Photography Show 2017

Yeah Im just back too, as you said comic con is on so plenty photo ops in the hall outside.

Loved the egg shaped drone but didn't see it flying, spent a lot of time in the canon area, went to see Lara Jade, she was good, not bad on the eye either.

Cant get over some of the gitzo tripods, they were literally 10ft tall on display. I didn't take my cameras in but the guys at canon told me to take them in and try lenses so off I went and took them in.

First look at the 3 new sigma lenses, £1300 for the 135, its bloody massive too, the 24-70 is nice and hopefully good. Tried a sigma 85 1.4 on my 5D4 and let the guy from sigma play with my 1DXII, thats some lens.

Lastly I went to Nikon to play with the D5, not a very nice camera to hold unlike the 1DXII, felt strangely positioned in the hands. the menus are dreadful but no doubt its a great body, mounted on it was the 105mm lens, that was lovely.

Still plenty to see tomorrow and do, thankfully, got round just under half I think so far.
Are you able to try sigma lenses by just asking them?

I was impressed with the show, I think Nikon was let its self down.. the stands didn't show off the bodies or lenses very well so you could queue up and soon find out you needed to be on the other side some where..

Very impressed with the Fuji, Canon, manfrotto, billingham and atomos stands with a great turn out and some very interesting products on show.

Kai, Lok, dan and a few others were there filming, unfortunately I was loud on a few occasions as were the gents at billingham I was speaking with so sorry lok!

Some great deals to be had and some terrible ones. I saw a lot of "was £299.99, show price £299.00"... 99p is 99p but seriously come on!! A lot of deals had sold out too by about 3pm and some stores were trying to get by using PayPal card readers and 3G..

All in all a good day, some odd fragrances lingered the halls though so if you have a poor gag reflex I'd recommend not eating until your back outside in the fresh air!

Are you able to try sigma lenses by just asking them?

Yep. I did ask to use the 135 but they only have one on display. Was asking prices too £1300 for the 135 I think it was.

Same with Canon, loads of lenses to try something had a play with the new 35 1.4III and a couple others.

Yeah Im just back too, as you said comic con is on so plenty photo ops in the hall outside.

Loved the egg shaped drone but didn't see it flying, spent a lot of time in the canon area, went to see Lara Jade, she was good, not bad on the eye either.

Cant get over some of the gitzo tripods, they were literally 10ft tall on display. I didn't take my cameras in but the guys at canon told me to take them in and try lenses so off I went and took them in.

First look at the 3 new sigma lenses, £1300 for the 135, its bloody massive too, the 24-70 is nice and hopefully good. Tried a sigma 85 1.4 on my 5D4 and let the guy from sigma play with my 1DXII, thats some lens.

Lastly I went to Nikon to play with the D5, not a very nice camera to hold unlike the 1DXII, felt strangely positioned in the hands. the menus are dreadful but no doubt its a great body, mounted on it was the 105mm lens, that was lovely.

Still plenty to see tomorrow and do, thankfully, got round just under half I think so far.

The Lara jade talk, was that today only? Or is it same time everyday for 4 days?

I thought the oposite! I thought the Canon stand was dark and dingy and the 1DX11 feels like a 'blob' in the hands where as the Nikon D5 is beautifully sculpted and handles like a thoroughbred - especially with the 105mm lens on it!

Unfortunately deals were sadly lacking IMO with prices considerably higher than what can be had elsewhere - I think I managed the only reasonable purchase in a Sirui ball head & an excellent camera/sensor clean for £40:)

Comic con was good :)

_DSC8856 by Fraser White, on Flickr

_DSC8917 BW by Fraser White, on Flickr

Last edited:
It was mainly a seminar day for me.

I am only really interested in 5DsR which is effectively priced at £2400 after double cashback... not quite there yet. You could clearly see the prices of the lenses had gone up by some 10% from the previous year.

Maybe I will pick up some tripod last thing on Tuesday provided further discounting takes place... I am likely to need one before it is 2018.

I thought the oposite! I thought the Canon stand was dark and dingy and the 1DX11 feels like a 'blob' in the hands where as the Nikon D5 is beautifully sculpted and handles like a thoroughbred - especially with the 105mm lens on it!

Comic con was good :)

_DSC8856 by Fraser White, on Flickr

_DSC8917 BW by Fraser White, on Flickr

Maybe the 1DX Mark 11 will be a blob, but the mark II definitely not :D
I do agree the 105 lens was something else. I'm going to keep playing with that d5 today. See if it makes anymore sense. The stand was packed too so I didn't get to see the D810, really like the images from these cameras.

Nice photos Fraser. :canon::nikon::D

Have Canon got their newish 50-1000 with built in 1.5x extender at the show? That's a fun one to try.

Did anyone notice if they had stock of fuji xT20 and if any discounts?
Cheers
They had the new medium format fuji there and it was a brick!

I also tried the Hasselblad mirroless medium format and that's only slightly bigger then my Sony a7r2! It was insane

I loved the Ui of the camera! Very modern and slick! Why can't Canon etc have modern Ui?

I was there yesterday with a mate - second year attending.

Plenty to see on the shop floor from the various manufacturers - it seemed to be year of the tripod though, they were everywhere! We saw a few recognisable faces of YouTube fame too.

I'm always a bit dubious about "show deals" as invariably you can find items cheaper online - but it's good to get your hands on the kit.

I would agree with some of the earlier comments - those that seemed to have come out with every single item of photography equipment they own, looked a bit ridiculous - as there really isn't much to shoot, unless comic con tweens, is your thing. There were also far too many middle aged men that clearly hadn't heard of antiperspirant- which was pleasant...

We didn't buy much - a lens pen, and a couple of accessories from DJI, but had a great day overall :)

Tbh I was rather disappointed overall ,yes it was great if you had a specific item to look at ,the only lens I wanted to see was the sigma 100-400 and that was safely tucked up behind glass ,the new eos-m 5 interested me but I think I would rather look in the more private confines of a local dealer where you can spend more time appraising it .
As for bargains I think that prices were possibly raised rather that lowered this year ,in previous years there have been bargains to be had but nothing caught my eye and my total show spend amounted to a £1 for a copy of this weeks AP .
And like others I spent time taking pictures of the comicon attendees who were willing models

My daughter is going today and has taken her camera with two lenses (one attached)

Is there a better way to see how things fit when you want to buy a new bag?

I went for the first time yesterday. The best stuff was the half of the day I spent listening to various free talks. I had a play around with a few cameras but given the number of people who want to do the same it's not actually the best place to do so (I'd be better off jumping in the car and going to the less hectic environment of Park Cameras).

Maybe the 1DX Mark 11 will be a blob, but the mark II definitely not :D
I do agree the 105 lens was something else. I'm going to keep playing with that d5 today. See if it makes anymore sense. The stand was packed too so I didn't get to see the D810, really like the images from these cameras.

Nice photos Fraser. :canon::nikon::D

I think it's a bit like the Mac & PC debate - they are both similar but it is the differences (Menu's/Focusing etc) that make 'the other' to what you are using feel a bit awkward to start with. Both great camera's though!

Would love an D810 but would also need a computer upgrade to handle the bigger files and it's replacement will be out soon so probably looking at a price drop. More than happy with my D3 at present that still does everything I need. (I also liked the Pentax 645Z)

Last edited:
I went for the first time yesterday. The best stuff was the half of the day I spent listening to various free talks. I had a play around with a few cameras but given the number of people who want to do the same it's not actually the best place to do so (I'd be better off jumping in the car and going to the less hectic environment of Park Cameras).
I wonder if any manage to get to their 100-300,000 activation "life" without ever actually taking a photo!

Went to the show yesterday (first time) and thought it was pretty good in terms of the number and quality of the stands/displays. There seemed to be a *lot* of stands offering printing type services though. Thought the Nikon and Canon stands were good and allowed some hand holding of the latest models, etc. Sigma seemed to have a big presence and are clearly gunning for a big share of the market - some good lenses on display. Biggest disappointment for me was the lack of any 'show discounts' on decent cameras. I am seriously toying with getting a D500, preferably part ex-ing my D7100. There were only about 3 stands there actually selling stuff (e.g. Calumet, Camera World). Spoke to the Camera World guy (mainly because they were advertising 10% more on trade ins), but he didn't seem at all interested in working out at decent price for the D7100 (just said 'around £250' which seemed low to me??) against the price of a D500 (at £1729). None of the retailers were offering *any* kind of show discount on a D500 (they were all at £1729 - funny that!). I am not saying they *should* offer a discount (I guess they know they can sell them at full retail??), but surely some people like me go to these shows to 'do a deal'. May as well just buy one off eBay for £1400. Shame really.

Hmm previous years there has been some very good discounts so sounds like a reversal for this year,shame

Tbh the only lens I wanted to see was the sigma 100-400 and that was safely tucked up behind glass

We got to have a proper look at the new Sigma 100-400 - just asked at the Sigma stand! It's surprisingly compact and light. They wouldn't confirm the exact release price, but did say it'd be around £800

Pulled pork? (Link probably NSFW unless you work in the AI industry and are after some tips...)
Is that something to do with David Cameron and his exploits while at University?

My first time at this show. I usually drive down for shows here, overnight then drive home, but managed to get a decent deal on flybe return to Edinburgh same day which was a result.

I was very impressed with the show. Great to get hands-on and walk round listening to the stand demo's, mainly about lighting but found it very interesting. Some talented folks out there and all are approachable and able to get there message across. I never booked into any of the paid shows/seminars, but think I will do in the future.

All the main companies had good set-ups allowing hands on and most had reps on stand who knew what they were talking about, some 'eye candy' reps on the stands did not have a clue when asked about their products. Talking of eye candy, it never amazes me whatever show you go to, be it cars or tech as soon as they show you get the typical bunch of guys thrusting super zoom lenses at them and auto firing 50 shots like show paparazzi.

I had a plan to buy myself some new gear if I got a deal as I'd sold my canon set-up a few weeks back. I knew what I was after and what it would cost via the usual suppliers. After talking to all the outlets at the show and a little haggling (albeit not much more than show reductions, but every little helps) I flew home with a Sony a7rii and a couple of lenses. So all in a good day out.

Currently at the show and for shopping, for Nikon kit, it's a total waste of time, everything I want is at retail price.

Seriously think this is the last time I'm attending, if it wasn't for the free talks I'd be on my way home already!

The refurbs are more expensive than new stock was last year!

I got a small Nest bag for £20 off, some paper that turns out to be a penny more than Premier Ink charge, and some expired Lomography redscale film for around half price. I was looking at Vanguard tripods which looked to be much cheaper than Monfrotto (and really solid and flexible, if that makes sense!) but ran out of time. They gave me a discount voucher but the web site prices seem a LOT dearer. If anyone's going past the Vanguard stall (@Andysnap ?) and can get a price for an Alta Pro 2+ 263CT or 264CT I'd be grateful! If it's cheap enough I can always go back Tuesday.

I got a small Nest bag for £20 off, some paper that turns out to be a penny more than Premier Ink charge, and some expired Lomography redscale film for around half price. I was looking at Vanguard tripods which looked to be much cheaper than Monfrotto (and really solid and flexible, if that makes sense!) but ran out of time. They gave me a discount voucher but the web site prices seem a LOT dearer. If anyone's going past the Vanguard stall (@Andysnap ?) and can get a price for an Alta Pro 2+ 263CT or 264CT I'd be grateful! If it's cheap enough I can always go back Tuesday.

Huh? I'm not at the show Chris but after lunch I'll ask my mum and dad if they can help.

Well just got back rather disappointed it never been the same past 3 years crap before that was pretty good and deals to have

Back