SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

So second frame of the day in the bag.

Sky was crap but not too much in the scene anyway.
Thé kit is still set up and the sky is changing so I might be tempted to grab another although a soft grad will be necessary I think as the sky is considerably brighter than the rest of the scene.

View attachment 283332
And a result ;)
One that I’m very pleased with as it has come out just as I’d planned at time of exposure with the old tabaco shop , the auberge sign with its two lamps captured just above the wall of the old bridge, the electric lantern hanging under the bridge archway and the panel on the wall beyond depicting some details of the old bridge.

The only thing that is missing is detail in the sky which was very little at the time of exposure and the negative shows none, however I have scanned this neg and found that there is a little bit of detail available but it will take a lot of work to retrieve it and keep the scene looking uncooked, both as a wet print and even in PS

Talking of dodging / burning, yesterdays image of the windmill, now dry looks better than I thought and the buntin is clearly visible on the print.

0CDF803A-9BCC-45FC-AA9B-0EA27E86A947.jpeg

Last edited:
And a result ;)
One that I’m very pleased with as it has come out just as I’d planned at time of exposure with the old tabaco shop , the auberge sign with its two lamps captured just above the wall of the old bridge, the electric lantern hanging under the bridge archway and the panel on the wall beyond depicting some details of the old bridge.

The only thing that is missing is detail in the sky which was very little at the time of exposure and the negative shows none, however I have scanned this neg and found that there is a little bit of detail available but it will take a lot of work to retrieve it and keep the scene looking uncooked, both as a wet print and even in PS

Talking of dodging / burning, yesterdays image of the windmill, now dry looks better than I thought and the buntin is clearly visible on the print.

View attachment 298431
I like the photo but I think the cheap plastic picture frame spoils it a bit.

;)

How much easier is focusing with the viewing back on the camera as opposed to viewing directly on the groundglass?
Are they as good as some folk make out?
I suspect that they aren’t compatible between different cameras/ manufacturers.

It’s not like I need another accessory to carry :rolleyes:

How much easier is focusing with the viewing back on the camera as opposed to viewing directly on the groundglass?

I have a troubed history with darkcloths, so this device saves me loads of aggravation. I also prefer looking down rather than bending down to look through the GG with a loupe, but all personal preference. (y) It's actually a Cambo accessory, or at least it has a Cambo sticker on it, but it didn't fit Nick's Chroma when we tried it at Onich, so it's camera dependent. It is awkward to carry, but worth it for me as it weighs next to nothing.

i really like the second composition of the cottage.
A beautiful range of tones nicely captured.
Worthy of a wet print imo
Thanks Asha, but I don't have a working 5x4 enlarger as I gave it away. :oops: :$

Two 13x18 exposures captured just a few meters from my front door.

Hope to soup them later today using a 20th Century Camera quickload spiral borrowed from @StephenM

I’m confident the development will go ok but should it not due to my incompetence using an unfamiliar method, it won’t be a catastrophy seeing as the images captured are pretty mundane and can, should I wish, be easily taken again.

Hmm crooked neck time again...sorry, but the images are actually upright on my phone!!
E77DBC13-F246-4460-A7B5-AA7EF528553F.jpeg
85055439-8D47-4826-BCC5-9434280F3424.jpeg

Here's hoping you manage with a new developing method...

I have a viewer for my Toyo but it's a very substantial monorail which I can't ever imagine taking out on location so, for convenience, the viewer is a no brainer. It offers a modest amount of magnification and certainly allows me to to focus adequately.

I also have one for my Horseman 6x9, a minature camera in your view I'm sure. Once again, although I do intend one day to take the Horseman out and about, I would accept the extra bulk as, let me tell you, focussing a 6x9 using the ground glass screen is tricky, especially for someone whose eyesight is compromised.

You want to try this one Asha, if you think 6x9 is a miniature format. Mind you, if @Andysnap keeps complaining about the weight of some cameras then one of these will probably be on his shopping list soon... it's an Ensign too Andy! (y) ;) :exit:

I had two of them , different models and got images from them ;)

That was when I had huge collection of more than 100 film caméras ( near to 150 iirc) plus a load of associated accessories.
I did a mammoth 52’er on here with some of them during one year......Never again as the work and effort involved was immense especially with cameras like these which required a manipulation of film and processing methods. I might add that I had a photo out of every single camera, regardless of age or format......sometimes only the one photo due to the difficulties involved but it was satisfying to achieve from some very old kit,
I even refurbished a couple of them including a Lancaster half plate LF that was destined for the bin!
I think the only person who saw that collection was Richard ( aka @medwaygreen ) who hasn’t been on here for yonks..... has anyone heard from him??

Perhaps Nick @RaglanSurf got a chance to view the gear too when he was in this area...... I can’t remember tbh.

Last edited:
I had two of them , different models and got images from them ;)

That was when I had huge collection of more than 100 film caméras ( near to 150 iirc) plus a load of associated accessories.
I did a mammoth 52’er on here with some of them during one year......Never again as the work and effort involved was immense especially with cameras like these which required a manipulation of film and processing methods. I might add that I had a photo out of every single camera, regardless of age or format......sometimes only the one photo due to the difficulties involved but it was satisfying to achieve from some very old kit,
I even refurbished a couple of them including a Lancaster half plate LF that was destined for the bin!
I think the only person who saw that collection was Richard ( aka @medwaygreen ) who hasn’t been on here for yonks..... has anyone heard from him??

Perhaps Nick @RaglanSurf got a chance to view the gear too when he was in this area...... I can’t remember tbh.
That's great, sadly the shutter doesn't work on mine and the lens focus is seized up, so even if I wanted I wouldn't be able to use it. The laughable thing is that the actual image frame size on that Midget is larger than standard 35mm, not by much, but it is! :giggle:

That's great, sadly the shutter doesn't work on mine and the lens focus is seized up, so even if I wanted I wouldn't be able to use it. The laughable thing is that the actual image frame size on that Midget is larger than standard 35mm, not by much, but it is! :giggle:

one of my favourite little folders that actually uses 35mm film was this model KodakRetinette 017
If I was tempted into shooting that format again( I actually have three rolls of film in the fridge inc one acros!!!) then this is the camera I would like to use.
t’The Schneider lens was pin sharp.)

CEE8CCC1-12CF-4E27-AB5E-042579A49A4E.jpeg

Last edited:
Two 13x18 exposures captured just a few meters from my front door.

Hope to soup them later today using a 20th Century Camera quickload spiral borrowed from @StephenM

I’m confident the development will go ok but should it not due to my incompetence using an unfamiliar method, it won’t be a catastrophy seeing as the images captured are pretty mundane and can, should I wish, be easily taken again.

Hmm crooked neck time again...sorry, but the images are actually upright on my phone!!
View attachment 298638
View attachment 298639
Got results , one neg looks fine but thé other one has a serious problem.
Anyone care to offer the potential cause of
I feel sure it’s development / chemical related.
Perhaps contamination of some sort.
Both sheets devd in same tank at the same time in a 20th Century Camera spiral.

C4DEEBBB-03D8-4A66-ACED-2BACCE324795.jpegC4E7E033-EDB0-4C32-8E0A-F285A5C4F6C6.jpegE5B4FF77-BE12-4B30-8792-F9C541BDE24D.jpeg

No idea what the issue is but it looks great.

"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate."

Last edited:
I'd prefer to see thenegative, but to my mind it looks as though the emulsion was in contact with the other sheet. I had this happen with the first film I ever developed.

Any colours on the negative - a sort of purple tint?

I'd prefer to see thenegative, but to my mind it looks as though the emulsion was in contact with the other sheet. I had this happen with the first film I ever developed.

Any colours on the negative - a sort of purple tint?
Nope no colours.

I could be tempted to agree about contact except for two important facts.
This sheet was the innermost sheet thus the emulsion side coud touch nothing but the center of the spiral.
There was no evidence that either sheet had moved out of their respective slots in the spirak( they are quite firm when seated correctly)

Neither neg holds an important image..... fortunately.

The only other possible clue (which I haven't solved) is that both negatives appear to be fogged at the edges, but the first really badly fogged.

I can't think of any chemical effect that could give this fogging that can occur from any mixing of developer/stop/fix. As the inner sheet, it would be the one most susceptible to light entering the tank via the central hole that cyclinrical tanks have. Did you use the central rod thingy to hold the spiral, and was it a Paterson or a Jobo?

Last edited:
The only other possible clue (which I haven't solved) is that both negatives appear to be fogged at the edges, but the first really badly fogged.
Well spotted.
Some checks of accessories necessary !

I can't think of any chemical effect that could give this fogging that can occur from any mixing of developer/stop/fix. As the inner sheet, it would be the one most susceptible to light entering the tank via the cenral hole that cyclinrical tanks have. Did you use the central rod thingy to hold the spiral, and was it a Paterson or a Jobo?
Paterson tank.
Central column in place along with the two rubber rings in place that come with the spiral.

When the tank is dry I’ll load it with the spiral and a sheet of paper then sit it under light for a short time to see if the paper fogs.

if not then the problem lies elsewhere:runaway:

No idea what the issue is but it looks great.

"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate."

Ah, a quote from one of my favourite films.

I've finally remembered to take some photos, whilst I'm out taking photos (if that makes any sense to anyone other than me...)

I've joined the ranks of ex-pats out taking LF photos! 8 sheets of 4x5 exposed today - a good day!!

Theoretically, today was a day in the office - the office is a working flying squadron, and the weather for our destination today was forecast to be somewhere between awful, and bl**dy awful (and unusually, the forecast was accurate!) Hence - last night I packed up my LF kit along with my lunch :)

I drive home past the National Desert Wildlife Refuge in Nevada:

Being out of town - it's near an area where quite of lot of "interesting" behaviour takes place. Think red-neck barbecues (burning rubbish), red-neck fireworks (shooting guns) etc. I've never had any problems here - about the only sign that you're somewhere where this happens is some of the signs:

And of course there's always the reminder that you're in a desert, and it's not rained in a while...

But the area is beautiful!

There's a couple of miles of trails with some interesting subjects - I had 2 in mind for today.

The first was a couple of Nuwuvi mortars down this path - hiking out in the desert is just amazing, especially in areas like this which are near water. The wildlife is all around you, but perfectly hidden. I walked past tortoise or jack rabbit burrows and coyote scat, and saw chipmunks and a whole bunch of phainopepla.

The mortars are set in a stone which looks pleasingly like a skull - perfect for a couple of weeks ago!

I had my Intrepid Mk4 with me, and 5 DDS holders loaded with FP4+ - and whilst I had my new (to me) Symar-S 210mm, this first exposure needed my 90mm!

And apparently I can only post 8 images... Sorry for the double post!

The main area I wanted to focus (!) on was not far past these mortars, and right next to a refugium recreating the environment for Pahrump poolfish - you can just about see one of them centre bottom of this photo with its skin reflecting the sunlight back at me.

The refugium's windows gave me the first selfie opportunity (I understand they're obligatory for this thread?!)

But the subject was these sheds and shacks, built out of the sleepers of the railway that used to run from Las Vegas to the Goldfield gold mines

A few exposures were made here... The shutter in this lens is significantly more modern that than in my old SC 90mm, and is much easier to use (the lever to open it, and the T setting are both missing in the 90mm!) I'm already a big fan of this lens! Just hope the times are accurate...

Who needs a drop bed...

The sun was getting a little aggressive by now, so I retreated to the creek and made two more exposures, mostly because I don't like leaving my SP-445 tank only half loaded...

And that's it! Back to the (home) office for the afternoon, but hopefully I'll get time to dev the sheets tomorrow or Tuesday (mainly because I need to free up the holders for a trip to Tucson!)

Stay safe all.

So - this afternoon's tasks got, umm - procrastinated...

Everything got slowed down a little by decanting the last 250ml of my bottle of Ilfotec HC out of it's well marbled original bottle and in to a brand new chemical storage bottle. Then needing to mix new stop bath. And then needing to mix new fixer...

Like I said - procrastinated!!

Last edited:
Ok so it looks like I’m kicking this thread into first gear.
Out atm and have just taken this shot:

View attachment 281252

Camera today is Chamonix 45h-1

This filling station literally exploded , well the propane gas cyclinders did four years ago iirc. It is/ was the only fuel outlet in the village the next nearest being 20 km away.

Due Togo’s slow systems work out here when it comes to admin procedures thé reopening is still on hold even though there is an interested entrepreneur.
For me personally, no longer possessing à motorised vehicle, it poses no problem but for many locals it is a serious inconvenience.
Directly across the road is the present and old gendarmerie.
A building which will soon become abandoned as a new one is being built near to the railway station .
So I’m going to set up and hopefully shoot a frame depending how the light falls as atm there are some harsh conteast.

View attachment 281254

Nearly six months after exposing the scene ( which is now impossible asthe area is cordoned off with 8ft high wooden fencing), I’ve got myself a fibre print :p
Initial test strip with a 2.5 filter showed areas of burning required to get détail ( such as in the sky).
Instead , having watch several tutorials, I had a go at split grading.
A number of test strips, assessments and possibly a little bit of luck got me this result using to grades....grade 1 for 1 second and grade 5 for 9 seconds.

I’ve got the whites white, the blacks black and some detail in the sky so me is impressed.

Atm in artificial light I feel quite happy with it however it is still wet ( presently sat washing) so will likely darken a fraction as it dries, and also I base my photos beneath natural light so only time will tell if I need to re do the print.
‘If so, without a doubt it won’t need much adjustment as this one I think is darned close to what I want.
CAC9A29E-6EA7-4507-8E3D-C43C4579BCAD.jpeg

Last edited:
Print looks good Asha! I'm still trying to get my head around the theory of basic darkroom printing - looking forward to seeing if the practice matches in the New Year!

I scanned the 7 images today - I exposed the same scene of the three shacks on 2 sheets as the darkslide went in funny, and I thought I might have scrunched the film up. Not happy with 2 of them (I got my tripod and shadow in to the "skull" shot, and the first water scene is too much chaos / too little subject). Four are OK, but I'm really pleased with the final water exposure.

The 2 I'm least happy with:

The "OK" 4

And the one I am happiest with!

So - what I learned from this. My 90mm on 4x5 is still really wide, and wider than I expected. I have been taught this lesson before by this lens... One day it'll sink in!

I also learned that my new to me Symar-S 210mm is stupid sharp, but the shutter maybe runs a little slow as the negatives were denser than I'd like. I'll need to remember to either pull the development a bit in the future or trim the exposure a little - so looks like the lens needs a little more testing!

Last edited:
I have a troubed history with darkcloths, so this device saves me loads of aggravation. I also prefer looking down rather than bending down to look through the GG with a loupe, but all personal preference. (y) It's actually a Cambo accessory, or at least it has a Cambo sticker on it, but it didn't fit Nick's Chroma when we tried it at Onich, so it's camera dependent. It is awkward to carry, but worth it for me as it weighs next to nothing.
:oops: :$
Peter, I've always been puzzled by how the user is supposed to use a loupe with this set-up ... or is the view so much improved that a loupe is not needed ?

Peter, I've always been puzzled by how the user is supposed to use a loupe with this set-up ... or is the view so much improved that a loupe is not needed ?
You don't use a loupe Kevin, it's effectively a normal viewfinder that uses an angled mirror to help focus. I'm not sure how accurate it would be for critical work involving camera movements and particularly in the corners, but I'm just using it for landscapes with only a bit of tilt, like the one below. I wear varifocals and have frustrations with using a loupe, even after I've tamed the darkcloth! :banghead:

img429-copy-big-flickr-copy-tp.jpg

I should also say that it fits in the same way as a lensboard fits, and it's a really tight fit between the metal strips at either side as seen below, so possibly not suitable for all cameras.

20200919_132316-copy-tp.jpg

Last edited:
I too wear varifocals.

As for LF, i fully agree it’s an impossible situation hence I requested a second pair of specs with fixed ´reading’ focusing distance soecifically for the GG focusing.

Having discussed the problems that I was experiencing , the optician suggested the idea of a purpose pair of glasses for my togging.

When using the loupe, which has diopter control, the glasses are removed.

Failing eyesight makes any method awkward but there are options..... I guess it’s finding the one that suits best.

Contact lenses are of course another choice but I don’t think I could get on with them tbh.

You don't use a loupe Kevin, it's effectively a normal viewfinder that uses an angled mirror to help focus. I'm not sure how accurate it would be for critical work involving camera movements and particularly in the corners, but I'm just using it for landscapes with only a bit of tilt, like the one below. I wear varifocals and have frustrations with using a loupe, even after I've tamed the darkcloth! :banghead:

View attachment 299217

I should also say that it fits in the same way as a lensboard fits, and it's a really tight fit between the metal strips at either side as seen below, so possibly not suitable for all cameras.

View attachment 299218

Thanks for the helpful info, Peter

I too wear varifocals.

As for LF, i fully agree it’s an impossible situation hence I requested a second pair of specs with fixed ´reading’ focusing distance soecifically for the GG focusing.

Having discussed the problems that I was experiencing , the optician suggested the idea of a purpose pair of glasses for my togging.

When using the loupe, which has diopter control, the glasses are removed.

Failing eyesight makes any method awkward but there are options..... I guess it’s finding the one that suits best.

Contact lenses are of course another choice but I don’t think I could get on with them tbh.

I’ve never got on with varifocals so I have separate reading and distance glasses. I can focus using the distance specs + loupe but then I have difficulty seeing the aperture and shutter speed settings on the lens. I might try carrying a small magnifier as this would be less hassle than changing specs.

Back