weekly RG Miller 2016 - 52 Challenge

Nicely focused, shame about the light reflection on the yellow.

Danger - very well composed, the red stands out nicely against the background

Topical - I like hte idea and the use of the in and out signs but the layer on top with the rotation just makes my head hurt

The living world - i have no idea what that is but i like the yellow agaist the greenary :)

Thanks Ruth! Re Topical - I am sure all our heads will hurt by 23rd June!! :confused:

Last edited:
Hi Richard

Topical - definitely on theme and although the images themselves (in & out) are too small to comment technically on the photos, the image works. It is abstract and slightly unsettling to look at - which adds to it for me.
Living world - nicely shot and definitely on theme, but I'd like to try to squeeze a touch more DOF to get the subject that tiny bit sharper... may have required a different angle to get all of it in the same plane of focus, perhaps? Well lit and a good shot still.

Thanks Paul - I would have liked the green leaves? a little sharper - laying on the ground on the dark though I had a few goes! Perhaps a slightly wider aperture would have nailed it!

Nicely focused, shame about the light reflection on the yellow.

Thanks Tim - I knocked the highlights back a little in RAW - I could have gone a little further I guess? I was using a LED lamp for lighting - overall quite pleased with the result!

Thanks for the Comments!

Thanks Paul - I would have liked the green leaves? a little sharper - laying on the ground on the dark though I had a few goes! Perhaps a slightly wider aperture would have nailed it!

I reckon you meant to type smaller aperture / larger f-number... (I type them the wrong way around sometimes as well, mind!) - if so, spot on.

Camo - I agree with :

I need new glasses or a new brain I thought it was a scale model!! Fits the theme for me

Dangerous - Red flag and a warning sign - how much more dangerous can you get ? :D

Topical - lovely abstract and very topical !

Living world - nice POV and DOF, angle and vivid colours, I like it

Lovely shot for Living World Richard. Can't beat a Crocus this time of year!

Hi Richard

The living world is a good image, really like the dark background, sets the image of a treat,

Spiky, superbly taken image, not a lot to add. Love the colours and relfection

Last edited:
Spiky.... First thing that sprang to mind was Oooer Missus!
Great shot...fun!

Spiky - I like the contrast between the spines and the black background but the way you have tried to darken the background has is not quite right

Nice and sharp (ouch) Richard (y)

That's a good shot, Richard - I do like it and lovely clean background. Having a "proper" surface works well, too. My only tiny crit would be the spikes blend a little into the green of the cactus towards the front, perhaps because of the fairly full (but perfectly correct) exposure of the cactus itself. Maybe a different lighting set-up - more side or even back - could help pick out those spines a little more against the green? Thinking about it more - I'd love to see it backlit with rim lighting all around those spiky spikes!

Still a great shot though...

Living World: The crocus shot's great, the limited colour pallet makes it really stand out.

Spiky: Good choice to include the cheery pot, which adds some charm to this one.

Living World - what a great shot nice clena and simple the crocus really does stand out.

Spiky - Really nice bright shot the spikes really stnad out love the colours and reflection of the pot. But as other have said there is a slight halo around it

There is a halo or something I see now it's been pointed out. :)

Great image, lovely lighting job. (y)

Hi Richard

The living world is a good image, really like the dark background, sets the image of a treat,

Spiky, superbly taken image, not a lot to add. Love the colours and relfection

excellent great colours and very bright

Lovely vivid colours and those spikes stand out so well against that black bg. Spot on theme. :clap:

Nicely taken, well lit and vibrant colours.
Am I detecting some kind of halo / issue with masking around the spikes against the background though?

Spiky.... First thing that sprang to mind was Oooer Missus!
Great shot...fun!

Spikes stand out really well against the black Richard and we even have spikes on the pot :) a nice simple composition it works very well.

Spiky - I like the contrast between the spines and the black background but the way you have tried to darken the background has is not quite right

Nice and sharp (ouch) Richard (y)

Very nice. If a little sterile. I like the way the colour palette.

YAY !!! welcome to the cacti club :D

Nicely lit this one Richard, I feel the colours go really well and the whole thing has a mexican look to it, nice and spiky indeed :)

That's a good shot, Richard - I do like it and lovely clean background. Having a "proper" surface works well, too. My only tiny crit would be the spikes blend a little into the green of the cactus towards the front, perhaps because of the fairly full (but perfectly correct) exposure of the cactus itself. Maybe a different lighting set-up - more side or even back - could help pick out those spines a little more against the green? Thinking about it more - I'd love to see it backlit with rim lighting all around those spiky spikes!

Still a great shot though...

Living World: The crocus shot's great, the limited colour pallet makes it really stand out.

Spiky: Good choice to include the cheery pot, which adds some charm to this one.

Living World - what a great shot nice clena and simple the crocus really does stand out.

Spiky - Really nice bright shot the spikes really stnad out love the colours and reflection of the pot. But as other have said there is a slight halo around it

Spiky - great shot, nice and sharp ;) and the black BG and reflection on the table only add to the shot too. Like it! (y)

There is a halo or something I see now it's been pointed out. :)

Great image, lovely lighting job. (y)

What a great cactus and loving the pot too :D lovely image bang on theme !

Thanks everyone! Been a bit of a crazy week at work so just catching up with the comments!! Thanks for all the support! Just made the Friday +self imposed+ deadline for Artificial but there have been some great shots thus week.

Works well for artificial Richard. I must admit to be a little surprised just how close a colour match the plastic flower is to the real thing. Spot on. :clap:

Nice work Richard, I didn't immediately spot the the artificial connection (y)

I have to admit I was struggling to see the artificial element in this!!
Now I see it, it still looks VERY real!!
Very nicely done.

Back