weekly Pikestar 2013 52 thread Week 7 Gluttony Added

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
Well want to do and learn abit more this year. Had a DSLR a couple of years now and lurked on here for a while. However seem to only take snapshots of the family most of the time.

Week 1 Sin: Here
Week 2 Season:Here
Week 3 Gravity:
Week 4 Wild: Here
Week 5 Space: Here
Week 6 Work: Here
Week 7 Gluttony: Here

Last edited:
Hi Jon

welcome aboard the 52's madhouse :wave:

Aye....guess we've all probably done a bit of lurking on this forum...you're over the worst now you've set up your thread (y)

This project will cure you of " just taking sanps of the family "...you'll be out there shooting all sorts of stuff before you know it ....look forward to seeing your shots mister :)

Just like the dirty noise on this that I feel fits sin better.

Last edited:
Well done for getting started Jon - I actually prefer the second one, not sure why, it just seems a bit less.... errrm obvious(?) Or maybe iys the noise and the darker feel to it that fits better with sin?

Either way - look forward to your coming week shots (y)

Oh - also, if you add your picture to the main thread, you'll be less likely to be lost in amongst all the others - and easy for the others to find and comment on.

Last edited:
Hi, John, a couple of my favourite subjects here :naughty:

It's # 2 for me. Like the processing, composition and simplicity. Although, I might simplify a bit more and remove the chip.

Good start :clap:

great shots, both fit the theme well but pefer the more simple composition and processing of the second one.. great start

Number 2 all the way. I like the grungy noisy look.

I would have taken wedding ring away and just kept the poker imagery . I play a lot of poker and ace king def is a sinners hand

i prefer the rawness of the 2nd one ..the 1st one just doesnt work for me

I also prefer the second one for reasons stated already, less obvious.

Hi Jon

I like everyone's interpretation of sin.

For me No2, I think the noise adds to the theme of sim

Well done.

Hi Jon,

Awesome photo, love the grungy feel to it and it says "sin" to me perfectly,

Well captured :)

Danny

Preferring the 2nd one too. Feels much more as if it were in some dirty back alley poker den.

Well got well behind didn't realize how much time it takes to find these shots. Inspired by the flooding for some wild water.

Week 4 Wild

Last edited:
That looks so like smoke that than wild water

Shot at 1/15 second and got the smoke effect which at the time I was going for, so that gives you an idea of how fast it was all moving. Reflecting now would have been better to use a faster shutter speed to freeze the movement to try and capture a bit more drama. To be honest a few weeks behind now so rushing a little to catch up a bit.

Right need to catch up so pulled my finger out and got this weeks done!

"Space in the Bed"

Last edited:
I'd say you're well caught up - 5 days ahead in fact :LOL:, and you've nabbed one of my ideas too. :razz:

Think it might be better with a bit more of the sleeper in shot - rather than just a hand coming out from under the duvet.. :thinking:

Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Wild, on theme but a bit cluttered.

Space, on theme and the B&W works well. Another way would be a SP of you sprawled on the bed.

Cheers.

like your thinking with the space pic something different

Wild is an interedsting try, but in the end I don't think the photo works well; there's not enough in the composition to tie it together, and the stray bramble is distracting. Space is a really good idea!

Like this idea and you've done well with it. Nice low angle and sharp focus.

Crit, well the pink BG does distract a tad and although it's sharp, I'd prefer it to be on the 30.

Cheers.

Fair comment, I did play with putting the pink rain coat in focus, hence the pink in back ground. Should have changed it for a darker coat when I decided against it.

Well here's my first attempt at Work, burning the midnight oil.

I was hoping to use my wireless flash, but as it's only a cheap one off ebay it wasn't playing tonight. As a result shot with a couple of bed side lamps (could not even find my torches!). Had to do a fair bit of photoshoping which i'm still very much learning. Might try and re-shoot it if I get time but finding out with this photo 52 thing, time always seems to slip away.

Jon, this has come out well, I like it. A real sense of desperation in those knotted fingers. Overall the lighting looks fine to me, but others who know more will give you real advice. It does look as if there are finger print marks or something on your laptop cover, which is a bit distracting, but I don't know tif it would look better perfectly smooth!

Yeah it's not the cleanest of laptops. Healed a lot of marks on photo shop, you should have seen it before!

On first glance I thought you were sat in a bowl, and it wasn't until I saw the Samsung logo that I realised it was actually you sat behind your laptop. Must go to specsavers.

Love the lighting showing up your clasped hands. Amazing what you can do with the lights you do have to hand.

Last edited:
I'm catching up on commenting, so wild: I would have gone for a wider crop, the water is not the main thing that I see, it just looks like a general wild scene, I think it would work better to show more of the surroundings.

Space: very nicely done, good idea and nicely processed.

You can practically feel frustration and stress coming out of that last photo. I like it, it works really well. I hope I can manage to think of something as original. :D

Love it Jon, nice clean image and somehow hits the nail on the head as to how I feel this week :LOL:

:clap:

Back