You are welcome ;) We are here to support each other, and please don't feel alone in how you feel, I think the most of us have felt the same at some point, especially now towards the end. It has been a long haul and the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Please keep up .... I would love you to be up there with us at the end to celebrate our personal achievements, and not least as a team. We have all been a great support to each other over the year and some great friendships forged from same.

BTW just seen you have added Abstract and I love the colours and detail. Nature is a true artist for us :D

Cheers

Thanks Dawn,

I believe that Nature is a the only artist ;) We all use her guidance.

I think abstract is great. Nice DOF and colourings. (y)

Thanks Joe, glad you like it

Hi Tina

Well done on the catch up... its sometimes sooo hard to keep up... I wish I had the time of some of the other 52ers.

Paradox... I defo agree golf is a paradox... I think its a great way to spoil a good walk in the country. I used to play but gave up as I was never that good and never had the right mental dexterity for the game. I like your golf shots although I think you may have been able to make more of them with a little wider angled view or maybe something with more of a scene. Im just not sure what the shots are trying to achieve to display the theme... what I mean is if it was someone duffing a shot in the bunker or stuck in the rough hacking a ball out it would be more obvious. The shots themselves are fine though and looks like you did not have the best light that day. The bunker being cropped out is distracting.

Explosion is a great take on the theme... I like how you have some leaves turned brown/ red and others still green. I think you could crop much tighter round removing the bottom and right third of the shot and putting the red leave in the bottom third of the shot. This would make it stand out more!

Like Kevin I find the green shoot to the left anoying. You may have just broken it out the way... or why not crop it out!

I like your abstract shot... I think it would benefit from being out of focus more maybe?
defo is an abstract photo!

Mark

Thanks Mark

The golf shots had to be taken from the public footpath through the middle and I timed it badly so few players...I suspect they were at the 19th hole ;)

Explode, I see what you mean about a crop...I didn't want it too tight but can see the possibility.

The weave shot was hard when I got down to it as these old hedges are well disguised! This was one of the few spots I could actually get a shot of it at all. The green shoot was too strong for me to garden (a sucker from a nearby tree) and I have no cloning tools, a the moment.

I'm glad you like my abstract shot; I tried a shot with the branches oof as well as the background but it just looked...well...oof! I decided I really liked the contrast between the wildly mixed branches with the background giving colour (there was none in the sky!).

Thanks folks I really appreciate the time you take to look (y)

Tina, now that's what I call a comeback.

Paradox, cracking image and cracking interpretation. Well framed and eye contact from the lady (?). A tad too much empty FG for me and just a second or so sooner and the framing would be spot on. Overall, really well done here...(y)

Explode, nice details and colours. Fits the theme well. Perhaps a crop of the RH and bottom to put the main leave in the upper right third?

Weave, well spotted. The only issue, and I know you couldn't very well hack them down, are the saplings to the front right and left.

Abstract, I've been pondering this theme and finding it harder than expected. I wouldn't have thought to do a nature abstract, I was looking to do an industrial type image. Looks a bit blurred in parts...no EXIF data in Flickr, so it may be down to the F stop/shutter speed used.

One of the best project recoveries so far so big (y)

Cheers.

Tina, now that's what I call a comeback.

Paradox, cracking image and cracking interpretation. Well framed and eye contact from the lady (?). A tad too much empty FG for me and just a second or so sooner and the framing would be spot on. Overall, really well done here...(y)

Explode, nice details and colours. Fits the theme well. Perhaps a crop of the RH and bottom to put the main leave in the upper right third?

Weave, well spotted. The only issue, and I know you couldn't very well hack them down, are the saplings to the front right and left.

Abstract, I've been pondering this theme and finding it harder than expected. I wouldn't have thought to do a nature abstract, I was looking to do an industrial type image. Looks a bit blurred in parts...no EXIF data in Flickr, so it may be down to the F stop/shutter speed used.

One of the best project recoveries so far so big (y)

Cheers.

Andy, thanks for your feedback.

Paradox, I really should go out photographing without a Jack Russel tied to my waist! My first shot of these was framed...eccentrically :nuts: due to a sudden move by a local squirrel:naughty:

Explode, I'm beginning to see this crop...now!

Weave, I used to ride the horse with secatuers in my pack for trimming overhanging branches, beginning to think I should add them to my camera bag ;)

Abstract, I think this suffered from the squirrels also :nuts: I think it is the Fastone that strips the exif...willl look into that.

Thank you for taking the time and being so positive ;)

Tina, A great catch up, well done. My thoughts have been covered. Really do like explode! (y)

Thanks for looking and your encouragement Michael. I find this a magnificent time of the year as teh colours do explode to me!

Hi Tina....good to see your catch up shots...keep going girlie...only a few more weeks left :)

Love the colors for Explode...true autumn colors & surround by the green they stand out really well :clap:........& nice to see a different take on the theme

Your image for Weave also appeals...nicely spotted & again out of the box thinking (y)

Hi Tina....good to see your catch up shots...keep going girlie...only a few more weeks left :)

Love the colors for Explode...true autumn colors & surround by the green they stand out really well :clap:........& nice to see a different take on the theme

Your image for Weave also appeals...nicely spotted & again out of the box thinking (y)

Thanks for your kind comments, Lynne. I intend to keep trying, not one to just give in...encouragement is greatly appreciated :D

Tina... i mistook elaborate for an abstract shot... would have worked either way i guess...

Pair is good, i like the way they are both grazing, with coats..shame i guess you couldn't get closer ..:shrug: i think its that fence.. a nice wooden one would have gone down a treat..

..and as for Mix..well i erm.. after my last Oktoberfest photo, i won't say what i thought the mixture of tree trunks reminded me of... :nuts: .. but if it works for you (y) because its defo mixed

Tina... i mistook elaborate for an abstract shot... would have worked either way i guess...

Pair is good, i like the way they are both grazing, with coats..shame i guess you couldn't get closer ..:shrug: i think its that fence.. a nice wooden one would have gone down a treat..

..and as for Mix..well i erm.. after my last Oktoberfest photo, i won't say what i thought the mixture of tree trunks reminded me of... :nuts: .. but if it works for you (y) because its defo mixed

Kev, thanks for your views. I think you are right about Elaborate and Abstract but ;}

I would have preferred a wooden fence but the prevalence of tape is all across the land!

I can't imagine what you mistook my Mix offering :thinking:

Hi Tina,

Mix ain't sayin mix to me.
I see 'multi' in this image, which is from my old Surveyor days when I used to have all sorts of trees chopped down. The trees are 'multi' stemmed!

Elaborate is good, I love the colours and texture of the rock.

Pair could do with a crop off the bottom, but it hits the theme.

Good to see you still in the 52.

Hi Tina,

Mix ain't sayin mix to me.
I see 'multi' in this image, which is from my old Surveyor days when I used to have all sorts of trees chopped down. The trees are 'multi' stemmed!

You are as pedantic as myself ;)

Elaborate is good, I love the colours and texture of the rock.

Thanks, glad you like it (y)

Pair could do with a crop off the bottom, but it hits the theme.

Good to see you still in the 52.

Looking at this again... I think you are right

Thank you for your encouragement

Hi, there, l I have to express ignorance at your mix....:thinking:

Elaborate is a great and simple idea. It does have a canyon feel to it. I'd like to see a crop off the right and bottom to remove the darker patch.

Pair, now I've held back on commenting on this one because I thought about it. It looks like you just walked past and snapped a photograph. Too much space at the bottom, horses are facing slightly away.

Safe #1, now this is a different story. I really, really like this one. Great colours, nice and close, great composition. It almost has a 3D effect. I'd like to see a tad more depth.

#2, fits the theme but not a patch on #1.

Cheers.

Hiya Tina, I like the composition of number 1, but prefer the lighting of number 2, so perhaps a cropped version of number 2 as I find the oof hinge a little destracting.

Hinge? Tut, hasp and staple ;) So you prefer the deeper dof and the diffused flash lit, I can see where you are, I think I would

Hi Tina,

I like #1 but, but I would have liked it more if the padlock was the other way around and the rust was in focus. DOF works well in the shot too.

Oh, and I know you're on the posh side of the Mersey, but it would be safer if you locked it!

I decided to add a question to the theme, hence open padlock. But I did contemplate the swivel but not lock but it looked...awkward :shrug: Obviously if I locked it there would be less interesting rust.

Hi, there, l I have to express ignorance at your mix....:thinking:

Elaborate is a great and simple idea. It does have a canyon feel to it. I'd like to see a crop off the right and bottom to remove the darker patch.

Pair, now I've held back on commenting on this one because I thought about it. It looks like you just walked past and snapped a photograph. Too much space at the bottom, horses are facing slightly away.

Safe #1, now this is a different story. I really, really like this one. Great colours, nice and close, great composition. It almost has a 3D effect. I'd like to see a tad more depth.

#2, fits the theme but not a patch on #1.

Cheers.

I think I'm the only one who saw my Mix as mix!

Elaborate is my favourite to date, I see what you mean about those areas but I didn't want it too 'perfect'

For Pair I did spot them on a walk out (most of my photography is that) but I saw them in my head as a pair.

Safe, looks like the vote is on #1 with alterations all round!

Thanks all for your time and help (y)

Tina,

Love the first SAFE shot. :clap:

Why? Well, you have used the rule of thirds, with the apex of the padlock on the third line intersection, and the clasp cutting across the top third. You have a nice lead in line coming up from the bottom right corner (the top and bottom of the padlock), and a sympathetic lead in line running up through the left hand side of the padlock.
The lighting has given the textures of the wood great feel and depth, and the rust on the padlock. Overall great composition. :clap:(y)

It is a tad under exposed, and you could push the levels in PP a little to correct that.
I do agree also, that it would have been nicer to have more of the padlock in focus, so the texture in the rust could have been appreciated.

Now why doesn’t shot 2 work? :thinking:

For me it is the on camera flash has killed any depth, texture and atmosphere you created in shot 1. The composition follows the rules, but the lighting just kills the shot dead. Even cropping out the vast amount of dead space around the lock won’t give you that great shot you captured in photo 1.

Hopefully you can easily see why the most important part is lighting the subject, and why on camera flash is awful!!! :puke:
Same subject matter, two totally different results.

Well done for shot 1, it’s a cracker!
:clap:

Adie

Tina,

Love the first SAFE shot. :clap:

Why? Well, you have used the rule of thirds, with the apex of the padlock on the third line intersection, and the clasp cutting across the top third. You have a nice lead in line coming up from the bottom right corner (the top and bottom of the padlock), and a sympathetic lead in line running up through the left hand side of the padlock.
The lighting has given the textures of the wood great feel and depth, and the rust on the padlock. Overall great composition. :clap:(y)

It is a tad under exposed, and you could push the levels in PP a little to correct that.
I do agree also, that it would have been nicer to have more of the padlock in focus, so the texture in the rust could have been appreciated.

Now why doesn’t shot 2 work? :thinking:

For me it is the on camera flash has killed any depth, texture and atmosphere you created in shot 1. The composition follows the rules, but the lighting just kills the shot dead. Even cropping out the vast amount of dead space around the lock won’t give you that great shot you captured in photo 1.

Hopefully you can easily see why the most important part is lighting the subject, and why on camera flash is awful!!! :puke:
Same subject matter, two totally different results.

Well done for shot 1, it’s a cracker!
:clap:

Adie

Thanks for your kind comments on #1. I know a lot of folk get upset when one uses rule of thirds, but I find it more often right than wrong! The light was horrid, my camera has dreadful results over iso 800 and to be honest I didn't try that high :bang: should have :thinking:

I know on camera flash is :puke: but I stuck an old milk carton on top and hoped, but I agree that it just flattened the textures.

I did about 8 or 10 shots of that padlock and hasp and was pleased at the number of outcomes even if most went in the trash :naughty:

This has been a very interesting session

Thanks for your help.

Hiya Tina,

Hope you are keeping well babes.

OMG I can't believe how far behind I am with commenting on fellow 52'ers posts, so here I am doing a quick catch up.

Mix: Hmmmm :thinking: I'm trying to find the connection here, but I think I know what you are aiming at ... the combo of, or co-habitation of different flaura? :shrug:

Elaborate: Now this one I like and guess this is SOOC .... with a slight bit of pp, i.e., increase in shadows and saturation ... this would make a very unique abstract shot.

Pair: Like the shot .... however I find the blurred branches a bit distracting .... so perhaps a tighter crop would work better :shrug:

Safe: 1# does it for me most .... great composition, DOF and colour :clap:

Cheers

Hiya Tina,

Hope you are keeping well babes.

OMG I can't believe how far behind I am with commenting on fellow 52'ers posts, so here I am doing a quick catch up.

Mix: Hmmmm :thinking: I'm trying to find the connection here, but I think I know what you are aiming at ... the combo of, or co-habitation of different flaura? :shrug:

Elaborate: Now this one I like and guess this is SOOC .... with a slight bit of pp, i.e., increase in shadows and saturation ... this would make a very unique abstract shot.

Pair: Like the shot .... however I find the blurred branches a bit distracting .... so perhaps a tighter crop would work better :shrug:

Safe: 1# does it for me most .... great composition, DOF and colour :clap:

Cheers

Hi Dawn

My Mix submission has only satisfied me with the concept :LOL: I think every view has been :nono: on theme. Sigh, c'est la vie :shrug:

Elaborate is pretty much as it came out of the camera. When I find the correct external and plug in I might have a play with it. Glad you like it

Pair is a long shot! Will look again when i find that external (somewhere safe is where I put it :confused:)

Safe, seem the universal is that of #1. I was rather pleased with that myself. Good to have my instinct confirmed by an Internationally known photographer.

Thanks for your time and energy

Tina

Back