weekly Rox’s TP 52 Challenge 2021

I really like this Roxanne. Simple and nicely composed with a textured background that doesn't detract.

I think you missed the link off the main thread, making it a bit trickier to get here :)

I really like this Roxanne. Simple and nicely composed with a textured background that doesn't detract.

I think you missed the link off the main thread, making it a bit trickier to get here :)

absolute amateur! Thanks for pointing that out ha ha! Glad you like it. Really trying to get out of my comfort zone and try new things for the 52

Week 07 - (depict a) Film
Studio advice welcome, especially in regards to camera settings with continuous lighting!

7BA09373-6BE1-43C2-B038-17406FD24181.jpeg

I don't think there's anything wrong with the settings. It's difficult to tell if it's sharp because the forum messes with the sharpness (blurs it a bit) when you upload as an attachment. So whilst this image looks a little fudgy, I suspect the original is good. Focus appears to be on the eyes, and I don't think your aperture choice has made much of a difference. Presumably your model wasn't swinging the glass around and you used a reasonably fast shutter.

For me, the lighting is a bit harsh, but you've gone with a white background so the brighter light isn't so forceful Might be worth just backing the lights off a bit (distance wise) to soften the shadows and reduce the glare. Angled collar bone to the camera and towards the glass is a really nice touch, and I do think the glass adds a nice balance.

I think this is a really good effort if you're not used to this sort of photography. Be wary of hands under chins as they can squash the jaw. On an older model that would not be a good look :) Allowing the pedant out for a sec, I'd lose the tiny triangle of light on the bottom edge in the middle, either with a crop or more likely with a blob of black paint. The slash of skin to the (camera) left of the chin-prop-hand is slightly unbalancing. I'd probably have directed the model to move their supporting hand a bit to the (camera) right so their chin was a bit more central on the palm. Lift the head a tad and just rotate it half an inch to either hide or reveal the ear (camera) right. Of course, if this was a selfie that's all moot :)

Sorry for going on, I just think it's a really good portrait and with some really minor tweaks, could be great.

As to the film... Breakfast at Tiffany's?

I have no advice about studio lighting as I know nothing about it. What I do know is that I like the picture and it's a nice take on the theme.

I'm guessing the hand under the jaw was to replicate something like this:

breakfast-at-tiffanys-558f22cfb77c0.jpg

I'm afraid I don't have any 'advice' on the lighting as I wouldn't know what to suggest.

It's quite similar to the one above in that it's fairly evenly lit. But you might want to consider a stronger light on one side rather than both to add a little drama.

That's a really nice BG for the shades, but the shades on top of head (as in the Film shot) would have been amazing.

Film: very well done, it's not easy putting something like that together. Fab idea, choice for the theme.

Pair
I might have moved the glasses a bit to be in an open area so that they didn't have the contrasting colours around their edges, but that is me being picky.

Film title
I did guess the title, although it's not one I've seen, hard to tell if the black needs slightly more detail as appear more silhouette like, although the image posted of the actual film appears the same, possibly your image is being affected adversely by the changes you have no control over (how the website displays the image)

Lovely shot to me - I knew what it was immediately so you've captured the essence of the film. Can't advise on lighting I'm afraid... not my bag :)

Pair
The glasses are well positioned on the really good background.

Film
Good job on this. Well posed and composed. The Black's maybe a little dark, but I don't think it's a deal breaker.

I bet you could not recreate the shot, just how much cake is left now...;):)

Not something I would have thought of, but very refreshing, nice suble colours well capture, nice details in the texture of the cake.

Pete

I bet you could not recreate the shot, just how much cake is left now...;):)

Not something I would have thought of, but very refreshing, nice suble colours well capture, nice details in the texture of the cake.

Pete
Absolutely not ha ha! The cake was for another shoot and we didn’t realise it would be on theme until we cut it (y) thank your for you comments

Lovely shot to me - I knew what it was immediately so you've captured the essence of the film. Can't advise on lighting I'm afraid... not my bag :)
Really nice interpretation. Smashing photo.
Pair
The glasses are well positioned on the really good background.

Film
Good job on this. Well posed and composed. The Black's maybe a little dark, but I don't think it's a deal breaker.

Thank you :giggle:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the settings. It's difficult to tell if it's sharp because the forum messes with the sharpness (blurs it a bit) when you upload as an attachment. So whilst this image looks a little fudgy, I suspect the original is good. Focus appears to be on the eyes, and I don't think your aperture choice has made much of a difference. Presumably your model wasn't swinging the glass around and you used a reasonably fast shutter.

For me, the lighting is a bit harsh, but you've gone with a white background so the brighter light isn't so forceful Might be worth just backing the lights off a bit (distance wise) to soften the shadows and reduce the glare. Angled collar bone to the camera and towards the glass is a really nice touch, and I do think the glass adds a nice balance.

I think this is a really good effort if you're not used to this sort of photography. Be wary of hands under chins as they can squash the jaw. On an older model that would not be a good look :) Allowing the pedant out for a sec, I'd lose the tiny triangle of light on the bottom edge in the middle, either with a crop or more likely with a blob of black paint. The slash of skin to the (camera) left of the chin-prop-hand is slightly unbalancing. I'd probably have directed the model to move their supporting hand a bit to the (camera) right so their chin was a bit more central on the palm. Lift the head a tad and just rotate it half an inch to either hide or reveal the ear (camera) right. Of course, if this was a selfie that's all moot :)

Sorry for going on, I just think it's a really good portrait and with some really minor tweaks, could be great.

As to the film... Breakfast at Tiffany's?

Thank you so much for you comments here. I really appreciate the time and pointers. The hand placement was from the original but I can absolutely see what you mean.
As for the lights, I will absolutely try that! I have quite a thin but long space so still working out the positioning. What would you recommend settings wise for a continuous light is such set up?
Thanks again for your advice :giggle:

As for the lights, I will absolutely try that! I have quite a thin but long space so still working out the positioning. What would you recommend settings wise for a continuous light is such set up?

If you're working in a very tight space it can be really difficult to experiment. I struggle a lot with limited space and knowing you need to move the light back 2 feet when you've only got 2cm is no fun :)

It's very difficult to say what sort of settings to use because it will depend on the modifier (what diffuses the light), the brightness controls you have, and the space available. I would start by just dialling down the power a bit and see how it goes. It's very much personal taste though!

Reflection
The swan is a little bright and has lost a little detail in the feathers, but the reflection is looking good and has detail.

^^^ Yep those. Nice reflection!

Very nice Roxanne. Composition is spot on.

Half
It's cake, what is not to like! Is it a knife in the bottom left? I think it could have a more prominent role.

Reflection
Agree with others about the lost detail in the top half with its being too exposed. Nice movement of the swan through the water which has been well defined

Reflection
The swan is a little bright and has lost a little detail in the feathers, but the reflection is looking good and has detail.
Lovely reflection, but the top halfit's definitely a bit hot.
^^^ Yep those. Nice reflection!
Lovely reflection - looks like you were quite close. Agree re the whites and detail. White birds often a bit of a challenge.
Half
It's cake, what is not to like! Is it a knife in the bottom left? I think it could have a more prominent role.

Reflection
Agree with others about the lost detail in the top half with its being too exposed. Nice movement of the swan through the water which has been well defined

I had a play around with the edit - Is this any better? Thank you all for your feedback :)
CE3BE23F-E954-4F52-A6C3-A4F6F7D58DFE.jpeg

Rough on the tree that has survived for centuries only to have some pathetic little git say 'oh, wouldn't it be fun to set fire to this'.

Nice roughness there.

Back