• On this Thread

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • On New Reveal Thread

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Not At All

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can anyone explain why doing a single print is harder than a whole zine?

Personally, I think they're just different. A single print obviously stands on its own - and for me - I just picked something that I thought was a) good and b) meant something specific to me. I'm fortunate that a vast amount of my photos fall outside this criteria.

A zine is more forgiving in that the message is perhaps more important than the images. One can include an image that is inferior but has a strong message (a fuzzy image of a sharp concept) or acts as a good follow-on or lead-in to the next image. I think a zine has more flexibility, whereas a single print has almost none.

For me, I'm learning to think about what I'm actually trying to take a picture of before pressing the shutter. My "technical" skills then get pushed aside as I focus more on the message. If I start thinking too technical about something, then I lose focus on the message.

I'll give the poll until tomorrow and then act on the result whatever that may be then.
Quite a few prints have been received and i'm sure people want to show and tell (maybe you noticed I like that saying)

Print received! Very nice indeed. Gives me something to aspire to!

The date has now passed but if you read earlier in the thread it looks like there will be further opportunities.

I haven't actually printed mine yet so I wonder if there might not be a chance for Claire E to be squeezed in? I wouldn't mind sending a second print if the 'Boss' says it is okay.

If not, we will catch you next time around Claire E. (y)

Look what just arrived :cool:

20210623_123124.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't actually printed mine yet so I wonder if there might not be a chance for Claire E to be squeezed in? I wouldn't mind sending a second print if the 'Boss' says it is okay.

Good point, I offered the same for another poster that hadn't spotted this was going on so hopefully the Boss can sort it out as you say.

I tried an Awagami test pack and whilst it was very cool, my images looked terrible on it (it was rice paper and bamboo paper IIRC). Was a few years ago though so they may have updated things. Would be good to hear your thoughts when you get round to test prints.

I tried an Awagami test pack and whilst it was very cool, my images looked terrible on it (it was rice paper and bamboo paper IIRC). Was a few years ago though so they may have updated things. Would be good to hear your thoughts when you get round to test prints.

Happy to do so. I think that in many cases it is important to find just the right image form the paper being used. I'm about to find out how costly that process can be :sneaky:

I've got a Canson test pack ordered too.

How are you all printing?

Lab
Inkjet/Pigment
Darkroom

Mine was from a lab.

I'm about to find out how costly that process can be

IMG_0890.jpg

I have a box of these that I keep adding to whenever I get new paper. Write the paper type/name on the back then do an occasional blind test to see which I prefer based on feel, texture and how each paper deals with monochrome, colour, and contrast. I have a spreadsheet :)

View attachment 322156

I have a box of these that I keep adding to whenever I get new paper. Write the paper type/name on the back then do an occasional blind test to see which I prefer based on feel, texture and how each paper deals with monochrome, colour, and contrast. I have a spreadsheet :)

WOW!

Bonkers :LOL: :LOL:

Are those specific manufacturer supplied test prints or ones from your own portfolio that you have chosen as test prints?

WOW!

Bonkers :LOL: :LOL:

Are those specific manufacturer supplied test prints or ones from your own portfolio that you have chosen as test prints?

From the fab Keith Cooper's Northlight Images site. You can download the same test print and it's great for checking skin tone, shadow detail, greenery & blue-ry, depth of black. It's usually the first print I do with a new paper so I can compare to my "top ten" to see if it stacks up. Having 2 boxes of these now (1 matt, 1 non-matt) it's great for seeing just how good they are. I find I need to compare to be able to draw a conclusion. Standalone is very difficult.

Keith also has a You Tube channel which is very low in production value but very high in useful information.

This sounds exciting! Is it too late to be involved?

:):):canon::):)

@Claire E
@moggi1964

How about you two swap details and prints, the more the merrier.
Does that sound ok?
Don't forget its an A4 print of your choice, no restrictions at all

Last edited:
View attachment 322156

That is a good idea. I colour profile each paper as my printer, HP Z3100, has one built in. A standard test shot would help greatly deciding what paper would be best for the job rather than using my memory which definitely plays tricks on me. It is also very easy to convince myself that the roll loaded on the paper will do the job. One thing I liked about the challenge was I was thinking about paper as much as image.

How about you two swap details and prints, the more the merrier.
Does that sound ok?
Don't forget its an A4 print of your choice, no restrictions at all

In that case just tagging @Bebop If you want to do a swap still, PM me. I'll find a different image :)

Finally posted mine today.

Finally plucked up the courage to put a print in an envelope.

Can anyone explain why doing a single print is harder than a whole zine?

I found the same thing. I don’t tend to think in single images, I always work with with multiple images e.g. books, zines, exhibitions, lectures, and so the photographs I take I whittle down to one or two good ‘uns that would fit into the wider body of work or a project.
To just select one was a paradigm shift for me as it didn’t have any other photographs with it to provide context.

So how is it going, seems like most people have received a print well before the July deadline.

Pleased with it, worth doing again, if so anything fundamental you would like to see changed?

So how is it going, seems like most people have received a print well before the July deadline.

Pleased with it, worth doing again, if so anything fundamental you would like to see changed?

nothing at all enjoyed it very much as it is.
did you have a cadence in mind for this?

I certainly wouldn't mind partaking in a few of these in a year.

I'm happy to go again. No change to anything as far as I'm concerned - it all went fairly smoothly. Probably down to the organiser :)

I'm happy to go again. No change to anything as far as I'm concerned - it all went fairly smoothly. Probably down to the organiser :)

Much more likely down to the enthusiasm of the printers :)

Reckon there will be a sequel then, don't want to overdo it to the becoming routine and boring stage.
Maybe one to tie in with finishing after the summer holiday period when people have hopefully got out and about again.

I've got a couple ruined prints with a certain "character" to them.
I would never post them as part of the challenge knowing they aren't perfect but if anyone is interested in receiving something that they probably will not like but act as a surprise I'm happy to post them :LOL:

Thinking about having the next print swap to coincide with the end of the summer holidays.
So names in and notified by mid August then prints sent out by end of September.

Same format and if needs be will cheat a little to make sure recipients are different from this time.
Any comments for or against and as ever suggestions very much appreciated.

Will start a new thread nearer the time for those interested.
Thanks

Last edited:
Back