weekly Seaodysseys 52 for 2021 (Critique Welcome) Week 51 & 52

Week34 Glass

Picture of a very old wine bottle with a screw top. There is some dirt inside which I would not be able to clean off.

Week33 Glass2 by Peter, on Flickr

Thank you
Pete

Last edited:
That's a very characterful bottle, which i'm sure could tell some tales. Nice simple composition with plenty of detail

Fur
I like the pp and the natural, real life setting.

Clean
I think a little crop, to just below the curtain. I do like the pov.

That's a very characterful bottle, which i'm sure could tell some tales. Nice simple composition with plenty of detail
Thank you Jim
Fur
I like the pp and the natural, real life setting.

Clean
I think a little crop, to just below the curtain. I do like the pov.
Thank you Dom, not sure the Mrs would want her head chopped in half ;)
Nice old bottle well presented
Thank you Allan
Subtly lit.. makes a simple but effective image.
Thank you Helen

Snappers choice
I think it's a technique that takes a bit of practice. You can get all sorts of different effects depending on the type and direction of the light.

That's a different effect from some others that I've looked at but interesting all the same. It has a vintage feel to it.

Snappers choice
I think it's a technique that takes a bit of practice. You can get all sorts of different effects depending on the type and direction of the light.
It is not easy is it, holding the camera not very steady and holding the lens again not that steady, fingers crossed you get a picture that is not all washed out.
That's a different effect from some others that I've looked at but interesting all the same. It has a vintage feel to it.
It does, looks like its been hanging on the wall in some glare for decades.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Pete

I like the textures, and the hard shadow in unnatural. A nice take on the theme too.

Natural is a nice idea, but there's a tiny bit of what I assume is motion blur or an oof area in the middle of the plant head that blurs into the oof backround. That draws my eye a little.

Two nice shots and contrasting environments.

Unnatural - You say it'san unnatural place for plants to grow. My garden and garage would beg to differ ;)
Natural - I have to agree with NickD, that blur at the top of the plant is a bit distracting. Was it motion blur? I'm thinking it was a DoF thing.

I like the textures, and the hard shadow in unnatural. A nice take on the theme too.

Natural is a nice idea, but there's a tiny bit of what I assume is motion blur or an oof area in the middle of the plant head that blurs into the oof backround. That draws my eye a little.
Hi Nick, I think the oof seeds are where I was too close for the lens, it's very difficult to see it on the evf or backscreen, my eyeballs have failed their mots for the last 20years or so.
Two nice shots and contrasting environments.
Thanks Dave
Unnatural - You say it'san unnatural place for plants to grow. My garden and garage would beg to differ ;)
Natural - I have to agree with NickD, that blur at the top of the plant is a bit distracting. Was it motion blur? I'm thinking it was a DoF thing.
Hi Tim see the reply to NickD above.

Thank you for your comments
Pete

Reactions: LC2
Glass: really nicely lit bottle and it's a lovely shape. I have some little ball bearings that you swish around the bottom of vases in soapy water to clean difficult spots.

I agree with @HelenC that your free lensing has a vintage feel to it.

Unnatural and Natural are on theme. I would never have thought to have a plant growing in an unnatural spot - good idea!

Unnatural
Aren't plants amazing, they'll grow anywhere. The green is nice and strong against the grey.

Natural
Good looking seed head.

Autumn
It's certainly got the autumn colours.

Given the blue sky, I can't help wishing the sun had been in a different position, illuminating the wall & door.
I feel that some kind of hard light (perhaps casting shadows at an angle) would move it to another level.

An interesting building, but agree with Tim, some brighter light/sun would have added a bit of zing to this.

Lots of textures and olde world charm.

As mentioned shame about the sun, but we work with what we have at the time (y)

Given the blue sky, I can't help wishing the sun had been in a different position, illuminating the wall & door.
I feel that some kind of hard light (perhaps casting shadows at an angle) would move it to another level.

An interesting building, but agree with Tim, some brighter light/sun would have added a bit of zing to this.

It was taken on near the north coast of Crete, at least this time of year it does not get any Sun. TPE will confirm this. I have another picture of a old door also in Crete which has a diagonal shadow across it.

Lots of textures and olde world charm.

As mentioned shame about the sun, but we work with what we have at the time (y)
Thank You Chris, yes we try and do

Pete

It was taken on near the north coast of Crete, at least this time of year it does not get any Sun. TPE will confirm this. I have another picture of a old door also in Crete which has a diagonal shadow across it.

Thank You Chris, yes we try and do

Pete
Ah ok.
Still like the door/building though.

Both work nicely on theme(s) Pete

Bang on theme. The creepers all seem very, very red this year.

Week 42 Irregular

This is a guys front garden, looks like he is trying to grow some stones, I don't think it's working but it is Very Irregular.
Looking at the Satelite View on Google Maps it looks like his rear garden has also had the same treatment.
I think he's getting tired of the look as he has painted some of the stones near the house white, but gave up, he has also scattered some whire pebbles in a irregular fashion.

Week 42 Irregular by Peter Dyson, on Flickr

Pete
PS it looks better on Flickr

That's pretty irregular!
Not my idea of a nice garden, but each to their own - maybe he's stopping people parking!

Yes its a bit weird, but certainly on theme :)

Back