Photography Show 2018

My brother is going and he mentioned hoping that Canon sellers might be offering a show discount and that coupled with the spring cashback will be an incentive for a new 6Dmk2 ???

Well in summary not many great discounts and prices are up a lot from last year.

There were a few deals on printers if that is of interest. Other than that it is just talks and new gear demo as usual... This year they appear to have fewer 'big name' speakers though.

My bank is a bit worse for wear now, bought a vanguard Altasky 45 bag and a sigma 150-600 lens with 1.4tc kit. Also some light stand clamps and a 100mm arca plate. Got some good discounts though. Enjoyed it more this year than I did last year even though there seemed to be quite a few smaller companies this year that most people seems to just be walking by and not showing any interest too whatsoever.

I found it quite useful today, comparing tripods and monopods, but as usual I got really confused, despite all my homework, and bought the last ones I saw (pretty much). Wex were doing good discounts on Manfrotto tripods (BeFree Advanced down from £175 to £139 or so, I gather). I got Vanguard in the end. SRB weren't really offering discounts, but did chuck a couple of extra bits in. Very crowded when I got there, but thinned out by 4 or so.

Back home now, I quite enjoyed that, having not been before. Went to a few talks, which I thought were so so, and stopped by quite a few stands, plus made a purchase or two.

Olympus cleaned my sensor for free. I didn't know that is what was on offer - so quite pleased with that!

oh, and nabbed a couple of Affinity Photo licences :LOL:

I can’t believe I missed that!!
I can, their stand number was L1 which doesn't exist on the site plan and its position is pathetic. Even a fudge or knitted baby wear had a better position.
I asked why they hadn't placed a sticker on the plan board, :thinking:

Last edited:
I picked up a Manfrotto 4 series traveller monopod from wex on offer, really pleased with it and cheaper than anywhere online, I was disappoint at all the flipside backpacks being out of stock but lowepro said they would be able to ship one to the retailers this week if I wanted one and honour the show pricing which is good, a bag appeared on my radar I had not looked at before but the nice lady at the lowepro stand really new her stuff (some people there I think are just drafted in to make the numbers ?) the pro tactic 450 I never realised is a rear entry plus top and side so quick clever design so going to review that tonight online

Thanks to everyone who dropped into the vanguard stand and introduced themselves as TP members - bigger thank you to those who went home with a bag or tripod

Something else I learnt today was Sirui do camera plates / L plates, the D500 one was very nicely made

Thanks to everyone who dropped into the vanguard stand and introduced themselves as TP members - bigger thank you to those who went home with a bag or tripod

Ah, I should have done that, but at least I bought a tripod and a monopod!

Something else I learnt today was Sirui do camera plates / L plates, the D500 one was very nicely made

... and 3 Legged Thing do a generic one for £45, and SRB do 3, small, medium and large for £25-£35 I think! However, digital shooters might need more fancy cutouts for all your ports and cables etc...

It didn't feel as if there were as many stands of interest this year, perhaps I was just looking for less!

That said, Cameraworld had good prices on Sandisk cards, and I picked up a Peak Design bag too.

I was very tempted by the new Sigma Art 14-24 F/2.8, it felt lovely during a demo from the Sigma stand, and the one shop that had them (Wex I think) were offering £350 off. Alas, it is not a good time to make such a purchase.

I spent most of today visiting talks, some good ones. Ive not spent that much time looking at gear, hopefully that’s a good sign! Of items I may be interested in show prices seem to be either the same or a couple of pounds cheaper than prices found on the web. This could be the first time I’ve walked away buying nothing, not even an outdoor photography subscription as I’m thinking of moving to digital rather than the printed magazines, and they don’t do the digital subscriptions at the show.

What kind of prices are we talking? Are they doing fast CF cards?

32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC (95mb/s) for £16.50, along with another capacity (higher I think) also on offer.

They did have some CF card offers but I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention as I bought a couple previously and didn't need more.

32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC (95mb/s) for £16.50, along with another capacity (higher I think) also on offer.

They did have some CF card offers but I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention as I bought a couple previously and didn't need more.
Thanks I will have a look tomorrow, I’m looking for a well priced fast 64GB CF card now Lexar have gone.

Got to say, second year I've been, much nicer to walk around than last year, may be down to the weather keeping people away though.

I still don't understand why people take cameras with the biggest lens they own attached...

I visited today. Drove up from Plymouth. Bit of a drive but glad I went. First time this year. I bought a 6Dmk2 but cannot find anywhere to claim back the double cashback for the show price!

I visited today. Drove up from Plymouth. Bit of a drive but glad I went. First time this year. I bought a 6Dmk2 but cannot find anywhere to claim back the double cashback for the show price!

Listed here but only Canon cashback..........surely the double cashback i.e. extra over Canon claimable is given at point of purchase at the show!

https://www.canon.co.uk/cashback/current-cashback/

All details on this page including a click link at the bottom of the page to start the process.

PS FWIW it is the same double cashback my brother was hoping to see....I think he is visiting the show tomorrow.

PS just what was the actual price paid on/at the show stand and how does it compare to their website price for normal online or shop purchases???

Last edited:
Listed here but only Canon cashback..........surely the double cashback i.e. extra over Canon claimable is given at point of purchase at the show!

https://www.canon.co.uk/cashback/current-cashback/

PS FWIW it is the same double cashback my brother was hoping to see....I think he is visiting the show tomorrow.

I queried it with Wex when I bought it and they said it was claimed on canon website. Wex, LCA and Camera World we all selling off the same price list. And I overheard a sale at the Cam World stand stating to claim on the canon website. I’ve messaged them on Twitter hopefully they’ll respond. If not Wex will have a return!

I queried it with Wex when I bought it and they said it was claimed on canon website. Wex, LCA and Camera World we all selling off the same price list. And I overheard a sale at the Cam World stand stating to claim on the canon website. I’ve messaged them on Twitter hopefully they’ll respond. If not Wex will have a return!

Wex website displays £1728 for the 6Dmk2 ( this being before the Canon claimable cashback). So how much was this model being sold for at the show???

It was sold for £1729 but double canon cashback so £340 off. Making it £1389 after cashback.

On the claim page there is no mention that I could find that mentions "double cashback", all they list is the participanting retailers!

There appears to be no such thing as ''Canon Double Cashback".

Edit ~ the only route to get anything that sounds like double cashback is the offer of discount on selected lenses when you by a a qualifying camera body???

Link here https://www.canon.co.uk/lens-promo/?WT.mc_id=web_display:cuk:lens-promo:banner-promopage:link

Guys, I hope you can get the information on this and it works out for you.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that one time when I walked past the Sigma stand they had one of the 200-500 f2.8 monsters on show. It's rather big!

Got to say, second year I've been, much nicer to walk around than last year, may be down to the weather keeping people away though.

I still don't understand why people take cameras with the biggest lens they own attached...
Its a Freud thing. Do most of them have them round their neck with the standard manufacturers strap so the lens protrudes straight out? When they pass the stands with models do they zoom out and go super wide on aperture?

Someone had a similar problem at a show with Fujifilm

Dealer was advertising double cashback, but Fuji didn't know anything about the offer
In this case the buyer was fortunate that they found photos taken at the show with the double cashback offer sign clearly visible

Eventually it was settled, not sure who paid up, but the buyer got the rebate as promised

Its a Freud thing. Do most of them have them round their neck with the standard manufacturers strap so the lens protrudes straight out? When they pass the stands with models do they zoom out and go super wide on aperture?

Most I saw were slung from the hipster, at the ready. Almost no neck straps, so I hid mine ;)

Someone had a similar problem at a show with Fujifilm

Dealer was advertising double cashback, but Fuji didn't know anything about the offer
In this case the buyer was fortunate that they found photos taken at the show with the double cashback offer sign clearly visible

Eventually it was settled, not sure who paid up, but the buyer got the rebate as promised

At the very least having a photographic record adds some weight to the "claim" but as you say just who paid out???

I went Sunday first time for many years, got a few bits and pieces Affinity had their book there discounted so grabed a copy of that.

Also had a play with a FUji GFx50 and the Hasselblad X1D both fab bits of kit but the Fuji was the better machine, nicer vew finder but the Hasselblad was a piece of fantastic industrial design.

Alos had a play with a few bits of kit on the Fuji and Olympus stands so now busy saving up :D

Back