Print Exchange Reveal Here

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Poll was close, but small margin wanted a separate thread so here it is.
Show and Tell, comments, whatever you like or nothing if that's your choice.
Thanks for making this such a great success and hope everyone has enjoyed the whole thing, know I have.

I'll kick this off, please advise if I am doing it correctly.

I received my print last week. It was anonymous which I liked but it did leave me wondering where and who took the image. It is a fairly generic looking location which could be anywhere so that added to the anonymity. I would be interested to find out now though.

As to the print it was nicely done with a good exposure, lots of detail and a solid composition. I liked the moss and greenery in the foreground hanging on to the rocks hoping there wasn't a big storm that may wash them away. I also liked the sweep of the water coming in from the centre right and looking like it is almost travelling up hill. A nice splash of colour on the far bank with the lighter colour tree anchoring that corner and I really liked the branches within that splash of colour twisted and angled against the uniformity of the other trees.

All in all a very decent shot and well printed. The gloss paper suits it but did give me difficulty in photographing the print so the large hot spot is my image and not on the original print. There is a wee loss of detail in the water in the print but difficult to manage that with the long exposure and white water and it doesn't detract too much from the shot other all. Many thanks to the mystery sender.
IMG_20210623_122944.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go first if you like... Happy to reveal my own, but will leave it to my sender to decide whether they want to reveal theirs.

2018.10-RB67-SFX200-07-Edit.jpg

This was one of my favourite images. It was taken at Marbury Country Park which is the closest park to me that isn't an unadopted mess. Taken on the RB67 it was my "golf shot"* that convinced me that film was better than digital. It won the Marbury Park photo comp the year it was taken, which was judged by a professional, and beat mostly (if not all) digital images as an A4 print.

It was taken on SFX200 with an IR filter an whilst the IR hasn't really come out, it's the shaft of light coming through the trees that really struck me. I had to position the camera in the shadow of the front left tree so that I reduced the flare and whilst it's by no means a perfect image, it evokes an atmosphere that I was really aiming for. A perfect match of vision and technical ability (even if the vision wasn't bob on with hindsight). The exposure was tricky considering the lighting, but I had a Spotmeter to make sure I retained some detail in the bark and made the decision to let the highlights fall where they may. It all kinda fell apart when you're using an IR filter because reciprocity failure kicks in on 1s+ exposure times so considering the exposure was very rough & ready I'm really happy with it.

The other issue was the fact I left my photo bag in shot. For all the faffing with the composition, I didn't check around the edges of the frame before taking the image, so I ended up having to (badly) clone out the bag. If anyone wants to play spot-the-ball, I'll spoiler the location which you can spot if you look hard - even at this resolution.
...at the base of the front left tree...

For the print, I used Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Metallic which is just a stunning paper and works amazingly well with high contrast black & white. I did try the print on Moab's Silver Metallic paper but that actually needs low contrast to work better. The metallic sheen on the paper means that the (blown) highlights get pulled back in with the print and become really reflective, adding more mood and atmosphere to the "blinding light" coming through the trees. It's not a cheap paper by any means, but it is well worth it for a classy finished print. I have my printer set up for this paper, and being able to save print settings in the LR print module makes it a 2 click exercise in making a print that works. (Obviously it takes a few prints to get the template set up, but once it's done, it's done.)

I also chucked my "13 Seconds" zine in the package in a vain attempt to entice people into the zine exchange (as Rich well spotted!).

Thanks for organising this @tijuana taxi . Had a lot of fun. If my sender wants to share their print, I'd be happy to give my thoughts...

*You know how you get lucky with a golf shot and it hits the sweetspot and flies straight and true for miles. The shot you spent the next 10 years trying to repeat....

I've got the wrong end of the stick. I thought we were to reveal what we received rather than what we sent
Either that or I got the wrong end of the stick. Or it could be that in some existential way there is no end to the stick and we are both right and wrong at the same time. :)

I'm sure the world won't end either way :)

Either that or I got the wrong end of the stick. Or it could be that in some existential way there is no end to the stick and we are both right and wrong at the same time. :)

I'm sure the world won't end either way :)
I PM'd the OP so he may clarify but as you say there probably isn't a right end of the stick, lovely shot by the way and liked your thought process for paper choice. I'll have to save hard for a roll of that paper.

No right or wrong , just go with the flow, its all about having a bit of fun.
Sender or recipient, just nice to see all the different takes on things.

Only downside from sending just one print is that you don't get to see the whole collection.
I wasn't really bothered about the anonymity bit, just wanted to pick names at random for the exchange of prints.

Next time we do it everything can be a bit more organised, just crash test printers this time out.

Last edited:
Suffolk Boat.jpg

This is the print I received. I'm not going to comment on the print other than to say I like it. For me, the fun of all this is to see what others regard as their favourite photo, not to give critique. The one I sent may not be perfect, technically or otherwise but for now, it's my favourite and I hope the recipient likes it. If I gain a few ideas from others, then so much the better and that's what it's all about.

Can't wait for round two.

By the way, I take it that we are going to leave it to the sender to own up even if we know who sent it.

Regards - Paul

Last edited:
View attachment 322158

This is the print I received. I'm not going to comment on the print other than to say I like it. For me, the fun of all this is to see what others regard as their favorite photo, not to give critique. The one I sent may not be perfect, technically or otherwise but for now, it's my favorite and I hope the recipient likes it. If I gain a few ideas from others, then so much the better and that's what it's all about.

Can't wait for round two.

By the way, I take it that we are going to leave it to the sender to own up even if we know who sent it.

Regards - Paul

If senders want to fess up so be it, if not that's good too.

I'll go first if you like... Happy to reveal my own, but will leave it to my sender to decide whether they want to reveal theirs.

View attachment 322134

This was one of my favourite images. It was taken at Marbury Country Park which is the closest park to me that isn't an unadopted mess. Taken on the RB67 it was my "golf shot"* that convinced me that film was better than digital. It won the Marbury Park photo comp the year it was taken, which was judged by a professional, and beat mostly (if not all) digital images as an A4 print.

It was taken on SFX200 with an IR filter an whilst the IR hasn't really come out, it's the shaft of light coming through the trees that really struck me. I had to position the camera in the shadow of the front left tree so that I reduced the flare and whilst it's by no means a perfect image, it evokes an atmosphere that I was really aiming for. A perfect match of vision and technical ability (even if the vision wasn't bob on with hindsight). The exposure was tricky considering the lighting, but I had a Spotmeter to make sure I retained some detail in the bark and made the decision to let the highlights fall where they may. It all kinda fell apart when you're using an IR filter because reciprocity failure kicks in on 1s+ exposure times so considering the exposure was very rough & ready I'm really happy with it.

The other issue was the fact I left my photo bag in shot. For all the faffing with the composition, I didn't check around the edges of the frame before taking the image, so I ended up having to (badly) clone out the bag. If anyone wants to play spot-the-ball, I'll spoiler the location which you can spot if you look hard - even at this resolution.
...at the base of the front left tree...

For the print, I used Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Metallic which is just a stunning paper and works amazingly well with high contrast black & white. I did try the print on Moab's Silver Metallic paper but that actually needs low contrast to work better. The metallic sheen on the paper means that the (blown) highlights get pulled back in with the print and become really reflective, adding more mood and atmosphere to the "blinding light" coming through the trees. It's not a cheap paper by any means, but it is well worth it for a classy finished print. I have my printer set up for this paper, and being able to save print settings in the LR print module makes it a 2 click exercise in making a print that works. (Obviously it takes a few prints to get the template set up, but once it's done, it's done.)

I also chucked my "13 Seconds" zine in the package in a vain attempt to entice people into the zine exchange (as Rich well spotted!).

Thanks for organising this @tijuana taxi . Had a lot of fun. If my sender wants to share their print, I'd be happy to give my thoughts...

*You know how you get lucky with a golf shot and it hits the sweetspot and flies straight and true for miles. The shot you spent the next 10 years trying to repeat....
Glad you did that because it means I don't have to say much other than I was the lucky recipient and it is a fabulous image. It is hard to appreciate this image fully online as it is only when it is printed that it truly comes to life in my opinion. This doesn't apply to all images I should be clear (I'm an advocate of the digital space) but there will be some that need the texture that a print provides.

The choice of paper was clearly given a lot of thought and does exactly what you described Ian. It was your image that got me thinking about different papers and next thing you know I have three sample packs ordered. If I decide to go B&W I now have a few options in mind.

The 'Zine' was a step too far Ian. Somehow you just knew I would not resist the next zine exchange if you tempted me. SO UNFAIR :D:D

Somehow you just knew I would not resist the next zine exchange if you tempted me.
And then you have to decide on the paper for that! :)

For me, the fun of all this is to see what others regard as their favorite photo, not to give critique
I think that's why I posted what I did. Receiving a print in isolation is very difficult to speak about, but it was much easier for me to show the print I sent and talk about it. It would be interesting (to me) to see what folks put in their envelopes and understand why. Especially the one I got :)

Might as well fess up, after all I put my name and address on the postage label.
Plus my recipient was in the zine swap so they will know who I am

I haven't got an exact copy of the print I sent, very rarely keep any edits, so here is a rough approximation
Wanted something that wasn't personal to me, also with colours that might look good on semi gloss paper and decent detail too
Used my usual choice of Permajet Oyster 271, tried many others, but its still my favourite general purpose paper.
Hope it was well received, but if not it was always going to be luck of the draw and all part of the fun (I hope)

print copy 1.jpg

Last edited:
Here goes:-

Desert Rose
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

This is the shot I selected and sent, it's my favourite of 2021 so far. I visited a small peninsula 6 times taking images for the last zine exchange, and had an assortment of weather conditions, including one misty morning, which resulted in several keepers, some of which made the zine, this one didn't as it didn't fit the narrative.

Its the Weaver Navigation at Sutton Weaver, looking towards Runcorn, with the railway bridge. As soon as I saw the shot I loved the composition, so I waited a short while for the rower to appear. Though taken in colour on a digital camera this was always going to be monochrome image, as the serenity of scene would be maintained (and it would mute the colours of the narrowboat (slightly) - and that infernal Calor Gas bottle, which in colour really stands out - yes I could have cloned it out, but thats not what my photography is about.

For me this image has multiple layers and a 'depth' to the image, whilst still being a mundane scene.

Shot on handheld on a Fuji GFX50S, processed the RAW in Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro, then printed via Canon Print Studio Pro to a Canon Pro-1000. Paper used was Fotospeed Platininum Baryta 300. I think the A4 print is good, but the A3 print on my office magnetic board is IMO better, and I expect at some point I'll print and frame it on A2.

Because the paper I used was A3, I printed a second image on the other half and included that. I know my recipient, so I selected something for him (and his taste - is that cheating??) - the rusting 'Proceed' at a Northwich boatyard (probably familiar to @Harlequin565 (not the recipient) as well).

Proceed

I hope that my recipient likes what I've sent.

In return I've received an intriguing print, although a subject matter that I might shoot, its not the type of image that I would normally print (so its opened my eyes - in a good way). It makes me thinking about printing more of my work which has to be a good thing. Its well exposed and has a lovely contrast of light and shadow and perfectly describes a urban viewpoint, a cleverly composed and well taken shot. I like it (its currently on display on my office magnetic board :) ) - and the packaging, second to none, this print would have survived (and be perfectly flat and undamaged) any unprovoked courier/postal delivery attack!

Last edited:
I'll share what I sent. The first shot is very local to me. It is where I walk my dog and she loves a swim just up river from the image. I quite like taking images that are difficult to repeat and this would fall in that category. There had been a heavy period of wind which had dislodge the leaves that combined with low water levels meant the leaves were swirling in the falls. The movement was created by the exit to the mill (out of shot camera left) clashing with the water over the falls. To top it off there was a fairly large floating log which I was able to move to divert the mill water to create the circle of the swirl where I wanted it.

Photography is also about sharing and I posted the shot on a local Facebook Photographers site with details and saw a good dozen recreations in the day or two following. None quite got the amount of leaves that I did or the nice light on the background and they never had the log as I sent that downstream. The shot was also chosen as it is two exposure to control movement. The top half was a short exposure and the bottom a 30 second exposure. I do this quite often when I want foliage and leaves to be still but movement in the water. Not a technique that is my own but one which I enjoy and use often. The last couple of autumns have not even came close to the conditions that day so it may well be a fairly rare shot to be able to capture at this location.

I printed on Tecco iridium silver gloss paper. I rarely use gloss paper but I wanted the sheen on the water to be maximised and this paper has a nice iridescence and is metallic too adding a bit of sparkle. I was pleased with the print so will use the paper for a bigger one for my wall.

_8101499orig by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

As I had used roll paper there was a nice A4 space left that enable a cheap bonus print. I chose my favourite subject, Seascapes, and also my favourite local area which is around Tantallon Castle. The shot was taken at Canty Bay which is rarely photographed and I have never seen the composition before so I thought it was a good example of my eye. It had to be an image that suited the paper and again the sheen on the rocks made it a good candidate. It had the same technique as I am not that keen on the long exposure skies.

_8107581 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

photo exchange.jpg

This is the picture that I received. What I like about photos on paper - well, one thing, I actually like several - is that you get what the photographer wanted. It is not reliant on my monitor settings, I cannot change the size and I cannot pixel-peep the image.

View attachment 322367

This is the picture that I received. What I like about photos on paper - well, one thing, I actually like several - is that you get what the photographer wanted. It is not reliant on my monitor settings, I cannot change the size and I cannot pixel-peep the image.

What a great story telling image with the lighthouse protecting sailors from the storm but the creel being destroyed by it

Here goes:-

Desert Rose

This is the shot I selected and sent, it's my favourite of 2021 so far. I visited a small peninsula 6 times taking images for the last zine exchange, and had an assortment of weather conditions, including one misty morning, which resulted in several keepers, some of which made the zine, this one didn't as it didn't fit the narrative.

Its the Weaver Navigation at Sutton Weaver, looking towards Runcorn, with the railway bridge. As soon as I saw the shot I loved the composition, so I waited a short while for the rower to appear. Though taken in colour on a digital camera this was always going to be monochrome image, as the serenity of scene would be maintained (and it would mute the colours of the narrowboat (slightly) - and that infernal Calor Gas bottle, which in colour really stands out - yes I could have cloned it out, but thats not what my photography is about.

For me this image has multiple layers and a 'depth' to the image, whilst still being a mundane scene.

Shot on handheld on a Fuji GFX50S, processed the RAW in Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro, then printed via Canon Print Studio Pro to a Canon Pro-1000. Paper used was Fotospeed Platininum Baryta 300. I think the A4 print is good, but the A3 print on my office magnetic board is IMO better, and I expect at some point I'll print and frame it on A2.

Because the paper I used was A3, I printed a second image on the other half and included that. I know my recipient, so I selected something for him (and his taste - is that cheating??) - the rusting 'Proceed' at a Northwich boatyard (probably familiar to @Harlequin565 (not the recipient) as well).

Proceed

I hope that my recipient likes what I've sent.

In return I've received an intriguing print, although a subject matter that I might shoot, its not the type of image that I would normally print (so its opened my eyes - in a good way). It makes me thinking about printing more of my work which has to be a good thing. Its well exposed and has a lovely contrast of light and shadow and perfectly describes a urban viewpoint, a cleverly composed and well taken shot. I like it (its currently on display on my office magnetic board :) ) - and the packaging, second to none, this print would have survived (and be perfectly flat and undamaged) any unprovoked courier/postal delivery attack!

So I was the recipient of these images and David knows my tastes!! Very pleased with both images which are very different.
The first depicts a scene that is strongly composed and rewards the viewer the more it is looked at. There are many components to the scene and it took several viewings to see everything and how they all assembled into something coherent. There is the strong horizontal of the railway line going over the bridge, but this is softened by the mist. Then there is the jagged texture of the trees braking up the grey sky and the softer textures of the grasses on the left hand side. The arches became a bit of a focal point in my mind as the diaganols of the riverbank and boats lead to it, and the white of the arch adds to that idea.
I was initially uneasy with the light patch in the foreground but realised that the white of the narrow boat balanced it out, and the boating clutter/ gas bottle breaks up the expanse of grass.
I think there’s a theme of compositional disharmony breaking up the otherwise idyllic harmony of the scene that is a feature of this image, and that is what the rowing boat provides, his placement in the scene and progress through it breaking up the glassy stillness of the river.
‘Proceed’ is a different think altogether and one I’ve mentioned to David in the past. This photo is far simpler in its composition and just focuses in one element rather than the whole messy scene. It is a study of shapes, angles, textures and shades of black and grey - classic black and white and right up my street! Thanks very much David!

So I was the recipient of these images and David knows my tastes!! Very pleased with both images which are very different.
The first depicts a scene that is strongly composed and rewards the viewer the more it is looked at. There are many components to the scene and it took several viewings to see everything and how they all assembled into something coherent. There is the strong horizontal of the railway line going over the bridge, but this is softened by the mist. Then there is the jagged texture of the trees braking up the grey sky and the softer textures of the grasses on the left hand side. The arches became a bit of a focal point in my mind as the diaganols of the riverbank and boats lead to it, and the white of the arch adds to that idea.
I was initially uneasy with the light patch in the foreground but realised that the white of the narrow boat balanced it out, and the boating clutter/ gas bottle breaks up the expanse of grass.
I think there’s a theme of compositional disharmony breaking up the otherwise idyllic harmony of the scene that is a feature of this image, and that is what the rowing boat provides, his placement in the scene and progress through it breaking up the glassy stillness of the river.
‘Proceed’ is a different think altogether and one I’ve mentioned to David in the past. This photo is far simpler in its composition and just focuses in one element rather than the whole messy scene. It is a study of shapes, angles, textures and shades of black and grey - classic black and white and right up my street! Thanks very much David!

Thanks, and interesting how others view your photographs!!!!

Here's what I sent:

It's of the Black Spout, near Pitlochry. Very easy to get to, and there's even a decking platform to stand on. I quite like the photo though and I've actually got a print of it on my wall (tucked away so hardly anyone see's it but it still counts). My version i have a very light vignette, but i seemed to have removed it in the edit I sent.

Shot on a Sony a6000 with the 35mm 1.8. ISO 100 f/11 1/10sec

Print-wise, I don't do myself so i went to the printspace. I know nothing of different paper so I went C-type Matt. I was very pleased with the quality- it's far superior to the verson i have on the wall.

It's not the most exciting of photos, but i hope the recipient enjoys!

Last edited:
Here's what I sent:

And I was the recipient. I thought this was a lovely image that is worthy of wall space for sure. As others have mentioned, the physical print looks much better than the electronic version displayed here and the way the colourful trees frame the falls is very picturesque. The A4 print holds a lot of detail and the sharpness in the image is lovely. Not too much and not too little. Would make a terrifying jigsaw!!

I'll kick this off, please advise if I am doing it correctly.

I received my print last week. It was anonymous which I liked but it did leave me wondering where and who took the image. It is a fairly generic looking location which could be anywhere so that added to the anonymity. I would be interested to find out now though.

As to the print it was nicely done with a good exposure, lots of detail and a solid composition. I liked the moss and greenery in the foreground hanging on to the rocks hoping there wasn't a big storm that may wash them away. I also liked the sweep of the water coming in from the centre right and looking like it is almost travelling up hill. A nice splash of colour on the far bank with the lighter colour tree anchoring that corner and I really liked the branches within that splash of colour twisted and angled against the uniformity of the other trees.

All in all a very decent shot and well printed. The gloss paper suits it but did give me difficulty in photographing the print so the large hot spot is my image and not on the original print. There is a wee loss of detail in the water in the print but difficult to manage that with the long exposure and white water and it doesn't detract too much from the shot other all. Many thanks to the mystery sender.
View attachment 322148

If you looked all the clues were there as to who printed the shot along with my name on the return address on the postage label. Not as anonymous as you might think but you'd have to work a little to find out ;)
That was intensional to see if you'd manage to work out who sent it and where it came from.

I have got you this far may be you can now work out the place :D

Last edited:
If you looked all the clues were there as to who printed the shot along with my name on the return address on the postage label. Not as anonymous as you might think but you'd have to work a little to find out ;)
That was intensional to see if you'd manage to work out who sent it and where it came from.

I have got you this far may be you can now work out the place :D
I never even looked at the envelope so missed the mini treasure hunt. Managed to work out the place from the huge clue above and is now a mark on my Google Maps Photography places. Many thanks for the image, it is a good representation of the digital file and like most I like it printed better

View attachment 322367

I sent that one. One of my favourites from last year and my first visit to Spurn Point.
I actually got several "keepers" from that trip. But this is ear marked for going on the wall, once I make space.

Here's the goodies I received :D

The extra zine and a postcard with a message behind was nice. The shot seems to be from a lomo. It's not something I'd have dabbled in myself but receiving something unique or at least different was very exciting. It's certainly made this exercise all the more enjoyable for me and consider myself to have got the luck of the draw this time round.
The picture itself certainly has loads of atmospheric which I'm a big sucker for.

IMG_20210628_185734.jpg

IMG_20210628_185903.jpg

Last edited:
I never even looked at the envelope so missed the mini treasure hunt. Managed to work out the place from the huge clue above and is now a mark on my Google Maps Photography places. Many thanks for the image, it is a good representation of the digital file and like most I like it printed better

It's certainly looks better printed than digital.
It's a very nice place to go hiking, the trail is about 4 hours long. There's 4 (IMO 3.5) waterfalls in are area.
I tried to compose and capture something from a slightly different perspective to the standard ones you generally see from this area.

I'm glad you liked it :)

I already had a marker for one of the other falls so nice to know there is more than one place for a composition. I'm hoping to visit South Wales at some point soon so will see how close I am on the way down. Looks like a nice Autumn place

I already had a marker for one of the other falls so nice to know there is more than one place for a composition. I'm hoping to visit South Wales at some point soon so will see how close I am on the way down. Looks like a nice Autumn place
Indeed probably a great area for autumn.
I'd love to visit for the autumn but it's a bit far to just drop by one morning ;)

I'll share what I sent. The first shot is very local to me. It is where I walk my dog and she loves a swim just up river from the image. I quite like taking images that are difficult to repeat and this would fall in that category. There had been a heavy period of wind which had dislodge the leaves that combined with low water levels meant the leaves were swirling in the falls. The movement was created by the exit to the mill (out of shot camera left) clashing with the water over the falls. To top it off there was a fairly large floating log which I was able to move to divert the mill water to create the circle of the swirl where I wanted it.

Photography is also about sharing and I posted the shot on a local Facebook Photographers site with details and saw a good dozen recreations in the day or two following. None quite got the amount of leaves that I did or the nice light on the background and they never had the log as I sent that downstream. The shot was also chosen as it is two exposure to control movement. The top half was a short exposure and the bottom a 30 second exposure. I do this quite often when I want foliage and leaves to be still but movement in the water. Not a technique that is my own but one which I enjoy and use often. The last couple of autumns have not even came close to the conditions that day so it may well be a fairly rare shot to be able to capture at this location.

I printed on Tecco iridium silver gloss paper. I rarely use gloss paper but I wanted the sheen on the water to be maximised and this paper has a nice iridescence and is metallic too adding a bit of sparkle. I was pleased with the print so will use the paper for a bigger one for my wall.

by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

As I had used roll paper there was a nice A4 space left that enable a cheap bonus print. I chose my favourite subject, Seascapes, and also my favourite local area which is around Tantallon Castle. The shot was taken at Canty Bay which is rarely photographed and I have never seen the composition before so I thought it was a good example of my eye. It had to be an image that suited the paper and again the sheen on the rocks made it a good candidate. It had the same technique as I am not that keen on the long exposure skies.

by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

It was a total delight to receive this Simon! I particularly liked the story and details behind each image, it was a nice touch :D The choice of paper was interesting (I'm totally new to printing and have little idea when it comes to the different types of paper), but when I get my printer I'll invest in a few sheets to test with.

This is what I sent :)

I know a few people sent a print where they had some sort of connection with the subject matter, e.g... local area. In a way, I kind of regret not doing that. I'll do that next time :) I chose this print just because I had printed it out before and I thought it looked a bit better than alright, so it was a case of sending my recipient what I thought was one of my best printed images... if that makes sense..

I'm still waiting to receive my first proper photo printer, so it was lab printed and despatched via Loxley using their lustre option. Hopefully for the round I'll have my printer and I can begin the fun of experimenting with paper!

Canary Wharf by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

This is what I sent :)

I know a few people sent a print where they had some sort of connection with the subject matter, e.g... local area. In a way, I kind of regret not doing that. I'll do that next time :) I chose this print just because I had printed it out before and I thought it looked a bit better than alright, so it was a case of sending my recipient what I thought was one of my best printed images... if that makes sense..

I'm still waiting to receive my first proper photo printer, so it was lab printed and despatched via Loxley using their lustre option. Hopefully for the round I'll have my printer and I can begin the fun of experimenting with paper!

Canary Wharf by Ben Cremin, on Flickr
That is a cracking shot. Love the scale and also the reflections of the windows giving a strong diagonal lead. Classy stuff

Thank you to my sender for the fine Equine print, don't think I have ever had anything even remotely similar.
Nice subtle tones and softly sidelit by sunlight, very mellow and makes a nice change from the stark contrast you often see.

If I could find the square type usb lead I need for my scanner It would be shown here.
Seeing as I know who sent it (obviously) perhaps they could display it on here for me please.
Would also be interested to know why they chose this particular photo to print.

Thank you

Thank you to my sender for the fine Equine print, don't think I have ever had anything even remotely similar.
Nice subtle tones and softly sidelit by sunlight, very mellow and makes a nice change from the stark contrast you often see.

If I could find the square type usb lead I need for my scanner It would be shown here.
Seeing as I know who sent it (obviously) perhaps they could display it on here for me please.
Would also be interested to know why they chose this particular photo to print.

Thank you

Thank you Rich.

I actually chose it because it is a mellow scene. I had experimented with some high contrast, B&W and got some good results on Canson Baryta Prestige and you almost got one of those (an old Rover car). But at some point I recognised that I wanted to do something different from what I had set out to do and what I knew would be a popular approach among contributors.

There is something about this image that makes me smile and feel relaxed. I keep it as a background on one of my monitors, for when work or life gets a bit too stressful. It's not an image that you have to think too much about, WYSISYG for sure. Yet it can still ask a question or two? What are they looking at? Are they stood like that to maximise the sun exposure? It was shot in February 2021 so it would have been a little chilly.

I was happy with my paper choice (I think it was Canson Baryta Photographique II) though I would love to get suggestions form the more experienced printers among you of other papers I could try for this image.

Here it is:

Rich (BB code):

It was shot on my EM1 MkII with an adapted 135mm F/2.8 lens (can't remember which one).

Thanks Morris, seems we agree about the mellow and relaxing feel to the print.

Also liked the bonus "you should have gone to S...savers" print and yes I did get the humorous take on it
Very topical considering my daughter is an Optometrist at one of their high st rivals

Received my swap today, thank you Andrea, fantastic.

Apologies for the poor scan, it looks way better in person)

The print version was tweaked slightly but this is the version on Flickr. It was from my first night sky outing here on the island and definitely won't be my last. As I wrote in my note to Mark @MrDrizz it was a wonderful, peaceful experience to be out under the stars and watching the sky change. I printed it at home with my Canon pigment printer on Permajet Oyster 271, which is my favourite general purpose paper. Glad you liked it, Mark :)

Heavens Above
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back