Photography Show 2017

having a think ,but i don't know why the organisers haven't thought of setting up a block of several studio type scenarios in the outer hall and getting a rotation of models to pose in them ,even inviting some of the comicon participants to pose in them ,it would certainly de-clutter the main hall of creep-peeps trying to catch a hint of flesh around the stands ,and allow people that are really interested in the equipment to view and buy properly .

having a think ,but i don't know why the organisers haven't thought of setting up a block of several studio type scenarios in the outer hall and getting a rotation of models to pose in them ,even inviting some of the comicon participants to pose in them ,it would certainly de-clutter the main hall of creep-peeps trying to catch a hint of flesh around the stands ,and allow people that are really interested in the equipment to view and buy properly .

Got to agree, was actually embarrassing at times at some of the stands. I felt uncomfortable and moved on when this happened. Although most of the models were understandably encouraging the creep-peeps whilst friends were handing out their contact cards.

Plenty of creep peeps outside shooting the comic con women. Some very scantily clad women. Of course I was out there shooting too.

Another enjoyable day. That's day 2 done and tomorrow's my last day. Didn't get to see everything yet so I'm pleased I have another day tomorrow.

Helen Sloan who shoots the stills for game if thrones was excellent. Had her talk as soon as I got in this morning. Then I had the turning pro masterclass, that was only half an hour but really enjoyable. People came in with literally minutes left of the show though.

Spent a lot of time playing with the Sony a7rII and 85mm 1.4G master. Nice combo but the images didn't look too great on the camera.

Went to see the lastolite by manfrotto right at the end. Some really interesting gear.

Oh and I walked past Alessio Putzu, he was doing a talk at the Nisi filter stand. His images were out of this world good. Had a wee chat with him after. Really night guy as are most I've spoken too.

And finally bumped into Lok from digital rev. Got a selfie with him too haha.

Huh? I'm not at the show Chris but after lunch I'll ask my mum and dad if they can help.

Sorry Andy, something you wrote a few days ago suggested to me you might be going!

Sorry Andy, something you wrote a few days ago suggested to me you might be going!

I did consider it but i figured it might turn out to be too expensive.

I think Nikon was let its self down.. the stands didn't show off the bodies or lenses very well so you could queue up and soon find out you needed to be on the other side some where..
Granted the stand could have been designed a little better but I found the availability of bodies and lenses quite acceptable, however I did leave at 2pm so I probably missed the crowds?

None of the retailers were offering *any* kind of show discount on a D500 (they were all at £1729 - funny that!).
I'm positive someone had one for sale at £1425?

I'm not sure what to make of this years show, it's very similar to previous years with similar stands. Only went to one behind the lens talk and although it was a larger theatre than previously it was three deep stand at the back even 10 minutes before the start time. I though John Miskelly was good, talking about composition and light rather than kit which is always refreshing at these type of shows. Unfortunately Luke Massey's talk was cancelled from the behind the lens line up (I had planned my talk schedule since start of March) I was looking forward to that. It was a shame Canon and Nikon clashed the Andy Rouse and David Yarrow talk times so it was impossible to do both. Andy Rouse was on good form (you either like him or you don't), he had some stunning images (got to love tiger cubs and his plane stuff is a little different). Richard Peters was good too, nice to see how images develop over the time of a project.

Kit wise it's the usual offerings, some good prices if you are willing to search for them (used D810 for £1300). There was a good range of printers and it was nice to see the different options available.

Overall it was ok, if you like looking at kit or want to try a particular lens then it's worth going. I think this will have been my last year, this year I went mostly for the talks, and I think there are probably other options that are geared towards landscape/wildlife talks and less about gear that are worth me looking into instead.

The pound has crashed by 20% though with Brexit. Everythings more expensive if imported.

That was to be expected, the trouble was that there was a lot more of this

IMG_1401.JPG

than actual deals.

It was more expensive to go shopping here than anywhere else for almost everything that we wanted when you factor in the costs for the day.

We had around a £2k budget to spend and I bought a large latte and a coat!

Got to agree, was actually embarrassing at times at some of the stands. I felt uncomfortable and moved on when this happened. Although most of the models were understandably encouraging the creep-peeps whilst friends were handing out their contact cards.
Surprised it still happens, it used to be rife at trade shows like IBC, NAB and Photokina 10 years ago, now it's gone (except in a special area at Photokina). Not a great image to portray.

Not a great show, saw a nice HDR monitor capable of displaying 13 stops, a few evolutionary cameras, and a rip off canteen.

The best deal I saw was £1200 off a Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR2. Currently they are around £4700. There was £500 off a Nikon 200-400 too (currently £4900 at the cheapest UK price). It made me think we may soon be seeing replacements for both of these.

The best deal I saw was £1200 off a Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR2. Currently they are around £4700. There was £500 off a Nikon 200-400 too (currently £4900 at the cheapest UK price). It made me think we may soon be seeing replacements for both of these.

Saw those too but they were used (advertised as graded with great big used stickers on the boxes) and they are so much cheaper elsewhere from other dealers with warranties!

The 200-400 VRii is £1500 cheaper at MPB as an example.

I've found the talks pretty good. Did the turning pro which was not bad. Few useful nuggets. Then I'm doing the pro conference today and tomorrow. Can't hurt to hear what people have to say.

Saw those too but they were used (advertised as graded with great big used stickers on the boxes) and they are so much cheaper elsewhere from other dealers with warranties!

The 200-400 VRii is £1500 cheaper at MPB as an example.
I didn't see they were used prices, I read those prices on the price posters above the calumet stand and didnt go closer to fully read them.

I didn't see they were used prices, I read those prices on the price posters above the calumet stand and didnt go closer to fully read them.

Yup, those were the ones, 'graded' was in very tiny print!

Did anybody else see one of Pixapro heads starting to smoke from the power socket on the stand today put me right off.

Did anybody else see one of Pixapro heads starting to smoke from the power socket on the stand today put me right off.

Wow thank god I didn't buy any then as was looking into it

I went for 3 days, first time there and thoroughly enjoyed it, could have stayed longer but I left at 11:30 to drive 8 hours home.

Went on the saturday, hoping to come away with a smaller lighter camera, and failed! panasonic 100-400 was on offer at 1099, my dad brought one. An a6000 kit for £50 less than high street saw its way into my brothers hands at 499.
fuji xt20 kits were there with either 16-50 or 18-55, no discounts, just the £80 trade in bonus iirc, sigma 85, cracking lens. New 70-200 from sigma sounds like its coming towards the end of the year...

I walked past one stall that mentioned about a trigger or something for capturing lighning strikes more succesfully, I forgot to go back, did anyone stop by? I can't even remember the name,

@LBJNBA I'm with you on the appreciation of Alessio's work. Unfortunately I didn't know who he was while talking to him, but he is a really down to earth guy.

This'll be my first time at this show. Looks like I'll be coming back empty handed tomorrow ! Oh well. Thanks for all the updates everyone!

This is unfortunately the reality of a world with such quick product cycles, use enough equipment and you'll see plenty more fail in spectacular fashion.

Overall disappointing. Some good deals. Trade in offers laughable. SWPP better bet.

I love the SWPP show but it's always insanely busy on each day.

Seems weird. I don't think it would be the actual head, probably more likely the stand or a dodgy cable.

Can anybody confirm LCE are offering double cash back on the 100-400 ii at the show please.?
I can confirm that all 3 retailers at the show (LCE, Calumet, Camera World) are offering double cash back, which means £400 off.

LCE's standard price (on their website) is £1899.99, so I think that means you pay £1899.99 at the show and get £400 back, net price £1499.99.
Calumet and Camera World both have a standard (website) price of £1999.

I can confirm that all 3 retailers at the show (LCE, Calumet, Camera World) are offering double cash back, which means £400 off.

LCE's standard price (on their website) is £1899.99, so I think that means you pay £1899.99 at the show and get £400 back, net price £1499.99.
Calumet and Camera World both have a standard (website) price of £1999.

Thanks Stewart.

I went to the show yesterday with the intention of getting a Canon prime if the prices were competitive. All the Canon sellers that I approached were price fixed at exactly the same price and there was no budging.
There was the phaff of applying for "double" cash back from Canon but the prices were still more than all the reputable grey market importers.

It was good to see all the equipment but the only cash I spent was on the coffee.

I bought an SRB Photographic Fuji X to Nikon Ai adapter for £20, normally £25.

Only to now find the hole for the locking pin is in the wrong place.

So that's going back!

I may be on the wrong track but from now on I'll be checking any "special price" purchases at shows before I leave.

Terry i had one in my hand yesterday just as i was on way out and i thought better of it,you just confirmed ,sorry bout it though.

The NEC has very strict rules on electrical safety, e.g. extension leads are not allowed to be ganged together, but some firms just ignore these rules to save money, which is totally wrong. Of course, I'm not saying that this is the cause, but if the cause was a faulty light then the internal fuse should have blown instead

Back