Polaroid obsession

Just put a bid on a black SX-70 on ebay with a couple of days to go!

Good luck Rob! Mum says the auction for mine was very quiet with a bit of a spitfire around an hour before the end with little trickles between then and 30 minutes before the end, then it was quiet and she just got the winning bid in at the last second if it helps :p

All good points to consider, ped. Hoping to get in before the coloured frames go out of stock...

Which models can you use the Fuji film in?

I hope the Impossible film improves, as frankly at the moment you're paying top dollar for a very poor product. The Instax film blows it away.

Don't suppose anyone has managed to shoehorn instax wide into an sx70? :)

A list I found although I'm not too sure how accurate it is:

Folding Pack Cameras:
100 Series: Automatic 100,101,102,103,104,125,135
200 Series: Automatic 210,215,220,225,230,240,250
300 Series: Automatic 315,320,325,330,335,340,350,355,360,M60,...
400 Series: Automatic 420,430,440,450,455, Countdown 70, Countdown 90
Pro Models: 180,185,190,195
New Style Folding Cameras: EE100,EE100 Special, The Reporter, ProPack

All plastic Body:
Big Swinger, Colorpack II, Colorpack III, BigShot, Colorpack IV,Colorpack M6, Colorpack V, Minutemaker, Minutemaker Plus, Super Colorpack, Super Shooter.

Which models can you use the Fuji film in?

I hope the Impossible film improves, as frankly at the moment you're paying top dollar for a very poor product. The Instax film blows it away.

Don't suppose anyone has managed to shoehorn instax wide into an sx70? :)

The Fuji film is brilliant, but the Impossible stuff has a certain quality to it that is just as satisfying, albeit in a different way (when it develops properly etc)

Oh I like it, has character, it just irks that you pay through the nose for it compared to technically much better product.

Still, they bought their way into an exclusive market, so they can charge whatever the market will pay, can't complain really!

I was really hoping the new colour film with coloured frames would include black :\

Ah, test samples at Impossible HQ! I need to subscribe to their FB for updates. Thanks for the heads up. I was only looking on their website. (y)

No bother :p Will be a while before they're available from what I read in the comments. Think they said within the month for "some" locations. Hopefully that includes the UK :)

Still don't know whether to go for colour protect or B&W black frames... I really like those black frames!

Why oh why did I do it... Got a (apparently working) polaroid image system, I've read it's also known as the spectra.
I've now got a massive headache from trying to work out what film will work in it etc.
Would I have bought it had I known how confusing and apparently costly it'd be, I wonder...

Just been watching a few videos online about the Impossible Lab. I am on the fence with it at the moment. Whilst I like what it does very much, for me, part of shooting polaroids is using the polaroid camera. I enjoy using it and I enjoy other peoples reactions when I take it out to shoot with. It's a pleasure to use and getting instant prints immediately is lovely. The lab thingy seems to work very well though for iPhone pics and it would be a cool gadget to have, but it's rather expensive for what it does I can't help think that I may as well just shoot with a polaroid. Any thoughts?

I can see the appeal of it - there's not a lot that can beat that little framed instant print. The look of it is pretty iconic and just.. great. I suppose it appeals to those who love the look of the end product but aren't quite so interested in what it takes to get there, maybe? Like, they're not bothered about what camera gives the result - it's purely the result they want.

I wouldn't mind owning it but not at the price it is - I'm, not surprisingly ;) , one of those who is just as, if not more so, interested in the camera that makes the end result as I am in the end result.

If that makes sense?

Totally makes sense to me. As I said, one of the main reasons I pay so much to shoot polaroid, is to use the camera itself, as well as the end result. Like you, I can see the appeal and would like to own one, but not at £219!!

Is this the polaroid equivelent or rather polar oposite of the little, cheap, digicam in a box that Maplin sell to scan 35mm. Some privilage to pay too.

Totally makes sense to me. As I said, one of the main reasons I pay so much to shoot polaroid, is to use the camera itself, as well as the end result. Like you, I can see the appeal and would like to own one, but not at £219!!

It's a step forward towards them making their own cameras, but I'm not interested in using my iPhone to take pictures in the slightest, as slow as it is now it has iOS7 installed (iPhone 4)

10723048283_48a0a32c24_z.jpg

10722851436_0e9d21e9f0_z.jpg

10722851066_9338755159_z.jpg

10722845944_2cb7943d5f_z.jpg

10722850076_004048eb61_z.jpg

10722844914_2dc0d48e2e_z.jpg

10723046213_d87995ba1d_z.jpg

Shame about the tape around the box and the brown is a little haggard but it'll be getting a face lift in the new year :) Got film on the way and will fire a test shot then it's in the box and in the back of my mum's cupboard for over a month :eek: It's my Christmas gift from her (if it works like promised, that is!).

I must say - unfolding it isn't kind on the old heart! :eek:

10723046213_d87995ba1d_z.jpg

Shame about the tape around the box and the brown is a little haggard but it'll be getting a face lift in the new year :) Got film on the way and will fire a test shot then it's in the box and in the back of my mum's cupboard for over a month :eek: It's my Christmas gift from her (if it works like promised, that is!).

I must say - unfolding it isn't kind on the old heart! :eek:

Hope it works ok !! It makes such a difference putting a fresh skin on them, I have a black model 2 with yellow leather, and a silver model 1 with fake grass :love: (slightly odd I know but I think it looks great!

Completely agree with the opening, still think I am going to break mine hehe.

You just have to stay well behaved now so Santa doesn't take it away :LOL:

All those SX-70's are awesome!! I mistakenly said I was getting one in this thread but what I meant was something that shoots the SX-70 film :(

After seeing these photos though, I really want one.

I'm hoping to get the 90 soon :p

Was the gold frame taken on SX-70? I love the grass! Love the yellow more though :D Wish there were more examples floating around of face lifted model 2's.. I'm having a hell of a time deciding!

It was advertised as working in the ad but I never trust ebay sellers... film should be here tomorrow though. It came with an empty battery pack and sounds epic! :D Putting it down is much easier than putting it up...

Was the gold frame taken on SX-70? I love the grass! Love the yellow more though :D Wish there were more examples floating around of face lifted model 2's.. I'm having a hell of a time deciding!

It was advertised as working in the ad but I never trust ebay sellers... film should be here tomorrow though. It came with an empty battery pack and sounds epic! :D Putting it down is much easier than putting it up...

If the empty pack has any charge left, then you can ascertain whether the camera works using that, without wasting a frame of film. Of course you could always fire a shot anyway for fun ;) There's not too much that can go wrong with them, so if it fires and whirrs, it'll probably be fine.

If you find your SX70 hard to open, simply use pliers, carefully, with some padding, to SLIGHTLY bend the arm (the one you push to collapse the camera) inwards. Do it very slightly, but by bit, and it'll end up being buttery smooth. I discovered this the hard way by eventually cracking the top panel of an SX70 after repeated forced openings. New one is (almost) effortless.

Those custom SX70s look brilliant!

Yeah, it whirs good style lol! So you reckon I can safely pack it away? Or not repeat what you've just told me to my mother and fire off a first shot anyway haha.. satiate my need for now :p

The only bit that's a little dodgy is lifting the smaller portion at first - it requires quite a good pull on it! Once it "unclicks" the rest of it unfolds very easily.

Yeah, it whirs good style lol! So you reckon I can safely pack it away? Or not repeat what you've just told me to my mother and fire off a first shot anyway haha.. satiate my need for now :p

The only bit that's a little dodgy is lifting the smaller portion at first - it requires quite a good pull on it! Once it "unclicks" the rest of it unfolds very easily.

Yes that's the dangerous bit - bending the arm a fraction makes it open without such force.

I reckon you should treat yourself to a proper test shot, really!

Grass is great but yeah the yellow looks like new. If you google sx70 skins you can find a few different places with examples.

The gold was from the sx70. I got the impossible project filter so can use 600 films on the sx70. Then the gold frame is impossible project film.

If you don't want to waste film, I can post up an empty cassette with used print to test it? Let me know.

Yes that's the dangerous bit - bending the arm a fraction makes it open without such force.

I reckon you should treat yourself to a proper test shot, really!

It's before the arm becomes visible that it's a bit of a bum to open if that makes sense? When I've having the trouble opening it, I can't get in at the arm yet. I'm hoping it's maybe just that it hasn't been used a lot in the past however many years and needs a bit of loosening up!

Grass is great but yeah the yellow looks like new. If you google sx70 skins you can find a few different places with examples.

The gold was from the sx70. I got the impossible project filter so can use 600 films on the sx70. Then the gold frame is impossible project film.

If you don't want to waste film, I can post up an empty cassette with used print to test it? Let me know.

I found a site that's just skins that go over the current leather but I was looking at aki asahi for a proper replacement - I've been meaning to get skins from the for my Trip and OM1 for ages, it's just deciding what to go for! Where did you get yours?

Thanks very much for the offer! But the film is arriving tomorrow and I know I don't have the self control to not shove it in the camera right away :eek: :eek:ops:

Haha yeah there is always that temptation!!

I got my grass skin from MoreOrLessDesign on Etsy and the yellow leather From camerasdolution on eBay. They don't appear to have any for sale at the moment but might be worth contacting them as it is very good quality.

Is the grass actually fluffy? It looks it in the photo! I stumbled on a photo of a model 2 with a fluffy leopard print face lift... :love: :LOL:

Yep that's what I'm talking about. The arm acts as a latch. When the cam is open, adjust it, and opening from flat is easier.

It's before the arm becomes visible that it's a bit of a bum to open if that makes sense? When I've having the trouble opening it, I can't get in at the arm yet. I'm hoping it's maybe just that it hasn't been used a lot in the past however many years and needs a bit of loosening up!

I found a site that's just skins that go over the current leather but I was looking at aki asahi for a proper replacement - I've been meaning to get skins from the for my Trip and OM1 for ages, it's just deciding what to go for! Where did you get yours?

Thanks very much for the offer! But the film is arriving tomorrow and I know I don't have the self control to not shove it in the camera right away :eek: :eek:ops:

Ohh I see! I've just opened it again and it was significantly easier than the past couple of times!

Steve, just had a look at the etsy shop and I'm very tempted by that polka dot one... it says it's oil cloth. Is it a replacement for the leather or does it go on top?

Is the grass actually fluffy? It looks it in the photo! I stumbled on a photo of a model 2 with a fluffy leopard print face lift... :love: :LOL:

Yes the grass is proper fluffy :D

The polka one looks nice. You do have to remove the original leatherette (on model2) which is a bit messy as it crumbles and then you stick the new skin on. The furry leopard print sounds great though. Hehe

Good! That's what I wanted - a replacement rather than a "just shove it on top" type thing. What adhesive did you use? I asked the guy if he still does the leopard print and got a no :p

Although I'm wondering if the oil cloth will be thick enough? Looking now, it looks like the original leatherette sits in a little "lip" in the camera.. hmm..!

And my camera was made on February 11th 1975 :D

Epic fluffy grass haha! I'm really excited for this film to arrive tomorrow... definitely going to carry on the "I need to test it to see if it does really work" excuse before packing it away ;)

Last edited:
Good! That's what I wanted - a replacement rather than a "just shove it on top" type thing. What adhesive did you use? I asked the guy if he still does the leopard print and got a no :p

Although I'm wondering if the oil cloth will be thick enough? Looking now, it looks like the original leatherette sits in a little "lip" in the camera.. hmm..!

And my camera was made on February 11th 1975 :D

Epic fluffy grass haha! I'm really excited for this film to arrive tomorrow... definitely going to carry on the "I need to test it to see if it does really work" excuse before packing it away ;)

Im pretty sure any purpose made skins will have an adhesive on them. Think a strong double sided tape, skin on one side stick it to the camera with the other.

If you start to fiddle with your current skin, it will prob flake off, you have to pick the edges and will start to pull back a sticky tape that comes off far easier, all of the surfaces are the same, however, the small front panel on the bottom has a thin aluminium sheet on it so you have to take care not to pull that off as well, then once it is all off, get some white spirit ona rag to clean all the surfaces prior to putting the new skin on.

You could always google and try to get a pattern for the sizes and then make your own leopard fluffy one? should not be too much problem, then just use a good quality double sided tape to stick it. (think how great it would look!!!!)

The leather does stick above the rim by half a mm or so, would have thought the polka would sit flush at best but shouldn't look too bad

Back